• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So close now. Spring is gonna be so good.

if1GIKU.jpg

and its got nothing to do with Nisekoi

phaze

So close now. Spring is gonna be so good.

if1GIKU.jpg

I for one welcome, (manga spoilers)
the doubling of Raku's harem

Great Teacher Onizuka 06
Yoshikawa bailing his teacher was a pretty touching scene. And dem truthbombs.
Great Dad Onizuka 07
Probably best episode yet. Lost it when he challenged, Onizuka of all people, to a motorbike race and in a video game saloon to boot.

I've this creeping feeling that Eikichi is going to TnJ his entire class.

Jex

[The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness]

B-pBulvW4AARrew.png:large

The Kingdom of Dreams and Maddness is a documentary filmed while Hayo Miyazaki and Isao Takahata were making their last films at Studio Ghibli. It mainly chronicles the creation of The Wind Rises while occasionally discussing Princess Kaguya in passing.

I have some fairly mixed feelings on this film. It provides a fascinating window into the world of Studio Ghibli and even takes us behind the scenes into meetings were fairly tough creative choices are being hashed out. There's interesting footage of Hayo, Goro, Suzuki and other key figures at Ghibli. This insight alone is worth the price of admission.

On the other hand, the movie feels distinctly unfocused. If it's a movie about the making of The Wind Rises we don't really get into the nitty gritty of how that movie was put together. If it's a movie about Studio Ghibli as a whole we don't spend enough time with the hundreds of other staff members who make up the studio. If it's a movie about creating anime then it tells you nothing about the process whatsoever. If it's a movie about Hayo Miyazaki then there aren't enough full on interviews with the creator where he actually answers any questions and neither do we get a full overview of his life's work. It really feels like those are all huge topics that probably go outside the scope of even a movie. In the end, it isn't broad or directed enough for a general audience and isn't specific enough for an enthusiast crowd/

In the end, while I appreciate what the movie showed me it felt like a like the shot a bunch of footage over a few weeks at Ghibli and then tried to assemble into a coherent piece, but there isn't a clear through line. As I said above, it's still worth watching just to get a sense of Miyazaki's character and for the brief glimpses we get of how Studio Ghibli actually runs, just don't be disappointed if you're left wanting more.

If you're just interested to know how an animation studio actually works, watch Shirobako because you'll learn a hell of a lot more about the business watching that series/

javac

I was more talking about the contents of the shelves but yes I had this issue with shelves before and actually need some good ones myself haha
I'm so stupid, I don't know why I assumed otherwise lol :mad: Thanks again! My Blu-ray collection was solely Ghibli and Gainax but has expanded since, I even have a load of limited anime laserdiscs and crap...which is a bit weird but hey they look cool :p
Nice collection! How did you get a hold of Evangelion 3.33? I didn t know it released?
Thanks! It's the Japanese import :)
This is a new box-art right?
Durarara!! - Complete Box Set [Standard Edition] $129.98
Release Date: April 7th 2015
Format [Region]: Blu-ray [A|B|C]
Language: English & Japanese
w6SlhNS.jpg

Blu-ray Specs
  • Languages: Japanese & English
  • Video: 16:9 / Widescreen
  • Subtitles: Japanese & English (no sign subtitles for the English dub)
  • Episodes: ALL 26 episodes (24 TV episodes + 2 OVA episodes)
  • Total Running Time: approx. 624 min.
  • Rating: 13 UP
Bonus Contents
  • Textless Opening
  • Textless Ending
SRP $159.98
Sales Price $129.98

Death Parade - 08

I was expecting a tense episode ....

And i freaking got my tense episode.

They sure got me with those 2 ...
Impressive stuff , from animation to dialog and plenty of things seems to have changed i can't help but think that the show still have some surprise left.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Season 2, Episode 21:

So at last this arc comes to an end and may I say thank god for that. I know The Junior League is literally part of Log Horizon but they are just not that interesting to watch. At any rate the Red Evening has come to an end and the heroes stand triumphant but at a great cost as the city has been reduced to rubble in the ensuing battle. Cue the despondent feelings since the scrubs are so much smaller then the situation and the collateral damage isn't helping local feelings. Still the quest is complete and the party is set to split with Roe 2 still on her way to get a cure for that vampirism and the disguised Nureh also leave to head back to her seat of power, but not before giving us a reminder of the turmoil she endures while be under the thumb of Intics. Oh, also Isuzu manages to give the locals a song 43 though I question if this is actually song 43 considering how many other Adventurers are probably making with the music. Also, and more to the point, Isuzu has been touring the countryside giving the people new music already, the laws of this universe should dictate that those came first. I suppose it is a minor point but it is a plot hole none the less. Meanwhile in Akihabara more tension is being applied as we learn that some of the Adventures are still having trouble adjusting to Elder Tale and are starting to get mad or succumbing to ennui. Also Shiore finally speaks about the drums of war that are marching, though I have to admit this current People of The Land Adventurer paradigm has not been well defined since we are being told this. What we have been shown really does not extend past Trudy and her minions at this point and thing about it is in spite of her hatred she is still a vassal of Nureha and Plant Hwyaden. That does bring up a question of how she can keep such a tinderbox under control, curious, most curious. Really, we all know what the real war will or should be. East Vs. West, Akihabara vs Minmai as they have been building up this rivalry since the end of last season and this show better not Deadwood things. Finally, we get some very good reminders that Log Horizon plays the long game as the consequences of not having the magic barrier are finally as a mysterious monster is charming all the ladies in town. I suppose this is the Skylark but I am unsure. Much more important, much more important is in the preview for the next episode The Genius Monsters are coming. Right, so remember all of the subtle clues about the monsters getting smarter that were peppered throughout the season? This is the culmination to that thread, indeed, this is not the first time we have seen Genius Monsters. If you recall Kanami's episode, she encountered two of them and I believe we learned that they have been sealing off the legendary heroes of this world and TWO OF THEM NEARLY CONQUERED THE CHINA REGION! So yea, the fair city of Akihabara is in some pretty deep shit right now.

So last day of Feb, who has their annual Doujin Manga March avatar ready?

Wait , we need to ?

I'll cook up one ASAP

----------------
Unlimited fafnir - 08

Unlimited%20Fafnir%20-%2008.jpg

I don't think anyone doubt that

So fafnir continues on this ride

Not much happenned , except the usual antics and the various attempt at character develloppement.
We did get miyako flashbak ..It was alright , but that kraken sure was a small fry compared to the other monster in the show.

Ps: the thing you can do after huging your brother ....

cajunator

Banned
Aria 13

Poor Akari, no sappy lines allowed even at new years.

And everybody meets up to celebrate, even some surprise guests.

It's a nice relaxing show with a little bit of comedy. Those cats are a bit strange at first, but at least they do funny stuff.

The music is pretty good and it's one of the few shows where I like both the OP and ED songs.

Really enjoyable, so 4/5 President Arias:
Z5ROBb2.png
Z5ROBb2.png
Z5ROBb2.png
Z5ROBb2.png
5x3xvbL.png

Awesome. You gonna watch more?
two more seasons!

Right, time to check out Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere.

Which by the way, I think is a pretty strange title, even by anime standards.

I mean, what are you gonna call the sequel? Zenith in the Middle of Everywhere?

I might join in if I ever get the opportunity to watch it.

new pinups https://yande.re/post?tags=user:drop here's a few for a sample

I wish I could post the LEWD NSFW Yurikuma. :(

Good stuff.

Log horizon 2 - 21

This week , someone asked me about the identity of roe 2 and i answered that it would be answered in this episode. i'm sorry but they padded this episode on so much , shiroe only openned the letter as a cliffanger.
I guess they really want to drag the suspense out lol

So the other team quest is over..much was learned , plenty of things are still left unresolved
And we finally get some consequence of the lack of barrier around the city. Meanwhile everyone is trying to prepare their assets for the inevitable conflict on the horizon and even shiroe is having trouble building his deck .

Crusty disappearance sure is a big blow for the city

@Shard
This is without a doubt a 43th song, for 2 reasons
1- it became a skill ( the anime forgot to explain what it does ) , but it's a support skill ( BIG BUFF on stats )
2- it's being carried by people of the land now, so unless something happens with another adventurer , it really doesn't count.
It's without a doubt a new song.

Midonin

Milky Holmes TD 08

Even I know enough about anime/history to recognize this episode as an extended Rose of Versailles riff. The surprise cameo of Opera Kobayashi was also unexpected. This series is blending a lot of elements from the various elements of Milky Holmes in something that's holding up pretty well. Maybe not making a huge impression on the Western anime scene, but it's enjoyable. Though that may be because I'm a sucker for shows with lots of insert songs/character songs.

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 32

So this is Iggy from the beginning of the Egypt stuff:
and this is Iggy currently:

I predict in another 6 episode he'll just be drawn as a midget wearing a dog costume, maybe chomping a cigar like he's Baby Herman or something.

Hunter x Hunter - 119

And this.. is to go.. even.. further.. beyoooond
VIUjMxL.gif

G9nvmB7.gif

They started off with this, which lasted for a few minutes. Then the remaining time was spent on Squidwards plan on dealing with the shrimp. Talk about a buzzkill.
It's been three episodes since the Gon situation, we haven't seen a fucking trace of the king. Now they're teasing Smoke Guy vs Pouf, but who can know for sure. Maybe they'll open with a dialogue between them and then switch to oh I don't know, the wolf trying to sniff out the chameleon again??

Jex

Hunter x Hunter - 119

They started off with this, which lasted for a few minutes. Then the remaining time was spent on Squidwards plan on dealing with the shrimp. Talk about a buzzkill.
It's been three episodes since the Gon situation, we haven't seen a fucking trace of the king. Now they're teasing Smoke Guy vs Pouf, but who can know for sure. Maybe they'll open with a dialogue between them and then switch to oh I don't know, the wolf trying to sniff out the chameleon again??

It's funny because it's true. Just you wait, there's lots of talking to come.

Midonin

Revolutionary Girl Utena 01-03

This puts me in the "People who will finish Utena before firehawk" Club. The impetus to watch this came from the comparisons Kill La Kill was drawing to it last year, and from Lesbian Bear Storm airing right now. Soon as I saw Nozomi had the entire (subbed) series up, changed gears to get to it. I may buy it some day, but it's kind of expensive. Thank the Internet.

So, the first three episodes. Like with AzuDai, this is one of those anime I've seen parodied and referenced a lot in other anime, to the point that the original feels familiar even though I've never experienced it - Hina doing a parody of it in the first season of Hayate comes to mind. I can see how both Kill La Kill, Princess Tutu and even GoPri drew inspiration from this in various places.

I like Utena, and Anthy is certainly... mysterious. The lyrics of the duel songs have a lot of symbolism I'm still waiting for the show to unpack. Chuchu is a strange little monkey-mouse thing, but he's cute. The student council mostly feels like a bunch of smug, self-righteous people at this point. What Nanami did at the ball doesn't help my opinion of them.

I also notice that the title isn't 革命少女 but 少女革命, which implies that Utena is causing a revolution for women, instead of being a woman who causes a revolution. She's already bucking gender trends to some extent by wearing that boys' uniform, and owning it!

Nozomi cutting out the ED graphics for a simple scroll of credits over a simple background annoyed me with Marimite and it annoys me here, but it's nothing YouTube can't fix.

If the critical praise holds up, I should be in for a real treat - though I've already seen what's aired of Bears and all of Penguin, so I have some idea of what Ikuhara's end game is. But not entirely.

For fuck sake, they just showed the warm up to the King fight. It ends saying the battle has started. Next episode starts with the exact same scene. After opening? WE'RE BACK TO THE SQUID. What are they doing?? It's sucking the hype out so hard. I'm going to become impotent with all this on and off shit

phaze

For fuck sake, they just showed the warm up to the King fight. It ends saying the battle has started. Next episode starts with the exact same scene. After opening? WE'RE BACK TO THE SQUID. What are they doing?? It's sucking the hype out so hard. I'm going to become impotent with all this on and off shit
I warned you man, I warned you...

But you are close to the good stuff now.

Midonin

DOG DAYS'' 08

Ah, neat. A backstory not just for Adele, but in a way, for all of Flognard. So she was
a French girl with nowhere else to go until being summoned gave her purpose.
Having this sort of backstory being told firsthand gave it a warmth that made it more than pure exposition, and the knowledge that Flognard wasn't always the peaceful land it is now is an interesting angle. Foreshadowing for the eventual fourth season? The end of this season? And where's Sharl at, she's kinda been missing for most of this season's run.

The title of the next episode sounds intriguing. Filled with kind of ephemeral beauty. It reminds me of Fantasia.

kewlmyc

Aldonoah Zero 20

Yeah, next week isn't looking good for Slaine at all. Poor bastard. 3 people with the potential to completely fuck up his plans.

Midonin

Rolling Girls 08

Make rock, not war.

I still like this show, and I like it even more now that I see what it's doing. Let the road trip continue!

welcome to the shittiest pacing ever lol. Aka A Feast for Crows/Dance with Dragons

Serial Experiment Lain 01
Mama gives no fucks whatsoever.
Papa is too busy being a fucking NEEEEEEEEEERD and chatting with people in his multi-display set-up.
And Lain is a freak. A weirdo. What the hell is she doing here. She doesn't belong here. Also there was some #2pooky4me going on. But I've already seen this rehashed in that silly social media movie that's coming out at some point, obviously Lain stole from that. Anime has no shame. The internet is called the Wired, so Lain will have to walk through the gardens, way down in the hooooooooooole.

phaze

Aldnoah.Zzzz 20

Inaho didn't solo. Disappointed.

Outside of last 10 secs. Not much of note happened. I find it weird that it was loli maid of all people, who had to receive and entertain Mazurek. If only Slaine wasn't trying to save money on the staff in his castle, all this shit wouldn't happen.

Moaradin

Yozakura Quartet: Hoshi no Umi

Apparently this ova takes place after episode 8 of the 2013 series. Pretty weird considering this came out in 2010.

Anyways, it's pretty fucking good.

/XX/

In the end, while I appreciate what the movie showed me it felt like a like the shot a bunch of footage over a few weeks at Ghibli and then tried to assemble into a coherent piece, but there isn't a clear through line. As I said above, it's still worth watching just to get a sense of Miyazaki's character and for the brief glimpses we get of how Studio Ghibli actually runs, just don't be disappointed if you're left wanting more.
Well, this has been habitual for "independent" works trying to establish as particular visions on the studio personalities (intimate rather than comprehensive or educational), and to promote or distinguish themselves better as individual products to achieve greater fame because the ones exploring the most (as far as I know, and what little subtitled of the various main documentaries there is) such creative process AND also the technical matters of working for Studio Ghibli productions were already released as 'featurettes' complementary to major works, like the famous (and very complete) one How Mononoke Hime Was Born.

I've come to accept that it seems like Mr. Miyazaki's (sometimes confrontational and mostly downer) attitude attracts that kind of focus for documentaries around projects he is more-or-less involved in for the studio, as I suppose it appears more interesting to a broader audience when a famous figure-head expresses itself like he does going beyond the works he makes. Another even clearer example would be NHK's documentary Poppy Hill: 300 Days War of Father and Son - Hayao Miyazaki & Goro Miyazaki that was made expressly to revolve around the interactions (frictions) between them and what leads both to be creative and cope with the work rather than on the process itself (funny thing, during it we can actually catch glimpses of Hayao working on layouts for Mr. Dough and the Egg Princess or even story-board fragments from The Wind Rises before it was announced, moments that end up practically ignored by the documentary itself in favour of showcasing petty differences between the two)... this lends better to a more useful emotional drama with their distant relationship on display, and for taking caustic remarks out-of-context just for sensationalistic headlines unrelated to their projects themselves... I suppose!

NOT UNTIL YOU READ THE MANGA YOU WON'T

So much lost potential. Killua in the upper echelon of best characters in jump. If only Togashi was a better writer :(

Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom