• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Majin Bone 44

We needed a double episode this week. THe whole time in the Cocoon was pretty epic, felt like one of those scenes out of a video game when youre entering the beginning of the final act of sorts.

But the time at the start was fun, between shougo's faces and Antonio's great voice when he speaks english, its hard to pick best parts.
B89N4PXIgAQM5ix.png

Nagi no Asukara - 26 [End]

Man,
Miuna
got robbed. I was half expecting a
lesbo
ending because of a last few interactions near the end. It had some pretty interesting characters and one thing this show did well for the most part was character development.
I liked the decision to implement a dramatic change halfway through, it made things rather exciting again. While I think they could've made something more out of it, I was still content with what was offered.

On the other hand, like I've mentioned before, this show has more tears and crying than anything I have ever seen before. They went overboard with it to the point where I just started rolling my eyes. This led to situations that actually could've been reinforced by it, in turn felt straight up powerless.
There's also the fact that majority of the characters run away from situations all the time. You fell on your knee? Cry and run away from everyone. Someone slightly misinterpreted your words? Cry and run away from everyone.
Besides these points and a few.. forced dramas and questionable writing decisions, I enjoyed it to the end. Though I suspect the beautiful art had a strong impact.

tl:dr; Pretty good romance drama with good character progression, it has some flaws, looks amazing, Uroko best girl.

Nagi no Asukara - 26 [End]

Man,
Miuna
got robbed. I was half expecting a
lesbo
ending because of a last few interactions near the end. It had some pretty interesting characters and one thing this show did well for the most part was character development.
I liked the decision to implement a dramatic change halfway through, it made things rather exciting again. While I think they could've made something more out of it, I was still content with what was offered.

On the other hand, like I've mentioned before, this show has more tears and crying than anything I have ever seen before. They went overboard with it to the point where I just started rolling my eyes. This led to situations that actually could've been reinforced by it, in turn felt straight up powerless.
There's also the fact that majority of the characters run away from situations all the time. You fell on your knee? Cry and run away from everyone. Someone slightly misinterpreted your words? Cry and run away from everyone.
Besides these points and a few.. forced dramas and questionable writing decisions, I enjoyed it to the end. Though I suspect the beautiful art had a strong impact.

tl:dr; Pretty good romance drama with good character progression, it has some flaws, looks amazing, Uroko best girl.

That was one of my beefs with this show. Some drama felt forced and some issues dragged for too long. Regardless, I loved Nagi Asu. The art and music is fantastic.

Also, best boy and best girl got together. Which rarely ever happens in anime!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That gif (and the other one) are the only good things to come out of Angel Beato.

PK Gaming

Yamazaki coyly identifies the offending writers by their initials...The producer took on another writer hungrier for the work, Yazaki Haruya, who would transform Star of the Giants by writing an infamous episode in which the passage of a single ball, from pitcher's hand, to batter, to outfield, to plate was somehow stretched into an entire episode.

Wow, I need to see this

fertygo

Or all modern sports anime not Ping Pong or Free, really.
I guess Adachi gets a pass too.

Adachi's favorite sport is still baseball, of course his title still have some scene where the pitcher holding breath for 10 minute.. like climax at Cross Game iirc.

survivor

Banned
All this sports anime, and filler, discussion reminds me of a really fascinating section I was reading in Anime A History about arguably the very first sports series Star of the Giants (1968). The problem the creators of this series faced and they way that they 'solved it' was arguably one of the most important creative choices within the history of TV anime.
Just imagine, an anime adaptation of an ongoing Fukumoto manga that has to resort to this. We would have an entire episode dedicated to just reactions faces of a hand's reveal of a poker game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is why you read manga for sportsball things.

Just imagine, an anime adaptation of an ongoing Fukumoto manga that has to resort to this. We would have an entire episode dedicated to just reactions faces of a hand's reveal of a poker game.

Considering that match against Washizu is still going on in the Akagi manga it seems like the source material is already that!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Adachi's favorite sport is still baseball, of course his title still have some scene where the pitcher holding breath for 10 minute.. like climax at Cross Game iirc.
Yeah, but Adachi also does amazing things like skip games entirely and just tell you the outcome, which is mostly what matters in terms of the plot anyway. lol

FluxWaveZ

I was surprised—although not too much—that Angel Beats! was particularly disliked by some in the AotY thread. I didn't follow anime as much back when I watched it, but it was a very poignant show for me. I was put off by its first episodes, thinking that it was clearly not for me, but I came to really love it and the only thing I can think of that I didn't really like was the final twist,
of which the show derives its name from

Maybe I just like stories where the characters have to come to terms with their death. It's mainly why I enjoy Death Parade.

Soon, I think. Jasmine is going to put some finishing touches on it and it should be ready.

I've probably been freaking out about it more than anyone else, so I hope most people are happy with it when the final product is ready.

I guess speaking of, I'd like this poster thing to continue with someone picking up the reigns to commission a piece from their favorite anime (since we can't get a dumb podcast going). But maybe we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves. lol

I saw the November sketch and I think I'm going to be pretty happy with the end result!

I'm definitely down to help with more poster commissions, though I don't think I'd be able to organize one in good faith. I'd probably okay something, then forget it existed and wonder why people are yelling at me a few months later. :lol

Sterok

Yuri Kuma 5

Ginko backstory. Stuff happened with her. Ginko fantasies. Very elaborate. Kaoru is a manipulative dick. I approve. Great actor for sure, and she knows how to twist the knife.

On another note, where did all the hate for Happiness Charge Precure come from? Yeah the ending was garbage, but the first half I thought was really solid.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I saw the November sketch and I think I'm going to be pretty happy with the end result!

I'm definitely down to help with more poster commissions, though I don't think I'd be able to organize one in good faith. I'd probably okay something, then forget it existed and wonder why people are yelling at me a few months later. :lol
My plan was to see if either K-On GAF or LL-GAF would want to do something, since there would be an instant group of people interested in a particular property. But I assume there are enough fans of something here that someone could think of a project to do.

I think I'd also have to see if Mockingbird would be amenable to working with me again, since I diva'ed up a few times during the process.
(I literally thought of account suiciding at one point. It was rough. :p)

PK Gaming

Yuri Kuma Arashi 5

When did this become Gourmet Girl?
Ginko's imagine spots are seriously great.
Did anyone seriously buy her story
Glad the humans are fighting back; I can't wait to see what happens next week

Midonin

Code-E 07-09

So Adol and Mils aren't really the main bad guys in this story anyway. Whatever they want Chinami's power, they can't be more dangerous than the not-nearly-as-dead-as-I-thought love triangle. That her powers come from an asteroid made me remember that the first episode's cold open was an asteroid. It makes sense, in that slightly soft sci-fi kind of way. Have I mentioned that the story's taking place in 2017? The anime aired in 2017, so I'm sure that was a distant enough point in the future then, but now it feels like people with mild electromagnetic powers might be appearing within the next year or two. Still got a lot of charm.

Sailor Moon R The Movie

The Ikuhara levels are as strong as they ever were. Though not immediately obvious by the source material, some of his familiar shots and especially the obsession with flowers are so very him. It's not the kind of story that would impact Chibiusa's storyline, but getting a chance to see what the girls' attacks can do outside of stock footage, as well as a followup to Ali and An, is much appreciated. So much yaoi between Mamoru and Fiore - I guess Ikuhara can handle both sides of the coin when it comes to slash fiction.

My plan was to see if either K-On GAF or LL-GAF would want to do something, since there would be an instant group of people interested in a particular property. But I assume there are enough fans of something here that someone could think of a project to do.

I think I'd also have to see if Mockingbird would be amenable to working with me again, since I diva'ed up a few times during the process.
(I literally thought of account suiciding at one point. It was rough. :p)

Yikes, sorry to hear that. I think I can kind of understand why though, art commissions feel really touch-and-go wrt how much creative control you should/shouldn't exert depending on the artist, and I don't know anyone who likes ARIA and doesn't have strong feelings about it.

Glad you stayed in one piece! Also, I know someone who doesn't have a GAF account who would probably be interested in a LL poster, so things end up going that direction send me a poke or something.

I bet AnimeGAF might be interested in a Red Chaika poster? I sure would.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yikes, sorry to hear that. I think I can kind of understand why though, art commissions feel really touch-and-go wrt how much creative control you should/shouldn't exert depending on the artist, and I don't know anyone who likes ARIA and doesn't have strong feelings about it.

Glad you stayed in one piece! Also, I know someone who doesn't have a GAF account who would probably be interested in a LL poster, so things end up going that direction send me a poke or something.

I bet AnimeGAF might be interested in a Red Chaika poster? I sure would.
Yeah, I just hope most people are happy with it, considering we changed artists and so on.

I figure any poster depends on demand, as long as you can get 10 or so people interested. Or alternatively, you get a handful of people who are interested but are okay with paying a lot more for the print.

cajunator

Banned

No please. Hes had enough.

Upotte Series Impressions

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | WTF | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | OVA

Upotte!! is a Japanese animation from the studio Xebec. The premise is that guns have become a living, breathing being in the form of kawaii~ Japanese school girls. Each girl can magically conjure the weapon they are based from at will. The different mechanical traits of each gun has a physical affect on each girl such as their physical well being or their appearance. Pretty ridiculous right?

That said, this anime could be used as an educational tool for those interested in the history and mechanics of each weapon. I learned more about a M16 assault rifle in this anime than I have in any other form of media. I also learned the British are prideful boobs who use malfunctioning equipment out of some form of embarrassing patriotism.

This anime could be considered episodic with each episode going into detail about each gun's backstory (history in wars, evolution of weapon, etc). There is plenty of action for the gun fans and a slice of life format for the more laid back episodes. There is also a fox girl, an elf girl
ahh
, cat girls and dog girls. And guns don't kill people even after shooting them but that's beside the point. The OVA is a fantastic conclusion to the ending of the series which was left somewhat open when the animal girls destroyed a city for ??? reasons. But the plot is not important.

To answer this question

I'd have to say yes. Upotte is a fantastic educational anime that should be shown to every prospective gun owner. It is a great way to learn the history of your favorite gun and learn the best practices to maintain its body and functionality.

UPotte is excellent for gun enthusiasts and people who appreciate the sheer silliness of it. But British are certainly known for taking pride in dodgy machinery. Especially cars. They seem to revel in machinery breaking down so they can tinker with it and fix it. I can respect that passion.

The fact that GooP happened shortly after just got the ball rolling. I assume they're all watching KanColle now.

I wonder what the next one will be? Kind of exhausted all the options right?

Perhaps I should try KanColle again. There must be some reason ship girls are so popular.

I havent really figured it out yet but Im sure theres something.

Yuri Kuma Arashi 05

Wow, Ginko is really thirsty. Or hungry in this case. Gao Gao.
I'm glad the tomboy girl didn't die or wasn't a bear because they made her design specifically for me

This was a lewd episode. Even for a show called Lesbian Bear Storm. I don't really know why episode 2 was such a rush when this and the last one were paced fine.

--------------------

Not really. I would say to watch the first arc (4-5 or so episodes, until the start of the Hunter Exam at least I suppose) in the '99 version because the 2011 version kinda sucked at that. You could watch both to compare. Other then that 2011 all the way!
Also you must be warned you are picking up a series that will never be finished.

That's terrible. He was pretty young too.

How is SDBurton still alive?

Dog Days fans, if you're looking for something to fill a similar niche next season, I suggest Show By Rock!!

Same concept of animal people, only with bands instead of fantasy kingdoms.

OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDD
OH MY SQUEE FREAKING GOD

I am responsible of about 1000 of those clicks.

A friend of mine's been bugging me to watch princess nine.

Is it worth watching? My backlog is gigantic as is.
Princess Nine is excellent. Similar to Ping Pong, it's a drama (P9 being more melodramatic and shoujo-ish what with the romance, however) that focuses more on its characters rather than the sport that drives the story. Not quite as poignant, but still highly recommended.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
VOTOMS catchup: Ep7

Faust sold his soul to Mephistopheles,
so he could know the future.
Macbeth fell into hell following the three witches' prediction.
Chirico will divine his destiny from the Prototype.
In Woodo, what you need to buy your future
Is Jijirium and a little bit of risk.
Next time,
The Deal
Business in Woodo carries the scent of death.
Best Previews ever,
Kouji Kabuto Dies In Magma
has been dethroned

Even if the animation sometimes isn't up to the task of properly depicting what's actually going on, it isn't too hard to follow Chirico & Co. getting away with the jijirium. Chirico is the real star of the show so far, it's hard not to feel for the guy with all the crap he's going soon. Also half the music in this show is really awesome.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Discotek-Media/147168055312297?ref=br_tf

Discotek is announcing a whole bunch of new releases.

So far they have unveiled:

Earl and Fairy Complete series Japanese language, English subtitled.
Shining Tears X Wind complete series Japanese language, English subtitles.
Arpeggio of Blue Steel complete TV series. Japanese language, English subtitles.
Galilei Donna complete series Japanese language, English subtitles
Seha Girls (Sega Hard Girls) complete series
Strike the Blood complete series Japanese language English subs
Recently, My Sister is Unusual complete TV series. Japanese language with English subs.

More announcements pending.

The worst thing is I actually wanted to check out the show till I remember your earlier impressions.

Japanese are just still butthurt over Kohima-Imphal.

lol
NEW ARIA SPECIAL COMING FOR 10TH ANNIVERSARY
https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/562612759108788224/photo/1
VCuuRtb.jpg

GET HYPE!!!!

This has got to be why the BD set has been so slow... they really are waiting for a big date and throwing in a new special!

Hell yeah. I need to get back to this.

javac

La Maison en Petits Cubes (House of Small Cubes) is a 2008 Oscar winning animated short directed by Kunio Katō. The short itself is around 12 minutes in length and chronicles the life of a single, seemingly grumpy old man who lives in a house that appears to be a bunch of ‘cubes’ stacked on top of each other. The house in particular is surrounded by water and as the tides rise, he builds his house higher and higher. While doing so, one day he accidentally drops something and goes down to retrieve it. What seems like a simple premise ends up becoming one of the most endearing and touching pieces I’ve seen in the animation medium.

The short deals with the notion of hanging on to the past, not wanting to let go of your loved ones. To cling onto those special memories. No words are uttered, and yet it spoke to me. A beautiful voice it was. The music was equally enchanting as it gently plays in the background of the beautiful animation that looks unlike anything else I’ve seen. Everything is oozing with character and charm, from the environments to the lone protagonist himself. The mannerisms presented by the old man are endearing, charming and tangible. For someone who does not speak, he sure does feel real. The animation is just beautiful and this coupled with the music alone is enough to give it a watch. The fact that it tells a story that is as masterfully told through its world and visuals is evidence enough that you all need to watch this. To say I cried during this 12 minute ride is an understatement.

Although at face value there seems to be not much in the story department, the amount of depth in the imagery is impressive. Like how each building that manages to stay above the water seemingly gets smaller and smaller the higher they go. Or how at the ordinary cursory glance, this old man’s house looks insignificant but underneath the surface lays a labyrinth of memories. The deeper he goes, the closer he gets to the very foundations of his life.

Really, what seems like an ordinary old man at the start becomes someone enviable by us all. We would hope to have a life as rich as his, one as fulfilling as his, filled with memories of love and happiness, but also loss. La Maison en Petits Cubes forgoes words altogether and spellbinds its audience through its deep imagery and beautiful music.

Visually striking, pleasing to the ears and a story that gets the waterworks running, all within the span of 12 minutes. 10/10

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
More from Discotek, they just picked up Free Season 1 and are working with Crunchyroll.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Discotek-Media/147168055312297?fref=nf

Free! Iwatobi Swim Club complete season 1. This will be the Japanese language version with English subtitles on DVD. There may be an English dubbed version released in the future after this subtitled edition is out. No details yet on the possible dubbed version or who will release it yet.

Also there’s this:

Crunchyroll Inc. and Discotek Media will be working together to bring some of your favorite anime series to home video this year. The initial titles will be Free! -Iwatobi Swim Club, Recently My Sister is Unusual, Galilei Donna, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, and Strike the Blood. All series will be available subtitled on DVD later this year. Further details will be announced at a later date.
Free! Iwatobi Swim Club complete season 1. This will be the Japanese language version with English subtitles on DVD. There may be an English dubbed version released in the future after this subtitled edition is out. No details yet on the possible dubbed version or who will release it yet. Also there’s this: Crunchyroll Inc. and Discotek Media will be working together to bring some of your favorite anime series to home video this year. The initial titles will be Free! -Iwatobi Swim Club, Recently My Sister is Unusual, Galilei Donna, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, and Strike the Blood. All series will be available subtitled on DVD later this year. Further details will be announced at a later date.

Some Classic Titles announced.

Okay time for the older stuff! Finally we can announce the one title we have been chasing for years! Robot Carnival! It will include the Japanese language with English subtitles and the English dub.

Street Fighter II USA Network TV series. No art yet so here’s a couple of screen shots!

Street Fighter II the theatrical movie! On DVD and Blu Ray. Details to be announced later.

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust. DVD and Blu Ray! The goal is to release both this year. Full details to be released later.

Night Warriors (Darkstalkers) complete anime OVA series! It will include the Japanese language with English subtitles and the English dub.

Night on the Galactic Railroad! The plan is to release this year on DVD and later on Blu Ray. Japanese with English subtitles and the English dub.

Haikyuu 17

Ybq7Jxb.jpg

I enjoy the rugged thickness of the lines on this cut.

The animation and layouts were even more dynamic than usual this episode. It really helped to bring me into the raw emotion of the match. The ending, with Asahi's breakthrough, was particularly well-done.

So, uh, they have all this plus Free season 1. It'll be a sub-only DVD. WHAT.
Better do a Blu-Ray for that later, or I'll be upset.

Hey, they got Robot Carnival!

Basically the first round of titles is testing the water for future releases. Subbed DVDs are utterly cheap to make/sell, so anything that moves a lot of copies should be in line for a dub/BD treatment similar to what Sentai grew into.

Also, Discotek hires Sevakis for their BDs, so they can't make a lot of them at once anyways.

Clov

Basically the first round of titles is testing the water for future releases. Subbed DVDs are utterly cheap to make/sell, so anything that moves a lot of copies should be in line for a dub/BD treatment similar to what Sentai grew into.

Also, Discotek hires Sevakis for their BDs, so they can't make a lot of them at once anyways.

True. Free is popular enough to the point that I'm sure it will get a BD (with a dub) later on. It'll be a wait, but Sevakis' work will at least ensure they look good.

Also, did Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust have a BD in Japan? I don't remember it having one, for some reason.

Also, they got Night on the Galactic Railroad! Lots of exciting announcements today!

Yeah, that was pretty sad. That was when I stopped too. Maybe I should get back to watching the rest of it.

Its pretty solid. Give it a shot! I just wanted to binge something and I remembered I started AB! a while back so I picked it up randomly. Made a good decision!

That gif (and the other one) are the only good things to come out of Angel Beato.

What did you dislike about it? So far, the only weak episode to me has been the first ep. I've been enjoying it more and more as I progress.

I was surprised—although not too much—that Angel Beats! was particularly disliked by some in the AotY thread. I didn't follow anime as much back when I watched it, but it was a very poignant show for me. I was put off by its first episodes, thinking that it was clearly not for me, but I came to really love it and the only thing I can think of that I didn't really like was the final twist,
of which the show derives its name from

Maybe I just like stories where the characters have to come to terms with their death. It's mainly why I enjoy Death Parade.

I wish I started watching this earlier. I'm more than halfway in and I'm really enjoying it. It was #7 in that years AOTY rankings which is decent, but didn't seem like many voted back then anyways.

I'll have to see what this final twist is.

Had a listen to the OP and it sounds great! Not to keen on the one in your link though, never liked those GXSCC processed MIDIs.

I YouTubed for "GXSCC" and got more rants against it than any remixes done by it. Why is it so hated?

javac

Wonderful short, nice to see people still watching it. I wish Kunio Kato had more works, I love both this and Tortov Roddle.

I actually watched The Diary of Tortov Roddle today as well as all the extras they did for it and I absolutely loved it. The Red Berry in particular was hilarious. Such a beautiful art style and enchanting soundtrack. I wish there were more like it, I'm really into my animated shorts right now. Super refreshing stuff, and all of it is blowing me away. Amazing stories told in such a short period of time. A literal goldmine. Might write a little review up on Tortov Roddle tomorrow, as its 4am here now lol.

Speaking of which, I actually recognize your username, you did a review for it on MAL, correct? Thanks for that, it really convinced me to watch it :)

A Certain Scientific Railgun - 20

So it turns out that the earthquakes that have been happening in the past few episodes are not earthquakes at all, but actually poltergeists. It also turns out that these poltergeists are not ghosts or anything, but rather some...condition that occurs due to the resonance of the subconscious of esper users or something along those lines.
And it turns out someone is actually controlling them rather than them being random incidents. Yeesh this is confusing.

Well, if the OP didn't spoil the new orange-haired lady being the villain of this arc (along with that subtle smile from her at the end of this episode) I might have initially thought it'd be the new girl who showed up in this episode. Now I wonder just what role she plays in all of this. So aside from my small gripes, things are definitely getting interesting!

Andrew J.

Go Princess Pretty Cure

If there's a "Go" in the title, shouldn't there be five of them?

Finally, someone's ripping off Ikuhara. Even more than Star Driver, I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom