• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serial Experiment Lain 02
hFnW9AZ.jpg

No matter where you go, the world is connected. Uguuu~
Where is this software that has Microsoft Sam as its voice lol. Also Papa got a nerd hard on when the daughter looked at him with that 1000 yard stare. Papa was all "yes. Another nerd in the family. I'll set up the computer right now". Also Lain goes to the club. It's going down. Life in the fast Lain for the youth of Japan. The #2pooky4me is starting to became 3pooky. I'm also confused at what the fuck is going on with Lain and the Wired, but this needs more McNutty.

Also I didn't mention it before, but the ED song is amazing. It's this blues-y sounding song with a guy with a really raspy voice. Those with voices that sound that they have gone through pain sing the best blues. I'll watch one more for the time being then I gotta keep watching House of Cards so my friends don't have to wait for me for too long for S3.

phaze

Serial Experiment Lain 01

Mama gives no fucks whatsoever.
Papa is too busy being a fucking NEEEEEEEEEERD and chatting with people in his multi-display set-up.
And Lain is a freak. A weirdo. What the hell is she doing here. She doesn't belong here. Also there was some #2pooky4me going on. But I've already seen this rehashed in that silly social media movie that's coming out at some point, obviously Lain stole from that. Anime has no shame. The internet is called the Wired, so Lain will have to walk through the gardens, way down in the hooooooooooole.

Brace yourself for humming powerlines.

A whole lot of them.

Serial Experiment Lain 02

I'm also confused at what the fuck is going on with Lain and the Wired

It's pretty much standard modus operandi for this show. :p

Serial Experiment Lain 03
Man I know that I said that the girl from Gatchaman Crowds had autism, but I was semi-kidding around. That seemed more like Aspergers. Now Lain. Lain definitely seems to have some mental issue to that capacity. This has gone way past dandere lol. And yeah another episode, another time mama gives no fucks. Papa seems to also have periods of times where he gives no fucks about Lain. And seems like she has a double personality or some shit as that cool guy seems to know her. Also those three little kids are extremely edgy. They hang out at clubs and shit. I bet they drink spiked chocolate milk and say fuck the police. Then we have a scene where the Agents from the Matrix hilariously tell somebody "you never saw us here" hahahaha. Then abstract ending. Enjoying the show even if I apparently need to be on drugs to truly appreciate it. I'll continue to watch more episodes tomorrow or tonight

Aldnoah 20

Shit is going to get dramatic next episode after this ending scene. I'll make sure to stock up on popcorn and then try hard not to choke to death laughing.

Why was the amnesia subplot even there if it was resolved in 4 minutes.

Jex

Well, this has been habitual for "independent" works trying to establish as particular visions on the studio personalities (intimate rather than comprehensive or educational), and to promote or distinguish themselves better as individual products to achieve greater fame because the ones exploring the most (as far as I know, and what little subtitled of the various main documentaries there is) such creative process AND also the technical matters of working for Studio Ghibli productions were already released as 'featurettes' complementary to major works, like the famous (and very complete) one How Mononoke Hime Was Born.

I've come to accept that it seems like Mr. Miyazaki's (sometimes confrontational and mostly downer) attitude attracts that kind of focus for documentaries around projects he is more-or-less involved in for the studio, as I suppose it appears more interesting to a broader audience when a famous figure-head expresses itself like he does going beyond the works he makes. Another even clearer example would be NHK's documentary Poppy Hill: 300 Days War of Father and Son - Hayao Miyazaki & Goro Miyazaki that was made expressly to revolve around the interactions (frictions) between them and what leads both to be creative and cope with the work rather than on the process itself (funny thing, during it we can actually catch glimpses of Hayao working on layouts for Mr. Dough and the Egg Princess or even story-board fragments from The Wind Rises before it was announced, moments that end up practically ignored by the documentary itself in favour of showcasing petty differences between the two)... this lends better to a more useful emotional drama with their distant relationship on display, and for taking caustic remarks out-of-context just for sensationalistic headlines unrelated to their projects themselves... I suppose!

Thank you for the information and, as always, for the informed analysis. I certainly appreciate that The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness doesn't go out of it's way to generate drama and tension through editing or music or any such cinematic device. It's shot, and edited more like reality without an overwrought narrative thrust in for the sake of drama.

It seems like Hayo Miyazaki himself isn't particularly direct on the subjects that we as the audience might want answers on but he nevertheless will expose at length on a variety of subjects that he finds interesting. This makes him interesting to listen to, even if you don't feel like you're learning anything at all.

So much lost potential. Killua in the upper echelon of best characters in jump. If only Togashi was a better writer :(

Killua started out as a somewhat likeable badass with a cliché but serviceable background story of "omg, dat torture, no real childhood, and constant killing!" However it never feels much like his upbringing actually has that much of an effect on his character as he's perfectly capable to socialize with not only Gon but a lot of people. Worse, his backstory gets contradicted more and more along the way.

HxH 2011 complete - spoiler warning
When, after the chimera arc, we're suddenly told he's actually got another sister (or was that a brother? both? maybe it was ambiguous) and Killua was also the loveable brother to her...just no. At this point the whole "dat torturing" backstory doesn't even fit with everything else. So he was constantly being tortured, trained, send on assassinations and what not but also happily took care about his little mystery sister?

He feels like a rather poorly constructed character to me.

Jex

Killua started out as a somewhat likeable badass with a cliché but serviceable background story of "omg, dat torture, no real childhood, and constant killing!" However it never feels much like his upbringing actually has that much of an effect on his character as he's perfectly capable to socialize with not only Gon but a lot of people. Worse, his backstory gets contradicted more and more along the way.

When, after the chimera arc, we're suddenly told he's actually got another sister (or was that a brother? both? maybe it was ambiguous) and Killua was also the loveable brother to her...just no. At this point the whole "dat torturing" backstory doesn't even fit with everything else. So he was constantly being tortured, trained, send on assassinations and what not but also happily took care about his little mystery sister?

Hunter x Hunter Spoilers

It's weird you bring up all those (reasonable) complaints but
how the hell don't you mention Killua's plot needle? The one that he takes out of his head and magically his psychological problems are cured? It's pretty stupid.

Togashi has been writing Hunter x Hunter for a really long time and frequently it's clear that he gets bored with what's going on and has to shake things up. Sometimes he forgoes consistency for the sake of entertainment.

/XX/

I certainly appreciate that The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness doesn't go out of it's way to generate drama and tension through editing or music or any such cinematic device. It's shot, and edited more like reality without an overwrought narrative thrust in for the sake of drama.

It seems like Hayo Miyazaki himself isn't particularly direct on the subjects that we as the audience might want answers on but he nevertheless will expose at length on a variety of subjects that he finds interesting. This makes him interesting to listen to, even if you don't feel like you're learning anything at all.
You know, about this I thought at times earlier that another reason for why (now that he is "retiring") latest interviews on Hayao Miyazaki centre so much around his figure instead on what he expresses on his own projects is because they see it as a more genuine look into his true persona. Could his random views on the world around him be a better representation of his inner thoughts than his works? Could it be that those reporters knew how to see beyond what these works say about him? If so, can we call those films escapism on Mr. Miyazaki's part? They sure took advantage of that on several articles or documentaries alike.

I mean, he certainly admitted a certain restraint on what part of himself can or cannot be on his movies... and peers like his 'prodigal son' Hideaki Anno or Mamoru Oshii have always been fairly critical of that apparent suppression of his own desires (until his most recent film, when Mr. Oshii appreciated that aspect of "sincerity" coming from it), so as a very famous person with a long trajectory I don't blame people for trying, after all this time, to go beyond and know more and more from that "dark" side of his that (for a general public view) contrasts so much with his career it becomes interesting on its own.

Hunter x Hunter Spoilers

It's weird you bring up all those (reasonable) complaints but
how the hell don't you mention Killua's plot needle? The one that he takes out of his head and magically his psychological problems are cured? It's pretty stupid.

Togashi has been writing Hunter x Hunter for a really long time and frequently it's clear that he gets bored with what's going on and has to shake things up. Sometimes he forgoes consistency for the sake of entertainment.

Yeh, like when Killua suddenly
gives a fuck about some random-ass octopus chimera-ant because he's slightly cool or sth along these lines. Though that's not what anyone wanted, another frigging ant to waste episodes on -_-

All this inconsistent character behavior and development meant that I pretty much don't care about anyone any longer. It was at a highpoint during the Yorknew City arc for me, especially with how much more interesting Kurapika got, but since then even Hisoka lost some of his magic.

Not like that isn't expected from these long running shows but it sucks nevertheless.

IVe got at least two more weeks with 108 hour, 9 day shifts coming up. I wont have time for anything :(

Not the same amount of hours, but I feel your pain with the consecutive day thing. In the middle of working 15 days straight because of some medical stuff with the family. Not fun.

dan2026

The end of the Chimera Ant arc is still one of the greatest manga arc finales.

It doesn't end with an epic battle or world shaking event but
a quiet board game in a basement between two friends.
But it somehow still manages to be the perfect culmination of a character arc.

Then you realise that neither Gon, nor Killua nor Kite were the main character of the arc after all.

Durarara X2 08

Sure are a lot of quality issues, but I've just come to expect that now. Aside from that,
Mikado's crazy side finally coming out.

Narag

I could swear that was revealed in a photograph well before that arc's conclusion. Couldn't name exactly when though, just that it was another dangled thread that was touched upon later.

I could swear that was revealed in a photograph well before that arc's conclusion. Couldn't name exactly when though, just that it was another dangled thread that was touched upon later.

It was definitely hinted at long before then, I think all the way back when Killua's family is first introduced.

Togashi certainly seems to have a reputation better than his actual writing quality merits to judge by the critiques Jexhius and others have brought up regarding Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter X Hunter.

Koufuku Graffiti - 08

Kirin's first day on the job so to speak. If Ryou's reaction is to judge by it seemed to taste extraordinary. But did it really? Perhaps that it was made with care and was a nostalgia trip for her was enough.
Funny to see more of outsiders reaction to the girls unusual behavior when it comes to food. Shiina needs more screen time, and so does poor Pizza-chan downstairs.

Narag

Nah, I was thinking of the actual Zoldyck family photo in the woods.Yours is certainly going back though.

Togashi certainly seems to have a reputation better than his actual writing quality merits to judge by the critiques Jexhius and others have brought up regarding Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter X Hunter.

I never got a gauge on things when watching HxH as I couldn't tell if he had planned stuff in great detail or was just great at stringing shit together. lol

His writing reputation comes from the subersive nature of his works. Yu Yu Hakusho helped define and elevate a lot of the tropes associated with fighting shounen series, while Hunter x Hunter turned them on their head while incorporating other genres into the mix.

Then there's stuff like Level E, which is pretty well-regarded for other reasons.

Nah, I was thinking of the actual Zoldyck family photo in the woods.Yours is certainly going back though.

I never got a gauge on things when watching HxH as I couldn't tell if he had planned stuff in great detail or was just great at stringing shit together. lol

Naw if he planned it out he wouldn't go on break so often

I wonder though, were those kind of images or other hints included in the manga as well? They can just add them to the anime.

Either way, whether hinted at or not, story-wise that still came out of nowhere and just keeps diluting Killua's loose characterization further.

I don't believe those photos were in the manga
One might have been.

Dog days'' - 08

An episode dedicated to the flyonnarde backstory and it explained a lot of things , especially about vallery being a demon king ... with this everything is MUCH MUCH more clear including the circumstances of everything 100 years ago .

IT's intresting to note that HIna was
cursed by a demon , i mean there was no forshadowing for that what so ever ..she cured now ( and immortal ? ) but if they brought that up they should use it at some point . It also explain her circumstances as a noble, no wonder how she got that title with 100+ years of deeds across the world.
Dog%20Days%20S3%20-%2008.jpg

Excellent scene
Fi & adele backstory was quite good... it's a shame that everything was summmarized so fast ..
Damn , i'm all in for a spin-off anime with the hero party solving things and defeating demons arond the world.

But this didn't answer the question... If FI was sick , valery a demon lord , and adele busy with the domestic affairs, how the heck is couvert an ancestor to Fi ?
How the heck does this familly tree work ?

Now we need a backstory on yuuki and hina first meeting

Ps: lol @ rico ancestor , she tiny !

Narag

I wonder though, were those kind of images or other hints included in the manga as well? They can just add them to the anime.

Either way, whether hinted at or not, story-wise that still came out of nowhere and just keeps diluting Killua's loose characterization further.

I thought he was alright but I perceived him a kid trying to find his own identity outside of the family name and the softening of his character as being chalked up to Gon's influence. Didn't really look past that though.

One might have been.

Looks like the family photo was in the manga in chapter 229. I can't say for certain since I cannot read manga but the visuals look similar.

Honestly, I really like Hunter X Hunter and it's one of my favourite Shounen shows (just look at my avatar).

But I can totally agree about the pacing about the later parts of the Chimera Ant arc being terrible.

It's a shame, really. The arc starts off so strong only for it to slow to a snails pace and totally ruin the immersion for many people.

It's also a shame that the latter parts of that arc have some of the best moments in the entire show.
Seriously, Gon about to go berserk on Pitou, The fight between Netero and the King, Gon actually going berserk on Pitou afterwards, etc. They're all really stellar moments bogged down by that pacing.

The problem with Killua's character is that he doesn't actually have a real goal, like all the other characters.

Gon wants to meet his father and become a great hunter like him, Leorio wants to become a doctor, Kurapika wants to avenge his bretheren, Killua doesn't want to be an assassin and wants to stick with Gon. That's what his entire character becomes shortly after the first arc. He's not a terrible character or even a remotely bad one, it's just that his motivations aren't as interesting as some of the other stronger characters in the show.

Hell, the Phantom Rouge movie actually makes a reference to that fact and it practically comes off as a joke.

cajunator

Banned

Actually, yes it really has. Not because its creepy or unsettling, but because products like this and the attitude of an increasing amount of people are actively damaging the population of an entire country over time. Japan enables it more and more and its actually hurting them. Kind of like the old adage "just because you could doesnt mean you should"
That said, the girl on the daki is cute so I am part of the problem.
Pity its not Miku though. False advertising, BGBW.

Not the same amount of hours, but I feel your pain with the consecutive day thing. In the middle of working 15 days straight because of some medical stuff with the family. Not fun.

Yeah its basically a 9 day on, 5 day off rotation that will go on into April. the terrible thing is that based on the attitude of the trainee Im about 75% certain she isnt going to last. This is upsetting because I feel like we are again wasting our free time training someone who wont be here long. then the cycle repeats.
The upside is that it leaves me with several hundred dollars extra pay (I dont get paid time and a half for extra days though)

Dog days'' - 08

An episode dedicated to the flyonnarde backstory and it explained a lot of things , especially about vallery being a demon king ... with this everything is MUCH MUCH more clear including the circumstances of everything 100 years ago .

IT's intresting to note that HIna was
cursed by a demon , i mean there was no forshadowing for that what so ever ..she cured now ( and immortal ? ) but if they brought that up they should use it at some point . It also explain her circumstances as a noble, no wonder how she got that title with 100+ years of deeds across the world.

Fi & adele backstory was quite good... it's a shame that everything was summmarized so fast ..
Damn , i'm all in for a spin-off anime with the hero party solving things and defeating demons arond the world.

But this didn't answer the question... If FI was sick , valery a demon lord , and adele busy with the domestic affairs, how the heck is couvert an ancestor to Fi ?
How the heck does this familly tree work ?

Now we need a backstory on yuuki and hina first meeting

Ps: lol @ rico ancestor , she tiny !

Dog Days does everything right. Everything.

FluxWaveZ

Actually, yes it really has. Not because its creepy or unsettling, but because products like this and the attitude of an increasing amount of people are actively damaging the population of an entire country over time. Japan enables it more and more and its actually hurting them.

Is it right to blame products like this for any population problems Japan is having? It's not like RealDolls and such don't exist, elsewhere, and I don't know if these body pillows are that socially acceptable in Japan?

Togashi has strengths and weaknesses as a writer, of course. Certainly one of his weaknesses is that he can sometimes grow bored with his plots or characters and decide to just shift off in another direction (although at the same time, he's a good enough writer in general that the new direction is almost always an interesting one).

I think Togashi has some real strengths as a writer. He's a good ideas guy in general, with his stories often having pretty interesting world building and some striking ideas and concepts. More than any other battle shounen writer I can think of, Togashi really attempts to flesh out his antagonists to the point that they can be almost as sympathetic as the heroes (there are a few exceptions like the Greed Island villains and Elder Toguro, of course). This also ties in with his general desire to subvert tropes, but to do so in a genuine way. Unlike a lot of other writers who will do some sort of a subversion that's constantly going on about how subversive it is (for a non-anime example, see that hack Rothfuss), Hunter x Hunter feels like something that is both a love letter to the genre as well as an attempt to turn the genre tropes on their head. It happens naturally enough that you don't necessarily stop and think about it while your reading/watching. Togashi also by the latter half of Yu Yu Hakusho starts to do away with power levels as being the biggest factor in battles and mostly focuses on different unique abilities that characters posses being the bigger factor.

I think he also has a skill at sketching out basic characters pretty quickly. From early on you can get a likable and understandable portrait of characters like Yusuke, Kuwabara, Kurama, Leorio, Kurapika, etc. They might not be the deepest characters in the world, but they're all reasonably fleshed out and understandable. There's also just something to be said in general for the characters being largely all likable to watch or read about. This might seem like a low bar, but with the vast majority of series out there, a lot of people seem to dislike at least some of the characters, yet I rarely encounter very many people saying "Man, I really can't stand Yusuke" or "Kurapika is the worst, I'm glad he wasn't in this arc". What Togashi's characters might lack in terms of deep explorations of their psyche, they can make up for with just being enjoyable characters to watch who grow enough over the course of the story and get put in some interesting situations. I think Togashi also usually does a good job as time goes on about exploring the last effect that everything has on these characters. The Demon World arc in Yu Yu Hakusho is really all about how Yusuke, Hiei and Kurama no longer have a place in every day life and they have to go seeking out new fights (and one's explicitly shown to not be necessary or having a nobler end goal) to stay relevant, while Kuwabara is able to actually reintegrate with society and has the possibility of living a normal, well adjusted life. (Many fans completely miss the point of this arc and think that Togashi is disrespecting Kuwabara as not being strong enough to keep up with the other characters, when in reality the story is really about how Kuwabara is the strongest one for not having to keep fighting)

Of course, Togashi's weaknesses (even excluding punctuality or the chicken scratch drawings he puts out sometimes) certainly exist. As I mentioned above, his characters certainly aren't the deepest, although he does have a few who are pretty complex. They make up for that in other departments, I think, but it can be a weakness of his, as is his tendency to sometimes get bored with certain plot lines. Another issue, of varying degrees, is his tendency to just introduce a massive amount of side characters that never wind up going anywhere. I get that part of his intention here in Hunter x Hunter is to just sort of show the characters going through their lives, so sometimes they meet some folks who fall out of their lives pretty quickly, but it can be fairly disorienting and sometimes winds up feeling pointless. Yu Yu Hakusho, as much as I love it, was fairly aimless for most of the series, with each arc mostly just involving a new enemy for the characters to fight. The final arc does deal with this and touches on where the characters are going, but it would have been nice to have some of this earlier on. You can really feel how Togashi was just making shit up as he went along (and I think it's pretty clear that Toguro's heel turn was not planned until much closer to the end of the Dark Tournament).

One might have been.

There was definitely at least something in there. We knew that Killua had another younger sibling for years prior to the election arc.

phaze

HxH full spoilers

I'm not quite sure I agree. As you yourself say, it never seems like that torture had much effect on him. Realistic ? No. But it's not like a certain green clad asshole with his unconditional love for his deadbeat of a father is a very realistic character either. Killua from the beginning was shown as a pretty normal person that just tended to snap at times,
so I don't think it's such a big leap to think he could care about his sister.
That his upbringing didn't affect him much was there from the beginning, we even saw him shrug off torture like its nothing at some point.

Killua's arc
in Chimera arc and later is pretty great as he finally realises what a horrid, awful human being Gon is and manages to finally free himself from him.
Togashi da gawd.

God I hate Gon.

Mushishi 17

So the Mushishi aren't just aimless wanders but do get requests from those in need of help. The methods they use to communicate seem very dangerous. Haven't they heard of the internet?
Ito's escape seems to take place over many years yet she hasn't aged a day. I guess it's another warning, flesh and blood decays and dies but words are timeless and can travel long distances.

Tuck

HxH full spoilers

I'm not quite sure I agree. As you yourself say, it never seems like that torture had much effect on him. Realistic ? No. But it's not like a certain green clad asshole with his unconditional love for his deadbeat of a father is a very realistic character either. Killua from the beginning was shown as a pretty normal person that just tended to snap at times,
so I don't think it's such a big leap to think he could care about his sister.
That his upbringing didn't affect him much was there from the beginning, we even saw him shrug off torture like its nothing at some point.

Killua's arc
in Chimera arc and later is pretty great as he finally realises what a horrid, awful human being Gon is and manages to finally free himself from him.
Togashi da gawd.

God I hate Gon.
Hey me too. Let's be friends.

cajunator

Banned
Is it right to blame products like this for any population problems Japan is having? It's not like RealDolls and such don't exist, elsewhere, and I don't know if these body pillows are that socially acceptable in Japan?

Yes it is sort of, because although it is serving a market that exists, that market has already enabled a dangerous precedent that is actively contributing to the decline of a society that has become measurable. Its not the dakimakura itself or this sort of product in general at fault though for Japans huge problems, but its adding to the growing situation and making people even more likely to avoid actual companionship. People can still collect things like this as a novelty. it isnt always something collected to be a stand-in "waifu" which is why its not completely messed up. But consider stuff like Oculus rift and other real life stand-ins that are taking people further and further away from real people. I might be really into collecting and enjoying cute anime things, but I also have firm grip of reality and how to deal with real people and unfortunately a lot of people in Japan and even elsewhere cannot function in society that way and products like this only further hurt them. But these products still have a right to exist, Im not saying they dont.

Midonin

Go! Princess Precure 05

The bonds of friendship run strong! It was cute finding out why Kirara wanted to get into the modeling game. Her mom did it, and she respected her mom a whole lot... but she also realizes that for now, being a magical girl is a pretty important thing to be doing. I look forward to the team chemistry and our first full roll call later on, but before that, it looks like Miss Nonon is going to be teaching princess lessons.

SHONEN HOLLYWOOD -HOLLY STAGE FOR 50- Episode 21 - Does God Speak with His Own Words?

This was such a nice episode. The content with the family members supporting him (mainly the mom and Kakeru, sister comments, and dad) made it make me feel all warm inside. Then seeing Kakeru grow from how he was at episode 20 to know the end of episode 21 too made me feel all good. Love how supportive everyone is of each other, and also how they can also say their true feelings too (Shun Shun's).

Also Makki and Kira are hilarious, their off camera moment after commenting about the glaring daggers and they didnt do it to Makki because he's Makki. I had to rewatch multiple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom