• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Gintama is the series that truly broke me in terms of writing episode by episode impressions of a series. I found it just about impossible to have anything to say about the show, except when talking about whole arcs.

I suppose the same is truly with many comedies that I've watched.

dan2026

Gintama is the series that truly broke me in terms of writing episode by episode impressions of a series. I found it just about impossible to have anything to say about the show, except when talking about whole arcs.

I suppose the same is truly with many comedies that I've watched.

Do you have any comedy recommendations at all?
The best I've probably seen are Cromartie and of course Gintama.

In fact does anyone have any comedy anime suggestions?

So I just discovered Platinum Disco on youtube, and I might have asked this before (and forgot) but how would one get into the Monotagari series?

I recall, watching Monotagari (the first season) but quit in the middle of it due to by interest going elsewhere.

Yes, I'd totally agree with you there but stylistically it looks worse due to the obvious mixing of animation styles and that rather clashing background style.

Well, what I mean to say is like the individual art styles but I don't dig the combination.

Flowers of Evil has a more finely realized aesthetic of dilapidated ugliness thanks to Studio Pablo's exceptional backgrounds, this is true. But I don't find the way the characters look or their appropriateness to the backgrounds to be particularly different in quality between the two productions. Despite the unconventional animation techniques, The Case of Hana and Alice has a fairly consistent look throughout what's shown in the trailer. And I do appreciate it when animated productions every now and then have characters that look like real people.

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru (And Yet the Town Moves) is the best comedy I've seen outside Gintama. It's got a great cast of colorful characters bound together by the useful setting of a shopping arcade, and it doesn't fall into the trap of becoming stale by only having a small repertoire of jokes that comedies so easily fall into, instead continually keeping the stories inventive and fresh. I highly recommend it.

Jex

To be honest, I don't enjoy many anime comedies. My favourites are probably Gintama, Excel Saga and more recently Milky Holmes.

Edit: hosanna is spot on with regards to Soredemo. A great series in many respects.

Of course not lol.

It would be a blaspehmy if this shit gets announced and not Accel World S2.

Sunrise Studio 8 is sitting on a lot of series that I want more of, though I would rather have Horizon S3. Maybe after they stop making money from Love Live.
Hah.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A few from the last few years:

Ben-to
Hataraku Maou-sama
Uchouten Kazoku (more dramedy than comedy)
Humanity Has Declined (dark humor)
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt (toilet humor)
Arakawa Under the Bridge (surrealist humor)

2014 Fall Preliminary First Volume Sales

11,899 *2 Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road [BD+DVD]
11,229 *6 Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru [BD+DVD] 
10,489 *5 Gundam G no Reconguista [BD+DVD] 
---------- 10k Line ----------
*9,122 *6 Psycho-Pass S2 [BD+DVD] 
*9,021 *5 Crossange Tenshi to Ryuu no Rinbu [BD+DVD] 
*8,509 *5 Shirobako [BD]
*8,272 *5 Amagi Brilliant Park [BD+DVD]
*6,621 *1 Nanatsu no Taizai [BD+DVD] 
*5,360 *4 Gugure! Kokkuri-san [BD+DVD] 
*4,648 *5 Grisaia no Kajitsu [BD+DVD] 
*4,165 *4 Trinity Seven [BD+DVD] 
*3,718 *4 Madan no Ou to Vanadis [BD+DVD] 
*3,315 *1 Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis [BD]
*3,287 *1 Mushishi Zokushou S2 [BD]
*3,184 *4 Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu. [BD+DVD] 
---------- Manabi Line (2,899) ----------
*2,829 *1 Donten ni Warau [BD-Box/DVD-Box]
*2,609 *1 Girlfriend (kari) [BD+DVD]
*2,515 *1 Log Horizon S2 [BD+DVD]
*1,919 *3 Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de [BD] 
*1,882 *2 Terraformars [BD+DVD]
*1,738 *1 Sora no Method [BD]
*1,337 *1 Ai Tenchi Muyo! [BD+DVD]
*1,188 *2 Hi☆sCoool! Seha Girls [BD] 
*1,151 *1 Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken [BD+DVD] 
*1,114 *2 Hitsugi no Chaika Avenging Battle [BD]
**,956 *2 Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai [BD]  
**,746 *1 Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji [BD+DVD] 
**,622 *1 Denkigai no Honya-san [BD]  
**,464 *1 Gundam Build Fighters Try [BD-BOX+DVD] 
**,419 *1 Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete [BD]

Nanatsu no Taizai, Bahamut, Mushishi S2, Log Horizon S2, and Sora no Method, are this weeks newest entries.

Everything else bolded are updated numbers.

someanithing said:
Nanatai v1 sells 3047/3574, total 6,621. Event ticket accounts for most of that, so it ought to see a steep drop over the next few volumes. It’s done its work on the manga side already, though, to put it mildly.

Bahamut v1 sells 3,315 as a BD-only release. 53.7% overestimated, massive as expected!

V2 sales including why Gundam is now over the 10K line

someanithing said:
G Reco v2 sells 7322/812, total 8,134.

That definitely proves the v1 screw-up. Whether it was Amazon or Oricon, someone didn’t report/count the Amazon edition of v1 to Oricon. Soundscan *did* count it, and so the Oricon 3,884 v1wk1 BDs have been replaced with the Soundscan 8,565 v1wk1 BDs. Soundscan is usually higher than Oricon by about 10%, but I figure that’s offset by using the lower Oricon number or wk2+. Should all even out more or less. v1 total is now 10,489. Still waaaaaaaay overestimated but only “waaaaaaaay” instead of “HOLYSHITWHAT”.

No other new entries for Fall until a little over mid February.

Fafner will be the first Winter release numbers beginning next week. Along with sales for Tsukimonogatari.

Source

Gintama 056

r2nZChZ.jpg

Uh-huh.

Everybody's favorite idol Otsu gets to be police chief for a day. What could possibly go wrong? Well... A lot.

cajunator

Banned
Homura DA GAWDESS

There is already a Goddess! Maybe you meant the opposite? :)
yeah youre right she is!

Kill la Kill is magical girl? I guess kind of, but you really need to stretch your definition of a MG show to make it fit. Robot Girls Z maybe, but I only watched a bit of that. Maybe I should finish it.

Ooh, someone just watched Madoka Rebellion. Those reactions are always my favorite.

Nah KLK isnt magical girl its more supernatural in scope. Maybe a hybrid at best.

She had a whole 3 scenes with her speaking so far.

Definitely a contender for best anime of the season.

It's one of the few things in my life that can bring me great joy.

Well I guess I need to watch World Break sometime. I dont even know what its about, but I will follow Chiaki!

Why are you including Sawashiro? She's still getting roles.

Exactly. And she should be getting roles for a long time to come.

Jex

So I just discovered Platinum Disco on youtube, and I might have asked this before (and forgot) but how would one get into the Monotagari series?

I recall, watching Monotagari (the first season) but quit in the middle of it due to by interest going elsewhere.

You just watch it by the release order of the anime. Bake - Nise - Neko - Mono S2 - Hana - Tsuki - Kizu.

That's a lot of gatari for ya. Do not exceed your daily allowance.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
-monogatari may cause vomiting, nausea, or drowsiness. Pregnant women should not watch -monogatari. Ask your anime club if -monogatari is right for you.

Essentially, the 1999 version expands upon the manga slightly, while the 2011 version drastically compresses some elements the manga at the start. I'd say that while the 2011 version has some great looking sequences, the direction and designs are better in the 1999 version.

Aye. And yeh, just within these 3 first episodes already the direction and design stand out favorably. Concerning the latter: if we take a look at the different designs of Illumi from this comparison article I already linked in the AOTY thread, I simply have to say that the exaggerated most characters features way too much.

toSar0B.jpg

An5BAFj.jpg

Admittedly this is one of the more dramatic design differences.

There's a difference between having characters stand out thanks to unique design and this...where a lot of the characters end up looking silly to the point where it becomes an actual detriment. On top of looking ridiculous on their own, that kind of design just didn't fit the often rather serious and dark atmosphere of the show.

But oh well, only 3 episodes into 1999. Am probably gonna prefer s.th. from 2011 eventually. I think I've heard people not liking Hisoka as much there and he's my favorite character in 2011. Also the Yorknew City arc was a blast, so I'm curious how the 1999 one holds up, especially since it'll be lacking the amazing ED and the transition to it.

Clov

Aye. And yeh, just within these 3 first episodes already the direction and design stand out favorably. Concerning the latter: if we take a look at the different designs of Illumi from this comparison article I already linked in the AOTY thread, I simply have to say that the exaggerated most characters features way too much.

There's a difference between having characters stand out thanks to unique design and this...where a lot of the characters end up looking silly to the point where it becomes an actual detriment. On top of looking ridiculous on their own, that kind of design just didn't fit the often rather serious and dark atmosphere of the show.

But oh well, only 3 episodes into 1999. Am probably gonna prefer s.th. from 2011 eventually. I think I've heard people not liking Hisoka as much there and he's my favorite character in 2011. Also the Yorknew City arc was a blast, so I'm curious how the 1999 one holds up, especially since it'll be lacking the amazing ED and the transition to it.

This is making me want to want the original anime now. Might be something nice to do in the Summer.

cajunator

Banned
welp I'm not even sure I want to see them now

Theyre worth seeing. EoE especially. REbuild is hit or miss. Episode 3 was the weakest. Episode 4 should come out around 2020.

Is it possible to NTR an idol from her fans? Does that happen every time the idol starts like dating or doing non innocent shit? Lol

Isnt that a thing where an idol or seiyuu gets married all the fans burn their stuff and other crazy shit? Maybe thats not the same.

Once again I'm back to say guys, guys, watch Koufuku Graffiti if you aren't already.

Every sunday morning it heals me of all the stress that piled up during the week. It's so beautiful TT_TT

Whens Non Non Biyori Repeat?

Koufuku is healing proof that anime really does love us and wants us to be happy.

Ikuhara Lesbian Bears, Chiaki Omigawa in a new role, a third season of Dog Days, glorious Dio-sama, SHAFT making a comfy show about cute girls eating food, a good second-half of Shirobako, #slainedidnothingwrong, Umetsu OP with a Maaya Sakamoto x Rasmus Faber OP song, and at least 5 battle-harems?

Yeah, it's a great season for me. Easily the best in a long time.

Yeah its a pretty great season. I dunno what people want anymore really.

Beefeater

Banned

Watch Bake, then take an extended break before watching Nise. You don't want to associate them too much.

To be honest, I don't enjoy many anime comedies. My favourites are probably Gintama, Excel Saga and more recently Milky Holmes.

Since you've brought up Milky Holmes, I am obligated to bring up Jewelpet Kira Deco, a show from the same director/writer team and one which realizes the same sort of anarchic comedic mindset in a better way than Milky Holmes. It lacks the visual polish of Milky Holmes (though it is not without visual interest of its own, mainly in the multitude of amazing faces), but I feel the ratio of funny bits to dull bits is better and the comedy even more varied and outrageous (admittedly this is helped by being 52 episodes vs 12 episodes). Most noteworthy is how it manages to create effective characterization alongside the crazy comedy scenarios, and thus actually brings me to care about the characters and their fate in a way that Milky Holmes, with its exaggerated ineptitude, never attempted. It's definitely worth seeking out!

Mature

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru (And Yet the Town Moves) is the best comedy I've seen outside Gintama. It's got a great cast of colorful characters bound together by the useful setting of a shopping arcade, and it doesn't fall into the trap of becoming stale by only having a small repertoire of jokes that comedies so easily fall into, instead continually keeping the stories inventive and fresh. I highly recommend it.
Definitely, as hosanna eloquently said, Soredemo is worth anyone's attention. I'd also credit the strength of the source material. The manga goes far beyond the 1-cour TV series and maintains the great humor seen there. I'd love to see Shaft adapt more of it but since it was great I'm sure it didn't sell well.

Are they still making more Aria? Ugh. I thought that series was over and done with.
If you hate the state of anime today, this is why.
How did you become such a sour puss overnight? Is this another failed bet? Is Narag bullying this out of you?

e_i

Resbian bear storm episode 5

I think that Kureha
is the last human on Earth. Why is she treated in extreme ways? Some want to bang her, some want to hurt her.

Jex

Since you've brought up Milky Holmes, I am obligated to bring up Jewelpet Kira Deco, a show from the same director/writer team and one which realizes the same sort of anarchic comedic mindset in a better way than Milky Holmes. It lacks the visual polish of Milky Holmes (though it is not without visual interest of its own, mainly in the multitude of amazing faces), but I feel the ratio of funny bits to dull bits is better and the comedy even more varied and outrageous (admittedly this is helped by being 52 episodes vs 12 episodes). Most noteworthy is how it manages to create effective characterization alongside the crazy comedy scenarios, and thus actually brings me to care about the characters and their fate in a way that Milky Holmes, with its exaggerated ineptitude, never attempted. It's definitely worth seeking out!

One day I'll get onto episode 2. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow, but someday!

I'll have to disagree with you slightly with regards to Milky Holmes. While the general uselessness of the girls is apparent I still found myself emotionally invested in the final arc of season 1, much like I found myself emotionally invested in the incredibly serious Excel Saga finale. It just worked for me on some level.

Sölf

Noucome was awesome, even though it started out rather slow in the first ~2-3 episodes. But afterwards, it became crazy pretty fast. Robot Girls Z is also funny and madness beyond anything. I haven't watched any of the mecha shows that are referenced, but I still found it funny as hell.

Older things, Detroit Metal City is pretty unique. If you are not turned off by its sheer offensive, it's one of the most hilarious shows in recent years. I would also add School Rumble, which is one of my favorite shows ever. I still hate it, that instead of a whole 3rd season they only animated the last 2 episodes. >_>

Jex

That's a pretty hand article that certainly saves me the trouble of actually having to do any work myself. As it demonstrated, the difference between adaptations is sometimes literally the difference between night and day.

phaze

Soredemo already recommended so:

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (gets repetitive after a while)
Love Lab
D-Frag (I imagine not for everyone)

javac

Furiko, an anime short (known as Pendulum in English, also later adapted into the official music video for "Exogenesis Part 3 (Redemption)" by Muse) is presented in a simple flip-book manner and was created by a guy who goes by the name Tekken. You've probably heard of him, and if so that's great! If not, I urge you to check out his work. Everything he does is short, but very powerful and I assure you there's something that will resonate with you in his short but diverse portfolio.

This short in particular is only 4 minutes in length, but in this short period of time I was reduced to tears. Tekken has a reputation of sorts for doing such, making people cry that is, and I'm glad that I discovered this amazing piece and this amazing director. Furiko depicts the life of a couple through a swinging pendulum and is executed in a fashion that is simply breath-taking and touching. If you watch this, make sure you have tissues ready.

Baymax, another short created by Tekken is based off of the Big Hero 6 series and deals with a 14 year old boy who is trying to cope with loss. Again, as with all of Tekken's work it is told through the flip-book style and is backed by a beautiful song ("Story" by AI) that works together to create this story that touches you in ways in which you didn't expect for something that is told within 3 and a half minutes. Beautiful animation and a beautiful song collide in order to tell a story that will leave you teary eyed.

Follow Me is another 4 minute short by director Tekken and depicts a story about two unfortunate people, with sad upbringings being brought together in order to become whole again. The art is used to great effect in order to depict the emotions flowing through the characters and is again like the first short we discussed backed by music by Muse. For such a short video, a lot of emotions are felt thorough its run-time. Beautiful imagery is used in order to visually depict the feelings of the characters and this coupled with the powerful music leaves a massive impression on you.

I recommended all three of these short animations. Each one follows the same flip-book style but still manages to not only look unique, but to sound unique too. Each story is heartfelt and powerful and allows you to feel a vast array of emotions in such a short period of time. Give them a serious go.

Says the guy who refuses to watch Ping Pong and is proud of it
Eh I've yet to watch a sports anime that I've found entertaining. I've given them enough chances and been disappointed each time that I'm simply done with that genre of anime as a whole.

You're really bad at this and you should stop.
There needs to be more Aria for what reason? And don't be under the impression I dislike Aria because I don't, I like the series but I think its run its course. Don't act passive aggressively hostile because someone said something that might be perceived as negative towards an anime you like.

Its like how as much as I adore Hidamari Sketch I wouldn't be down for another season of it.

Eh I've yet to watch a sports anime that I've found entertaining. I've given them enough chances and been disappointed each time that I'm simply done with that genre of anime as a whole.

Ping Pong isn't a sports anime it's a character study using Ping Pong as a proxy

It's not like Shonen sports series. I'd say Ping Pong isn't even the real focus of the show.

Jex

[Cute High Earth Defense Club Love!]: 1 - 5

CutieHighEarthDefenseClubLove.jpg

So what is Cute High Earth Defese Club Love!? First and foremost, it's an excellent comedy but more specifically it's: a magical girl show, a magical girl parody, a sentai parody show parody all wrapped into one.

Now, I know what you're thinking based off the title, they key art and any exposure to the marketing: this looks like trash. The premise sounds, frankly, terrible and the apparent DTL overtones aren't particularly appealing to me either. That's why I was stupid enough to completely sleep on this series until I'd heard enough people heap enough praise on the series that I had to check it out.

I didn't really think that, of all the shows airing this season, I'd end up trying to sell people on this one but really, I should have at least given the first episode a shot. A look at the key people behind this show should be enough to make you at least give it a change - the director is Shinji Takamatsu who has worked on a number of comedies including School Rumble, Gintama and The Daily Lives of High School Boys and the writer is of similar pedigree.

So, what's the series actually like? Probably the most surprising thing about the endeavour, apart from the really sharp writing, is how faithfully it replicated the tenants of a legitimate magical girl series. All the elements you've come to expect are faithfully recreated albeit with a male spin on them leading to obviously humorous results. While it seems like the 'joke' would wear rather thin after a few minutes the series manages to be extremely watchable because of how wholeheartedly the series embraces it's Magical Girl roots. In that regard it manages to be a legitimate magical girl show and a legitimate parody at the same time - an impressive feat all things considered.

Thankfully, the jokes aren't just centred around obvious low hanging fruit. I'll have to spoil one really great gag just to give you an impression of how the show handles it's humour. As with all these Magical Girl shows, the heroes learn of their powers via a cute talking animal. In this case, said animal is a Pink Wombat. When Mr. Wombat arrived on Earth he accidentally killed the boys teacher and now he has to re-animate the Teachers corpse to create the impression that he wasn't brutally killed. This leads to some Weekend at Burnie's shenanigans involving the teacher's corpse:

To top it all of, the show looks great. The character designs, especially for the monsters are pretty fun. The colours look great and the animation for the action scenes is surprisingly good. It's a really pleasant show to look at.

I can't guarantee that this is a show for everyone, as comedy is always hugely subjective, but I feel that if you didn't pay any attention to this title because of it's premise or art you should really but aside your preconceptions and give the first episode a shot. It's probably my favourite show airing this season.

Quasar

A few from the last few years:

Ben-to
Hataraku Maou-sama
Uchouten Kazoku (more dramedy than comedy)
Humanity Has Declined (dark humor)
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt (toilet humor)
Arakawa Under the Bridge (surrealist humor)

I liked Minami-ke. Though some seasons are better than others.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
[Cute High Earth Defense Club Love!]: 1 - 5

CutieHighEarthDefenseClubLove.jpg

So what is Cute High Earth Defese Club Love!? First and foremost, it's an excellent comedy but more specifically it's: a magical girl show, a magical girl parody, a sentai parody show parody all wrapped into one.

Now, I know what you're thinking based off the title, they key art and any exposure to the marketing: this looks like trash. The premise sounds, frankly, terrible and the apparent DTL overtones aren't particularly appealing to me either. That's why I was stupid enough to completely sleep on this series until I'd heard enough people heap enough praise on the series that I had to check it out.

I didn't really think that, of all the shows airing this season, I'd end up trying to sell people on this one but really, I should have at least given the first episode a shot. A look at the key people behind this show should be enough to make you at least give it a change - the director is Shinji Takamatsu who has worked on a number of comedies including School Rumble, Gintama and The Daily Lives of High School Boys and the writer is of similar pedigree.

So, what's the series actually like? Probably the most surprising thing about the endeavour, apart from the really sharp writing, is how faithfully it replicated the tenants of a legitimate magical girl series. All the elements you've come to expect are faithfully recreated albeit with a male spin on them leading to obviously humorous results. While it seems like the 'joke' would wear rather thin after a few minutes the series manages to be extremely watchable because of how wholeheartedly the series embraces it's Magical Girl roots. In that regard it manages to be a legitimate magical girl show and a legitimate parody at the same time - an impressive feat all things considered.

Thankfully, the jokes aren't just centred around obvious low hanging fruit. I'll have to spoil one really great gag just to give you an impression of how the show handles it's humour. As with all these Magical Girl shows, the heroes learn of their powers via a cute talking animal. In this case, said animal is a Pink Wombat. When Mr. Wombat arrived on Earth he accidentally killed the boys teacher and now he has to re-animate the Teachers corpse to create the impression that he wasn't brutally killed. This leads to some Weekend at Burnie's shenanigans involving the teacher's corpse:

To top it all of, the show looks great. The character designs, especially for the monsters are pretty fun. The colours look great and the animation for the action scenes is surprisingly good. It's a really pleasant show to look at.

I can't guarantee that this is a show for everyone, as comedy is always hugely subjective, but I feel that if you didn't pay any attention to this title because of it's premise or art you should really but aside your preconceptions and give the first episode a shot. It's probably my favourite show airing this season.

Really nice post.

Personally my favorite anime of the season. Its a shame more people aren't watching this because of certain preconceived notions (that aren't entirely unjust)

Jex

Ping Pong isn't a sports anime it's a character study using Ping Pong as a proxy

It's not like Shonen sports series. I'd say Ping Pong isn't even the real focus of the show.

After winning anime of the year, I feel like the defence for Ping Pong can rest easy!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

ping pong is a sports series, why do people feel the need to say OMG BUT THIS ISN'T A REAL SPORTS THING GUYS BECAUSE IT HAS MORE THAN LITERALLY SPORTS 100% OF THE TIME!!!!1!

2014 Fall Preliminary First Volume Sales

10,489 *5 Gundam G no Reconguista [BD+DVD] 

*8,509 *5 Shirobako [BD]

V2 sales including why Gundam is now over the 10K line

Glad to see G Reco and Shirobako continuing to increase, as the two best anime of the season. Tomino's saving of anime has been uncanceled.

In Tomino we trust

Indeed. G Reco just proves why Tomino is the master.

Him to ruin everything he touches now!

0/10, would encourage further bullying of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom