• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunter x Hunter - 111
pPnJ2LI.jpg
2IzSWhb.jpg

Jesus christ how horrifying
Chairman NTR and Grandpa Zoldyck(!!) came down the sky in a lightning dragon. Shit is about to hit the fan. I didn't think Netero was this fucking old, and that's some pretty extreme training, he looked pretty beast back then.
With this company of Hunters, this king has to be something truly extraordinary to even survive at this point. It's been a big buildup, don't deflate on me now with some petty escape!

I literally have no idea why Production Committees would fund these titles unless they just need a show to air in a slot they need to run ads in.

Parasyte is NTV cross-promotion similar to Gatchaman and My Love Story.
Level E was TV Tokyo trying new things in their historical Monday night anime slot.
Mirai Nikki was Kadokawa capitalizing too late on the property, but not quite realizing it's not something that would sell a lot. Also another Ito/Shiraishi example/failure.

Assassination Classroom Episode 2 Baseball Time (engDub)

Sugino got a good voice and starting to like Korosensei's voice. Maehara is good too and Terasaka continues to be my favorite voice for a character in the cast. Nagisa too.

Kaede though. Hope an s3 happens and they keep this voice actor.

Also moumoon hello shooting star is really good, hope they have other songs along this same type of sound.

Fairy Tail
(Everything up to the end of Tower of Heaven)

This has always been a series I've been meaning to get into but just didn't get around to due to various circumstances between life, money and Manga UK's dumb as a brick video conversion policies but it being on Netflix finally gave me the excuse I needed so I sat down and got to watching.

After the Tower of Heaven arc and with one more arc before I run out of Netflix episodes to watch, I'm really liking the show. It's animation is the very definition of "workman" (surprisingly so given that Satelight are want to not do that sort of thing) but it never up and out stinks and I really appreciate the small details (Erza not being able to cry out of her
Prosthetic eye
, all the dumb Grove Adventure Rave shout outs, that sort of stuff).

The comedy (Dumb fanservice crap besides) Is also great, I never knew that the one pit trap could be used in so many comedic ways. I also appreciate the writing between the threading of future arcs in the narrative and the actual themes in each arc.

In particular, I really appreciated the focus on the aesop being "Don't think sacrificing yourself is what anyone wants, you're only going to leave a trail of misery in your wake". Japanese media has always had a streak of over glorifying heroic self sacrifice for "The greater good" and, in recent years started make reincarnation a worrying trend in LNs so a pull back, albeit in a shonen series which is want to do some really dumb shit (If I don't see Taurus or Aquarius ever again it'd be too soon) is always something I'll praise.

And, heck, I just like being in the company of the guild itself. Having that many characters to juggle without having any bum notes (besides that one SOB you know will be a bad guy eventually) does take some skill.

I hope the rest comes to Netflix soon, really don't want to pay Manga anything for their bum discs.

I miss first series Fairy Tail, the new character designs in series two are at times done weirdly and look odd, but at least whoever handles choosing the songs for OPs and EDs is still doing a great job with nary a bad song.

Tower of Heaven and the Cursed Island arc were my favorite of series one. I was buying the series but stopped after Tower of Heaven, need to resume buying.

javac

Apparently Starz has sold the UK divisions of both Anchor Bay and Manga Entertainment to the managing director of both companies, Colin Lomax. homemediamagazine.com

Starz has sold Anchor Bay Entertainment and Manga Entertainment in the United Kingdom to the companies’ managing director, Colin Lomax.

Financial terms of the deals, which do not involve Anchor Bay Entertainment and Anchor Bay Home Entertainment in the United States, were not disclosed.

Lomax, who has run both U.K. companies since 2006, has been in the home entertainment business since 1985 and has held senior positions at VCI, Polygram/Universal, plus his own publishing business Maximum Entertainment prior to joining Anchor Bay.

“Anchor Bay and Manga are both strong labels with a fantastic trading history, and we are one of the U.K.’s leading independent distributors in home entertainment,” Lomax said in a statement. “We have a superb library of titles and a fantastic brand in Manga, which enjoyed its biggest year in 2014, and is the country’s leading Anime distributor.”

Hunter x Hunter - 116

Holy shit this episode was intense. Definitely up in the top of the show for me so far. It didn't take much either. A room with certain characters. No fighting. Just words and display.
The last few episodes have had a very bad pacing for me. It's been all over the place back and forth with what seem to be some questionable time dedicated to less interesting characters. So it felt good to just have this episode play out the way it did.
RimNc6X.gif

Midonin

Aikatsu! Akari Generation 122

That was a fun one-off episode, focusing on a student film that Akari and her friends made about Starlight Academy's idols being revealed as secret vampires - not just Yurika, all of them. Wish Miyabi could've participated, had she not left last week. Juri as the vampire hunter Julius was my favorite part of the whole thing, though Akari Sunshine summoning a giant arrow in a quasi magical girl fashion comes behind a close second. I think the OP will be changing next week as S3 goes into its second half.

cajunator

Banned
Just finished Neon Genesis Evangelion. Wtf....I don't know what to say at those last 2 episodes, show was doing very well until then lol.

Anyway what movies should I watch?

Hehehehee
Anno used to be insane. It was amazing. Watch End of Evangelion because he straight up trolled everybody. Its one of the most amazing things you will ever see in anime.
Also watch Millennium Actress, because its just damned great.

What's AnimeGAF's opinion on the Monogatari series of TV vs BD? Been doing some reading online and it seems that the BD releases have changed many things from their TV counterparts.

Currently I've finished with the first 12 episodes of Bakemonogatari depicted in the format of its TV release and in researching the next 3 episodes I discovered the differences of TV/BD versions. Does the BD improve the series despite its many changes (plus additions of a few scenes) or does are its changed convoluted?

Honestly I never really thought to compare them but disc versions of Shaft shows are typically improved, at least visually, from TV broadcast version.

Just started up Yozakura Quartet. So far this show reminds me of Rolling Girls, but a lot better.

YES

Hunter x Hunter - 116

Holy shit this episode was intense. Definitely up in the top of the show for me so far. It didn't take much either. A room with certain characters. No fighting. Just words and display.
The last few episodes have had a very bad pacing for me. It's been all over the place back and forth with what seem to be some questionable time dedicated to less interesting characters. So it felt good to just have this episode play out the way it did.

The arc in a nutshell.

The decision to heavily stretch out every moment of this final encounter between the two sides and add heavy narration to everything completely backfired, for me anyways. Apparently this battle is supposed to take place in a very short time frame and the idea is to make it cool by going super-detailed to show how much is at play or whatever other reasons.

It simply doesn't work for me and feels like the good old DBZ combat pacing bullshit. After all, it's not like the actual combat is interesting enough to sustain several episodes. Youpi's and Pouf's crap goes on forever and ever.

I also used to appreciat the narrator only stepping in at the intro and outro of the episodes and then we get this. Him narrating every single step was invasive and did little good for my immersion.

At least the actual story of the arc is pretty good and certain single episodes are fantastic. But man is the pacing dogshit.

javac

Not new news, but just in case anyone is interested, The Tale of The Princess Kaguya is showing in UK cinemas on March 20th and Republic of Ireland on March 27th with a showing in advance on the 6th of March at the Bradford International Film Summit. Anyone going to watch? Hope the Blu-ray comes out soon in the UK :)

Midonin

Shirobako 20

So the cast of Aerial Girls, in our world, is Hisako Kanemoto, Shizuka Itou, Manami Numakura, Yuri Yamaoka and Madoka Yonezawa. That's a pretty good selection, and looking at future video releases, we're likely to get an episode (the first episode?) of Aerial Girls as well in a few months. My wish is that both of them potentially get spinoffs into real series someday, and that respect for moe anime increases across the board, but the second one is a huge pipe dream. The question of "What do you want to do?" made for some interesting conversation, and I'm glad to see Midori working on creative writing exercises. I've done a few of those myself, they're pretty fun.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But seriously, what is up with the title for the second series of Tokyo Ghoul? Square root of A? What does even mean? Is this meant to be algebra, am I meant to conclude that A=4 so the square root of that is 2 therefore it's Tokyo Ghoul 2? Why am I being asked to do maths?

Durarara X2 5

At last, a Shizuo-based episode. We get acquainted with fedora-san who might be one of my favorite new characters from this season and a psycho loli who wants to kill him.

Just another day in the life of Shizuo Hewajima.

But seriously, what is up with the title for the second series of Tokyo Ghoul? Square root of A? What does even mean? Is this meant to be algebra, am I meant to conclude that A=4 so the square root of that is 2 therefore it's Tokyo Ghoul 2? Why am I being asked to do maths?

That's what I want to know as well.

Well at least now I know that the original draft written by the Author was long but was condensed in the anime.

Branduil

Shirobako 20

In this episode, Hiraoka exposes himself as a worthless GooberGater, Diesel-san thinks about coffee aliens, Yano is the terminator, nobody knows why they make anime, and Tarou almost gets murdered. Great episode.

PK Gaming

Shirobako 20

This episode pretty much hit all of the checks to my personal list of things I want to see in a Shirobako episode. It was entertaining and informative, with a dash of emotion and some heart for good measure. I'm very impressed with how Diesel turned out; she started out as a glorified extra, but she quickly developed into her own compelling character. Perhaps the best part scene involving her was when Hiroako chewed her out. It's really unfortunate when people handwave the hardwork of women because of their perceived assumption about their gender. While it's certainly true that she lucked in regards out with getting her job, Diesel IS a hard worker, and a damn good one at that.

On the flipside we have Hiraoka. I honestly really like this character, because up until now, we haven't a character who directly butt head with the other characters (Tarou technically did, but he's pretty much a joke character). Hiraoka is the perfect anti-thesis to the Musani workers; he's disrespectful, passionless, condescending, arrogant, abrasive and even a tad sexist too. And yet, he isn't just some throwaway douchebag like Tarou. He clearly has his own personal demons to deal with, and his abrasive behavior towards his coworkers is motivated by more than most would assume. That's not to say that his actions are excusable, but my biggest hope is that the show explores why he acts that way in the coming episodes.

All in all, I can say with certainty that this is my favorite Shirobako episode.

Tenumi

Banned
Digimon Frontier: 3

So Tomoki (Who I previously referred to as NotTakeru due to starting out as a carbon copy of Adventure's Takeru) earned his Spirit Evolution this episode, becoming a snow-bear-like Digimon. The episode helped build his character a bit, giving him a little shot of confidence instead of being a crybaby like the first two episodes.

Jex

Parasyte is NTV cross-promotion similar to Gatchaman and My Love Story.
Level E was TV Tokyo trying new things in their historical Monday night anime slot.
Mirai Nikki was Kadokawa capitalizing too late on the property, but not quite realizing it's not something that would sell a lot. Also another Ito/Shiraishi example/failure.

Interesting, thanks for that.

Serious

Just started up Yozakura Quartet. So far this show reminds me of Rolling Girls, but a lot better.

It's like a better version of Rolling Girls if you're the type that really liked the first two episodes, and only those episodes.

Personally, I'm really enjoying Rolling Girls, but could not get into Yozakura Quartet at all. The animation was nice, the sound direction was fantastic, but I could not get invested into almost any of it.

Jex

Not new news, but just in case anyone is interested, The Tale of The Princess Kaguya is showing in UK cinemas on March 20th and Republic of Ireland on March 27th with a showing in advance on the 6th of March at the Bradford International Film Summit. Anyone going to watch? Hope the Blu-ray comes out soon in the UK :)

I already own this on BD but I'd definitely watch it in the cinema.

Durarara X2 6

Where the great mystery of why males have nipples is revealed!

More seriously, the episode does a good job at building things up for the next episode and keeps up the pacing DRRR has had this season. Looking forward to the next episode.

phaze

Doesn't it just mean Root of Aogiri Tree ? You even had the said tree in the first ED. Deep !

Tokyo Ghoul Root 8

I think they changed some rather important details of the flashback to make Yoshimura look better then he did in manga. Can't say I was a fan of this arc in the source material but after rushing through like 58 chapters in 7 episodes, they can at least slow things down a to ~4 chapters per ep

Hey so I saw that GTO is on crunchyroll. I've heard good things about it, and have only been able to find low-quality fan translations of the manga up till now. The quality of the video they have isn't really that great though, in both sound and image. Is this the best version that's available? Has there been any blu-ray remaster or anything? Does another site (hulu, funimation, etc.) have any better source? I've only started the first episode so I'm not completely sure if that's indicative of the quality they have for the whole series.

Midonin

Saekano 07

I was expecting it to be the music girl, but Izumi's not too bad. Her brother, however... what a smug jerk.

April 19

For someone who's sick, Kaori's still got a lot of energy. The second cour has been on an upward trajectory in spite of that, so I hope it can wrap itself up nicely enough.

phaze

Hey so I saw that GTO is on crunchyroll. I've heard good things about it, and have only been able to find low-quality fan translations of the manga up till now. The quality of the video they have isn't really that great though, in both sound and image. Is this the best version that's available? Has there been any blu-ray remaster or anything? Does another site (hulu, funimation, etc.) have any better source? I've only started the first episode so I'm not completely sure if that's indicative of the quality they have for the whole series.

I'm only 5 episodes in but based on that and checking some future episodes - the quality seems to stay the same.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I normally wouldn't care about something like this, but Red Letter Media's freakout about The Order 1886's ending made me laugh when I got to the end of this week's Yuri Kuma episode. At least Yuri Kuma is a TV show and not a 60 dollar video game. lol

Jex

I normally wouldn't care about something like this, but Red Letter Media's freakout about The Order 1886's ending made me laugh when I got to the end of this week's Yuri Kuma episode. At least Yuri Kuma is a TV show and not a 60 dollar video game. lol

Expectations and all that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What does... Yuri Kuma have to do with The Order???

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Samurai Flamenco 15

I am starting to see the parody.

Samurai Flamenco 17

Yep, I see what they are trying to do lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Expectations and all that.
It was just funny to see what is basically the exact same ending. It's so old hat that I wouldn't have really found it noteworthy if not for the ending of The Order.

What does... Yuri Kuma have to do with The Order???
The dudes from RLM finished The Order live on stream yesterday and Rich had a fucking meltdown. It was one of the best things I've seen. lol

---

Move over Yamato 2199, here's the new Yamato!
3WFg5BJl.png

Also, the "half-I" face seems to be a new trend amongst the animators of moe now.
8EDBmfwl.png

javac

I already own this on BD but I'd definitely watch it in the cinema.

Yeah usually the UK gets the Ghibli Blu-rays earlier than the US, but since GKIDS distributed Kaguya and it also being nominated for an Oscar probably helped get it out there earlier. It still doesn't have a home release date yet in the UK, but I'm going to get it for sure. I may go to the cinema too with my brother if I get the chance, really excited to see it :)

Mushi-shi - 12

Dang, Ginko sure didn't have a pleasant past.

Poor guy sure doesn't have it easy. At least in Kino's Journey Kino travelled because she wanted to travel.

Ginko HAS to keep travelling because if he has a tendency to attract mushi.

That and the dude's always travelling alone too.

cajunator

Banned
Feel free to bet suggest something, I'll get to it after Shin Mazinger.

I'll try to think of something. Perhaps something nobody has really watched in animegaf in a long time.

tumblr_mxhu1lhYUZ1sq9yswo1_500.gif

Dude enjoy it. One of my favorite shows of recent years.

Ao is my twitter avatar and probably always will be. I never get tired of how cute she is!

So a season or two ago it looked like Funi was going to license Jinsei, but never did. Now they have it.

Hmm. I never watched this it kind of fell through the cracks. *adds to a very long backlist

It was just funny to see what is basically the exact same ending. It's so old hat that I wouldn't have really found it noteworthy if not for the ending of The Order.

The dudes from RLM finished The Order live on stream yesterday and Rich had a fucking meltdown. It was one of the best things I've seen. lol

---

Move over Yamato 2199, here's the new Yamato!
3WFg5BJl.png

Also, the "half-I" face seems to be a new trend amongst the animators of moe now.
8EDBmfwl.png

poutface is a powerful elixir. Dont underestimate it!!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Saekano is possibly the most infuriatingly disgusting anime I've seen since SAO. Every episode manages to encapsulate the worst of nerd culture in a new way that is worse than the previous episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom