• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shinmai maou no testament - 08

That succubus is trully the most important character of the show by how she manages to put everyone in the way she wants and everyone is aware of it.

And Yes ! Chocolate is a damn fine choice !

Hey anigaf I just wanted to figure out if this website was a reputable source for info.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-se...ters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html
particularly that article. If you don't want to click it's apparently what the oscar voters wrote for animated movie choice and one that stuck out to me was this.

So yea just wondering if this is some satire I don't get or made up stuff.
I'll remove the link if you guys want me to but yea. Just wondering if CartoonBrew is legit or not.

Dunno about the site but that voting thing has been passed around a lot the last week all over the place.

Shirobako 20

Goddamn what a fantastic episode. Hiraoka getting his shit pushed around made me so happy. About time someone said something to that clown. Its funny how Tarou is no longer the "bad guy" anymore, and I look forward to seeing him every episode. I burst into laughter when he just casually walked into the room smiling when the two guys were throwing shit all over the place. Yano stays being based too.

My favorite bits had to be with Diesal-san. Her impressions of people in the train were hilarious and well done. Loved how she acted out how two girls make up after a fight too, with the body gestures and all. Then theres the whole writers apprentice thing. I cant see anyone arguing that she doesn't deserve her job. She was doing professional level research for free beforehand and continues to work hard. I dont think Maitake-san will mind having such an adorable person as his student.

The ending bit with the Aerial girls was touching, even with the exaggerated YEE HAW MURICA girl piloting a plane.

John Blade

Well...I gotta to say, this is actually a decent show to watch from beginning to end even though it start very slow in the beginning and wasn't too interesting till after a third way in the series. The show kinda remind me a bit of Noir with the slow pacing which might put some people from watching the show at all.

For story line, it's been done before from other shows or movie. You follow a team of witch hunter who basically hunt down a witch. You follow one of the hunter a bit more name Robin who was new in the team. During the process you start to found out a bit more about the witch and why they're living in the world with the human. Unfortunately, something happened and Robin basically become a target and quickly got kick out from the team and basically fighting with the Witch which you found out they're not as bad as it look like. Eventually, the team join with Robin to go against the people who they suppose to fight with. Like I say before, nothing much to say in the story and kinda generic but the plot is where you start to get interesting. This is mostly when you start to found out more about the Witch history and also more about Robin secret past and the force she was working for.

Another thing I notice in the show is the dialogue from the characters isn't hard to follow. When the character is discussing about stuff in the show, it isn't too hard to follow and you have a good rough idea of what is happening or going to happened. This is actually a good thing as you want to grasp what the character is talking about so you can follow the story.

For character development, it's kinda a mix bag depend on who you follow. Most of the meat are coming at the main character in the show. For the secondary characters, quite a few are decent while some are two dimensional as not much have put on they development. The're two I can think of where they don't really develop too much but they're there in the show to keep the show moving.

Animation is really something you need to like as it's really grey and dull look. I guess, that's what the animator want to portrait which is fine for the show. Still, the tone make the show to have this real depressing look which might be a hit or miss depend of the audience who is watching it. For me, it's fine and look right for the show it's telling.

Still, the show is still fun to watch and get very interesting near the end. I don't know if I would recommend this show for most Anime audience mostly because it's more into story and character development than into action. For those who like character development and maybe super natural, would say to give the show a chance as it might be in they ally way.

Kinda wondering, is this show some sort a hidden gems? Kinda notice not many people talk about it even when it was release in North America around 2004 when it air here. I guess it's been too long when you think about it but you don't hear many people to watch the show.

Well, I am off right now and might start watching my next show which will be Divergence Eve and Misaki Chronicles. After that, I am going to watch one of the sad anime show which I will be watching sometime mid of next month.

jman2050

Shirobako 20

So this is what, the fifth or sixth week in a row where the previous "best episode" gets supplanted by the current one?

Rii got to shine in this episode (loved the bit with her in the train), everyone gets a chance to be introspective and figure out why they like working on anime, Hiraoka gets called out by the animator for his bullshit and might finally start shaping up for once, and Zuka wasn't in the episode again and seems doomed to lifetime of shitty jobs and voiceovers for corporate children's mascots lol.

Only four episodes left, it's gonna suck when this show ends.

Dropped saekano 2 weeks ago when i realised that nothing was going anywhere and when something was happenning it was forced beyond reasonnable parameters.

The main guy is flawed beyong repair and i can't forgive this show that ignore all the hardship you have when trying to make something

And I still maintain the record for fastest drop time on this turd.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
No Game, No Life - Complete

So I watched the first 7 episodes a few months back and then took a break from it until last night.

Have to say what started off as what I felt was terrible turned into a pretty enjoyable series. Only downside was all the loli stuff though.

Hope they make a second season.

faridmon

Well...I gotta to say, this is actually a decent show to watch from beginning to end even though it start very slow in the beginning and wasn't too interesting till after a third way in the series. The show kinda remind me a bit of Noir with the slow pacing which might put some people from watching the show at all.

For story line, it's been done before from other shows or movie. You follow a team of witch hunter who basically hunt down a witch. You follow one of the hunter a bit more name Robin who was new in the team. During the process you start to found out a bit more about the witch and why they're living in the world with the human. Unfortunately, something happened and Robin basically become a target and quickly got kick out from the team and basically fighting with the Witch which you found out they're not as bad as it look like. Eventually, the team join with Robin to go against the people who they suppose to fight with. Like I say before, nothing much to say in the story and kinda generic but the plot is where you start to get interesting. This is mostly when you start to found out more about the Witch history and also more about Robin secret past and the force she was working for.

Another thing I notice in the show is the dialogue from the characters isn't hard to follow. When the character is discussing about stuff in the show, it isn't too hard to follow and you have a good rough idea of what is happening or going to happened. This is actually a good thing as you want to grasp what the character is talking about so you can follow the story.

For character development, it's kinda a mix bag depend on who you follow. Most of the meat are coming at the main character in the show. For the secondary characters, quite a few are decent while some are two dimensional as not much have put on they development. The're two I can think of where they don't really develop too much but they're there in the show to keep the show moving.

Animation is really something you need to like as it's really grey and dull look. I guess, that's what the animator want to portrait which is fine for the show. Still, the tone make the show to have this real depressing look which might be a hit or miss depend of the audience who is watching it. For me, it's fine and look right for the show it's telling.

Still, the show is still fun to watch and get very interesting near the end. I don't know if I would recommend this show for most Anime audience mostly because it's more into story and character development than into action. For those who like character development and maybe super natural, would say to give the show a chance as it might be in they ally way.

Kinda wondering, is this show some sort a hidden gems? Kinda notice not many people talk about it even when it was release in North America around 2004 when it air here. I guess it's been too long when you think about it but you don't hear many people to watch the show.

Well, I am off right now and might start watching my next show which will be Divergence Eve and Misaki Chronicles. After that, I am going to watch one of the sad anime show which I will be watching sometime mid of next month.

Really loved it when I watched it looooong time ago.Really good main character and some good concepts makes it a real treat, there were some annoying part to it, but overall I would consider it a classic.

Shirobako 20:
Another really good episode. Hiraoka remains a little shit. It was gratifying seeing him getting told off in this episode. His attitude is completely ridiculous, and he seems a bit like the staff venting about bad experiences they've had, complete with him advocating for cutting corners everywhere and not caring about the quality of key animation.

Yano only had a few scenes in this episode, but her stopping the escape attempts of the episode director was a great bit, even when they did it twice. She just has such presence every time she's on the screen.

The 'reasons for fighting' theme that was at the heart of the episode played out very well, with the question existing on three levels (the story within a story of Aerial Girls, the question of why the characters are working in anime (which ties back in with Aoi's ongoing questions of her future), and the assignment that Maitake gave to Diesel). All of them tied together reasonably well, and without the show needing to constantly hit us over the head with the metaphors. There are no easy answers to be found to the question, either.

Of course, hanging over all of this is the specter of the author, via that asshole editor. I can easily see after all this that next episode he calls them up and says "funny story, the author doesn't approve of the script for the final episode".

Shirobako 20
tgR6H9F.jpg

6x8Ucn7.jpg
I still don't like Hiraoka, but he at least says one decent thing this episode. And, for once, Tarou's lack of tact seemed to calm things down after the fight. What with him being teamed up with Hiraoka will probably mean either disaster of the grandest scale, or Tarou's time to shine by calming him down.

And General Manager Okitsu once again proving she is truly the best.

Idolmaster Xenoglossia 02

This is already shattering everything I know about Idolmaster. Chihaya why?

Xenoglossia is a lose interpretation of someone who has played idolmaster 1 and got drunk .

Idolmaster 2 reboots the continuity and that's the universe you know ( and that's the universe everything else afterward is based on )

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
First PV for Bones show SHOW BY ROCK!!

Staff list's in the description but all I got is borked Google translate so I'll leave that to someone else.

It has animal-eared girls in bands, it sounds like another show targeted directly at me and I'll be looking forward to it.

Anime about rock band super battle? This is awesome.

Shirobako 20

Man, that hermit really hate his job. How many times he tried to escape in this episode!?
Hiraoka got fucking told. Dude a prick and being mean to Midori.
Lol at Tarou. He really can't read the situation. Oh man, a fight in workplace is freaking awkward. It remind me when a co-worker of mine almost fighting with each other because of DOTA match. Embarrassing
Kunogi x Ema doujin when?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Space dandy showed me what " ROCK TAMASHI" is all about already !

It's good, but not as hardcore as Kachou Oji/Black Heaven.
Fighting against Alien with the power of rock to power up the weapon.

Special mention to the opening. Some of the best rock opening i've seen opening song made by John Sykes.

So guys, am I the only one or was resident evil 4 heavily inspired by parasyte?

Seems pretty damn obvious to me. The level 1 plagas are 1to 1 copy of the basic head tentacle parasytes. Then the head munching level 2 plagas are very reminiscent of the parasyte that eats the head of its wife in the first episode. Not that that's a bad thing; RE4 was all the better for it.

Disclaimer: I've never actually read the Parasyte manga so it is possible that the anime aesthetics were inspired by RE4 insted.

phaze

Gundam Wing - 2

Don't watch this show subbed.
Gundam Wing 3-5

The dub is where it's at for this show.

Also those mech designs. So good.
Oh

RIP in pieces...

Pretty much how I'm going about it. I'm just watching it for the dub voices and the fights. I'm sure the story is at least somewhat decent nonetheless though if this is one of the more popular Gundams.
urs9jlggksg6.gif

Boogiepop Phantom 03-04
Man 03 really cranked up that horror vibe.

I've had my fears about the episodic nature of this show and so far they're not allayed. Thankfully, at least the cogs of an overarching story keep turning Pretty much every episode brings up some new facts to the light about the Boogiepop. Most of the time however, is spent on introducing a new character, their story and finishing it within their 20 minutes of fame. Only for them to disappear from the fray and be seen for mere moments in the other episodes if that. And like usual with these episodic shows I struggle to care about these characters and their fates.
I hope that Kirima Nagi will get a bit more time to shine soon, from her recurring appearances it seems like she's the only human with some grasp of just what the hell is going on in this story.

cajunator

Banned
Yes, it is. Especially when your video game is supposed to be an example of "good storytelling". lol

You should watch King of the Nerds then. :p

Are women still being anally probed or whatever that show seems to be about?

I have indeed watched King of the Nerds.

No Game, No Life - Complete

So I watched the first 7 episodes a few months back and then took a break from it until last night.

Have to say what started off as what I felt was terrible turned into a pretty enjoyable series. Only downside was all the loli stuff though.

Hope they make a second season.

Glad to see you enjoyed it! Its a really fun series and yes I do hope they continue it. they better!!
That last game was such an asspull but man it was fun seeing how they would win.

I don't know if this is a short or a full length series, but lovers of cute should look into Urawa no Usagi-chan for next season.

*preemptively squees

First PV for Bones show SHOW BY ROCK!!

Staff list's in the description but all I got is borked Google translate so I'll leave that to someone else.

It has animal-eared girls in bands, it sounds like another show targeted directly at me and I'll be looking forward to it.

THIS IS HUGELY RELEVANT TO MY INTERESTS.

Mendrox

Latest Absolute Duo Episode

One of the shows that I watch Thursdays with a friend. I LOVE To Love-Ru in every form, but this episode killed me inside. That was the most obvious and stupid fanservice without any payof (couldn't that cowtits girls just get shot or something like that? That would have turn around the episode!) BUT NOOO he just friendzones her.

Tits and asses everywhere (well they were drawn better than anything else in Absolute Duo). Now we have watched so many episodes that we cannot stop this anymore and have to watch this to the end like fucking Mahouka.

Were these students at the end killed? I hope so.

Maybe this show will joke about that and put more fanservice into the next episode.

Fucking Julie.

javac

Some new US Box-art:
Hayate the Combat Butler: Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Complete Collection (Season 3) $42.99
Release Date: 28th April 2015
Format [Region]: Blu-ray [A] / DVD [1]
Language: Japanese
oHcFqvf.jpg

Q5Fx1Pa.jpg

Extra:
  • Clean Opening Animations
  • Clean Closing Animations

Nobunaga the Fool - Collection 1 $49.99
Format [Region]: Blu-ray [A] / DVD [1]
Language: English & Japanese
xnGwEpi.jpg

GsWkpIc.jpg

Extra:

Saiyuki - Complete Collection (Seasons 1 & 2) $49.98
Format [Region]: DVD [1]
Language: English & Japanese
nMqS44d.jpg

q3YA5iY.jpg

Extra:

World Conquest Zvezda Plot - Complete Box Set $59.98
Release Date: April 28th
Format [Region]: DVD [1]
Language: Japanese
qLfH3gn.jpg

Disc Spec
  • Spoken Language: Japanese
  • Subtitles: English
  • Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Widescreen
  • Episodes: Episodes 1-12 & Episode 13 (OVA)
  • Number of Disc: 3 DVD Discs
  • Total Run Time: Approx. 325 min.
  • Rating: 13 UP
Bonus Contents
  • Textless Opening
  • Textless Ending
  • Episode 13 (OVA) Preview
  • Trailers and Commercials
Bonus Materials & Special Package
  • Collectable Special Pin-ups
  • Soft Box Cover and Mini Poster Illustrated by Kuroboshi Kouhaku (Original Character Design)
  • 2-Sided Reversible DVD Cover Illustrated by Keigo Sasaki (Character Design & Chief Animation Director)
*Bonus contents and materials subject to change.

SRP $74.98
Sales Price $59.98

Clov

That Hayate set looks like candy. SO pleasant. Is that a standalone series of it or do I need to watch the rest to understand it?

ALso Zvezda only being DVD is a freaking crime.

Seasons 3 and 4 assume that you have some knowledge of the characters already, so I wouldn't call it standalone. It's also the worst season, for sure. Hayate is best when it's trying to be as silly as possible.

Midonin

Katanagatari 10-12 + Final Thoughts

Animation quality isn't the be-all, end-all of things. To deny that it's not as visually interesting as Shaft would require some strong evidence, but in terms of themes, in terms of aesthetics, and in terms of ambition, I actually really, really enjoyed this one. It captured a lot of what I like about the Monogatari series, applying it to something that needs nearly as much cultural context, but is also easier to understand... in some ways.

Rinne's trickster god taking the form of
the only ones who ever defeated Shichika
was an interesting, introspective episode, and Togame coming to the conclusion that
the Deviant Blades are made with future technology a soothsayer read, because magic can't exist
was certainly unexpected, but I'll roll with it as far as explanations go.

While Shichika steamrolling a boss rush of shogunate warriors was certainly the kind of thing that gets the adrenaline pumping, it ultimately played into the final point of the series - that fighting and wars can ultimately cause more harm than good, and all it leaves is people dead. Some, like Konayuki, survived the series, but the body count only got higher as it went up. Knowing that all this was
a plan to overthrow the Shogun and that everything Togame did was fake
does jive with the first episode, and I think, in the end, that all it accomplished was the
destruction of the Deviant Blades
is the point... I have to wonder what this means for Shichika, though. Just as he was about to realize himself as a human being, the world takes away the one thing that was motivating him towards it. He's surely more of a human now than when he began, going on his
secondary quest with the Princess
, but is he more of a human than he was before
Togame died
? Or is that grief also part of what makes him a human, the part he was lacking?

The various ending themes, all appropriate for their episode, and the traditionally Japanese design of the series, made for something unique. Perhaps not the most memorable, but unique, and I'd say it's worth a watch. I denied myself watching it monthly as it first aired - I can only imagine what that would've been like - so seeing it over twelve days may dull some of the impact, or perhaps increase it as the themes become more apparent when viewed closer together.

The next show on my backlog has a lot in common. Motifs from a classical period of history. Sword duels. The pretense of being a play. Overthrowing the world. I'd say what it is, but I don't need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom