• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All the best girls are missing and we're left with boring old Haruka.
SSV25Ot.png

javac

Got my copy of Patlabor The New Files :)
Also, for people interested, apparently Katsuya Terada (Character designer) has been commissioned to do some exclusive art for the cover of the UK Space Dandy Season 2 Blu-ray.

Midonin

GARO -Seal of Flames- 20

Mendoza, still a force to be reckoned with behind the scenes. Who would've guessed that Leon's toughest opponent would be the one he thought he could trust the most? It does make sense in retrospect, but the stakes are really starting to go up here.

Garo - 20

What a bitch. I knew you were up to something, but to do that? And then blame others? That shit ain't cool. I don't know why German is acting the way he is, but if something happens to him I swear to god...
Besides the 'reveal', I didn't care much for this episode, which may be a first in this second half.

John Blade

Also, for people interested, apparently Katsuya Terada (Character designer) has been commissioned to do some exclusive art for the cover of the UK Space Dandy Season 2 Blu-ray.

Didn't notice but is they a reason why half of the show in the New Files have english dub while the rest you can watch it in Japanese dub with eng sub?

javac

Didn't notice but is they a reason why half of the show in the New Files have english dub while the rest you can watch it in Japanese dub with eng sub?

I think it has to do with the fact that the first four episodes are a conclusion to an arc in the previous series (Patlabor on Television) so only those four episode have a dub here, to continue the tradition of the TV series, whilst the rest of the New Files is sub only since it's pretty much standalone :) There should be an English sub/Japanese audio option for the first 4 episodes too.

Theonik

Really nice shelf!

jgminto

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 8

I already knew adapting the Alessi fight into two episodes wasn't going to work quite right. It also didn't help that the added scenes (
Jotaro and Polnareff checking the hotel room, Iggy seeing Joseph and Avdol
) were uninteresting. But once the fight itself got going it was a good mix of funny and creepy material.

javac

Really nice shelf!

Thanks :) The shelf in particular or the stuff on it? :p Getting a shelf was a pain in the butt! I originally got one but it was like 3 cm too tall and wouldn't fit where I wanted it, the luck I have. No idea how I found one that was a perfect fit! Happy with it overall :)

I just put my copy of Patlabor: The New Files in my region B PS3 and I'm surprised to say that it worked without any issues.

Midonin

Isuca 06/Unlimited Fafnir 08

Two episodes dealing with a tragic past in some way. While Sakuya has the more tragic of the two, I find Fafnir slightly more interesting to watch. Frill Crest, with her book loving nature, finally got my attention this episode. Also, Frill Crest is one of those anime names that you'd only see in anime.

DiGiKerot

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 8

I already knew adapting the Alessi fight into two episodes wasn't going to work quite right. It also didn't help that the added scenes (
Jotaro and Polnareff checking the hotel room, Iggy seeing Joseph and Avdol
) were uninteresting. But once the fight itself got going it was a good mix of funny and creepy material.

To be fair to the added scenes,
I laughed quite a bit at the fact that Jotaro's first instinct was to check the hotel rooms bathroom, given all the toilet-related trauma thus-far in Stardust Crusaders.

Big Hero 6 was weak as hell. I should have watched some anime this evening...

you're talking about the Academy Award winner, where people that gave the win to BH6 said "my grandkids enjoyed it" or "I didn't watch anything else"

Hell they gave it to Brave, and that was movie was shit. Especially when I think ParaNorman came out in the same year.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 44

Dennis is a star. He needs to be more involved.

Yuzu-oneechan could do better though. Though what made it most hilarious was the mom going Shiveru like Futoshi. He even noticed.

But Sora is back so it was another fantastic episode. I hope he stops ignoring Yuuya oniichan.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Death Parade Episode 8:

This series is certainly rather good at keeping the base premise fresh and indeed this is our first story that is to be told in two parts.

Jex

[Stardust Crusaders] - 32

I know that these guys have to hit their episode count, but there was certainly a handful of pointless scenes that I could have done without. Still, a most enjoyable episode nevertheless based solely of mechanics of the 'fight'. I certainly can't hand any praise to the director because the whole episode felt pretty flat visually and that first person CG sequence certainly didn't help matters.

Still, watching JoJo's in-between Yu Yu Hakusho and similar titles has given me a real appreciation for the freedom that the JoJo's formula allows when it comes to villains and their powers, and I'm not just talking about Stands, although they certainly play a big part in it. The only way to really contemplate how JoJo's differentiates itself from it's rivals.

Now, the traditional 'arc' of one of these 'battle' series is that a character/group of characters must achieve a set goal. Achieving said goal usually involves fighting a number of antagonists and as we've seen countless times the progression in these kinds of stories must be that as the heroes beat baddies they get stronger and stronger. Almost by definition the only way to make the next opponent threatening and to add tension to the outcome of their battle is to make them stronger than the previous one. This power creep is obviously a well known problem but still writers end up stumbling into it because it seems like the only way to write these kinds of stories. Eventually you hit diminishing returns and you end up having to create villains with the power to destroy whole worlds or some such nonsense. This is surely a sign that you've hit an endpoint for your property.

JoJo's neatly sidesteps this obstacle due to a number of really great decisions on the part of Araki:

- Firstly, Araki creates a series of stories that tie together, rather than one consistent tale. This allows him to 'reset' the story when things get out of hand, power wise. Moreover he resets the characters as well so the audience don't get bored.

- Secondly, Araki doesn't stick solely to serious drama. His stories are filled with wacky characters who do dumb things. This means that he can get away with all kinds of crazy battles and powers that you couldn't swallow in a serious show and more importantly he doesn't feel the need to make the next stand user more powerful than the last. This means he never runs into the problem or power creep, at least he hasn't at this point of the manga.

- Thirdly, Stands by their nature allow for a much wider variety of battles than any other traditional powerset. This allows for more creative and interesting battles that simply can't be won by brawn alone. Our heroes generally have to outwit their opponents in some fashion, making traditional 'leveling up of strength' a non-factor.

- Finally, Stands are a defined power for each hero. They don't seem to develop new and more powerful ways to use their Stand (although they sometimes pull of crazy new techniques) and nor do the Stands 'get stronger' through training or any other such traditional technique. This keeps the battles grounded even when facing extremely unusual opponents because we know are heroes wont suddenly develop or pull out a whole new host of abilities out of nowhere. We, roughly, know their limits.

Now I'm sure all this is very obvious to anyone really familiar with the genre but the more of these kinds of shows I watch the more I appreciate how skilfully Araki navigates problems that seem to weigh down other manga/anime.

Polnareff's Bizarre Adventure 32

This is something that I can concede should have been a single episode. The last half of the next episode should be something else though.

Still the pacing destroys a lot of other adaptations and I far prefer a full adaptation so it's not a big deal. Although some of extended bath time scene was a bit much. Iggys part was great though.

Death Parade - 8

God, this show is so good. Pretty awesome that the story for both of these guys will span across two episodes.

and YES,
the pain-inflicting games
are back!

Theonik

Thanks :) The shelf in particular or the stuff on it? :p Getting a shelf was a pain in the butt! I originally got one but it was like 3 cm too tall and wouldn't fit where I wanted it, the luck I have. No idea how I found one that was a perfect fit! Happy with it overall :)

I just put my copy of Patlabor: The New Files in my region B PS3 and I'm surprised to say that it worked without any issues.
I was more talking about the contents of the shelves but yes I had this issue with shelves before and actually need some good ones myself haha

Tenumi

Banned
Digimon Frontier: 4

So they need to find a forest village and reach a crossroads. One way leads to a forest, the other a desert. Naturally, our Goggle Boy this season decides to take the path into the desert!

*Sigh* I said you were a good character last episode, man!

Next up....

Lets see...

Goggle Boy: Fire Human Thing
NotYamato: Wolf Human Thing
NotTakeru: Snow Bear Thing
Izumi: FAIRY IN BRA AND PANTIES

God damn it, Toei....

And to make it worse, she can't even win her first battle when the others could.

Seriously, God Damn it, Toei.

G Reco 22

I dunno what's going on but the scene where Aida was chopping onions killed me

What's up with the body suit stuff? I thought it was gonna get really dark for a second.

Smh mask picking Manny over Barara

cajunator

Banned
Seasons 3 and 4 assume that you have some knowledge of the characters already, so I wouldn't call it standalone. It's also the worst season, for sure. Hayate is best when it's trying to be as silly as possible.

Noted thanks.

Andd thus we go back to remember a time when Precure was actually hot blooded and also targeted at males

http://a.pomf.se/mzmlwl.webm

Futari Wa Precure is still one of the best Precure shows. They started so strongly.

Nice collection! How did you get a hold of Evangelion 3.33? I didn t know it released?

Big Hero 6 was weak as hell. I should have watched some anime this evening...

Dat Gogo though!

Jex

Further evidence that Yu Yu Hakusho is a really weird property. As I've mentioned previously, the main characters perfunctory and boring girlfriend Keiko really seems to serve no purpose in the series except to occasionally look worried:

Meanwhile, nearly every other female side character is more interesting. Heck, even characters that at first appear ancillarily, such as the referees at the Dark Tournament, get more screentime than Keiko. While they're completely irrelevant to the plot they manage to have more to do with the story than she does. The directors and animators seem to realise that they have far more visual charisma than Keiko too because they seem to lavish a number of scenes on them:

That's clearly a sign then you messed up when you wrote a really flat and uninteresting character as Keiko into such an important role in the story. Or perhaps this is just a sign that you shouldn't write in female love interests into these kinds of stories? Or at least not ones without any ability to fight for themselves, because otherwise they just feel like they are tagging along and constantly getting captured.

Jex

I've posted some impressive animation from Yu Yu Hakusho's 73rd episode, here's some equally impressive material from episode 58 (the Shinbo episode):

mdamao.gif

aujezo.gif

Gundam Build Fighters TRY 20

Man Sekais fight was boring as shit. Maybe cause I dont like Sekai or any of the jigen ryu crap, but I found that whole fight and the emotional song bit afterwards corny as fuck. I couldnt roll my eyes back any further. I was hoping for something more than an asspull random power up, maybe some team work or something. Nope.

Crossbone Gundam looks menacing. Love its design.

Aria 13

Poor Akari, no sappy lines allowed even at new years.

And everybody meets up to celebrate, even some surprise guests.

It's a nice relaxing show with a little bit of comedy. Those cats are a bit strange at first, but at least they do funny stuff.

The music is pretty good and it's one of the few shows where I like both the OP and ED songs.

Really enjoyable, so 4/5 President Arias:
Z5ROBb2.png
Z5ROBb2.png
Z5ROBb2.png
Z5ROBb2.png
5x3xvbL.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom