• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinger256

Hunter X Hunter 1998 1-30

The show up to this point has been consistently entertaining. Not surprising considering the amount of praise it gets around here but there's nothing special yet that makes it stand out amongst other well made shounen shows. I'm hoping that, because I'm past the exam arc, the show can drop some of its tiring shonen tropes and the characters, especially Gon, can grow beyond the formulaic motivations and traits that have been already set up. But the show is still very enjoyable and, from what I've watched, has among the best opening arcs.

I also can't wait to compare these episodes to the 2011 version (and the eventual 2022 version). It's always interesting contrasting different adaptations and analyzing any noticeable improvements or setbacks, especially ones with 8 year gaps.

Jintor

Log Horizon s2 19

plot a+, writing a, animation b

what the hell is roe's deal

Yama no Susume s2 08

I mean, yeah, worrying about a sexy swimsuit is part and parcel of being an adolescent girl i guess, i just wish it wasn't part of this particular anime? this anime is too healing to think about young girls in swimsuits in. never again pls

Tonari no Seki-kun 18

Why did I stop watching this, too funny

Jintor

Screenshot%202015-02-17%2019.59.42%20%28Small%29.png

the superior the animation folks :T

/edit okay this band being really shitty is excellent. If the game had more of this this scene would've been better

/edit Wow I don't know how I ever noticed that Kugimiya's voice can be really annoying lol. Maybe I just expect my Rise to be Laura Bailey too much

/XX/

Tsk06 on Twitter: "Today, I mainly checked the draft contract concerning the exhibit in the outside of Japan. - Ghibli diary on Feb 16 HongKong---->Paris---->?"
https://twitter.com/tsk06/status/567632241598029825

Accepting bets right now! Being a little selfish I'd want it to come to Madrid or somewhere a little bit closer... but as long as more people get to see it, I suppose going to The Americas could be the next logical step.

Some samples from this exposition, where they even had the pleasure of using non other than Juanjo Guarnido as a one-off guide!

The show up to this point has been consistently entertaining. Not surprising considering the amount of praise it gets around here but there's nothing special yet that makes it stand out amongst other well made shounen shows. I'm hoping that, because I'm past the exam arc, the show can drop some of its tiring shonen tropes and the characters, especially Gon, can grow beyond the formulaic motivations and traits that have been already set up. But the show is still very enjoyable and, from what I've watched, has among the best opening arcs.

I also can't wait to compare these episodes to the 2011 version (and the eventual 2022 version). It's always interesting contrasting different adaptations and analyzing any noticeable improvements or setbacks, especially ones with 8 year gaps.

The main difference is pace, the hunter arc is tighter and more brisk in the 2011 adaptation. The first 30 episodes of the first anime are 21 in the 2011 adoption. One episode can be explained because the 2011 tells the Kaito part later, but the other 8 is just slower pace and a bit of filler, as the manga was running around that time and they couldn't run a lot.

Of course the original anime doesn't reach the part of the Chime Ant arc, I suppose the pace would be the same there...

cajunator

Banned
TWGOK II

How do you hook up to Virtual Boy to a PSP? Needed more Haqua...

Also...what the FUCK is this abomination?

Oh no you DIDNT just insult Yokkyun.

‘Memories’ (1995) is one of the more well-known compilation films out there, so chances are you’ve probably heard of it, but in case you haven’t, it’s an animated movie consisting of 3 films and each one is helmed as usual by a different director. I wouldn’t really consider this a short of sorts as the film overall lasts over 112 minutes, but for formalities sake these are three shorts. Each one of these shorts differs from the one that came before it, well except for the one thing they all hold in common, the fact that they’re amazing, and masterfully directed. It’s no wonder the people who directed these shorts are considered to be the best in the business because they shine here and demonstrate just how much they are indeed capable of. These 112 minutes will have you taking in a whole gamut of emotions and will leave an impression on you long after the credits stop.

‘Memories’ is the brainchild of Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira, Steamboy) and is based on the Manga written by him (Memories of Her…) which itself consists of many short stories, three of which were adapted here for your viewing pleasure with the last of the three shorts also being directed by Otomo.

The first of the three shorts is called Magnetic Rose and is a beautiful sci-fi tale chronicling the space expedition of a bunch of ‘space salvagers’ who go around collecting wreckages and such in order to make a living. Directed by Kouji Morimoto (Studio 4°C Founder, assistant animation director on Akira, animation director on Mind Game, Genius Party, The Animatrix, Robot Carnival) and legend in general and a script by Satoshi Kon. On what seems like just another day on the job they receive an SOS transmission from someone and go forth into the unknown in order to respond to it. The music (Yoko Kanno) is of an operatic nature and blew me away at the opening scene alone and this moment alone cemented the fact that I’d go on to love this piece. The music makes heavy use of Giacomo Puccini’s Madama Butterfly (Maria Callas) and works with the art in order to conjure up feelings of awe and wonder as you gaze into the dark abyss that shrouds the main characters as they drift around the endless space. The music is seriously phenomenal and is masterfully composed and adds an unrelenting punch to each and every scene.

This would be praiseworthy enough, but when coupled with the fantastic visuals it really goes hand in hand to create something that honestly upsets me, because I doubt I’ll see many other pieces that match this. The character designs are strong; everyone looks distinct but wholly realistic and tangible. The mechanical designs are grounded in reality and are intricate and well thought-out. Voice acting is superb and the script is grown up and in the end accumulates to what is a bunch of realistic and human characters that become host to a cluster of emotions in the 44 minutes that they are on screen for.

The story is haunting, sad, emotional and just downright powerful and will leave you thinking about it long after it’s over. Beautiful music, great characters and gorgeous art come together for this tsunami of emotions that will whisk you away.

The second of the three shorts is called Stink Bomb and is directed by Tensai Okamura (Medarot, Darker than Black, Wolf’s Rain) of Madhouse fame, the studio coincidentally bringing you this short and a script again by Satoshi Kon. The music here was composed by Jun Miyake, and unlike the first short this makes use of jazz and funk which works incredibly well with the nature of this film. The film itself is a black comedy of sorts and one that had me in stitches throughout its 40 minutes run time. Without delving too deep into the plot, the story revolves around a lab technician named Nobuo Tanaka who happens to have a bad case of the flu. After taking his flu shot he decides to go back to work where he spends most of his day sneezing at the detriment of his co-workers, one of which recommends that he take an experimental pill that they’ve been developing to rid his flu. Unfortunately for him the pill in questions happens to be something else entirely and reacts badly with his aforementioned flu shot as he starts to excrete a deadly odour that kills everyone near him...but of course he doesn’t know that!

The short is seriously hilarious and had me laughing the whole way through and I find that it is the perfect supplement to the first short which is super serious. Don’t let the comedic nature fool you however, the animation is top notch and looks superb with some spectacular scenes. A good laugh is needed every once in a while and this happens to be just what the doctor ordered.

The last of these shorts is Cannon Fodder and is both written and directed by Katsuhiro Otomo himself and is animated by Studio 4 °C. The music in this short was composed by Hiroyuki Nagashima. The whole thing is very unconventional from its art style to the way in which it appears be told in one shot with no breakaways throughout the 22 minute duration. The art style presents a bleak, smoggy world but one focusing on a young boy who is full of zest. This works well as juxtaposition between the innocence of the young boy and the grim world in which he inhabits. The world is one that is in a constant war as the city fires its cannons at an unseen enemy, and they do so ritualistically. Day in, day out they fire their cannons. The camera never pulls away from the action, swinging and swaying seamlessly from one scene to the next as you see the life of this one family in a world that never sleeps, one that is dark and bleak but one where the young ones still dream, even if it is misguided in what they want to become.

A futile world, presented with a beautiful art style, unique character designs and a strong message. A sad story, but one told in a way that isn’t heavy handed and one that will have you smile from time to time at the banter between the family members which adds to the emotional impact of it all.

These three shorts are phenomenal alone, each delivering something worth watching, but together as a compilation they truly complement each other and work together in order to create an astonishing visual/audio tour de force. The music blew me away in each of the three shorts, as did the art and visuals. It’s all remarkably high quality, undoubtedly so but truly distinct and gripping in presentation. You truly won’t be forgetting any one of these shorts any time soon and I without a doubt recommend you all to take 2 hours out of your day to watch these as soon as you get the chance. You’ll be left spellbound, you’ll laugh, and you’ll cry but one thing is for sure, you’ll be left with some great memories.

10/10

Memories is a wonderful animation compilation. A lot of people make fun of Stink Bombn but it was hilarious. Magnetic rose is of course the one most narratively heavy and the main attraction of the compilation and Satoshi Kon worked on it so naturally its excellent.

Please never invoke the name of Rob Liefeld ever again.

He's such a dick, like suuuuuuuuuuuuch a dick.

Yes he sucks which is why I make fun of him all the time.

Bunny kingdom was confirmed in the manga and special blu-ray material of the last season but was introduced in this episode for everyone ...It's a country in the north of flyonnarde, no map yet.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Playing games with my heart now.

This looks pretty crazy. I might have to watch some. No idea wtf is going on here but it seems to live up to the name.

I'm about to start rewatching Evangelion. Barely remember watching it in the first place, or maybe I watched the movie recaps.

Oh youre in for a treat then! So many delicious little details to soak in.

Tuck

Don't expect much growth from Gon. Not saying he gets none, but he very much remains the same stubborn kid.

That said, hunter x hunter is known for deviating from standard shonen tropes.
Log Horizon s2 19

plot a+, writing a, animation b

what the hell is roe's deal

Yama no Susume s2 08
A B for animation? You crazy? I'd give it an F-.

cajunator

Banned
usmz1Hb.gif

A 2009 production, so it has all those late 2000's tropes everyone loves. It's a Drama set in the mid 1980's.
The girls themselves are pretty entertaining and get their own arcs and episodes and setups and personalities, but I'm pretty sure it's actually a harem. Nobody really hesitates to manipulate each other but because of that I actually don't really know what's happening anymore. I think someone(s) is going to do something batshit insane by the end of the show. Someone here is gonna break and I don't know who it is just yet. All I know is that when that happens. It will be glorious.

Oh yeah. And that girl (Rina) and MC's girlfriend (Yuki) are idols. So there's the conflict.

Yeah, Rina is pretty much the best character on the show so far. This scene was so rewarding. I feel like I just got the payoff for something but I have no idea what it was for. Which means it's the setup for something (I stopped in the middle of the episode to type this).
pLjw5sE.gif

These gifs aren't disgustingly big or something are they? I'm just using GifCam and default settings.

I like her. Looks like Koko Kaga except maybe not as batshit crazy.
But then again her batshit craziness made her amazing.

Don't forget! I wanna see the cute.

also shizzsqueezy? lol Totally a Cajun word. <3

Yes its my new word! *hugs it and copyrights
Also I wont forget
remind me k?

from what I understand it fell right in the Meh-sosphere

Ok so that pun was pretty good
*pets Woofy

So, I just finished marathon/binge watching Magica Madoka (all episodes) and the Rebellion movie.

I should not have watched the movie. FML.

another one bites the dust!

cajunator

Banned
As far as I know, it's in line with Funimation's regular prices. The limited edition is more expensive, but doesn't have a soundtrack, I think. It's not the whole series though, just the first season. Second season isn't up for preorder yet, as far as I know.

It's not really that expensive though, unless we are entering an age when even Funimation releases are considered too expensive. Are buyers waiting for the industry to crash again, to try and grab their favorite titles for a few dollars each?
:p

The prices arent too crazy. Remember that older boxsets used to be lower quality DVD and spread out over 5 or 6 or 7 or even 8 volumes, each costing 25-30$. It was actually more expensive. Much more. Mostly you just got pencil boards, postcards, and a chipboard artbox.

Aniplex is doing pretty well with their business strategies thus far. The change to putting 2-cour series in BD singles (if possible, see Magi for an example of when they can't) was a good move to increase profit with a small increase of costs. While there's some demand for titles that have sub-only DVDs on BD, there's not enough to justify a release like Valvrave. If that sold very well, we could see more of those types of releases for mid-range titles (mid-range meaning in popularity between your Servant x Service and Kill la Kill).

Aniplex's strategy is to ensure they get a good profit from each unit sold and to maximize that for the title in particular. It's working well for them and I'm sure their streaming numbers from Crunchy/Hulu/Netflix are doing well too.

Aniplex has actually not been too ridiculous. The only thing is DVD only releases. Those can go to hell. I wont buy them unless there is absolutely no other option.

Or Riding Bean because everyone needs to watch that ~chu

I second this OVA. Especially if you love Gunsmith Cats. and who doesnt?

Mecha

The main difference is pace, the hunter arc is tighter and more brisk in the 2011 adaptation. The first 30 episodes of the first anime are 21 in the 2011 adoption. One episode can be explained because the 2011 tells the Kaito part later, but the other 8 is just slower pace and a bit of filler, as the manga was running around that time and they couldn't run a lot.

Of course the original anime doesn't reach the part of the Chime Ant arc, I suppose the pace would be the same there...

The original anime has a lot of content that isn't canon, watching it after getting into HxH was annoying.

I like her. Looks like Koko Kaga except maybe not as batshit crazy.
But then again her batshit craziness made her amazing.

Yes its my new word! *hugs it and copyrights
Also I wont forget
remind me k?

Oh, you said Koko Kaga <3

You have a link to some fun ones or you want to send it to me on Twitter later?

cajunator

Banned
I pretty like this Disappearance of Yuki Nagato anime design.

I like the sketches but will it lose something when colored? Probably.

Having trouble deciding what to watch next: Tsuritama, .hack//Sign, or Uchouten Kazoku. Any suggestions?

Tsuritama definitely.

Liked the movie though. Not that I hated the show....just liked it in spite of the bird.

Same. Dera can go away.

the superior the animation folks :T

/edit okay this band being really shitty is excellent. If the game had more of this this scene would've been better

/edit Wow I don't know how I ever noticed that Kugimiya's voice can be really annoying lol. Maybe I just expect my Rise to be Laura Bailey too much

Rie's voice can be pretty grating. Im not fond of her Shana character and it made me despise tsunderes a little bit before I came to my senses.

How is Frozen...

Forget it.

Japan is absolutely infatuated with Frozen. they are even making an Elsa nendoroid, which I ordered.

javac

Memories is a wonderful animation compilation. A lot of people make fun of Stink Bombn but it was hilarious. Magnetic rose is of course the one most narratively heavy and the main attraction of the compilation and Satoshi Kon worked on it so naturally its excellent.

Yeah I really enjoyed Stink Bomb, couldn't stop laughing the whole way through. It felt like the perfect supplement to Magnetic Rose. Amazing animation, fun character designs and some epic scenes littered throughout. It has a great soundtrack too, the main track from Skink Bomb (Nobuo's Groove) is just awesome :D

I just noticed that MAL has a mobile site now, that's new right?

javac

A bit off topic I guess, but on the discussion of Frozen, I love Disney and Pixar films, but you wouldn't think so when I say that I haven't seen one properly in the last 10 years or so. Coincidently that lines up with when I started high school. Figures. On the plus side, I have a great backlog! I love Toy Story but never saw the 3rd one, UP, Ratatouille etc. The Incredibles, Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo are some of my favourite films :)

I guess I ended up telling myself that I'd rather just accumulate a nice Blu-ray backlog and watch them then. I always say to myself that I'd go to watch them when they come out, but I cba going to see a Disney film alone lol.

cajunator

Banned
A bit off topic I guess, but on the discussion of Frozen, I love Disney and Pixar films, but you wouldn't think so when I say that I haven't seen one properly in the last 10 years or so. Coincidently that lines up with when I started high school. Figures. On the plus side, I have a great backlog! I love Toy Story but never saw the 3rd one, UP, Ratatouille etc. The Incredibles, Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo are some of my favourite films :)

I guess I ended up telling myself that I'd rather just accumulate a nice Blu-ray backlog and watch them then. I always say to myself that I'd go to watch them when they come out, but I cba going to see a Disney film alone lol.

Be sure to see Bolt too!
chu~

javac

Be sure to see Bolt too!
chu~
Huh, I'll be honest I kind of forgot about that film, if you say it's good I'll be sure to give it a go! :)

Ratatouille is the best of the Pixar films. Watch it!
Will do! I hear that a lot, so I really look forward to it.

I guess over the last decade, Ghibli have been my go to for family friendly animated goodness, I need to catch up on the western stuff.

Speaking of Ghibli, still haven't watched my The Wind Rises Blu-ray. I was super excited when the film was announced, kept up with the films production, pre-ordered the limited edition Blu-ray...just never got around to watching it. Very excited. Good things come to those who wait I guess.

cajunator

Banned
Huh, I'll be honest I kind of forgot about that film, if you say it's good I'll be sure to give it a go! :)

Will do! I hear that a lot, so I really look forward to it.

I guess over the last decade, Ghibli have been my go to for family friendly animated goodness, I need to catch up on the western stuff.

Speaking of Ghibli, still haven't watched my The Wind Rises Blu-ray. I was super excited when the film was announced, kept up with the films production, pre-ordered the limited edition Blu-ray...just never got around to watching it. Very excited. Good things come to those who wait I guess.

I think of Bolt as the beginning of Disney animation's turnaround.
chu~

phaze

Flowers of Evil 11-13 END
00117715jfw.png

And they lived happily ever after.

Somehow I don't think thats quite the result Nakamura's father had in mind when
he invited Kasuga to his house. And neither did I. After the confrontation in the rain where he admitted to being empty and not as special as he imagined himself to be, I kinda figured he'd start on his path to redemption.
Well judging by that S2 teaser, this is clearly not happening. RIP

Throughout the duration of the Flowers of Evil, I was baffled by the behaviour of some of the characters and after finishing the show, I remain puzzled.
Saeki's infatuation with Kasuga feels more unnatural and forced than anything in Nisekoi. Maybe the manga explains it somehow further down the line but as it is, I couldn't buy it all. Second thing that irked me was total lack of resentment of Nakamura on Kasuga's part. She tortured him for the first half of the story but after their classroom stunt they suddenly become best friends. No matter how cathartic that moment was for the both of them, the sudden, subsequent 180 turn in their relationship rubbed me the wrong way.
I suppose I just don't get these people. The show ended in a fairly logical place to leave things hanging but given that tease of future events (talk about pouring that salt into the wounds), one gets the impression those 13 episodes were more of a prologue and the meat of the story begins now.

Flowers of Evil has a real knack for creating a dense, tense atmosphere. I never suspected a series about a bunch of ordinary (hmmm) high schoolers could be this suffocating but Aku no Hana manages it with ease. And I must say that I've grown to really like the rotoscoping. Sure it does have its drawbacks (dunno whether they're inherent to the method or just something that was fumbled here) &#8211; the lack of facial detail in the long shots and its gradual, disturbing pop up + some lip synch/movement issues but with its realistic character models (duh) and naturalistic movement and detail, it brought much more to the game than it took out. I've no idea how financially draining it is compared to the traditional animation but I wouldn't mind more shows being done this way. I'll take it over CG any time. Combined with the immense amount of Pablo background porn and stellar direction, it manages to create a very good looking and visually distinctive series.

Bonus points for amazing opening and ending songs.

Anyhow really good if heavy show. Can't wait for Season 2 which undoubtedly is just around the nearest corner !

Toy Story 3 is legit and seeing as you saw its previous iterations, it's an obligatory watch. :)

javac

Flowers of Evil 11-13 END
Glad that you enjoyed it, its probably one of my favorite shows. Like you said, the real meat begins here, and my brother who has read the manga said that the second half is the best part, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the first half was amazingly well done here. I loved the art style and character designs and the way in which the episodes were structured kept you at the edge of your seat, no matter what was happening on screen. Really tense and emotional. Moments had me audibly gasp, and I loved every second of it.

I do wonder if a second season is being made however? Did the show even do well?

Toy Story 3 is legit and seeing as you saw its previous iterations, it's an obligatory watch. :)

Yeah I need to get onto it, it's been a long time coming :)

VRMN

I do wonder if a second season is being made however? Did the show even do well?

Unfortunately, I hear it bombed fantastically and that a second season is probably never going to happen. I started reading the manga recently; I miss the rotoscoping style; the manga doesn't look like that at all. It's not bad, it's just different. More typical, I guess.

Still creepy, unnerving, and generally an incredible experience. Need to get back to it.

Clov

So, Funimation announced their May releases. Of interest is both seasons of Puchimas, coming to DVD as an exclusive on their web store, I think. Both seasons of Darker Than Black make their way to the 'Anime Classics' line on BD, with Bubblegum Crisis 2040 joining the same line on DVD. Meanwhile, Michiko & Hatchin gets tossed in the SAVE line on BD.

There's also another .Hack anime and something called Solty Rei. That's about it.

javac

Unfortunately, I hear it bombed fantastically and that a second season is probably never going to happen. I started reading the manga recently; I miss the rotoscoping style; the manga doesn't look like that at all. It's not bad, it's just different. More typical, I guess.

Still creepy, unnerving, and generally an incredible experience. Need to get back to it.

Doesn't surprise me, massive shame but was to be expected :(. That's why I'm planning to just buy the manga and forgo any hopes of the anime finishing. I'm very happy with the way it turned out in any case and I'm glad I watched it. Agree with you 100% on the art, my brother who read the manga obviously has the opposite to say about the art for the show (which he has yet to watch), but that's to be expected :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom