• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Eh I've yet to watch a sports anime that I've found entertaining. I've given them enough chances and been disappointed each time that I'm simply done with that genre of anime as a whole.

Honestly didn't enjoy what I watched of Ping Pong but there are lots of great sports anime out there. Seems silly to just write off an entire genre because of a few shows.

Touch and Cross Game would be my two personal favorites.

[Cute High Earth Defense Club Love!]: 1 - 5

CutieHighEarthDefenseClubLove.jpg

So what is Cute High Earth Defese Club Love!? First and foremost, it's an excellent comedy but more specifically it's: a magical girl show, a magical girl parody, a sentai parody show parody all wrapped into one.

Now, I know what you're thinking based off the title, they key art and any exposure to the marketing: this looks like trash. The premise sounds, frankly, terrible and the apparent DTL overtones aren't particularly appealing to me either. That's why I was stupid enough to completely sleep on this series until I'd heard enough people heap enough praise on the series that I had to check it out.

I didn't really think that, of all the shows airing this season, I'd end up trying to sell people on this one but really, I should have at least given the first episode a shot. A look at the key people behind this show should be enough to make you at least give it a change - the director is Shinji Takamatsu who has worked on a number of comedies including School Rumble, Gintama and The Daily Lives of High School Boys and the writer is of similar pedigree.

So, what's the series actually like? Probably the most surprising thing about the endeavour, apart from the really sharp writing, is how faithfully it replicated the tenants of a legitimate magical girl series. All the elements you've come to expect are faithfully recreated albeit with a male spin on them leading to obviously humorous results. While it seems like the 'joke' would wear rather thin after a few minutes the series manages to be extremely watchable because of how wholeheartedly the series embraces it's Magical Girl roots. In that regard it manages to be a legitimate magical girl show and a legitimate parody at the same time - an impressive feat all things considered.

Thankfully, the jokes aren't just centred around obvious low hanging fruit. I'll have to spoil one really great gag just to give you an impression of how the show handles it's humour. As with all these Magical Girl shows, the heroes learn of their powers via a cute talking animal. In this case, said animal is a Pink Wombat. When Mr. Wombat arrived on Earth he accidentally killed the boys teacher and now he has to re-animate the Teachers corpse to create the impression that he wasn't brutally killed. This leads to some Weekend at Burnie's shenanigans involving the teacher's corpse:

To top it all of, the show looks great. The character designs, especially for the monsters are pretty fun. The colours look great and the animation for the action scenes is surprisingly good. It's a really pleasant show to look at.

I can't guarantee that this is a show for everyone, as comedy is always hugely subjective, but I feel that if you didn't pay any attention to this title because of it's premise or art you should really but aside your preconceptions and give the first episode a shot. It's probably my favourite show airing this season.

Dropped it after 1 ep. Does it get better/funnier?

After winning anime of the year, I feel like the defence for Ping Pong can rest easy!

Yknow what? Fair enough.

ping pong is a sports series, why do people feel the need to say OMG BUT THIS ISN'T A REAL SPORTS THING GUYS BECAUSE IT HAS MORE THAN LITERALLY SPORTS 100% OF THE TIME!!!!1!

PIng Pong is centered around people performing in a sport therefore it is a Sports Anime, this is not hard people.

Yeah that's what I mean I was just in a rush.

Quasar

There needs to be more Aria for what reason? And don't be under the impression I dislike Aria because I don't, I like the series but I think its run its course.

Because the world needs more Iyashikei.

And looks like this/next year we get Tamayura and Aria. And I guess I'd include Gourmet Girl Graffitti too in that.

Iyashikei for everyone.

I heard SAO3 got announced. Am I being trolled?

I hope you're just being trolled. SAO S3 before Accel World S2 would be nuts.

Is the current arc in the SAO light novels even over yet?!? Like, last I heard the arc that takes place immediately after S2 of the anime was still going on.

Syrinx

Eh I've yet to watch a sports anime that I've found entertaining. I've given them enough chances and been disappointed each time that I'm simply done with that genre of anime as a whole.

There needs to be more Aria for what reason? And don't be under the impression I dislike Aria because I don't, I like the series but I think its run its course. Don't act passive aggressively hostile because someone said something that might be perceived as negative towards an anime you like.

Its like how as much as I adore Hidamari Sketch I wouldn't be down for another season of it.

If I had issues with people here not liking something I like I would have it in for everybody here.

As for why it exists, it's a special, not another season like your Hidamari example, at least according to firehawk. I'm confident it won't do anything to the ending since it looks like this takes place beforehand, with
Alicia wearing her undine uniform
making me think that.

[Cute High Earth Defense Club Love!]: 1 - 5

Now, I know what you're thinking based off the title, they key art and any exposure to the marketing: this looks like trash. The premise sounds, frankly, terrible and the apparent DTL overtones aren't particularly appealing to me either. That's why I was stupid enough to completely sleep on this series until I'd heard enough people heap enough praise on the series that I had to check it out.

I feel bad for anyone who thinks "magical boys" is a terrible premise.

cajunator

Banned
Been a great season for me as well. Lots of different shows that are keeping me well entertained.

Same. Dunno what people expect anymore really.

It sure is. I was expecting $600 (70k) or thereabouts, which is in line with the Lagann set which retailed for 64k. The Standard Japanese Bebop set is around 27k, while the Limited Edition Bebop Set is around 37k. The Japanese Baccano set retailed for around 27k too. Durarara Japanese Blu-ray set retailed for 37k. The Standard Giant Robo set is retailing for 23k while the Giant Robo set they originally released retailed for 40k, which is the same as the price for the Eva set. GITS:SAC 1st Gig also released at 43k. Lain released at 27k. It's pretty much in line with other releases, and considering it's Eva and comes with EoE, I'm happy enough with the price. Stockholm syndrome perhaps?

Sometimes I honestly wonder what kind of jobs otaku must have to afford all this.

Can't say I was impressed with F/S UWB's visuals either. The SFX during combat were quite good (though I wouldn't say the same for the actual choreography). Other than that, there were so many issues like terrible profile shots and cheeky mouths, lighting or just overall composition that, if anything, the visuals were hurting my immersion constantly.

cheeky mouths are a scourge

Shirobako 16

As a left-handed person Gothloli-sama is the best

left-handed people need more representation in media in general :((((

As another left handed person, I agree that we need more love!

My Kino's Journey Rightstuf order is still backordered. It's been over a month.

I guess I'm glad a lot of people bought the series but still, come on.

It warms my heart to see interest rekindled in one of my favorite series.
Yall get to buying Haibane Renmei and Hidamari Sketch!

Jex

I feel bad for anyone who thinks "magical boys" is a terrible premise.

I don't feel like anime has had a terribly good trackrecord when it comes to executing this premise previously. On the face of it, it would just seem far to 'on the nose' to be really successful.

Hmm I was mainly thinking of Kore wa Zonbi Desu ka?.

I'm not particularly familiar with that series. I do recall hearing the MC described as a "magical boy", though my impression of it hasn't been that it's as committed to the tropes/aesthetic of magical girl shows as Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! is.

Some hate them just because it's a filler, i think there's good and bad filler

Hatred for "filler" usually arises from people watching long-running battle shounen adaptations that are mediocre/bad to begin with.

Exalted

I just recently finished Legend of the galactic Heroes, and i really liked it.
So i'm wondering if there are any other similar space operas or serious scifi dramas, I'm familiar with most modern shows, so i'm mostly looking for stuff that is 10 or more years old. Is there anything comparable or is LOTGH as good as it gets.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I just recently finished Legend of the galactic Heroes, and i really liked it.
So i'm wondering if there are any other similar space operas or serious scifi dramas, I'm familiar with most modern shows, so i'm mostly looking for stuff that is 10 or more years old. Is there anything comparable or is LOTGH as good as it gets.

Nothing is comparable to LOGH, but you should check out the Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars series.

Jex

All this sports anime, and filler, discussion reminds me of a really fascinating section I was reading in Anime A History about arguably the very first sports series Star of the Giants (1968). The problem the creators of this series faced and they way that they 'solved it' was arguably one of the most important creative choices within the history of TV anime.

5f8bd2a58f0e270240514fb4027b0d751331832164_full.jpg

Now, Star of the Giants was facing a problem that would become all to familiar to anime directors today - they were adapting the manga so quickly that they were running out of material to adapt. I'll just quote from the source material here [the bolded is my emphasis]:
"Yamazaki's team is 'devouring the original work' - a common phenomenon today, that had seemingly not troubled anime productions before Star of the Giants, since they had all drawn on long-established manga titles, or open-ended franchises. Yamazaki was having problems of his own with his main writers, who were increasingly resistant to demands that they not only adapt a spread of pages from the manga each week, but also inject a three-act structure into whatever situation that was contained therein.

Yamazaki coyly identifies the offending writers by their initials...The producer took on another writer hungrier for the work, Yazaki Haruya, who would transform Star of the Giants by writing an infamous episode in which the passage of a single ball, from pitcher's hand, to batter, to outfield, to plate was somehow stretched into an entire episode.

Yamazaki Haruya's script builds the tension on the pitcher's mound, as the pitcher draws back his arm and throws the ball. Exploiting the potential of infinite camera positions available to animators, the script zooms in and out of multiple perspectives - the inner monologues of the pitcher himself and the calculating thoughts of the batter he faces; the commentary of the excitable journalists in the outside-broadcast booth; viewers at home yelling at the television; fans in the bleachers; team members on both sides; the pitcher's father and dewy-eyed love interest. Coupled with shots of the arena and sudden zooms, splitscreen effects, flashbacks and voiceovers, the sequence occupies the entire first half of the episode..."

Now, that really does sound remarkably modern, doesn't it? I imagine we've all experienced episodes of a series where time seems to slow to a crawl or where nothing of consequence happens over the course of minutes and minutes of time. Think of well, nearly any sports anime or more specifically the interminable pacing of Attack on Titan which was packed with incredibly vapid monologues and pointless flashbacks. I was certainly aware that these attempts at blatant padding followed a certain mould bit it's fascinating to see that they came from one particular source and one particular creator.

So, just in case you were looking for someone to blame for the state of modern shounen and sport manga adaptations remember to blame Yamazaki Haruya.

fertygo

Ping Pong isn't a sports anime it's a character study using Ping Pong as a proxy

It's not like Shonen sports series. I'd say Ping Pong isn't even the real focus of the show.

People keep saying this despite half of episode is like covering the match/tourney.. these denials smh

ping pong stadium is the place where the show mostly took screen time, go figures.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
All this sports anime, and filler, discussion reminds me of a really fascinating section I was reading in Anime A History about arguably the very first sports series Star of the Giants (1968). The problem the creators of this series faced and they way that they 'solved it' was arguably one of the most important creative choices within the history of TV anime.

Now, Star of the Giants was facing a problem that would become all to familiar to anime directors today - they were adapting the manga so quickly that they were running out of material to adapt. I'll just quote from the source material here [the bolded is my emphasis]:

Now, that really does sound remarkably modern, doesn't it? I imagine we've all experienced episodes of a series where time seems to slow to a crawl or where nothing of consequence happens over the course of minutes and minutes of time. Think of well, nearly any sports anime or more specifically the interminable pacing of Attack on Titan which was packed with incredibly vapid monologues and pointless flashbacks. I was certainly aware that these attempts at blatant padding followed a certain mould bit it's fascinating to see that they came from one particular source and one particular creator.

So, just in case you were looking for someone to blame for the state of modern shounen and sport manga adaptations remember to blame Yamazaki Haruya.

This guy is a true monster.

The only thing with a slower pace than baseball is an anime about baseball.

Well that was an interesting read. Awesome to learn who started those techniques for drawing things out.

Man Panty & Stocking is great toilet humor. The problem is that I hardly even chuckle nevertheless; apparently toilet humor simply ain't for me. It's still somewhat enjoyable because I can appreciate it's relatively good writing and entertaining animation (just finished ep10 and damn, that was great).

javac

Man Panty & Stocking is great toilet humor. The problem is that I hardly even chuckle nevertheless; apparently toilet humor simply ain't for me. It's still somewhat enjoyable because I can appreciate it's relatively good writing and entertaining animation (just finished ep10 and damn, that was great).

Still haven't seen it, but I love the soundtrack. The show just seems way to tacky for my tastes, but I don't mind that in my music hah.

ibyea

Banned

Holy crap! Because yes, that is familiar with so much of the adaptations for long running animes. But jeez, this particular example is worse than anything I have watched.

Hmm I was mainly thinking of Kore wa Zonbi Desu ka?.

Kore wa Zombie is the only other thing I can think of as well and it's far and away above Earth Defense Club in pretty much every way from the comedic timing to the presentation IMO. So yeah, hardly call that a poor track record.

That being said, Kore wa Zombie is not strictly a magical boy series that utilizes MG tropes to the extent of Earth Defense, so I don't know if I would compare them.

cajunator

Banned
Recently, My Sister is Unusual 11

So, it's a hot springs episode.

And there's mixed baths, girls with blushing knees, shoulders and everything else and people seeing eachother naked when they don't want to.

This show has just about everything that is wrong with anime in it. Im sorry you had to experience it.

Recently, My Sister is Unusual 12

Thank God for that. Well, hopefully a God that doesn't demand incest to get into heaven.

Well... The music wasn't too bad and the OP and ED was decent. The Metal Gear Solid joke was funny and Moa looks a bit like one of the Wake Up Girls.

Other than that:
jpwK9sp.jpg

It could have been worse of course... But not by much, so 1/5 heartlocks:
5nuWqun.png
blqtTr0.png
blqtTr0.png
blqtTr0.png
blqtTr0.png

At least its over now and you can pretend it doesnt exist!

One of the best anime/manga of all time, Hajime no Ippo is a sports series.

I feel pretty bad because last year was particularly good for sports series (mainly talking about Haikyuu and Yowamushi Pedal) but I watched none of them

All this sports anime, and filler, discussion reminds me of a really fascinating section I was reading in Anime A History about arguably the very first sports series Star of the Giants (1968).

Huh almost reminds me of a certain 2011 shonen adaption for some reason

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 41
B89KkkTIIAAdKcY.png

As Futoshi would say, shiveru!!!! Time for a battle royal, it may be pretty good assuming Sora is now going to fight. Though I kind of hope he defects and joins Yuuya-oniichan though I dont know how that will take place. Though it would be creative writing.

I wonder if Selena will affect Yuzu-oneechan like Yuto did in a previous episode.

Angel Beats! 5

t0SW3l6.jpg

Oh my God. I havent laughed this hard in a while. I love how wacky these characters are. That chair gag was hilarious every single time. When those scenes were replayed in slow mo with the sad music...I lost my shit.

What do you know. Yui is actually talented and a good front woman.

Leave Tenshi alone :( I feel bad for her..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom