• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aria 12

O2OQ8ph.jpg

Akari sure experience a lot of interesting things.

Even
time travel
thanks to cats. There's some familiar looking kids as well... Hm... Guess they must be relatives of the people Akari know?

TheRancor

Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu - 12-13

Man oh man I wish this show had better production values.

BECAUSE OH MY GOODNESS THAT FIGHT IN EPISODE 13 WAS AWESOME.

Freakin' FAAAAACE OPEEEEEEEEENN!

Then SHINRYU HYDRO BLAAAAAAZAAAAARRR!

I'm not even mad about the whole theme song playing all the time anymore, that moment was the kind of Super Robot finisher I wanted from this show.

So it looks like the Captain of the Daiku Maryu, Garis, isn't Daiya's father after all. If they didn't foreshadow it so heavily, I probably would have been more surprised at that. Oh well. At least I'm a bit more intrigued on where his father could be now.
You might want to check this out after you've finished the show if you're interested in any way about the animation.

https://vanishingtrooper.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/a-look-at-gaiking-lodm/

Those episodes were when I started actually looking forward to the next episodes of that show. Future battles won't be quite as dynamic as 13 again, but the art won't be so off either.

Well, I'm definitely hooked on this show now because of episode 13. That episode really gave me the sense of excitement that I wanted from Gaiking when I saw the opening.

There's really no need (e.g. no financial reason) to make additional Ah My Goddess! anime material. I wouldn't imagine that there'd be any more made in the future.

Is that a good show? I remember hearing a lot about Ah My Goddess but the premise sounds like your everyday harem anime (what with goddess girls moving in with one guy and the like).

I also remember checking out the first few episodes a long time ago and it not really appealing to me back then. How is the show as a whole?

Like, I'm not expecting something among the likes of TTGL or anything, but considering how popular I remember that show being, is it at least fairly decent?

You might want to check this out after you've finished the show if you're interested in any way about the animation.

https://vanishingtrooper.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/a-look-at-gaiking-lodm/

I read a little bit of it and it looks interesting. I'll check out the whole thing once I finish the show. Thanks!

Jex

Is that a good show? I remember hearing a lot about Ah My Goddess but the premise sounds like your everyday harem anime (what with goddess girls moving in with one guy and the like).

I also remember checking out the first few episodes a long time ago and it not really appealing to me back then. How is the show as a whole?

Like, I'm not expecting something among the likes of TTGL or anything, but considering how popular I remember that show being, is it at least fairly decent?
I've seen the whole thing and basically it's extremely low-key and non-offensive. Not something you really need to seek out.

The most unusual thing I can say about the anime is that the opening to season 2 features Belldandy playing bagpipes for some unknown reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqvo0HpBzyk

It is your everyday harem show, but as harem shows go its hijinks are fairly pleasant. It's enjoyable if you're in the mood for that sort of thing, but if you didn't like the first few episodes it doesn't dramatically change from there.

Kancolle - 08

Yamato is pretty great, I like her already. Best outfit, best cannons. I'm finding Kongou's thrown in english funnier the more I hear it. Nagatos softer side was nice to see. But where dem evil gurls at

Well, I'm definitely hooked on this show now because of episode 13. That episode really gave me the sense of excitement that I wanted from Gaiking when I saw the opening.

I read a little bit of it and it looks interesting. I'll check out the whole thing once I finish the show. Thanks!

If you don't hate harem shows , you'll like it , as it's a franchise that kinda posed the good bases of the genre.
It's more a comedy than harem.

Crocodile

Looks like a tiny tiny bit of the new Lupin TV series was shown on NHK Close-up (via Catsuka, couple more shots of production stuff at the link).

tumblr_nkaua8kosi1rb1rgoo1_500.gif

Looks like Lupin! That might sound like a non-statement, but the same can't be said about the most recent entries in the series. I think we'd only seen the key visuals up until this point? I really like the classic done modern look of the characters. Also liking the look of the backgrounds. Sorta wondering if the Art Director is someone notable.

Looking good - I appreciate the classic approach. More Lupin is love <3<3<3. I just hopes this gets simulcast.

[Yu Yu Hakusho] - 73

ijbanj.gif

<3<3<3<3

Jex

[Yu Yu Hakusho] - 74

This may be where I have to part way with the series for a while, but ending on a Shinbo episode seems like the right decision. All the classic Shinbo-isms are present in this episode and I welcome their return. From the amazing colour and lighting work which give characters their distinct 'Shinbo' look:

to his ability to create scenes with a real depth and sense of space (sometimes resulting in really abstracted backgrounds):

to his unusual camera poisonings:

As always, the influences of Osamu Dezaki (in this case the classic 'postcard memory' stand out against Shinbo's other stylistic techniques:

and lets not forget his frequent use of background animation:

hdyubb.gif

As with all his other work on the show Shinbo demonstrated how a talented and dedicated individual can create really stylish and beautiful work within the limitations of a genre as safe as 'shounen fighting'.

Of course, as we know from lots of other fighting shows, individual directors can really make their mark in really long form shows (e.g. Naruto, Bleach) but it really feels like for Yu Yu Hakusho Shinbo's episodes are the only ones that truly stand out against what is otherwise a fairly average (visually speaking) series.

Conan-san

Fairy Tail
(Everything up to the end of Tower of Heaven)

This has always been a series I've been meaning to get into but just didn't get around to due to various circumstances between life, money and Manga UK's dumb as a brick video conversion policies but it being on Netflix finally gave me the excuse I needed so I sat down and got to watching.

After the Tower of Heaven arc and with one more arc before I run out of Netflix episodes to watch, I'm really liking the show. It's animation is the very definition of "workman" (surprisingly so given that Satelight are want to not do that sort of thing) but it never up and out stinks and I really appreciate the small details (Erza not being able to cry out of her
Prosthetic eye
, all the dumb Grove Adventure Rave shout outs, that sort of stuff).

The comedy (Dumb fanservice crap besides) Is also great, I never knew that the one pit trap could be used in so many comedic ways. I also appreciate the writing between the threading of future arcs in the narrative and the actual themes in each arc.

In particular, I really appreciated the focus on the aesop being "Don't think sacrificing yourself is what anyone wants, you're only going to leave a trail of misery in your wake". Japanese media has always had a streak of over glorifying heroic self sacrifice for "The greater good" and, in recent years started make reincarnation a worrying trend in LNs so a pull back, albeit in a shonen series which is want to do some really dumb shit (If I don't see Taurus or Aquarius ever again it'd be too soon) is always something I'll praise.

And, heck, I just like being in the company of the guild itself. Having that many characters to juggle without having any bum notes (besides that one SOB you know will be a bad guy eventually) does take some skill.

I hope the rest comes to Netflix soon, really don't want to pay Manga anything for their bum discs.

Testament - 08

That episode title didn't live up to what I thought it'd be. But Maria's little shenanigans and her constant pushing creates some funny inappropriate situations. Which is probably the only other reason besides the obvious, why I'm watching this guilty pleasure.
Now with the other chick also taking on the contract I'm going to imagine it is about to be twice as lewd. That last scene better mean Zest time is coming up.

I've seen the whole thing and basically it's extremely low-key and non-offensive. Not something you really need to seek out.

The most unusual thing I can say about the anime is that the opening to season 2 features Belldandy playing bagpipes for some unknown reason:

It is your everyday harem show, but as harem shows go its hijinks are fairly pleasant. It's enjoyable if you're in the mood for that sort of thing, but if you didn't like the first few episodes it doesn't dramatically change from there.

If you don't hate harem shows , you'll like it , as it's a franchise that kinda posed the good bases of the genre.
It's more a comedy than harem.

Ah, I see. If it's really low key and pleasant, I might check it out completely one day. But not right now.

Wouldn't really fit with my schedule of watching Gaiking and Mushishi, haha.

Fairy Tail
(Everything up to the end of Tower of Heaven)

Ah, Fairy Tail. The show that used to be my favourite anime of all time before I watched TTGL.

Keep in mind though, the Fighting Festival arc I'd say is the last part where the show qualifies as good for many viewers. I mean, I personally enjoy the later seasons, but some things later on kind of really bring the show down for some people.

One of them being that the arcs are a lot longer (like more than 24 episodes).

That and the animation downgrades considerably as the show goes on.

That and you may not be satisfied with how the plot turns out during some of the later arcs.

The music however still remains to be one of my favourite OSTs in any anime, so there's always that.

All in all though, glad to hear you're enjoying it. The show is a kind of fantasy-shounen fun that I just can't seem to find in other fantasy anime. It's always a pleasure to watch for me.

Isn't Fairly Tale just One Piece Lite?

Probably. I only watched like, 28 episodes of One Piece and I can probably assume that everything in the arcs to come in that Shounen is better than Fairy Tail in every way.

Fairy Tail to me is just that fun little show I can go back to and just enjoy.

Not that I'd recommend it as a great show. It's not. It's just that one anime that holds a special place in my heart despite that. I'm sure we've all go those. :p

Gundam build fighter Try - 20

All things considered that wasn't a bad episode , but something felt off because the end result was done correctly but was kinda perdictable.

Still that final move was good. It's got my approval.

BUt this need to said :

I Still have some particles left !!!

Fairy Tail wishes it could even be 1/4 as good as One Piece.

Everyone wishes it could be as good as one piece ...
as one piece stand currently on top for god so many years.

Still Fairy tail has many good points , and one 2 arcs that are straight bad ( if you don't include the fillers episodes ) it's defintly watchable and enjoyable.

**Look at his Erza Scarlet figure i've got this month**

^^^Yep fairy tail is good enough

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There's really no need (e.g. no financial reason) to make additional Ah My Goddess! anime material. I wouldn't imagine that there'd be any more made in the future.

Well the manga actually ended and resolved the main storyline. That alone might not be a reason to animate it, but it does provide some sort of closure (and most of the end was actually a continuous storyline rather than standalone chapters).

Jex

Well the manga actually ended (with storyline!) and resolved the main storyline. That alone might not be a reason to animate it, but it does provide some sort of closure (and most of the end was actually a continuous storyline rather than standalone chapters).

In that case there'd be zero incentive to produce any more anime material.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
In that case there'd be zero incentive to produce any more anime material.

I mean, I enjoy AMG but I'm not exactly clamoring for that arc to get animated. Its not really necessary or anything beyond providing closure to what they already animated (years and years back, even). The only reason to do it is to finish the story, but its not like the ending is particularly unpredictable.

cajunator

Banned
Koimonogatari

coverynums.jpg

Kill la Kill Volume 4

cover46uj5.jpg

Its so good BEAR :)
One of these days I will unpack it all and take a pic of all of the stuff together. Its a whole lot of stuff. I am kind of addicted to Aniplex stuff, which is dangerous. THey package things like they actually care about the product.

Interest in release achieved!

:D
Dat Yaya

I find it funny that in Shirobako the CG girl has the least presence of the main 5 but makes the most money according to that salary chart iirc.

She is also the one who looks the mostl ike Makoto Kikuchi and is therefore the best!
Im sure Zachy agrees with me!

Hitokage certainly always recommended this work and one of these days I will have to get around to it. Right after Doremi...

I recommend it also. Watched it in anime club long ago but it was enjoyable.

I only know of one other shows with bagpipes in the OP and it was Scrapped Princess (musically)
There should be more of it. I love bagpipes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drI_l0Ee5k4

Quasar

Though I'd certainly love it, hell I'd love if we got all the OVAs made that follow on in the west. Especially now that the story is complete.

Really is a favourite of mine. Probably my favourite magical girlfriend genre show.

Angry Grimace

Well its a magical girlfriend show, not a harem show as far as I'm concerned.

There's no harem in AMG really. The fact that there's like one other girl that sort of likes K1 doesn't really make it into a harem, really.

So outside of Toonami and checking out the Ass Class simul dub I've watched no anime since like the last week of December. Guess I'll start to change that

Sailor Moon Crystal 14-16

Somehow this show feels even cheaper then I remember it, dunno if Toei is being even cheaper with the black moon arc then normal but damn even as someone who generally can let it slide these episodes have been down right ugly. I also fear the story is going to get repetitive for a bit until all the Scouts are captured before the plot moves forward again. The only reason I decided to catch up on this before something a lot better like Jojo or Log Horizon is because it's shorter and quicker to do so.

Narag

Gundam Build Fighters Try 20

So I've been listening to the Writing Excuses podcast a lot lately and one of the recent discussions was the problem of boring main characters and I immediately thought of this show. GBF Try kinda exemplifies this as while the main cast does interesting things with interesting people, they themselves really aren't all that interesting. The one thing they have going for them is, well, they're the protagonists. The side cast has consistently been more interesting and actually have some sort of motivation driving their actions. The Try Fighter team would just be some sort of scrub team that's just sort of there if the show was presented from the POV of another team and that just sort of highlights just how little they actually manage to drive the story forward.

Terraformars 13

So I guess season 2 of this will come after Stardust Crusaders finishes? Otherwise there was no reason to have that stinger at the end. I mean I guess they could be teasing more to come in the manga "go read that lol" but we knew that just from the context of the story not being over.

Pretty good episode to end the first season on, was pretty much just 20 minutes of actions which is something I can always appreciate. Guess I'll pick up the manga now

Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! Episode 8 - Love Wanders

Yufuin in such a role was funny. At first it seemed out of character but as it went on it soon really showed that their friendship was pretty deep and that he was really always this emotional. Friends breaking up and making up is one of my favorite plots and this was done well.

Stardust Crusaders S2 E2

Typical Jojo stuff, great episode

Stardust Crusaders S2 E3

LOL This was hilarious, the Oingo Boingo whatever CR's subs called them were hilarious at the ED was a masterpiece.

[Yu Yu Hakusho] - 73

ijbanj.gif

This will always stand out to me for this episode.

[Yu Yu Hakusho] - 74

This may be where I have to part way with the series for a while, but ending on a Shinbo episode seems like the right decision. All the classic Shinbo-isms are present in this episode and I welcome their return. From the amazing colour and lighting work which give characters their distinct 'Shinbo' look:

to his ability to create scenes with a real depth and sense of space (sometimes resulting in really abstracted backgrounds):

to his unusual camera poisonings:

As always, the influences of Osamu Dezaki (in this case the classic 'postcard memory' stand out against Shinbo's other stylistic techniques:

and lets not forget his frequent use of background animation:

hdyubb.gif

As with all his other work on the show Shinbo demonstrated how a talented and dedicated individual can create really stylish and beautiful work within the limitations of a genre as safe as 'shounen fighting'.

Of course, as we know from lots of other fighting shows, individual directors can really make their mark in really long form shows (e.g. Naruto, Bleach) but it really feels like for Yu Yu Hakusho Shinbo's episodes are the only ones that truly stand out against what is otherwise a fairly average (visually speaking) series.

To be honest, I feel like a lot of shows from that era in particular will generally look very average. Sometimes not even having "fluid" animation. So seeing stuff like this was an absolute pleasure when it actually happens. Other than that, seems like a case of Jexhius unable to finish a series.

Holy shit

A shame not every fight is like that as a bare minimum, but that's asking for the moon.

I don't remember the show having Sakuga of any kind (Then again it's been almost a decade since I watched it)

Amazingly enough, I'm surprised there was some. Otherwise, you'd have lighting and camera angles already detailed in Jexhius's post.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gunbuster 01:
I'm not quite convinced this isn't Ace no Nerae with robots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom