• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puruzi

Banned
Better fairy.

gx0gnBM.jpg
The bird is better.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Unlike the other two, Siamour is only a mascot half of the time, so she's only half-shitty.

javac

Woah that's quite a gushing review. Cranking up my expectations. But is it better than Texhnolyze ? :p

Hah yeah I really enjoyed the show a lot. It’s one of those shows that rewards people who pay attention and makes for an engrossing experience. I'd say is very similar to Lain, apart from the fact that there's a LOT less dialogue and this tends to rely on the imagery and audio a lot more than Lain which can be a lot wordier towards the end.

It does have similarities to Texhnolyze in the sense that it too relies on the audio a whole lot and the show tends to use color in order to make its point. Both shows are 'show don't tell' in the way that they present their story, but for some odd reason for all the similarities on paper, I felt that the shows in practice present different propositions.

I will say that if you enjoyed both Lain and Texhnolyze, you'll be right at home with this. It's hard to pick one over the other, but I think we're in a fortunate position where we don't have to do such and can enjoy both and relish in their method of madness. You don't get shows like that these days (Aku no Hana was close in how it presents its story I feel, or at least as close as we'll get for the foreseeable future unless anyone else here has some good recommendations. I don't keep up to date with the new stuff).

I don't believe in top 5's as I find it hard to justify one show over another when I have a load of 10/10 shows, but for now I guess this is what you see on my profile:
Hope I helped, and I hope you enjoy the show when you check it out :) As a side note, I hear a few people compare Boogiepop to Paranoia Agent, but I haven't seen it yet myself *hangs head in shame* Also I forgot to mention in my review, I watched the show subbed in case anyone is wondering :p

kysousougiga - Final
So basically all that was all because the dad became a fucking lunatic somewhere along the line because reasons and started doing things just cause.

What a mess. Absolutely terrible. Started so good and just turned into this incomprehensible travesty.

So incredibly disappointed.

Well, too bad ;(

Not sure what's so incomprehensible though? The characters motivations were pretty clear, even the ones of the father, mind you it felt somewhat weird how
his first episode appearance made him appear like a mostly normal man (but then, really just on the surface) when he's actual a high-ranked god pretty much.
However the narrative came together pretty well for me and for what kind of story it was, it worked for me. I usually hate this kind of story (rather wacky, supernatural setting where just about everything can happen thanks to loosely defined limitations) but the execution suckered me way in.

Kyousougiga said:
"Once upon a time, there existed many realms, and the line between man and god was ill-defined. This is a certain family's story of love and rebirth."

To me, this anime delivered greatly on that premise or rather promise.

Oreca Battle 43

Rock episodes are always amazing, and this one was amazing.

Antagonist or the demon king this arc feels a bit weaker than the previous though. I dont know he he can even compare to Saqqara :(

Herobank Episode 43 - A Shock! Kaito Has Amnesia!
The ultimate herobutt episode. Even with Amnesia Kaito stills finds himself in tons of situations involving his butt. Even onee-sama had to get involved. It was hilarious.

Great battle outside of that, because of Sekito
finally he smiles and laughs, it was adorable and Kaito was there to witness it and feel inspired. He lives for smiles and to see the one who sees him as his first and best friend was awesome. No wonder Nagare feels jealous at times

Joe Molotov

Been playing eden*
PLUS+MOSIAC

I give it 10 "it's okay because they're really a thousand years old loli meidos" out of 10.

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 S1 END SPOILERS!!!!

Where have you been all my life Mobile Suit Gundam 00? My word that 1st season was intense. I was actually interested in all the underhanded political intrigue going on with Celestial Being. Every episode that Ms. Crossroad got a little bit closer to the truth I was practically biting my nails.
Imagine my disappointment that she meets her end in such a tragic fashion. I suspected that she would die this way but was hoping against hope that she would make it.

Oh and poor fucking Saji Crossword that guy simply cannot catch a break at every single turn gundam were there literally ruining his life and he's just some half broke college student with an overly affectionate girlfriend and I for good things for him in season 2. Akers throughout this season has improved as a character with each of his encounters with the gundam and I pray that he makes it through to the end of the series, though the effects of his mobile suit leave me worried. What surprised me the most out of all the characters were the dynamic between Soma Peries and Sergei Smirnov. I like how their relationship seems to be slowly turning into a father/daughter sort of deal this made even moreso by the events of the last episode. Oh and could someone fucking kill Marina Ismail? She has quickly led the pack for the absolute worst character in this show and offers nothing of value except as someone that makes Setsuna's cold dick hard. Oh and true to what DTL said, Ribbons Almark is fucking amazing and I'm looking forward to more of the guy.

Despite them being the protagonists I actively found myself rooting against the gundams and their pilots and was actually happy that the UN's forces were finally able to turn the tables on them and pose a threat to them. At no point in this story did I ever root for Celestial Being and their goals except when it was to take out the dude piloting the gold mobile suit at the end. Then there was my disappointment at the fact that Soma Peries and Sergei Smirnov weren't able to kill Allelujah because holy shit is that guy a fucking awful character with his dual personality bullshit. Oh well got rid of Lock-on so I can finally stop hearing his bullshit even better that the guy he thoguht he killed survived in the end. hahahahaha! Oh and let me note the gundam and mobile suit designs have all been amazing. Not too happy with Virtue's transformation but I'll take the good with the bad on that one.

I give Season 1 4.5 out of 5 ~wans

Onto Season 2!

Nafe

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

I'm not too familiar with the Gundam franchise. Somewhere probably in the late nineties to possibly the first couple years of the 2000's I had seen a little bit of Gundam Wing. I don't really remember much of anything about it though. Later around the mid 00's I saw most of Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny. In 2009 I thought about watching some Gundam and saw that Gundam 00 was the most recent one to have aired, so I actually watched all of it. I was actually looking forward to the film but like most people I found it to be disappointing when I got to watch it.

Initially Gundam Build Fighters didn't sound like it would be for me but seeing some comments and pictures from the show and I thought I'd change my mind and give it a try. I thought it was fun and entertaining right from the first episode and pretty much just loved it right away.

I'd heard different ones comment highly of the OVA series 0800: War in the Pocket. I gave the 6 OVA series a watch then and I really like it myself. I like the character designs of Haruhiko Mikimoto, who many people might know from Super Dimension Fortress Macross and the original designs of Gunbuster. ( He might have worked on later series of Macross as well, I don't know). The work is also probably notable as being the first Gundam anime that Yoshiyuki Tomino did not direct. I don't think he was involved in the making of the show at all? Possibly reference or something maybe.

It was an interesting side-story to the original series conflict which I wasn't really familiar with but it works fine as a standalone as well. Naturally it's still fiction but it feels more grounded or realistic than most the other Gundam works I had seen at this point. There were a few times in the show when I was wondering when things were going to take a darker turn and the reality of war would become clear to Al.

Due to the time gap between production of the shows, I like the "Alex" Gundam design here better than the original from the first series. The arm cannons come across as pretty powerful in the visuals here. I also like that the female character is shown to be not just good looking but a good competent character overall.

If you're a fan of Gundam, or even if you're not really familiar with it like myself, then War in the Pocket is a well made, good show that you might want to take a look at.

Also, the blue mobile suite that the Zeon guys used looked familiar and apparently it was called a "Kampfer". There was the "Kampfer Amazing" Gunpla that the Meijin uses in GBF, so that then was based off of the Kampfer unit here in War in the Pocket?

Narag

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
If you're a fan of Gundam, or even if you're not really familiar with it like myself, then War in the Pocket is a well made, good show that you might want to take a look at.

Also, the blue mobile suite that the Zeon guys used looked familiar and apparently it was called a "Kampfer". There was the "Kampfer Amazing" Gunpla that the Meijin uses in GBF, so that then was based off of the Kampfer unit here in War in the Pocket?

Neat, glad you liked it. 0080 is really great and sorta transcends the franchise to the point it's not just good Gundam but good anime period. And yes, the Kampfer Amazing was based on this and part of the reason some fans marked out at it appearing in the OP before it appeared in the show as it felt like it had been forgotten, ~chu.

I had the time to burn because it was my day off and I had all day to just watch anime since I had taken care all my business previously.

That said it'll probably take me weeks to finish S2.

javac

Most I watched in one go was the entirety of Now and Then, Here and There in one sitting. Sobbing. Marathoned through GTO, average 12 episodes a day. Also sobbing. For some reason I ended up watching the whole of Narutaru in one go too..no idea why. I still don't know if I enjoyed it or not. I..think I did? Dark times.

Nafe

Neat, glad you liked it. 0080 is really great and sorta transcends the franchise to the point it's not just good Gundam but good anime period. And yes, the Kampfer Amazing was based on this and part of the reason some fans marked out at it appearing in the OP before it appeared in the show as it felt like it had been forgotten, ~chu.

Okay, thanks for the confirmation. I also get the War in the Pocket reference from the later episode of the Gundam fair now as well.

I'm actually just finishing up watching the three movie version of the original series to get some added context and to see where the series began.

Narag

Okay, thanks for the confirmation. I also get the War in the Pocket reference from the later episode of the Gundam fair now as well.

That still upsets me and I can only sleep at night by believing it's secretly Gundam Valhalla.

I'm actually just finishing up watching the three movie version of the original series to get some added context and to see where the series began.
Very nice, you'll better understand just how much of a fanboy Sei really was. :lol I'd like to make time myself to go through those again some weekend but I'm apparently terrible at making time anymore, ~chu.

I marathoned Gurren Lagann after one particular episode early on. Ended up watching the entire show for the rest of the day, to which it subsequently became my favourite anime of all time.

The Idol Master 08

This episode is some type of comment on beauty and what really matters is what's inside. That or it's just stupid.

The Idol Master 09

Mrs. Peacock did it in the bathroom with a lead pipe.

can I guess which episode?

:'(

Yup, definitely that one.

Actually, you're wrong! (well sort of)

I wasn't exactly in the best mood after TTGL episode 8, considering that I watched it the same day Gargantia Episode 13 aired, where I watched another awesome character get killed off.

IIRC, I marathoned TTGL after episode 9, where I found myself unable to put it down. I could be wrong though, it was like, a year and a half ago when I watched for the first time, lol.

So yeah, you were close, but not on the dot correct. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom