• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Thanks for the reply as always, I have in fact just seen Millennium Actress coincidentally, and it's probably one of my favorite animated films of all time. I've actually owned the Blu-ray for some time as well as the DVD so I thought that I'd finally watch it. Couldn't stop crying, beautiful film :)

Excellent to hear. I agree with you about it being a favorite. Surely my favorite anime movie and even one of my favorite movies in any medium. It is beautiful on a profound level. The music is just...sublime.

Yes, but that merchandise is often things like CDs (which I like, very much), or fashion accessories and cards for the arcade game. Nendoroids are collectors' items, and are usually of late night anime. For a kids' anime like PriPara to get them is seen as a sign that it's made a strong impression, and I like that.

Hmm thats true. Not everything has the honor of a nedoroid. Maybe its a good sign for the show.

What's with nosebleeds in anime?

This has been going on forever. The first time I was really made aware of it was the 90's OVA Plastic Little, which had an infamous ten minute fanservice bath scene before such things were that common. It was clever because the boys peeping in were outside the ship and the nosebleed blood attracted sharks.

Thats something. Followed.

Millennium Actress
A profoundly strange and yet touching movie. It sets up the life story of an actress named Chiyoko by framing it through an interview when she is old. The story told then takes an extremely dream like quality, melding her various roles and her situation in life and transitioning one situation to completely disparate scenarios out of nowhere. I know it's a weird comparison to make, but in a way it makes me feel like Inception didn't go far enough with its dream like qualities, this movie with a more mundane premise goes much farther with it. While at first taken aback, it all makes coherent sense and you pretty much know what the allegories are. The ending is bittersweet as it gets revealed that she never fulfills her promise from her early days, nor was it physically possible to do so, but at the same time she lived a life worth living. Overall, a great movie that feels like it melds dream and life together.

Seeing this just makes me so happy. This movie really showed that anime can truly be art and Satoshi Kon used a wonderful canvas. I miss his work so much.
I am posting Chiyokos theme again just in case it gets more people to watch this movie.
This theme is gorgeous and speaks to me on some profound level I cant really explain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_N5gL6zUc

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic | 1-8

This surprised me quite alot. I didn't think much of it when I started the first episode but it completely sucked me in. For starters the arabic setting feels very fresh, since I haven't actually been exposed to it much. And the soundtrack feels pretty spot on.
The show so far has a done a good balance between the serious harsh reality and comedic scenes. Exploring magical dungeons and the fantasy elements in general also appeals to me very much.

Characters is perhaps the main selling point. They're all interesting in their own way and their stories that has been told so far has been interesting. For example the charismatic Sinbad was only introduced in the previous episode, but he is already one of my favorites.
With the range from Alibaba, Sinbad and Morgiana - some with their troubled upbringings, the show offers a very broad and colorful range of characters. While I can't quite yet determine who my favorite is, I'm leaning towards Morgiana. Her rising from being a mind-broken slave to the bad ass she currently is was very pleasant to watch (also good looord those legs). I have high hopes for this show, based on what I've seen so far.

Morgiana dropkicks sabretooth tigers. I dont think this can be stated enough how amazing she is. If nothing else about this show stands out, just always remember that it has a girl that kicks tigers in the face because she doesnt give a shit.

:(
Maybe one day! Never give up hoping!

Yes, Daxel also announced a new machine.

Prism Nana Ace

I cant help but feel like this might someday make it into an anime. Perhaps after the pachinko machines have had a decent run. How popular is this machine?

Log Horizon S2 Ep. 20

SuhOoRo.jpg
JJEzRyR.jpg

Nyanta's fight with PH was sure interesting, but not so much for what their plans are of the nature of living in the world they live in, but how he approached Trudy who is not an adventure but a very powerful Person of the Land. This of course means that unlike his fights with adventurers due to the fact that his winning would be of course he's actually killing someone. There were moment there I wasn't quite sure if he was completely willing to go through with killing her, but Kazuhiko's words at the end seem to suggest that he very much would have killed her to stop her plans. Luckily Kazuhiko saved them both, he prevented her from possibly dying and Nyanta from possibly having to kill someone.

Tuck

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic | 1-8

This surprised me quite alot. I didn't think much of it when I started the first episode but it completely sucked me in. For starters the arabic setting feels very fresh, since I haven't actually been exposed to it much. And the soundtrack feels pretty spot on.
The show so far has a done a good balance between the serious harsh reality and comedic scenes. Exploring magical dungeons and the fantasy elements in general also appeals to me very much.

Characters is perhaps the main selling point. They're all interesting in their own way and their stories that has been told so far has been interesting. For example the charismatic Sinbad was only introduced in the previous episode, but he is already one of my favorites.
With the range from Alibaba, Sinbad and Morgiana - some with their troubled upbringings, the show offers a very broad and colorful range of characters. While I can't quite yet determine who my favorite is, I'm leaning towards Morgiana. Her rising from being a mind-broken slave to the bad ass she currently is was very pleasant to watch (also good looord those legs). I have high hopes for this show, based on what I've seen so far.

I loved this show. The pacing at first was pretty rushed - apparently people who read the manga weren't fond of much of season 1, but I thought after a few episodes it settles down and things start happening at a better pace. Season 2 is much better. Very eager for a third season, but it will probably be a while.

Hunter x Hunter - 68

Thank god he's back. Honestly so far this Greed Island has been somewhat of a snore, especially coming off Yorknew.
I don't find all this card business interesting, and Gon x Killua's training is something I got enough off in Heaven's Arena. Hopefully it'll be more fun now when the interesting character(s) seems to return.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Guess I should check out HxH at some point.

Caught up on Ace of Diamond. Shame the series is ending in a month. Hope they get around to doing more down the road.

cajunator

Banned
Hunter x Hunter - 68

Thank god he's back. Honestly so far this Greed Island has been somewhat of a snore, especially coming off Yorknew.
I don't find all this card business interesting, and Gon x Killua's training is something I got enough off in Heaven's Arena. Hopefully it'll be more fun now when the interesting character(s) seems to return.

what in the hell is going on with that dudes shoulder? Or all the anatomy in general?

Tuck

I thought Greed Island was pretty good. Had some interesting ideas and character growth. Certainly no Yorknew, but it was still fun.

Spoiler:
Enjoyed it once more after the twist of it not actually taking place in a virtual world, as I thought that was pretty dumb.

I thought Greed Island was pretty good. Had some interesting ideas and character growth. Certainly no Yorknew, but it was still fun.

Spoiler:
Enjoyed it once more after the twist of it not actually taking place in a virtual world, as I thought that was pretty dumb.

Yeah I honestly don't see why Greed Island has this reputation for being one of the series' worst Arcs, I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Chimera Ant was pretty much the exact opposite response from me, the arc that most fans (that I've come across) defend to high heaven as being the epitome of the series and one I just find to be a complete drag.

Yorknew/Spiders > All

Yeah I honestly don't see why Greed Island has this reputation for being one of the series' worst Arcs, I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Chimera Ant was pretty much the exact opposite response from me, the arc that most fans (that I've come across) defend to high heaven as being the epitome of the series and one I just find to be a complete drag.

Yorknew/Spiders > All

It's because the climax to the arc was all worth it.
Gon's and Netero's fights pretty much satisfied me to all extents that the slow buildup was easily forgiven.

The cat one is bad but she isn't even the worst one.

The CC cast is totally uneven, for every Anatasia or Mika there is a generic character with a random moe trait.

Most of the cast fits under that description, the cat girl is just actively annoying instead of dull and generic like the rest.

It's too bad Cinderella Girls isn't a more focused show (without the bloated, purposeless cast) similar to what we got in its two good episodes (1 and 7).

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Yuusibu complete

I actually finished a series and for once I enjoyed it for the most part. Characters were fun too.

Fino's evil laugh got me every single time.

Raul grew as a character and I loved every second of it.

Only issue I had was how rushed the ending felt. It just seemed so pushed in all of a sudden, but overall I enjoyed it!

I can feel good about anime again yay!

Midonin

Katanagatari 07

The outlines for the art style got a little thicker this time around. And the ghosts haunting Nanami looked even more like traditional Japanese art than the series already does. If the fight with Hari was figuratively kept in the dark from us, then this fight was literally kept in the dark. All these complex problems with simple solutions... but the body count is steadily rising. No ninjas died this week, but several dozens of characters were offed in the first few minutes... and a few in a cheeky video game homage. Shichika's questioning his mission more and more, as am I. This is certainly turning into a Nisio Isin series, spinning its simple concepts into something more complex. That's what I came here for, so it's delivering.

cajunator

Banned
Yuusibu complete

I actually finished a series and for once I enjoyed it for the most part. Characters were fun too.

Fino's evil laugh got me every single time.

Raul grew as a character and I loved every second of it.

Only issue I had was how rushed the ending felt. It just seemed so pushed in all of a sudden, but overall I enjoyed it!

I can feel good about anime again yay!

Yuusibu was really fun. Have you watched Maou sama? Its kind of similar.
Fino is ridiculously cute.

Midonin

Dog Days'' 07

Cute episode, mostly showing Leaf around the kingdoms. The kid's got potential. And even better, it looks like all of this was leading up to what looks like a full-length flashback episode about Pastillage's backstory next week. Adel's one of my favorite members of the cast, but she hasn't gotten much to do this season. And it'd be bad if I didn't mention that Wakamoto's General Godwin appeared and got several substantial speaking parts this week.

Midonin

Rolling Girls 07

As much as I emphasize character over everything, I'm starting to see what this series is really trying to do. It's a travelogue through a Japan influenced by prefectural stereotypes and Americana. The stones are merely a device to let us experience this world. After comic conventions and racing, now we come to a land of rock. And it's pretty cool. I can see myself getting invested in this arc, and more in the show itself. So every episode doesn't deliver on action, but, like Katanagatari, not every episode needs to. There's more to a show than action scenes. And in this case, the main characters are the cities - the people are the heart and soul of said cities, but these larger than life landscapes are the focus themselves, I think.

phaze

Fuck, GTO and Boogiepop at the same time?! Two amazing shows, both in my top 5 :D Glad you're watching Boogiepop and I look forward to reading your impressions on them :)

Boogiepop is too grim, I need something lighter to mantain the balance. :p

Katanagatari 07

The outlines for the art style got a little thicker this time around. And the ghosts haunting Nanami looked even more like traditional Japanese art than the series already does. If the fight with Hari was figurative kept in the dark from us, then this fight was literally kept in the dark. All these complex problems with simple solutions... but the body count is steadily rising. No ninjas died this week, but several dozens of characters were offed in the first few minutes... and a few in a cheeky video game homage. Shichika's questioning his mission more and more, as am I. This is certainly turning into a Nisio Isin series, spinning its simple concepts into something more complex. That's what I came here for, so it's delivering.

I've been enjoying your impressions, Katanagiri is something I've had my eyes on for a long time and plan to get to eventually.

Aldnoah.Zero 19

A mere mention of Inaho is enough to make Slaine abandon his courting attempt. He's going to pull a Kariya soon.

Beefeater

Banned
I've been enjoying your impressions, Katanagiri is something I've had my eyes on for a long time and plan to get to eventually.

Can I dissuade you? Well, you'll know by the first episode if you're going to enjoy it, so whatever. Let's just say it's not one of nisiOisin's stronger works, and the low budget, blandly directed adaptation by White Fox does nothing to improve it. Sorry to be a joykill.

Great Teacher Onizuka 03

The reaction faces in this show are pretty great.

GTO accustoms himself to his new cozy abode in the storage room has his sleep interrupted by underwear thief, illegal coitus and a suicidal attempt. All in the good night's work. And his new delinquent class issues a pretty kinky declaration of war.

Boogiepop Phantom 02

This show has a more dreary palette of colours than even Texhnolyze or Ergo Proxy. This episode focus on a different character which I imagine will continue to be the case in future. Pretty similar idea as in the Hitagi arc of Bake but here with spiders, where shielding yourself from regrets and bad memories means also parting with the cherished ones. The titular phantom showed up yet again at the end of the episode, to crank up the mindfuck levels even more.

Didn't realize you had started GTO, I'll start on my shows tomorrow. Remind me the order of watch you recommended?

phaze

Can I dissuade you? Well, you'll know by the first episode if you're going to enjoy it, so whatever. Let's just say it's not one of nisiOisin's stronger works, and the low budget, blandly directed adaptation by White Fox does nothing to improve it. Sorry to be a joykill.

Lies, I've seen one 5 second gif and it looked great.

But on a serious note, even if it's as bad as you say, I want to at least check out a Nisio title that isn't Monogatari

Didn't realize you had started GTO, I'll start on my shows tomorrow. Remind me the order of watch you recommended?

Serial Experiments Lain--> Shigurui--->Texhnolyze

But it doesn't really matter. Tackle it anyway you want to. Lain is a bit different than the other two so it might serve as a nice buffer in the middle.

Anastasia isn't a generic character with "foreign" being her moe trait?

no

Most of the cast fits under that description, the cat girl is just actively annoying instead of dull and generic like the rest.

It's too bad Cinderella Girls isn't a more focused show (without the bloated, purposeless cast) similar to what we got in its two good episodes (1 and 7).

I would argue that the best characters in CG are better than the original cast. But CG suffers from not being designed with a cast in mind but as online games where you can pick your favourite girls and ignore whoever you don't like.

Anastasia isn't a generic character with "foreign" being her moe trait?
so moe
G7GhI1h.gif

Lies, I've seen one 5 second gif and it looked great.

But on a serious note, even if it's as bad as you say, I want to at least check out a Nisio title that isn't Monogatari

Serial Experiments Lain--> Shigurui--->Texhnolyze

But it doesn't really matter. Tackle it anyway you want to. Lain is a bit different than the other two so it might serve as a nice buffer in the middle.

I'll watch it like this. I know for a fact that Texhnolyze definitely needs to be at the end or I'd have to take a break before watching the other two lol. I'll start tomorrow or tonight, depending on when I get home.

faridmon

Add to me to the camp that never liked Greed Island arc. Although there were meaty character progression and somewhat great tactical battles, it was hampered by the fact that it was in a
virtual world with card battling system and a dumb premise in the first place
I really did like the villain though. He was menacing!

Jex

Hunter x Hunter - 68

Greed Island is a terribly boring, run of the mill shounen arc with two cool fights (volleyball and final fight). It really doesn't help that it comes right after the amazing Yorknew Arc and right before the much more creative (but far too long) Chimera Ant Arc.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Rolling☆Girls Episode 7:

I am so bored right now. Girls, you wanna know why you want to become Bests, because then you might actually be interesting, dropped so very hard and this disappointment of the year thus far.

Rolling☆Girls Episode 7:

I am so bored right now. Girls, you wanna know why you want to become Bests, because then you might actually be interesting, dropped so very hard and this disappointment of the year thus far.

Please someone come in and tell me that Rolling Girls is good past the first 2 eps
I heard great things/saw cool gifs of it at first then everyone is talking about how downhill this show is going

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Please someone come in and tell me that Rolling Girls is good past the first 2 eps
I heard great things/saw cool gifs of it at first then everyone is talking about how downhill this show is going

That's all its good for, gifs. The story never get interesting, I am on episode 7, still waiting for a reason this show exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom