• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

So close now. Spring is gonna be so good.

if1GIKU.jpg

Future Card Buddyfight Episode 59

The outcome was expected.

Unbelievable end of episode
Kyoya Gaen just became a terrible character. How dare he speak of Rouga in that manner. After being such a dedicated friend even

John Blade

Um.....1st episode was WTF as so many things happened that you have no clue and the story move too quick. 2nd episode kinda explain the situation better by going back in time. Also, CG animation is okay. Also....boobies for fans to see and nude shot. That's all. Too early to say if buying this collection is worth the money right now.

Durarara X2 7

Well the animation certainly took a nosedive in fuildity. It completely ruins my immersion when it happens especially when
Saika reappears.
Don't tell me their already cutting the budget on the animation.

Animation issues aside though it was a good episode. And that preview...

Andrew J.

Now, the traditional 'arc' of one of these 'battle' series is that a character/group of characters must achieve a set goal. Achieving said goal usually involves fighting a number of antagonists and as we've seen countless times the progression in these kinds of stories must be that as the heroes beat baddies they get stronger and stronger. Almost by definition the only way to make the next opponent threatening and to add tension to the outcome of their battle is to make them stronger than the previous one. This power creep is obviously a well known problem but still writers end up stumbling into it because it seems like the only way to write these kinds of stories. Eventually you hit diminishing returns and you end up having to create villains with the power to destroy whole worlds or some such nonsense. This is surely a sign that you've hit an endpoint for your property.

JoJo's neatly sidesteps this obstacle due to a number of really great decisions on the part of Araki:

- Firstly, Araki creates a series of stories that tie together, rather than one consistent tale. This allows him to 'reset' the story when things get out of hand, power wise. Moreover he resets the characters as well so the audience don't get bored.

- Secondly, Araki doesn't stick solely to serious drama. His stories are filled with wacky characters who do dumb things. This means that he can get away with all kinds of crazy battles and powers that you couldn't swallow in a serious show and more importantly he doesn't feel the need to make the next stand user more powerful than the last. This means he never runs into the problem or power creep, at least he hasn't at this point of the manga.

- Thirdly, Stands by their nature allow for a much wider variety of battles than any other traditional powerset. This allows for more creative and interesting battles that simply can't be won by brawn alone. Our heroes generally have to outwit their opponents in some fashion, making traditional 'leveling up of strength' a non-factor.

- Finally, Stands are a defined power for each hero. They don't seem to develop new and more powerful ways to use their Stand (although they sometimes pull of crazy new techniques) and nor do the Stands 'get stronger' through training or any other such traditional technique. This keeps the battles grounded even when facing extremely unusual opponents because we know are heroes wont suddenly develop or pull out a whole new host of abilities out of nowhere. We, roughly, know their limits.

Now I'm sure all this is very obvious to anyone really familiar with the genre but the more of these kinds of shows I watch the more I appreciate how skilfully Araki navigates problems that seem to weigh down other manga/anime.

Addressing your points by number:

1. It's a good point, and not something I've seen from a lot of other series. The new protagonists tend to start off each part as pretty powerful already, but not so much that there's a lot of power creep.

2. I'd say that's something Dragonball really lead the way on. I don't think there's been a really successful battle shounen since then that didn't have a lot of comedy elements.

3. Something I've mentioned before numerous times, and probably Araki's most influential innovation. If you're watching the Sensui arc in YYH now, you can already see Stardust Crusader's influence (Part 3 finished up around the time the tournament arc ended) in how Togashi moved away from linear power escalation and standard elemental magic in favor of more esoteric powers. (There's one confrontation that's almost exactly the same as the D'Arby "fight" in concept, but it's only the most obvious example.)

4. Mostly true, though from what I've heard there is a tendency for a sudden upgrade at the climax of each part.

Addressing your points by number:

1. It's a good point, and not something I've seen from a lot of other series. The new protagonists tend to start off each part as pretty powerful already, but not so much that there's a lot of power creep.

2. I'd say that's something Dragonball really lead the way on. I don't think there's been a really successful battle shounen since then that didn't have a lot of comedy elements.

3. Something I've mentioned before numerous times, and probably Araki's most influential innovation. If you're watching the Sensui arc in YYH now, you can already see Stardust Crusader's influence (Part 3 finished up around the time the tournament arc ended) in how Togashi moved away from linear power escalation and standard elemental magic in favor of more esoteric powers. (There's one confrontation that's almost exactly the same as the D'Arby "fight" in concept, but it's only the most obvious example.)

4. Mostly true, though from what I've heard there is a tendency for a sudden upgrade at the climax of each part.

I don't want to go into manga spoilers territory but you guys are mostly right.
About power creep, it does kind of happen as stands become more ridiculous and thus sometimes more powerful, but it's never like a Frieza-Cell-Buu progression.
The series never jumped the shark like that, although it got very close once.

Stands also do develop, but not through training.

Now, the traditional 'arc' of one of these 'battle' series is that a character/group of characters must achieve a set goal. Achieving said goal usually involves fighting a number of antagonists and as we've seen countless times the progression in these kinds of stories must be that as the heroes beat baddies they get stronger and stronger. Almost by definition the only way to make the next opponent threatening and to add tension to the outcome of their battle is to make them stronger than the previous one. This power creep is obviously a well known problem but still writers end up stumbling into it because it seems like the only way to write these kinds of stories. Eventually you hit diminishing returns and you end up having to create villains with the power to destroy whole worlds or some such nonsense. This is surely a sign that you've hit an endpoint for your property.

That thing I wrote up before with variety + escalation will generally apply, as it does with JoJol, but it does not mean the latter is bound by power-ups.

There are many series that forego that to expand on the already-established abilities by plunging the holders of said abilities into different situations.

Off the top of my head, there's Arachnid, Anagle Mole, Tokyo ESP, JoJo of course. All series that expect the characters to be Macguyvers with their powers rather than relying on power ups.

It's not that uncommon, even if the norm these days is to utilize both, increasing the scale while expanding the pool of strategies with what's been given on both sides. Just straight ability vollyeball like DBZ isn't really as big as it used to be.

Andrew J.

That thing I wrote up before with variety + escalation will generally apply, as it does with JoJol, but it does not mean the latter is bound by power-ups.

There are many series that forego that to expand on the already-established abilities by plunging the holders of said abilities into different situations.

Off the top of my head, there's Arachnid, Anagle Mole, Tokyo ESP, JoJo of course. All series that expect the characters to be Macguyvers with their powers rather than relying on power ups.

It's not that uncommon, even if the norm these days is to utilize both, increasing the scale while expanding the pool of strategies with what's been given on both sides. Just straight ability vollyeball like DBZ isn't really as big as it used to be.

That's something I should have emphasized more in my earlier post. Basically nothing post-Stardust Crusader has been pure linear power escalation on the same level of Dragonball.

jgminto

I don't want to go into manga spoilers territory but you guys are mostly right.
About power creep, it does kind of happen as stands become more ridiculous and thus sometimes more powerful, but it's never like a Frieza-Cell-Buu progression.
The series never jumped the shark like that, although it got very close once.

Stands also do develop, but not through training.

The only problem Araki runs into is his desire to make final adversary stands extremely powerful, which occasionally limits his options to instant changes in stand abilities.

Gundam: Reconguista in G 22:
They should have never let Manny just go off on her own. I knew that this would happen.

A lot of movement going on in this episode, but it was mostly transitioning. The body suit stuff was pretty important, but I'm not 100% sure where that's going right now. We're still at a point where things are expanding quite a bit in terms of the scope and the motivations of the characters.

No show out there can transition from something incredibly dark to random humor about bodily functions as well as this one can.

Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin - Blue-Eyed Casval

That Char backstory. It was nice seeing this firsthand compared to just hearing about it (unless it was in the original MSG, I only watched the compilation movies). I enjoyed the CG during the opening battle with the Zakus, but it definitely felt a lot more jarring when it started being used in everything else.

Right, time to check out Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere.

Which by the way, I think is a pretty strange title, even by anime standards.

I mean, what are you gonna call the sequel? Zenith in the Middle of Everywhere?

Futari wa had some (relatively) brutal fights. Nagisa and Honoka were always getting knocked around and scraped up.

Futari wa in general has some interesting things about it not seen later on in the franchise.

I thinnk one noticable thing was the bad guy mind controlling two school girls to fight, and then made them attempt suicide right in front of Black and White.

Further evidence that Yu Yu Hakusho is a really weird property. As I've mentioned previously, the main characters perfunctory and boring girlfriend Keiko really seems to serve no purpose in the series except to occasionally look worried:

Meanwhile, nearly every other female side character is more interesting. Heck, even characters that at first appear ancillarily, such as the referees at the Dark Tournament, get more screentime than Keiko. While they're completely irrelevant to the plot they manage to have more to do with the story than she does. The directors and animators seem to realise that they have far more visual charisma than Keiko too because they seem to lavish a number of scenes on them:

That's clearly a sign then you messed up when you wrote a really flat and uninteresting character as Keiko into such an important role in the story. Or perhaps this is just a sign that you shouldn't write in female love interests into these kinds of stories? Or at least not ones without any ability to fight for themselves, because otherwise they just feel like they are tagging along and constantly getting captured.

This my friends, is how you're suppose to do a Best Girl post

Midonin

PriPara 34

"As Leona says..."

I loved it that their catchphrase was reversed for that one moment. It's not surprising that Mirei also has some burgeoning talent in robotics, or at least toy repairs, if she could patch up Falulu's toy like that. Falulu referring to it as "her Non" is also incredibly heartwarming. While she didn't actually leave the the city-state theme-park, the way she did so sort of reminded me of the ending parts of Mother's Rosario, just without the imminent death by illness. SAO and PriPara had something in common, this is probably the only time you'll see that sentence anywhere.

Just as I was thinking that Falulu's Making Dramas are comparable to Elsa, she gets a dress that looks like Elsa's... and a new Making Drama that goes for more of a flower theme. It's cute, though, and the monochrome effect used before the flower petals color in her world is, while not as mind-bendingly exaggerated as the later Rainbow Live Prism Jumps got, still carrying a pretty decent amount of emotion for this show.

The reveal of how songs are written is interesting, too. The girls write their lyrics, drop them off with Meganee/Meganii, and the composers of dreams and gods of the idol world pen a song with what they have at hand. I have to admit, this is a much cushier job for Meganee than simply offering out clothes to aspiring idols. Probably makes more money, and having an army of clones probably doesn't hurt.

That Paradise outfit better do something amazing with all the buildup they're giving for it.

The only problem Araki runs into is his desire to make final adversary stands extremely powerful, which occasionally limits his options to instant changes in stand abilities.

I love that. The main antagonist Stands are scary strong, they really are something to fear. But sometimes they're so overwhelmingly strong that some bs happens.
Even Cars was like that.

Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin - Blue-Eyed Casval

That Char backstory. It was nice seeing this firsthand compared to just hearing about it (unless it was in the original MSG, I only watched the compilation movies). I enjoyed the CG during the opening battle with the Zakus, but it definitely felt a lot more jarring when it started being used in everything else.

This is out?

Assassination Classroom 7

I don't have much to say about the episode itself, but a recent twist in the manga has me keeping a suspicious eye on a certain character.

Mothman91

G-Reco 22

Can anyone honestly tell me wtf is going on? I think I've been confused since several episodes ago. There's like 5+factions and some reason I think a couple of them are allied and next thing you know they're fighting each other. If someone gives me a rundown I'll probably still be confused on wtf is going on.

Death Parade 8

True Detective-san. I gotta say these are my two favorite guests to the hotel so far. I have a feeling from the preview that
the weak dude was the stalker. Maybe some fucked up love for his sister

Jex

I really need to start Gintama like now if I want to have any chance of being caught up in time for the new season.

Well, even if that's not possible the only way to start tackling a mountain of anime is by watching the first episode! Except that, in the case of Gintama it's kind of a weak first episode. It does improve though!

Jex

You're Going To Regret This

So, I've previously talked about Shinbo's contribution to Yu Yu Hakusho, specifically his key work on episodes such as episode 58. One really noticeable aspect of Shinbo's approach to directing these episodes is that when he takes over in the middle of the fight (as most fights tend to last at least two episodes) he'll often re-create the last moments of the previous episode. One thing this does is highlight to the audience how two different directors can approach literally the same scene but create two completely different sequences, which is fascinating. Below, I'll examine how the same fight appears in episode 57 and episode 58.

One clear example of this is the sequence in the Dark Tournament where Hei finally unveils his perfected secret technique. Suffice to say that, as an audience member, you've been waiting many episodes (and possibly many weeks) to witness this pivotal scene so you should be pretty excited already. Here's how it's handled in episode 57:

Bui taunts Hei and demonstrates his immense battle aura by literally flying above him. The low angle demonstrates Bui's dominance in the frame, not to mention that his power and dominance are also being demonstrated via his ability to fly and project a huge aura (in this show a sign of your fighting strength is the size of your aura).

The tension mounts as Hei reveals that he's about to unleash his true power by removing the bandages on his arm that keep it contained. A simple close up on the bandages indicates their significance.

In a move surely designed to boost tension we cut away to reaction shots of the other characters just so they can explain what's going on. I feel this move is questionable at best for reasons we'll see shortly but it really feels like a classic example of telling the audience what's happening rather than simply showing it. It also interrupts the crucial 'unwrapping' sequence which takes some of the energy out it. Nevertheless we cut back to Hei:

The bandages have come off and we cut a to reaction shot of Bui as he starts to see Hei's true power.

Finally, his power is unveiled and we through a cut showing both characters we can see that Hei has released a sizeable 'aura' of his own. Canted shots suggest that this new power is making Bui very uneasy as it's clear that the power dynamics in the situation have changed. Now the fight can begin.

Now, here's how Shinbo handles the exact same material in a completely different (and I'd argue more effective) way in the very next episode:

Hey, it's those same shots again, except the art is much nicer! More importantly, the angle on the shot of Bui floating in front of Hei is shot at a far more extreme angle which really enforces the dominance that Bui is demonstrating at that point in the scene.

Hei removing his bandages, Shinbo-style. At first glance this looks totally badass, but it's worth highlighting why. Firstly, Shinbo chooses to hold the shot on Hei and rather than focus on what people in the stadium think of his actions he literally removes them from the shot by fading everything to black except Hei. His actions and movements are the only thing that matter. I don't know enough about colour to explain why the particular colours chosen here work but the extremely limited colour palette creates beautiful imagery that makes Hei look truly threatening. Many of his features are obscured by shadow leading to this feeling of building threat. There's also something of a ritualistic nature to this movement and actions.

Now this is what I call a reaction shot. The focus is just on the top of Bui's face with everything else obscured by shadow. The most important features are his eyes and eyebrows which are accentuated by the shading.

Like any good reveal, we can't rush to final shot. We have to get their slowly, in pieces via shots focusing on a single aspect of this unveiling. It's so important that each and every moment gets it's own totally isolated shot. We focus on nothing else. Nothing in the world exists but these movements. This is because Bui, watching Hei do this, is concentrating extremely hard. As we're about to see when we cut back to him:

Finally, the time is right:

Shinbo's choice to depict Hei only in white and black (with blue eyes) really pays off here as the orange of his fire contrasts so heavily with the rest of the shot. There really is no turning back now, the fight is about to begin.

Just in case that this hasn't made it clear how different these two interpretations are, just check out this direct comparison:

It's pretty night and day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom