• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Certain Scientific Railgun - 21

Oh man, things are getting more tense.

I mean, not nearly as tense as Hunter X Hunter or FMP Second Raid, but still pretty tense.

The villain of this arc is totally that director lady, calling it now. I mean, the OP pretty much spoils it.

Jarmel

Banned
Reconguista in G-13
izUljplp5NRBa.jpg

oh lawd those Yoshida designs.

This episode was amazing.

1. Klim's scummy plan
2. The plan backfiring
3. The elevator conversation
4. The fight in the church
5."It might have been caused by thinking too much".

Jarmel

Banned
Murano doesn't need any elaboration upon but I don't recall anything Tamiya did/said this episode that really grinded my gears in the most recent episode. What did you have in mind?

The general notion that her being a mother is her weakness and ultimately leading to her downfall. How she fell in love with the child and so 'lost' her edge. It's not as bad as Murano but it's still slightly grating as it somewhat feeds into the whole 'women are irrational'.

Clov

Looks like the next set of Discotek announcements may be delayed until next week. A bit disappointing, but they did just announce around 14 titles.

The general notion that her being a mother is her weakness and ultimately leading to her downfall. How she fell in love with the child and so 'lost' her edge. It's not as bad as Murano but it's still slightly grating as it somewhat feeds into the whole 'women are irrational'.

I didn't get that at all. It's more like "parents are irrational", which is the message on both the Parasyte and human side considering the detective's role. We've already seen that the parasytes are becoming more human as made apparent by their ability to emote better now. Just something life-changing like becoming a parent supposedly speeds up the process.

Really don't see anything misogynistic about that.

Jarmel

Banned
I didn't get that at all. It's more like "parents are irrational", which is the message on both the Parasyte and human side considering the detective's role. We've already seen that the parasytes are becoming more human as made apparent by their ability to emote better now. Just something life-changing like becoming a parent supposedly speeds up the process.

Really don't see anything misogynistic about that.

Well the detective seemingly acted rationally in the end. He pretty much trapped her into a confined space where she couldn't escape.

Crocodile

I haven't read the manga so I dunno if some stupid shit is coming up but so far she doesn't come across as any weaker to me or having lost her edge. Her intelligence is still there (and I feel the "humanity" she has gained has made her a more rounded and frankly threatening individual in the grander scheme though I don't know if the narrative will actually allow her to act on that), she still manhandled those enemy parasites, she hasn't done anything I'd call particularly ill advised, etc.

I mean yes, if she continued to give no shits about the baby she probably wouldn't be at the park (not that she'd know the whole police force would show there) so she is in a dangerous scenario as a result. I don't think going to reclaim the baby from either a "I want to keep it to continue to do research on humans" and/or a developed maternal instinct to protect ones own genetic material counts as stupid or irrational though. This is also the logical end goal of her character development and the pathway that was set when we learned she was pregnant and saw the interaction between Tamiya and the mother of her host. I assume the gameplan here is that she wants to give the baby to Shinichi because she realizes she can't protect/care for the baby in the long term which also seems logical to me.

Jarmel

Banned
I haven't read the manga so I dunno if some stupid shit is coming up but so far she doesn't come across as any weaker to me or having lost her edge. Her intelligence is still there (and I feel the "humanity" she has gained has made her a more rounded and frankly threatening individual in the grander scheme though I don't know if the narrative will actually allow her to act on that), she still manhandled those enemy parasites, she hasn't done anything I'd call particularly ill advised, etc.

I mean yes, if she continued to give no shits about the baby she probably wouldn't be at the park (not that she'd know the whole police force would show there) so she is in a dangerous scenario as a result. I don't think going to reclaim the baby from either a "I want to keep it to continue to do research on humans" and/or a developed maternal instinct to protect ones own genetic material counts as stupid or irrational though. This is also the logical end goal of her character development and the pathway that was set when we learned she was pregnant and saw the interaction between Tamiya and the mother of her host. I assume the gameplan here is that she wants to give the baby to Shinichi because she realizes she can't protect/care for the baby in the long term which also seems logical to me.

I don't know about that. She did leave the note there and is seemingly about to hand the baby off to Shinichi before she gets axed, so I take it she had a good idea the game was up. I do agree this is the logical endpoint for her character but it also leaves a somewhat bad taste in my mouth.

Well the detective seemingly acted rationally in the end. He pretty much trapped her into a confined space where she couldn't escape.

How did he act rationally? He confronted a monster he knew would kill him without informing the police. That they happened on him in the park was pure coincidence because they entered Tamura's apartment and saw the note.

It wasn't a trap, he went there to die.

Jarmel

Banned
How did he act rationally? He confronted a monster he knew would kill him without informing the police. That they happened on him in the park was pure coincidence because they entered Tamura's apartment and saw the note.

It wasn't a trap, he went there to die.

He told them what Reiko was. So the question becomes whether he knew the police would see the note when they raided her apartment, which was certainly going to happen.

Gaiking Legend of Daiku Maryu - 2

What good is a rocket punch that doesn't come back? Already Mazinger Z has this thing outclassed.

That aside though, I'm enjoying this quite a bit. It's got a nice charm to it that enjoyed seeing the first GaoGaiGar series. It's all right so far.

Crocodile

I don't know about that. She did leave the note there and is seemingly about to hand the baby off to Shinichi before she gets axed, so I take it she had a good idea the game was up. I do agree this is the logical endpoint for her character but it also leaves a somewhat bad taste in my mouth.

I'm not sure if the probable baby-swap will be done because she feels things are generally ramping up (I mean she did just fend off an assassination attempt) so the chances she ever dies has risen or the baby is used as a bargaining chip are increased (so she would just be generally cautious) or if she feels she'll be dead within 24 hours (last will duties).

My preferred end game would just that she integrates in human society and peacefully coexist as she raises her kid. I get the feeling the parastye "society" is about to self-destruct (to say nothing of the pressure the police will b exerting soon) so the smart thing to do seems to just divorce one-selves from all the nonsense and she seems like the type of person to become aware of something like that. We'll see how this all plays out soon I guess.

He told them what Reiko was. So the question becomes whether he knew the police would see the note when they raided her apartment, which was certainly going to happen.

It's a bit hard to get the detectives state of mind. I feel like you're giving him too much benefit of the doubt but I can't say conclusively that you're wrong either.

Fushigiboshi no Futagohime 2

leveling up majick sort of reminds me of how shoddy the Ojamajos were with their magick capabilities, often creating something far less than what they wanted, but still ended up resolving an issue. Although I don't know if it'll play the same role as it did in Ojamajo Doremi.

But really, twins for our Magical girls. Neat.

Detective Opera Milky Holmes 3

Ummmmmmmmmmmm that was questionable

Kancolle Episode 05
I am beginning to see why boat girls are everywhere now even without playing the game.
Wont be suck into that money pit of figmas and etc

Parasyte-17

This is almost misogynistic level female writing.

Really? Of all episodes this is something you'd tag this ludicrous tag to?

Murano remains a poorly developed character, sure, but she didn't play much of a role this episode.

Tamiya was obviously in the focus point of this episode and how am I supposed to take the second quote seriously when she just destroyed 3 other 'male' (they're all parasites, they just take over the body, let's not forget that) parasites with relative ease. Her transition into a more human being has also been pretty steady and is neither badly written so far nor is attachment to her baby a bad thing to go help this process. Had she immediately 'lost her edge', as you say, upon birth of the child, perhaps you'd have a point, but eh, even then that doesn't sound like anything offensive. But nothing like that even happened in the first place.

yeah I wouldn't say the whole 'motherhood' aspect of her is meant to be sexist, it was more of a figuring out that Parasytes are more complex than any of them realize. She even says at the beginning of the episode that she was surprised and happy that she learned a bit more about parasytes.

DiGiKerot

Kancolle - 05

Man the "kancolle" fan service for the fans is perfect ...

The whole "flight-deck chest" joke was a little weird, in that jokes of that nature are almost universally aimed at the Light Carrier Ryuujou normally. Of course, none of the Light Carriers (or the submarines, for that matter) have appeared in the anime yet, so I'm now left wondering what on Earth they could actually do with Ryuujou, should she appear, now that her defining character joke has been stolen by a dastardly CV.

Syrinx

Holy shit. Amazing.

I'm still wondering how they'll handle Athena though, or if they'll even include her.

The future of humanity rests at the bottom of the sea.
She was on the poster tease thing. Wager she'll be in it but they probably won't have her sing. Matching that voice will be borderline impossible.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
She was on the poster tease thing. Wager she'll be in it but they probably won't have her sing. Matching that voice will be borderline impossible.
That's the thing, they lost both her voices, so I don't know what they can do unless they recycle lines or recast her speaking voice.

Syrinx

That's the thing, they lost both her voices, so I don't know what they can do unless they recycle lines or recast her speaking voice.
I think they'll recast her voice but not have her sing, basically. I'm really not basing this on anything so it means dick all, but it's what I think they'll do.

DiGiKerot

Cinderella Girls 3-4

What the hell is up with the what this Kirari girl talks? And how did Anzu even end up there?

Anzu was presumably informed that, through work that could earn her royalties or otherwise, she could earn enough money to comfortably retire early. She just doesn't do much if she can't see it directly leading to that particular goal.

Alternate answer: her smile.

Mr.Jeff

ARIA The AVVENIRE is a movie.
This will be interesting. I'm intrigued how they'll fit the format of Aria into a movie timescale.

I think they'll recast her voice but not have her sing, basically. I'm really not basing this on anything so it means dick all, but it's what I think they'll do.
There's the possibility that they may ask Kawai Eri's family to use the same songs that were prevalent in the series, Barracole and Coccolo and just recast the VA portion.

Wonder if this will lead to an Amanchu adaptation.

Also speaking of Aria, I'm considering doing a couple of watchbets with people for either Aria or Mushishi depending on your series length poison. Thus far I've agreed with nintendoman58 for a trade of Mushishi for Samurai Flamenco

ibyea

Banned
Lesbian Bear Storm 3-5
It's weird. I kind of get it, but I don't? Certain things are a bit too abstract for me get, but things have definitely cleared up. I would say episode 4 is the best one yet. Other than that, I am not sure 100% what is at stake. The abstractness is harming the show. It's meh, but credit to the show for doing it with style.

So far I don't see anything resembling a good character when it comes to Kureha. Ginko and Lulu so far take the spotlight. And the judge, prosecutor, and defense bears for the court part are certainly a lot of fun.

Finally, man do I not want anyone to walk in while I am watching this show. ^_^

So, being more informed, I will put my verdict on "survival strategy" vs "yuri approved":
survival strategy

The whole "flight-deck chest" joke was a little weird, in that jokes of that nature are almost universally aimed at the Light Carrier Ryuujou normally. Of course, none of the Light Carriers (or the submarines, for that matter) have appeared in the anime yet, so I'm now left wondering what on Earth they could actually do with Ryuujou, should she appear, now that her defining character joke has been stolen by a dastardly CV.

Now now , at this point , everyone who hasn't got an apperance ( even few sec ) won't be in this season..
We can expect some good things for the cast-in jokes when the cast will inevitably expand when S2 happens ( it will happen , no doubt )

DiGiKerot

Now now , at this point , everyone who hasn't got an apperance ( even few sec ) won't be in this season..
We can expect some good things for the cast-in jokes when the cast will inevitably expand when S2 happens ( it will happen , no doubt )

I refuse to believe that we aren't getting Hachi at all this season.

I REFUSE, you hear me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom