• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

you should, considering that the anime's ending is original and shitty, and the manga's ending is tear inducing. Plus there's a whole lot of chapters the anime didn't cover.

Yeah the ending was weak, particularly the whole
Okinawa island trip arc
or whatever you want to call it. Even so, GTO is GTO and well, GTO is awesome :) I actually watched the 1998 live action GTO not too long after and I loved it! Tears were flowing ;(

Jarmel

Banned
Yuri Kuma-5
E5357.png

Yea that's a cheap plot trick.
So the show only displayed part of the picture and in the bottom she's holding Ginko? Are you fucking serious?
That's such a cheap narrative trick that I was shaking my head all through the OP. I'm also starting to really be worn down by Kureha as a main character.
izsRtKx1PFnO8.jpg

Sounds like she knew she was getting axed. Who writes a birthday letter a month in advance?
The girls are going to some extraordinary lengths to pull some Carrie level trolling.
Planting a garden just to mess with someone emotionally? Good lord at that dedication.
I also feel this is heavy handed as fuck.
iLj75e51aJ5fh.jpg

Didn't I just see Tomino pull this exact same shit?
Well I did appreciate the Ginko delusions.

Nafe

That still upsets me and I can only sleep at night by believing it's secretly Gundam Valhalla.

-Major Spoilers for the ending of Gundam 0800: War in the Pocket follow. Read at your own discretion.-

The show kind of rubs it in because not only are Bernie and Chris unknowingly fighting each other when they've started to become friends but it turns out the Nuclear attack Bernie is trying to prevent has already been prevented by others. Al is trying to tell him "You don't have to fight anymore" but can't get his attention...

Initially I thought the two of them were going to break the hatches of each others cockpits and see each other in a "it was you?!" kind of moment but they go with the more bittersweet ending that only Al is aware. Of course Bernie's message of "say hi to Chris for me" didn't help again.

Very nice, you'll better understand just how much of a fanboy Sei really was. :lol I'd like to make time myself to go through those again some weekend but I'm apparently terrible at making time anymore, ~chu.

I'll get more to it in a writeup but it was interesting to see Tohru Furuya doing the voice for Amuro and Keiko Han doing the voice for Lalah. I also see that Tomino had a running start with his crazy naming sense,haha. That and there is at least one slap per movie. The first two actually have probably three or four each.

Haikyuu 16

This episode did a good job of making me feel bad for the scrub teams. I do wish that the Karasuno female volleyball team had been a little more integrated into the beginning of the series instead of pulled out just before the Interhigh, but I did appreciate getting their perspective.

Yurikuma Arashi 5:
Another very strong episode, although not quite as consistent as last week's. This episode gave us some good delving into Ginko's motives and her past, although I think there's still a lot left to explore here. I appreciated seeing Lulu and Ginko's current perspective more, and getting to understand where they're coming from. The trial scenes also fit in more clearly based on this episode.

The school storyline is basically making an anime episode out of my greatest irrational fear when I was in middle school and high school.
I was pretty much always afraid that people were just going to pretend to be friends with me as part of some attempt to pull one over on me and humiliate me in front of everyone. So yeah, this episode actually hit close to home a little bit.
Ikuhara is being pretty on the nose with the exclusionary committee, but I think it works for the story he's trying to tell. Most of the themes of the show can be wrapped up neatly in stuff like the invisible storm, the yuri trials, and 'not backing down on love'.

Over the past two episodes, Yurikuma Arashi has really come into its own. The show has found a level of confidence in its story and themes, as well as finding a good pace for the story to move at. The final scene with
Ginko getting trapped and the exclusionary committee revealing that they knew Lulu and Ginko were bears
should bear some great fruit next week. I can bearly wait to see what happens next episode.

After seeing that gundam 00 post, I should maybe check it out.

It's pretty good, there is some odd nonsense in season 2 though in terms of it kinda just goes for stuff compared to how well season 1 handled things. But its a pretty good show overall, tons of haters who also think there is anything redeemable about Wing lol, not to call anyone on neogaf out because you know who you are :p But yeah, good animation and scenes, good voice acting, and a overall good plot if you don't dwell to hard on some of the side stories taking place during it. And just skip the movie, great animation there so maybe watch it for that, but takes a very cool story and just runs it off the bridge haha.

John Blade

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

I'm not too familiar with the Gundam franchise. Somewhere probably in the late nineties to possibly the first couple years of the 2000's I had seen a little bit of Gundam Wing. I don't really remember much of anything about it though. Later around the mid 00's I saw most of Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny. In 2009 I thought about watching some Gundam and saw that Gundam 00 was the most recent one to have aired, so I actually watched all of it. I was actually looking forward to the film but like most people I found it to be disappointing when I got to watch it.

Initially Gundam Build Fighters didn't sound like it would be for me but seeing some comments and pictures from the show and I thought I'd change my mind and give it a try. I thought it was fun and entertaining right from the first episode and pretty much just loved it right away.

I'd heard different ones comment highly of the OVA series 0800: War in the Pocket. I gave the 6 OVA series a watch then and I really like it myself. I like the character designs of Haruhiko Mikimoto, who many people might know from Super Dimension Fortress Macross and the original designs of Gunbuster. ( He might have worked on later series of Macross as well, I don't know). The work is also probably notable as being the first Gundam anime that Yoshiyuki Tomino did not direct. I don't think he was involved in the making of the show at all? Possibly reference or something maybe.

It was an interesting side-story to the original series conflict which I wasn't really familiar with but it works fine as a standalone as well. Naturally it's still fiction but it feels more grounded or realistic than most the other Gundam works I had seen at this point. There were a few times in the show when I was wondering when things were going to take a darker turn and the reality of war would become clear to Al.

Due to the time gap between production of the shows, I like the "Alex" Gundam design here better than the original from the first series. The arm cannons come across as pretty powerful in the visuals here. I also like that the female character is shown to be not just good looking but a good competent character overall.

If you're a fan of Gundam, or even if you're not really familiar with it like myself, then War in the Pocket is a well made, good show that you might want to take a look at.

Also, the blue mobile suite that the Zeon guys used looked familiar and apparently it was called a "Kampfer". There was the "Kampfer Amazing" Gunpla that the Meijin uses in GBF, so that then was based off of the Kampfer unit here in War in the Pocket?

See that you love it and guess it might be mine quick review about it on Christmas time when another topic was post about the show. Still, happy you like the show.

I don't want to repeat myself but I have to say that it might be one of the better Gundam show from the franchise mostly because you it doesn't really follow other Gundam show format. Basically, a show that put you on the small main character point of view and how he think War is a fun and game like most young boy were when they're young lad. This change when he start to see the real size of War when his new best friend got literally kill in the fight and founding out the two people he adored as good friend are actually fighting on the opposite side and realize he knew all of this from the fight.

The ending is the real killer as all of his best friend in school still act the same way as young lad were and thinking of war is fun and game except the main character saw the real tragic from the war. Kinda a sad end but it's something well done when you start to analyze it a bit more.

ibyea

Banned
Pfft you should see the manga thread

Well, I did visit the Bleach manga thread, and it seems the only reason people are sticking around is to see how much more Kubo can mess things up and out asspull himself despite many complaining how sick of it they are, and because they have stuck with it for so long that sunk cost fallacy kicked in.

A Certain Scientific Railgun - 19

Yeesh, Misaka, the dude just asked you if you saw somebody he was looking for. You didn't need to flip out on him like that! This is why people dislike Tsunderes!

Other than that, another slow episode. Wasn't bad, but I'm sure the action should at least start to pick up again in the next episode, given that I'm in the home stretch for this season.

Narag

Gundam Build Fighters TRY 15

3QurIqAl.png

Never forgot those brave men and women who gave their lives in the service of our country so you can play Gunpla today.

Teamwork? Yuuma was useful?? Things are looking up, ~chu

Jarmel

Banned
Power Plant 33-
So I guess this whole work is one big tribute to the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and the resulting fallout due to the Fukushima plant. I'm not sure if the name itself is a reference to the number of major accidents happening at nuclear power plants or a reference to the number of countries that have used nuclear energy. I'm leaning towards the later due to the number 33 being on the side of the character's suits, which would imply Japan as #33. Either way, the short is a stylized retelling of the earthquake, which of course means a big robot and kaiju fighting it out. Yuji Kaneko has seemingly been a fan of kaiju for awhile going by his drawing when the recent Godzilla film came out last year:
tumblr_n5vwepA6lY1r7c87xo1_500.jpg

Of course there is the Godzilla, really kaiju as a whole, and nuclear energy connection as well.
I guess the robot is supposed to be symbolic of the earthquake mainly due to the way the short highlights the weight of the robot through the dust and visual shaking of the ground. I feel it does a good job directorially at getting across the speed that these types of events can occur; this was done for example by having the dust come at the camera at a high speed from a distance away (mixed in the dust is also blood). I don't like the actual design of the robot though. It just feels like a hodgepodge of different design aspects. The kaiju on the other hand is fairly cool, especially with the lightning powers.
I feel like the short did a good job of establishing the town as a location through the variety of shot locations such as the pipes, live wires, streets, aqueducts, and the actions of the people. There was a lot of attention paid to the backgrounds, which really helps make the location feel like an actual place. I'm not surprised considering how strong of an art director and background artist, Yuji Kaneko is.
So I was wondering why everybody was wearing these bulky suits around but I think it's supposed to be an allegory to radiation jumpsuits(despite them not looking that similar). The character designs themselves are fairly good although nothing particularly special.
ibgYsvWsKCVOgx.jpg

Who is supposed to represent the incompetent Japanese government in this short?
I find it fascinating on a personal level to watch works like these that reflect on the Tohoku earthquake, mainly because I was in Japan when it happened. I remember the worry all over the place and it's just sort of weird to look back all these years later. There really is a cultural distinction, I don't want to say gap, when tragedies like these occur. Mainly how it was us Westerners that were freaking out more than the actual Japanese citizens at the time. It's sort of been forgotten in the West but the aftermath is still occurring.

Oh and someone was asking earlier why the girl strips at the end. That bit is saying how we don't need to depend on something as dangerous as nuclear energy. It was literally stifling the town. It's a sort of eco plea, which is somewhat misguided as nuclear energy is better than many of the alternatives but I understand why a Japanese native would have those feelings.

Angel Beats! 3

Right in the gut. I'm only 3 episodes in and the feels are real.

10 more episodes left, and I feel like it will only get more heartbreaking...

Man am I really curious on whether Tokyo Ghoul:Re manga the sequel to Tokyo Ghoul will get an anime adaption.

Fuck if it does I hope it's by a different studio, don't want this solid series get tainted by a bad adaption.

Maybe one day it will get a reboot in a few years. What am I kidding it'll be a rare chance for that to happen. 😌

Moaradin

Sorry Woof but sub is always better.

Sugita is what makes Gintoki so awesome, it wouldn't be the same in dub.

I don't see any Gintoki dub being as good as him but there are plenty of characters in that game I'd much rather have dubbed. Yusuke and Goku for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom