• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Death Parade 4

This show keeps being good.
I don't think I completely agree with the final decision on where to send the woman despite what she did during the game being despicable, mostly because I agree with what the girl said about them basically forcing those negative emotions on these souls. I also agree with what the woman said at the end.
There is only a partial picture, both for the us as well as the judge in the story, but based on that partial picture I couldn't help but feel sorry for her.

sonicmj1

Yuri Kuma-5

Yea that's a cheap plot trick.
So the show only displayed part of the picture and in the bottom she's holding Ginko? Are you fucking serious?
That's such a cheap narrative trick that I was shaking my head all through the OP.

You have seen Ikuhara shows before, right? Things like that happen all the time.

I guess that doesn't necessarily make it right, but it is what it is.

raven777

B87JHywCYAAECQU.jpg:large

new Aria anime!!!

Junichi Sato is making it of course.

cajunator

Banned
In other news I don't think this was posted, Ushio and Tora is getting an anime.

What's with the trend of old manga like Parasyte and JoJo getting adaptations out of nowhere?

I like it, full Berserk TV next plz

Ushio and Tora is AWESOME. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to get animeGaf interested in it but it ever really gained attention. But maybe now it can! I have watched the OVAs countless times. Its great comedy and action.

Holy shit, those last 20 minutes of Madoka Rebellion.

I finally understand,

Homura did nothing wrong.

Homura is human and her actions were completely understandable given how she was emotionally.

Jarmel

Banned
You have seen Ikuhara shows before, right? Things like that happen all the time.

I guess that doesn't necessarily make it right, but it is what it is.

Honestly I don't remember anything as blatantly obvious as that. There might be something like the incomplete memories such as in Utena but here it feels somewhat worse, mainly because memories can be fickle compared to a solid object.

Tuck

The day Log Horizon becomes some fast paced, action heavy, edgy, grimdark series is the day I quit anime.
Eh, Log horizon is good in spite of the slow pacing, not necessarily because of it.

I'd definitely like more action in it, but that'd need a bigger budget.

Hunter x Hunter 1999 - 01

Spoiler warning for both, the 1999 and 2011 version!

Ah, so I've heard about Kite's appearance in the first episode of HxH 1999 and man does help explainomg Gon's extreme depression and anger over the demise of Kite during the Chimera Arc in HxH 2011. In general this episode felt like a much better introduction to the series than what I recall of the one from 2011, as it provides much better background info and motivations for the characters. Now I'm also not sure what's faithful to the manga and what's added by the studio for the 1999 version, but as that really doesn't matter, I'm happy with this. For example the idea that Mito took away Gin's custody of Gon helps in establishing her own characterization but also gives us more of an idea about Gin's character...and explains why the hack he isn't showing up in the first place. Or when Gon mentions that he was aware of Mito's lying it goes to show some of his traits, while seeing that he doesn't get angry about that, as he understands just how much Mito has done for him, adds to his character and makes it easier to empathize.

OST was quite good in this episode, doing a lot for the atmosphere. The visuals, why not as high fidelity and with more washed out colors (well 1999!), were rather good actually. Lighting and shading were immediately apparent to me and, when the characters were in profile, there was no Cheeky Mouths, instead they animated chin movement, which is always nice. May seem minor but holy fuck was it annoying in F/N UBW, the supposedly "unlimted budget work." (Also can't help but notice this now after reading about it.)

So yeah, that was a really good first episode and I'm surprised at just how many changes there are from 2011's introduction. As recommended to me, I'll probably skim through the majority and take a closer look at key episodes.

duckroll

So apparently Mitsuo Iso has reappeared, doing animation for the film The Case of Hana and Alice. Weird.

That's a really weird film. It's the first feature animation directed by Shunji Iwai, who is a live action director. The movie itself is a prequel to a live action film and short film series he created. For some reason, he decided to make this an animated film instead. The film also applies a variety of animation techniques - there's traditional animation, but it also looks to employ a significant amount of rotoscoping and CG animation.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Speaking of ARIA, is there any news on that whole poster thing firehawk?
Soon, I think. Jasmine is going to put some finishing touches on it and it should be ready.

I've probably been freaking out about it more than anyone else, so I hope most people are happy with it when the final product is ready.

I guess speaking of, I'd like this poster thing to continue with someone picking up the reigns to commission a piece from their favorite anime (since we can't get a dumb podcast going). But maybe we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves. lol

duckroll

Death Parade - Episode 1-4

Oh man, I'm sooooo glad this actually got made. After Death Billiards, I was sure that the concept could carry an episodic series with different stories and dynamics for each "game" session. This is pretty much exactly what I envisioned. In the first four episodes, Tachikawa has already shown that he can come up with different stories about the human condition and how people react to uncomfortable truths and reflection on their own faults. Different relationships and pairings, different outcomes, all the while reminding us how life can end at any time by any means.

The one thing I kinda dislike so far was how they spent the entire second episode as a sort of intermission to "explain" stuff while introducing the assistant. It felt like it dragged on, and while it did bring new context to the underlying setting, I think it could have been executed just as well if she was introduced into a new "game" instead. I kinda feel like they robbed us of an extra story just to dumb things down a bit. But it looks like that was a one off for now, and they're going to keep it rolling without over-explaining each outcome. I like it being more open ended where the viewer can consider the evidence and interpret/discuss the judgement on our own.

Branduil

That's a really weird film. It's the first feature animation directed by Shunji Iwai, who is a live action director. The movie itself is a prequel to a live action film and short film series he created. For some reason, he decided to make this an animated film instead. The film also applies a variety of animation techniques - there's traditional animation, but it also looks to employ a significant amount of rotoscoping and CG animation.

Yeah, I was going to say, almost all of those shots look like either CGI or rotoscoping to me.

phaze

Hah yeah I really enjoyed the show a lot. It’s one of those shows that rewards people who pay attention and makes for an engrossing experience. I'd say is very similar to Lain, apart from the fact that there's a LOT less dialogue and this tends to rely on the imagery and audio a lot more than Lain which can be a lot wordier towards the end.

It does have similarities to Texhnolyze in the sense that it too relies on the audio a whole lot and the show tends to use color in order to make its point. Both shows are 'show don't tell' in the way that they present their story, but for some odd reason for all the similarities on paper, I felt that the shows in practice present different propositions.

I will say that if you enjoyed both Lain and Texhnolyze, you'll be right at home with this. It's hard to pick one over the other, but I think we're in a fortunate position where we don't have to do such and can enjoy both and relish in their method of madness. You don't get shows like that these days (Aku no Hana was close in how it presents its story I feel, or at least as close as we'll get for the foreseeable future unless anyone else here has some good recommendations. I don't keep up to date with the new stuff).

I don't believe in top 5's as I find it hard to justify one show over another when I have a load of 10/10 shows, but for now I guess this is what you see on my profile:

Hope I helped, and I hope you enjoy the show when you check it out :) As a side note, I hear a few people compare Boogiepop to Paranoia Agent, but I haven't seen it yet myself *hangs head in shame* Also I forgot to mention in my review, I watched the show subbed in case anyone is wondering :p

I'm actually in the middle of Aku no Hana. lol Will probably need to watch something lighter in between the two.

Yuri Kuma Arashi 05

"... of the fact that you're a bear Kureha."

Some new interesting developments but I can't say it grabbed much. Severe lack of Life Sexy's narration and shabadadus.

Jex

Hunter x Hunter 1999 - 01

Spoiler warning for both, the 1999 and 2011 version!

So yeah, that was a really good first episode and I'm surprised at just how many changes there are from 2011's introduction. As recommended to me, I'll probably skim through the majority and take a closer look at key episodes.

I really wouldn't recommend skipping through the series as I feel it's basically better than the 2011 version of the same material. However, I can't in good conscience recommend that people watch the same story twice.

Jex

It also employs a significant amount of ugly. What a visual disaster.

Nafe

See that you love it and guess it might be mine quick review about it on Christmas time when another topic was post about the show. Still, happy you like the show.

I don't want to repeat myself but I have to say that it might be one of the better Gundam show from the franchise mostly because you it doesn't really follow other Gundam show format. Basically, a show that put you on the small main character point of view and how he think War is a fun and game like most young boy were when they're young lad. This change when he start to see the real size of War when his new best friend got literally kill in the fight and founding out the two people he adored as good friend are actually fighting on the opposite side and realize he knew all of this from the fight.

The ending is the real killer as all of his best friend in school still act the same way as young lad were and thinking of war is fun and game except the main character saw the real tragic from the war. Kinda a sad end but it's something well done when you start to analyze it a bit more.

Ah, sorry that I initially missed that. I went back and saw the comments as well as SliceSabre's comments on the show. I've been a lot more hit and miss with regards to reading the thread for the past while.

Nice avatar of Alpha though. It's good to see more fans of Yokohama Shopping Trip.

Gundam Build Fighters TRY 16
http://i.imgur.com/docKwnO.gif
~chu

Is that done by Obari? I usually think of him when seeing drawings like that but GBF has a lot of well done drawings though that it seems like it easily could have been someone else as well.

Unfortunately I don't have it right now but that reminds me of when I went back to look at an earlier thread and there was a post by Hitokage something like "The west has yet to receive a release of Sailor Moon that hasn't been botched".

Seeing all these apparent issues and complaints regarding Viz's release and it just kind of gave me a bit of a chuckle. He'd probably respond something like "Disappointing but not surprising".

NEW ARIA SPECIAL COMING FOR 10TH ANNIVERSARY
https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/562612759108788224/photo/1
http://i.imgur.com/VCuuRtb.jpg

GET HYPE!!!!

This has got to be why the BD set has been so slow... they really are waiting for a big date and throwing in a new special!

Year of firehawk indeed,haha.

I really wouldn't recommend skipping through the series as I feel it's basically better than the 2011 version of the same material. However, I can't in good conscience recommend that people watch the same story twice.

Yeh for what it's worth, I've watched the first 3 episodes in full without wanting to skip anything. Looks like I won't do that until I actually feel the need for it. Maybe I'll just watch it slowly over the weeks.

Jex

Yeh for what it's worth, I've watched the first 3 episodes in full without wanting to skip anything. Looks like I won't do that until I actually feel the need for it. Maybe I'll just watch it slowly over the weeks.

Essentially, the 1999 version expands upon the manga slightly, while the 2011 version drastically compresses some elements the manga at the start. I'd say that while the 2011 version has some great looking sequences, the direction and designs are better in the 1999 version.

Plus, you know, it has more than one OP:

http://vimeo.com/74587968

Of course, at the Manga's current pace there will probably be a 3rd reboot in the future...

Clov

So apparently Mitsuo Iso has reappeared, doing animation for the film The Case of Hana and Alice. Weird.

A lot of very different looking styles in there, but I'm interested in giving it a watch.

NEW ARIA SPECIAL COMING FOR 10TH ANNIVERSARY
https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/562612759108788224/photo/1
VCuuRtb.jpg

GET HYPE!!!!

This has got to be why the BD set has been so slow... they really are waiting for a big date and throwing in a new special!

Speak of the devil! I never would have expected another Aria special to release. Can't wait to watch it; I've been missing the world of Aria, though surely not as much as you have. :p

Like you said, this is probably why the BDs have taken so long to come out. I'm certain we'll hear more about them soon!

Is that done by Obari? I usually think of him when seeing drawings like that but GBF has a lot of well done drawings though that it seems like it easily could have been someone else as well.

Obari did do work on GBF TRY Episode 16, he was posting a lot on the Gundam Tryon 3 on Twitter lately.

Jex

It looks better animation-wise than Flowers of Evil.

Yes, I'd totally agree with you there but stylistically it looks worse due to the obvious mixing of animation styles and that rather clashing background style.

Well, what I mean to say is like the individual art styles but I don't dig the combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom