• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

Dubbing Magical Warfare but not Haikyuu!! is this years most baffling sentai move. American anime industry people seem to love making bad business decisions. I still wonder what they even do for most of the day even. First free! and yowapeda from discotek on dvd only, and now this Haikyuu!! and Magical Warfare, what next Food Wars as a digital only daisuki exclusive, Seraph as a direct to buy only type thing :( I weep.

Haikyu is a sports anime; of course it's not going to be dubbed. Typically, sports anime do terribly in North America. They're going to toss out a subbed release and be done with it.

As for Free!, it's very, very likely that it will get a BD release in the future. Maybe even from Discotek! Crunchyroll's deal with them right now only pertains to DVDs. However, they did say that depending on how the release goes, a dubbed BD release isn't out of the question. Lets be honest; with how popular Free! is, it's more than likely that it will get a BD release afterwards.

Mature

Looks like a tiny tiny bit of the new Lupin TV series was shown on NHK Close-up (via Catsuka, couple more shots of production stuff at the link).

tumblr_nkaua8kosi1rb1rgoo1_500.gif

Looks like Lupin! That might sound like a non-statement, but the same can't be said about the most recent entries in the series. I think we'd only seen the key visuals up until this point? I really like the classic done modern look of the characters. Also liking the look of the backgrounds. Sorta wondering if the Art Director is someone notable.

So, having just finished Digimon Tamers last week, I was left with the decision to continue onward to the seasons that I've never watched, or to stop where I did in my childhood. My decision? Continue onward, of course. But since I've never seen Digimon Frontier before nor have I done much research into it, I figured I'd try to do episodic impressions. So... here we go.

Digimon Frontier: 01

A bunch of children are guided by mysterious messages on their cell phones to get on mysterious trains to go to god knows where. Okay.

Seriously though, the first episode gave us a decent glimpse into what the show should be about and a little bit into the characters. Going a step up from Biomerge from Tamers, Frontier has the children actually transform into the Digimon. Kind of different, but I'll see how it goes. Of course, the Goggle Boy of the season is the first one to get their Spirit evolution, and makes quick work of the first baddy of the season.

For a first episode, I liked it. Cautiously optimistic.

Digimon frontier is not well loved ..but i liked it a lot . Story was fun , and the characters while not as fun as they could did do a good job with the plot . it's a great entry in the franchise.

Digimon frontier is not well loved ..but i liked it a lot . Story was fun , and the characters while not as fun as they could did do a good job with the plot . it's a great entry in the franchise.

I've never liked Frontier, although I'll probably be giving it a second chance when I get there in my marathon. I found the story and characters kind of boring, and I didn't like the spirit evolution thing. The one big plus it has going for it is that "FIRE!" is an excellent opening.

But maybe I'll feel different about it without it being saddled with the baggage of killing the franchise like it had circa 2003.

I've never liked Frontier, although I'll probably be giving it a second chance when I get there in my marathon. I found the story and characters kind of boring, and I didn't like the spirit evolution thing. The one big plus it has going for it is that "FIRE!" is an excellent opening.

But maybe I'll feel different about it without it being saddled with the baggage of killing the franchise like it had circa 2003.

Well i kinda understand your POV.
Frontier is a great entry because , IMO it moved things along well ..but it's far from being my favorite season..but i'm an odd one since i really dislike season 3

An "Anime x SEGA project" announcement is to come on March 21, there will be a Yuru Yuri Seiyuu attending: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/da...nime-x-sega-project-at-animejapan-2015/.85354

Hm, now what could this be? I mean, we just had Seha Girls.

Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu - 8-10

Okay, I'm enjoying this show so far. Honestly. I mean, I can get over the whole overuse of the theme song and the animation issues here and there. They're not things that destroy the show, just little gripes that I'm sure I'll get over once the show reaches a good payoff moment.

But there's one thing in particular that happened in episode 10 that's just darn hilarious. The main character; Daiya, is looking for his missing father, you see. It's another reason why he's aboard the Daiku Maryu ship.

But during the opening, there's a close-up view of the captain of Daiku Maryu as the words "You'll be able to hear your father's voice" play during the song. That and the captain of the Daiku Maryu wears a mask.

So yeah, kind of dropping a few hints there.

But then this little moment in episode 10 shows up:

WELL GEE. WHO COULD THE CAPTAIN OF THE DAIKU MARYU POSSIBLY BE UNDER THAT MASK?!? I SURE HAVEN'T THE SLIGHTEST CLUE!

At this rate, I'm half expecting him to not be his father due to this being an attempt to fake me out or something with all these answers hints they're dropping here.

Nafe

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy

When first discovering the anime threads on NeoGaf, one of the things I liked about it was finding out about some earlier or more obscure anime I didn't know of. Hitokage was maybe this threads biggest contributor to talking about magical girl shows and trying to make people aware of some perhaps more unknown shows he thought people should take a look at.

One of those was Magical Girl Pretty Sammy. It's a magical girl spin-off of the show Tenchi Muyo! which I had heard of but still haven't seen as of yet. That's okay though as Pretty Sammy stands perfectly fine on its own and the references are more of a bonus to those already familiar with the other work.

There exists a 3 episode OVA version which seems to almost act as a pilot or test for the 26 episode TV version. I had seen the OVA version earlier and just recently finished the TV version. It's interesting seeing how the characters change, such as Mihoshi and Kiyone working at Sasami's families CD shop in the OVAs and then Mihoshi being Sasami's teacher at school with Kiyone teaching the next door classroom. In the OVA Sasami's father isn't present but he's there in the TV series and has a fairly big enough role. He's also a really energetic character set up as sort of a "Gary Stu" type where he supposedly worked as an actor, was part of a SWAT team as well as working at NASA for example.

The show was released in the mid-nineties and seems reminiscent of similar shows of the times such as Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura and what I've seen or heard of Doremi. This show has very funny reaction/silly faces in spades. It's also done in a way that's very self-aware of the tropes and cliches of the genre and plays with them. Sometimes almost to the point of parody. The show does have some serious moments but with the lead-up or general execution of them they feel earned and not overly contrived or melodramatic as other series.

Now having watched the show I can agree with Hitokage that it's a very well made and entertaining show that has shot up the ranks as a favorite of the magical girl genre for me. If you're a fan of the genre, or a fan of Tenchi Muyo! and are curious about a magical girl spin-off, or even just want an all around self-aware fun show to watch, then I really recommend giving the show a look.

Even with the effort I've put into this post though, I know most will probably ignore it or ultimately probably not end up watching the show, so I'll just post this little image to maybe entice some like Narag and Zach. ;p

RDSQK81.jpg

It has mofu!
Also probably one of the few mascots across the magical girl genre that I don't think Hitokage hated for whatever that's worth.

Yona of the Dawn 20

uvhDWIh.png

Man Ao is so damn cute. I'm a sucker for the cute mascot characters.

Yona's growth is great to see. Nice wall bang there by Hak too. Dude makes some "final villain" faces sometimes though.

I dont think we will see the 4th dragon this season. Hope theres another one, I'm really enjoying this show.

Even with the effort I've put into this post though, I know most will probably ignore it or ultimately probably not end up watching the show, so I'll just post this little image to maybe entice some like Narag and Zach. ;p

RDSQK81.jpg

It has mofu!
Also probably one of the few mascots across the magical girl genre that I don't think Hitokage hated for whatever that's worth.
Cute but not the mofu I'm generally interested in!

RDSQK81.jpg

It has mofu!

Ryo-ohki is one of the best "pet" in anime, and pretty sammy is an awesome magical girl show that i can rewatch endlessly .

KanameYuuki

Digimon Frontier gets some hate but I loved the world, lore and the idea about the chosen kids being actually the ones who evolve, but yeah, the characters weren't really likeable at all, OP is boss too.

I'm in the EP8 of Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! I'm really enjoining it
(lttp as always, even with anime)
, It's funny, cute and when it takes on mature themes it does it pretty well, but once again I hate animes based on light novels because I know I won't be able to continue with the story, It makes me want to learn Japanese so much, I should try to learn it but just the idea of another alphabet makes my head spin.

John Blade

Don't want to go crazy but after the few days let it sink a bit I have to say the movie is okay. I am not too fond on the plot story of the movie as they're few questions unanswered or don't explain well when watching the movie (whether I miss it when watching or not). I do love the music and the animation is quite good for that time and even now. Still, I won't recommend this movie to any anime fan unless they have at least watch the TV series and the OVA to get a good idea.

For me, the movie have potential but the story (or the plot when you think about it) kinda pull it back a bit. It isn't a bad Anime movie. Hell, it's still a fun movie to watch but unless you're a fan of Ah My Goddess, it won't be easy to recommend it to people.

For people who is a fan of Ah My Goddess!, do you think they should make the 3rd season of the show or it's just too expensive to make it now and start doing those short video when they release a certain point of the manga (which I only read 3 volumes). Kinda want to see where they can take the show but might disappointed fans.....

Minor Edit: Also, watching Witch Hunter Robin right now.....man, this show remind me of Noir in some way. Not too detail crazy like Noir in the plot but the same feel with pacing and not telling you the full story till later on the show. Anyone know what other show the director have made after this?

More like the only good part.
Oav 1 & 2 are good.
This is not up to debate.

Gxp is a fun comedy
This is up to debate

Don't want to go crazy but after the few days let it sink a bit I have to say the movie is okay. I am not too fond on the plot story of the movie as they're few questions unanswered or don't explain well when watching the movie (whether I miss it when watching or not). I do love the music and the animation is quite good for that time and even now. Still, I won't recommend this movie to any anime fan unless they have at least watch the TV series and the OVA to get a good idea.

For me, the movie have potential but the story (or the plot when you think about it) kinda pull it back a bit. It isn't a bad Anime movie. Hell, it's still a fun movie to watch but unless you're a fan of Ah My Goddess, it won't be easy to recommend it to people.

For people who is a fan of Ah My Goddess!, do you think they should make the 3rd season of the show or it's just too expensive to make it now and start doing those short video when they release a certain point of the manga (which I only read 3 volumes). Kinda want to see where they can take the show but might disappointed fans.....

Minor Edit: Also, watching Witch Hunter Robin right now.....man, this show remind me of Noir in some way. Not too detail crazy like Noir in the plot but the same feel with pacing and not telling you the full story till later on the show. Anyone know what other show the director have made after this?

As a ah my godess fan , i think they could make a third season of the show , but it's not required. I would love it to death if they do it as well as the first 2 seasons of the Tv anime did.

cajunator

Banned
Digimon Frontier gets some hate but I loved the world, lore and the idea about the chosen kids being actually the ones who evolve, but yeah, the characters weren't really likeable at all, OP is boss too.

I'm in the EP8 of Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! I'm really enjoining it
(lttp as always, even with anime)
, It's funny, cute and when it takes on mature themes it does it pretty well, but once again I hate animes based on light novels because I know I won't be able to continue with the story, It makes me want to learn Japanese so much, I should try to learn it but just the idea of another alphabet makes my head spin.

Papa kiki is an adorable show. Surprisingly good.
but how does a little girl have that damned much hair?

John Blade

As a ah my godess fan , i think they could make a third season of the show , but it's not required. I would love it to death if they do it as well as the first 2 seasons of the Tv anime did.

Will most likely watch it if they did and hope it somehow get release in North America so I can own it. What you think of the TV series. I like season 1 a bit more than season 2 mostly because on Belldandy personality. For some reason, season 2, she get too emotional to the point you feel like Keiichi have to keep telling her he still love her almost every time. I understand they want to show Belldandy her weak side to show she is like human but it kinda ruin her other side as a strong person and make her as someone who need someone to tell her they love her every day.

Still, love both season in they own way.

Will most likely watch it if they did and hope it somehow get release in North America so I can own it. What you think of the TV series. I like season 1 a bit more than season 2 mostly because on Belldandy personality. For some reason, season 2, she get too emotional to the point you feel like Keiichi have to keep telling her he still love her almost every time. I understand they want to show Belldandy her weak side to show she is like human but it kinda ruin her other side as a strong person and make her as someone who need someone to tell her they love her every day.

Still, love both season in they own way.

I think it's because season 2 is where we had more people in the cast and there was the need to try to shake things up a bit. Season 1 is one of discovery, season 2 was one where they tried to keep people from getting bored with the inevitable status quo.
Heck that's why they made that filler ending to season 2.

John Blade

I think it's because season 2 is where we had more people arriving and there was the need to try to shake things up a bit. Season 1 is one of discovery, season 2 was one wherethey tried to keep people from getting bored with the inevitable status quo.

Well...they did with few stuff throw in to test how Belldandy react with Keiichi. I wonder if they did made season 3, where will they take this show to?

Well...they did with few stuff throw in to test how Belldandy react with Keiichi. I wonder if they did made season 3, where will they take this show to?

Just like the manga did , with less focus on keiichi and belldandy and more on the side characters.
Throw in some problem between heaven and hell that can only be solved by the power of "someone with a pure heart" and you're in ..the specials ( released after the tv anime ) did cover some parts of the mangas , but there is still plenty of material to cover, regarding keiichi old classmates, his parents , the weird relationship between urd, skuld and belldandy or even skuld adventures with "that kid" or the mad scientist .. there is plenty of material left

pgtl_10

I just saw Assassination Classroom. I'm not sure how new it is. All I know is that it is most original anime I've seen. You would think the show is created by Seth McFarlane or Matt Groening. It's has a lot a depth and you feel for each character as the teacher is not only their enemy but shows them hope.

Narag

Armored Trooper VOTOMS 9

So there's honor among thieves after all. Anyhow the highlight of this ep was the character animation really. The Anipages VOTOMS article had talked about this and it was something I was looking forward to checking out on this rewatch of this series.

Anime R founder Moriyasu Taniguchi acted as the sakkan on all of the Anime R episodes: 2, 9, 14, 22, 29, 33, 39, 46, and 52.

The remarkable thing is how much Taniguchi's drawings stand out. His episodes are one of the classic examples of how a good sakkan can elevate the quality of an episode. His drawings look very different from the original designs by series designer Norio Shioyama, but the funny thing is, they look better. Taniguchi actually upstaged the character designer. His drawings have a much more sharp and refined look in terms of the facial features, and he even invests his character animation with more subtelty and nuance than the other episodes. The characters look and behave in a more convincing way in Taniguchi's episodes than in any of the others. In many of the other episodes, the characters are quite badly drawn, and their acting and expressions don't match what is happening in the script. It's only under Taniguchi's hand that the characters come alive and become more expressive in a way appropriate to the given situation.

Next episode is titled "Red Shoulder" too!
e8SOmEc.gif

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Samurai Flamenco 1-4

Finally some catch up on my list of backlog. So far the show is fun and every episodes feel fresh. Will likely to finish this.

Concerning Digimon Frontier...

I simply couldn't stand the characters themselves evolving and becoming Digimon. After all, the relationship between Digimon and their human partners were always a strong point in that franchise. Of course I understand that they wanna mix the mechanics up a little to make it interesting a bunch of seasons in, I just so happened to really dislike this particular aspect, especially so when the characters aren't that great either.

@ above
I recommend rescaling images like that to 50% of their size as well as putting them into quotes here.

So, I've gone 2 weeks without Parasyte. Could cave in and watch 3 episodes today but I think I'm just gonna hold off. As expected, after taking a break it's actually really easy to just hold out entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom