• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross Ange 20

Embryo is like some metaphysical rapist. Like he doesn't even need to touch you.

Tusk continues to be awful
why couldn't HildaXAnge be canon ;_;

Can't wait to see Lizardia snap Not!Nunnally's neck

On Tournaments

I just wanted to drop a few thoughts on Tournament Arcs in general. I know that they generally have a bad reputation and that's not undeserved. Rather than writing a story where characters travel from location to location with some goals and fight bad guys along the way you simply toss out all the work of actually creating a story and just have an endless series of fights in one location. Moreover, in a tournament you know that the main good guys will have to fight the main bad guys in the final round and so every other round should be completely tension free as you know the outcome in advance.

Now there are a number of reasons why The Dark Tournament isn't a boring series of pointless fights against scrubs until the 'main event':

- Firstly, the aforementioned production values really help. While Shinbo's episodes stand head and shoulders above the rest on a whole the fights look pretty decent throughout.

- The pacing is certainly a god send. Each individual round will generally be two episodes at the most and sometimes they'll be far shorter than that.

- Most fights have an interesting and unique gimmick both from the hero character and the opposing fighter. This is important to stop us from getting bored of the action.

- There are things going on besides the main fights e.g. Yusuke's training.

- The tournament is heavily weighed against the heroes. In other words, the tournament is actively trying to screw the main heroes. I know people can find this plot device annoying but it is extremely useful. Most people have a clear sense of what is just and unjust so when the heroes are treated unfairly it makes the audience more sympathetic to their cause. In addition it's another source of tension.

- The composition of the hero team varies wildly depending on their circumstances. Sometimes they'll fight as 5 against 5, other times they'll only have 3 or less available to bring to the fight because of outside reasons. This adds more tension to each individual round.

- For the most part, the fights are tense. You actually don't know for sure which members of the hero team will triumph over which competitor because many fights are fairly close. Crucially, sometimes the heroes will lose a round so you can't be sure they'll just streamroll the whole thing. Theoretically some of them could even die although considering the nature of this show I always considered that impossible.

- The characterisation of the other fighters is surprisingly robust. Considering how little time some of them get I feel they all look and feel sufficiently different from each other to make them stand out as defined characters who could theoretically exist outside this structure.

- With regards to the last two points, Gundam Build Fighters Try could really learn a thing or three from YYH. Every single fight feels like our main team vs faceless goods who we know they're eventually going to be beat with some kind of super-robot move. The opponents feel flat and boring. Heck, you just need to go back to Gundam Build Fighters to see a near-perfect representation of a classic tournament arc.

You described exactly what makes a good tournament arc and why they're so popular. Plenty of series have no problem checking off all or most of those boxes. Flame of Recca, Shaman King, to a lesser extent Law of Ueki and MAR; they're not immediately bad just by virtue of being tournament arcs.

Of course many ARE bad, which is just sturgeon's law taking effect because so many shounen series utilize them. Doesn't mean excellent ones don't exist or that it's not a perfectly viable means of advancing the story.

It really sucks that The Lego Movie wasn't nominated (seriously, just why, that was a great movie -_-) but hey, Big Hero 6 was all right, and I didn't see anything else on that list of nominations, so I'm okay with this.

The Academy Awards are for red-blooded American* films. None of this Chinese crap!

But seriously, I've got to feel bad for GKIDS. They've been sending out these excited e-mails about their two Oscar nominations (Kaguya and Song of the Sea), and they both got snubbed. Injustice in action.

Thoraxes

Absolute Duo - 07

efmh7If.jpg

Glad the second best girl returned.

World Break - 07

CHIAKI OMIGAWA

cajunator

Banned
Unlike the girls, the plot never got rolling

BAD DOG NO BISCUITS

I love that theme. Thanks for posting it!

Youre welcome. Its one of my favorite pieces of music of any kind. So hauntingly beautiful.

Sorry for the late reply, I agree 100%. It's probably my favourite anime film I've seen, but I still think Perfect Blue is the better film, but a lot harder to digest for many, naturally with the content it has. It goes without saying that both are amazing films. I agree with you on the soundtrack too! Both the tracks Run and Rotation from Millennium Actress are amazing.

It really is a beautiful film, one that pulls you in from that start and enchants you with its beautiful story about enjoying life to its fullest and holding on to those precious memories. As they say, its better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Ha, I've never felt that when watching something to be honest, I guess I kind of enjoy darker stuff overall. No doubt I've seen things that have made me sick and depressed in anime, but I've never had the need to counterbalance it, even with Texhnolyze. I guess it stems from me only watching a single show at any given time. If it works for you, that's great obviously! :)

Perfect blue is a great movie but Millennium Actress just seems on a different level. IT didnt use shock value or disturbing themes to tell its story. It wasnt too dark, though it was certainly sad enough to be a tearjerker. To each their own, and really, with Satoshi Kon you cant lose anyway no matter what film you pick.

What if I told you I was also excited for Fractals, [C], Galilei donna, Real Drive and Umineko no Naku Koro ni...

Do you still think I am not a curese?

What are the next shows you are hyped for?

Thoraxes

How did useless girl do this episode? I half expect her to be useless and/or get wrecked in the love department.

You talking about the huge-chested, shy girl? She's starting to find her resolve because she wants to protect her duo partner like Tor does Julie and stop being dead weight.

Still on the harem losing side, but she wants to take part in the Tor-bowl. She keeps getting blocked by the rest of his harem.

You talking about the huge-chested, shy girl? She's starting to find her resolve because she wants to protect her duo partner like Tor does Julie and stop being dead weight.

Still on the harem losing side, but she wants to take part in the Tor-bowl. She keeps getting blocked by the rest of his harem.

Can her official name be Cleveland Browns-chan?

Tuck

Dog Days Episode 6
Ok this is good. Things are getting interesting. The characters are starting to fill out (Well, the main character is still pretty lousy but everyone else is likeable enough). Ending scene has got me pumped. No fan service this episode.

Certainly, the show would be better if Sink wasn't so generic, if the characters were a tad older, if the designs weren't so over done for some of the characters and if it had no fan service.

BUT despite all that, I'm really enjoying it.

Thoraxes

Absolute Duo - 08

That feel when you wake up and two naked girls are clinging to you.

Also that was the best dogeza.

Watching all the people getting taken out by an army with guns is always funny in any anime because of how tactless it always comes off as.

I almost feel like rooting for Miyabi to win the Tor-bowl.

cajunator

Banned
Durarara x2 7

Interesting but holy shit, the animation was terrible. Some parts of the episode was literally slideshows and jumping between frames. Considering sales of this season, I can see it getting worse if later seasons get lower budget.

I just watched the first episode of DRRR finally. Its interesting Ill give it that. Celty is a fascinating character, whatever she is.

Can I watch Gatchaman Crowds without having seen any of the previous Gatchaman series? I wanted to watch this one because of Kenji Nakamura's involvement.

Yes you can. As long as you can tolerate a REALLY genki character (I love Hajime) then you should be good.

Rolling Girls 6

Awesome episode. I just love how ridiculous everything is.

But why did Chiaya turn into an octopus tho

I love this show. Its a solid fantasy adventure with a great cast of characters.

Yona is a pleasant surprise I have to say. I was interested in it to begin with but I didnt expect it to be so dark! Especially since it has those lighter comedic moments and SD/chibi style sometimes. Its actually kind of distracting.

Hyouka - 6

Chitanda gets mad in math class and isn't really sure why, but she is curious as to why her math teacher would get their lesson plan wrong. Why? I don't know, her curiosity is bordering on neurotic.

This was the first episode that didn't really set my world on fire. It was adequately directed, but what was actually there felt so bare bones and irrelevant that it felt hard to care. Can't really think of much else to say!

that episode bored me to death but the show does get more interesting in the later episodes. Some of the so called mysteries were just insipid and the show suffers from unimaginative writing. however it is a show based on the strengths of the characters more so a lot of people overlook its faults.

Log Horizon 20

Alright I hate using my phone to type but I just gotta comment about Nyanta getting hit with the Worf effect hard this episode smh. Wasn't he levels ahead of the girl?

Oh, and on Aldnoah, if Inaho still NTRs Slaine after all this I will laugh myself dead.
And I'm sick of Princesses in wheelchairs

Baalzebup

I was thinking about the mercenary-like setup of Arzenal in Cross Ange and then thought about Area 88 and promptly started to watch that again, cuz it's good and stuff.

Do you guys know of other titles with similar setups? Main character(s) being stuck in some kind of a warbase, earning money in combat and just.. trying to survive the hellhole they've ended up in. I don't care if it is the same as in Area 88 where they are actively trying to get out of there or just burning through life because they have no other place to be.

Yona is a pleasant surprise I have to say. I was interested in it to begin with but I didnt expect it to be so dark! Especially since it has those lighter comedic moments and SD/chibi style sometimes. Its actually kind of distracting.

Yeah it does the frequent mood whiplashes which can ruin scenes sometimes. What surprised me was how bloody and violent the action was, for a shoujo series.

Conan-san

The oscars, a scathing parody, By Craig "ConanThe3rd" McLeod;

[Dr Weird Theme]

GENTLEMEN, I BRING YOU,

eX7efEtm.jpg

MORE OSCARS!

rEmDfTAm.jpg

Well, gee, I dunno, man, I mean after last time,,,

eX7efEtm.jpg

THIS TIME, SHALL BE DIFFERENT, MUHAHAHAHAHA

rEmDfTAm.jpg

Alright, I do sorta trust the voting committee this time...

UmGOqnl.jpg

IT'S NOT DIFFRENT AT ALL, IS IT STEVE?! MUHAHAHAHAHA!

LegatoB

Log Horizon 20

Alright I hate using my phone to type but I just gotta comment about Nyanta getting hit with the Worf effect hard this episode smh. Wasn't he levels ahead of the girl?
I don't think it's quite a Worfing.
Nyanta was, at least initially, pulling his punches because he didn't want to risk killing her. He doesn't seem comfortable with killing people who can't respawn, and I think he was taken aback that a Person of the Land was trying to start a war with the Adventurers.

Jex

I mean, there was no way that some obscure anime was going to get an Oscar. Sorry! It was never going to happen and those responses highlight why.

Spirited Away won way back when but that seems to be a product of Disney using it's expertise to heavily lean on the judges.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The oscars, a scathing parody, By Craig "ConanThe3rd" McLeod;

[Dr Weird Theme]

GENTLEMEN, I BRING YOU,

eX7efEtm.jpg

MORE OSCARS!

rEmDfTAm.jpg

Well, gee, I dunno, man, I mean after last time,,,

eX7efEtm.jpg

THIS TIME, SHALL BE DIFFERENT, MUHAHAHAHAHA

rEmDfTAm.jpg

Alright, I do sorta trust the voting committee this time...

UmGOqnl.jpg

IT'S NOT DIFFRENT AT ALL, IS IT STEVE?! MUHAHAHAHAHA!

MY NAME IS....

You've killed me.

Theonik

The Academy Awards are for red-blooded American* films. None of this Chinese crap!

But seriously, I've got to feel bad for GKIDS. They've been sending out these excited e-mails about their two Oscar nominations (Kaguya and Song of the Sea), and they both got snubbed. Injustice in action.
See, the academy voters are so completely out of touch with the market it's hilarious. So blaming it on hot blooded Americans is unfair.
The problem here is GKIDS really needs to stick their ass out more figuratively speaking. These people will NOT watch animated films period and when they do they are things their children want to see so either they abstain, or vote something they enjoyed with them. When releasing something like Kaguya or indeed Spirited Away, to get it to win the Oscar you have to pour an enormous amount of effort to convince these people to watch them.
Disney is an a very strong position here too because they employ these people so when Disney says 'We invite you to watch this fucking film' they feel uncomfortable refusing.
That and the 'My son wanted to see this' means that Disney basically calls the shots in this category until these people literally die and hopefully a better culture takes root with younger members.

A lot of them were either "it was what the kids enjoyed" or "I abstain"

Whether the kids enjoyed it because I can't critically analyze a movie about cartoons is extremely silly.
That's the thing though. These people consider animated films to be a kid affair still. Some of them will not admit it lest it affects their gravitas but they will not watch them unless they are forced to either by their children or Disney telling them to see them or kiss their money goodbye.

Log Horizon 20

Oh, and on Aldnoah, if Inaho still NTRs Slaine after all this I will laugh myself dead.
And I'm sick of Princesses in wheelchairs

Level means nothing when :

-
you trully don't want to kill

-
you're against a set character with fixed stats ( think a boss in a regular rpg )

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 83:

Ah yes, it easy to forget in the world of today that the events of this episode were not common knowledge with even passing familiarity of the franchise. Indeed, this is the great expostional infodump that finally spells out once and for all the detailed history of Crystal Tokyo and its rulers, Neo Queen Serenity and King Endimyon. This also opens up one of those problematic scenarios when dealing with time manipulation, even without knowledge of future events, the Sailor Scouts must be triumphant or else there is no rise of Crystal Tokyo which in turn prevents the rise of The Black Moon Clan. They do try to handwave this inconvenient fact away by having Dimande mention that the Malfeic Black Crystal can manipulate time and space. This is true but it also forgets one of MAIN OBJECTIVES of the Black Moon Clan in regards to the past, to have the power fester at key points that will allow the Black Moon Clan to rise on Earth, to rise in place of the heroes. This plan was thwarted and now with the Scouts in the future then must win. At any rate, this episode was hit really hard by science marching on, as Planet Nemesis is less the tenth planet and more one of the many Dwarf Planets in that area of the Solar System. Anyway, once the information is disseminated we get have fun attempted rape with Prince Dimande as it turns out he is really into Sailor Moon no matter what the era and thankfully Tuxedo Mask saves the day by pulling powers out of his ass. Anyway, overarching plot holes aside this episode comes with highest recommendations as it is one of the most important episodes of Sailor Moon R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom