• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gintama 058

TiiiNWB.jpg

Wonder what these guys are up to...

So, there's idiot Sakamoto instead of idiot prince this time and he brings a gun to a swordfight. And there's a balls cannon firing cannon balls.

Clov

So, apparently even after all of those announcements last night, Discotek isn't finished. They say they'll be announcing even more titles tonight. I wonder what else they managed to get?

So, apparently even after all of those announcements last night, Discotek isn't finished. They say they'll be announcing even more titles tonight. I wonder what else they managed to get?

Whatever it is, it isn't Hyouka. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

javac

Anime Limited have expressed interest in releasing a cheaper version of the Gundam Origin Blu-ray maybe next year, and they are also looking into getting the rights for more Gundam releases for the UK, and have stated that 2016 will be a big and interesting year for releases.

Also,
ctZ2Hca.jpg

Anime Limited are happy to announce the theatrical release of Production I.G’s award-winning film A Letter to Momo in the UK. The film will be screening as part of The Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme.

Seven years in the making and created by Production I.G, the studio that brought you Ghost In The Shell, A Letter to Momo combines state-of-the-art traditional hand drawn animation with heart-warming, emotional storytelling for children and adults alike.

A Letter to Momo will be screened at the following locations:
  • Mac, Birmingham (10 February 2015)
  • Watershed, Bristol (14 February 2015)
  • QUAD, Derby (15 February 2015)
  • Dundee Contemporary Arts, Dundee (21 February 2015)
  • Filmhouse, Edinburgh (28 February 2015)
  • Tyneside Cinema, Newcastle upon Tyne (7 March 2015)
  • Showroom Cinema, Sheffield (14 March 2015)
  • Broadway Cinema, Nottingham(21 March 2015)
  • QFT, Belfast (22 March 2015)
In addition to A Letter to Momo, The Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme will also be screening Sunrise’s Short Peace – a collection of short animated films including the Oscar nominated Possessions.

For more details and tickets, please visit http://www.jpf-film.org.uk.

Also, some new box-art
DD Fist of the North Star - Complete Collection
Release Date: 14th April 2015
Format: Blu-ray (DVD not shown below)
Language: Japanese
h2PNuuT.jpg

crHkOLJl.jpg
Nisekoi: False Love - Volume 3
Release Date: 31st March 2015
Format: Blu-ray
5V9FRn6.jpg
Nisekoi: False Love - Volume 4
Release Date: 26th May 2015
Format: Blu-ray
8pSfXX5.jpg
She, The Ultimate Weapon - Complete Collection
Release Date: 7th April 2015
Format: DVD
Language: English & Japanese
wqCWxJ5l.jpg

KmAHccl.jpg
The Pet Girl of Sakurasou - Complete Collection
Release Date: 14th April 2015
Format: Blu-ray and DVD
NrzNmKB.jpg

5ppTtGxl.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pet Girl is a good six episode romcom burdened by another 18 episodes of shit. :(

Also, I'm still salty that UK gets all these anime movies but no one here seems to give a shit.

Clov

Pet Girl is a good six episode romcom burdened by another 18 episodes of shit. :(

Also, I'm still salty that UK gets all these anime movies but no one here seems to give a shit.

I think Momo already came out here. Cinedigm gave it a BD release, if I'm remembering right.

They do seem to get more at times, though. I'm still upset that they've had Perfect Blue on BD for years and we still don't.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think Momo already came out here. Cinedigm gave it a BD release, if I'm remembering right.

They do seem to get more at times, though. I'm still upset that they've had Perfect Blue on BD for years and we still don't.
Cinedigm? No wonder I missed it. lol

Clov

Cinedigm? No wonder I missed it. lol

Yeah, they're relatively small-time. Gkids released a few of their licenses through them (Poppy Hill, Momo, Patema Inverted, etc), though it seems that they're now opting to use Universal. At least for Princess Kaguya, they are.

javac

Those Blu-ray releases are US releases, just to be clear, outside of the Momo theatrical release, Gundam Origins is also coming out in the US, same package and all that if the PR is to be believed.

Gintama 058

Well now...

So this is the start of the Benizakura arc. Katsura seems to be dead, Gintoki gets hurt really bad and old enemies appear. Things seem to be slightly more serious, even though there's still some comedy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, they're relatively small-time. Gkids released a few of their licenses through them (Poppy Hill, Momo, Patema Inverted, etc), though it seems that they're now opting to use Universal. At least for Princess Kaguya, they are.
Yeah, I don't even check them. But I should be happy that they're licensed at all.

Gintama 058

Well now...

So this is the start of the Benizakura arc. Katsura seems to be dead, Gintoki gets hurt really bad and old enemies appear. Things seem to be slightly more serious, even though there's still some comedy.

At this point I'd suggest watching the movie instead. As others have said the TV does a great job, but the movie tells the same story at a much higher animation budget. Also most of the serious arcs in Gintama put other shonen to shame.

Clov

Some great news for North American Ghibli fans; apparently Disney's BD of Porco Rosso is NOT dubtitled. Looks like we avoided another Princess Mononoke situation.

At this point I'd suggest watching the movie instead. As others have said the TV does a great job, but the movie tells the same story at a much higher animation budget. Also most of the serious arcs in Gintama put other shonen to shame.

Final scene is better. But the rest doesn't scream higher budget.

Jex

Okay Jexhius, you win.

Binan is good.

I'm not always a spreader of lies.
Bunch of Yurilords in here.

While I have you attention, I'd like to recommend Cute High Earth Defense Club Love!.

Imagine an alternate universe where Ikuhara was not a one trick pony and she decided to subvert/deconstruct mahou shoujo, again! That's what Cute High is in a nutshell.
Huh?

Taruranto

What the hell? Is this Shinbo or Ikuhara???

Ginko backstory really didn't for me. I can't help but compare it to (Utena spoilerz)
Anthy and Utena. But while Utena wanting to save Anthy made sense with her backstory, Kureha's motivations to save Ginko just come out as completely random and nonsensical. She just walks to her and says she loves her? uh?

Mature

The Blood Blockade Battlefront character designs are getting better as they reveal more of the supporting cast. I'm not too hot on the main characters initially revealed, but I'm starting to dig the new ones.

http://kekkaisensen.com/character/index.html

Akio Otsuka as Blitz T Abrams:

Unsho Ishizuka as Patrick:

Mamoru Miyano as Dog Hummer:

Keiji Fujiwara as Deldro Brody:

Hikaru Midorikawa as Zed O'Brien:
Kawamoto's designs are looking great. Excited to see them in motion.
Whatever it is, it isn't Hyouka. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Well, they already picked up one Kyoani title yesterday...

Gintama 059

Oh, so this is where that is from.

Kagura gets captured and gets into a spit fight, Shinpachi goes on a rescue mission and there's more to the story about the sword than first told...

And you wouldn't want to mess with Otae when she's taking care of you. :p

Clov

Kawamoto's designs are looking great. Excited to see them in motion.
Well, they already picked up one Kyoani title yesterday...

This does make me wonder; what if the reason that Hyouka hasn't been released in North America isn't because of Kadokawa being stubborn, but because Crunchyroll is sitting on the home video rights? If that is the case, then Discotek could release it through their new partnership with Crunchyroll.

Who knows, though! I'm not expecting it myself, but we'll all find out what they have in store tonight.

This does make me wonder; what if the reason that Hyouka hasn't been released in North America isn't because of Kadokawa being stubborn, but because Crunchyroll is sitting on the home video rights? If that is the case, then Discotek could release it through their new partnership with Crunchyroll.

Who knows, though! I'm not expecting it myself, but we'll all find out what they have in store tonight.

Would be weird when they didn't stream it?

Trying to get people's hopes up here, eh? :p

Midonin

KanColle 05

If this means Kongou is going to have more of a presence in future episodes, I don't mind that. She's a fun character. Fubuki's getting some of that leadership that's expected of a heroine. A nice little character building piece. Also, my investment in the show shot way up as soon as multiple character song albums were announced this morning. I can love someone when seeing their adventures, but a song to remember their adventures by? That has plenty of replay value.

Jex

[Gundam Build Fighters Try] - 17

It's funny that I only recently wrote a post about how to pad out your anime because the first half of the episode was certainly a showcase for some of those techniques. From a protracted and meaningless "shipping" section to characters sitting around and watching footage from earlier in the series (some characters were even watching footage of stuff they experienced first hand) you really felt that they were just ensuring we didn't get to the fight too quickly.

As for the fight itself, well, it looks the most important elements of the fight wont even happen till next week. Great.

Parasyte - 17

Good episode; that's noticeable when it feels like the ~20mins fly by in no time.

The reactions the normal people have towards these utterly deformed parasites though is really hard to take serious at times. Last episode the truck drivers weren't bothered by the completely deformed body with blade-arms and this time around a young couple decides to inquire about a lady running around with only half a head while laughing manically too boot.

Parasyte - 17

Good episode; that's noticeable when it feels like the ~20mins fly by in no time.

The reactions the normal people have towards these utterly deformed parasites though is really hard to take serious at times. Last episode the truck drivers weren't bothered by the completely deformed body with blade-arms and this time around a young couple decides to inquire about a lady running around with only half a head while laughing manically too boot.

in a country full of flying giant robots and humans with giant eyes you think this would make them react?

Midonin

Testament 05

If there are things TV networks won't allow you to show, at least cover them up in a creative way. Macademi's claymation is still my favorite, but these slightly large versions of Mio and Maria have their merits. Also, good on Basara for having the conscience to realize that Maria's... er, plan, may appeal to her succubus instincts, but he's not really into that, thanks.

in a country full of flying giant robots and humans with giant eyes you think this would make them react?

Yup, even then it's freaky!

I gotta say that Parasyte doesn't lend itself well to the 20min episodes format. Am getting somewhat tired of hoping for more stuff too happen before the end when it'll just end on a cliffhanger anyways.

I'll probably stop watching now and save up the remaining episode for binge watching at the end of the season.

Yup, even then it's freaky!

I gotta say that Parasyte doesn't lend itself well to the 20min episodes format. Am getting somewhat tired of hoping for more stuff too happen before the end when it'll just end on a cliffhanger anyways.

I'll probably stop watching now and save up the remaining episode for binge watching at the end of the season.

I'm considering doing this. Many of my western shows are 40 mins and 10-13 episodes per season, this is better than 20-26 episodes of 20 mins.

Jex

For some bizarre reason what had been a pretty normal anime podcast decided to do an entire episode on some light novel trash called The Book of Bantorra. It's pretty bizarre to hear anyone talk so seriously about something that sounds utterly stupid, although I suppose given that Mari Okada was involved I can forgive their fascination.

By the way, "The Church of Drowning in God's Grace" is the most light novel name ever for a bad guy organisation. I mean, what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom