• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCG

Is it ok to jump straight into the 3rd Madoka movie after a long absence from the TV show and not seeing the previous 2 movies?

Ask yourself this: do I think the TV show ended well enough to not need a sequel? If so, then chances are you'll think the third movie isn't really necessary.

There are definitely people who are in fact glad to have seen it and appreciate the film opening up the story again, but others don't share that opinion.

Narag

as amazing as that episode was I still don't feel that it makes up for the shit pacing. Though the battle between old dude and the king was sweet too I guess.

Nothing makes up for the shit pacing but the closure from that ep is so sorely needed after it is drawn out for 46 episodes. It's like last episode of Death Note level catharsis for the viewer.

DiGiKerot

Is it ok to jump straight into the 3rd Madoka movie after a long absence from the TV show and not seeing the previous 2 movies?

Pretty much - it's kinda weird regardless of what you remember, and the movie recaps don't really add anything necessary.

I think Rebellion is worthwhile just for some pretty animation, but I'm sure other folks have chimed in to the contrary already...

Kikirin

I was at a Japanese restaurant the other day for dinner and heard these two songs playing. It drove me nuts with how familiar they sounded, but I'm not sure where they came from. I think they came from an anime series or movie, but am not completely sure. Plz halp.

Mystery Song 1
Heard two versions of this song, a vocal version and an instrumental version. The former's vocals sang to this melody line, whereas the latter used a flute / pan flute / shakuhachi for the melody.

Mystery Song 2
Not much to go on here, but unfortunately I don't distinctly remember much more of it. It's a vocal song, and the snippet follows the singer's melody.

I don't have much to give in return for the help, but I do have a few CR guest passes that I can give to those who find them!
Though I'll likely put them up eventually, regardless.

I was at a Japanese restaurant the other day for dinner and heard these two songs playing. It drove me nuts with how familiar they sounded, but I'm not sure where they came from. I think they came from an anime series or movie, but am not completely sure. Plz halp.

Mystery Song 1
Heard two versions of this song, a vocal version and an instrumental version. The former's vocals sang to this melody line, whereas the latter used a flute / pan flute / shakuhachi for the melody.

Mystery Song 2
Not much to go on here, but unfortunately I don't distinctly remember much more of it. It's a vocal song, and the snippet follows the singer's melody.

I don't have much to give in return for the help, but I do have a few CR guest passes that I can give to those who find them!
Though I'll likely put them up eventually, regardless.

The second one is the FF13 Main Theme.

Go_Ly_Dow

IMO it's not okay to jump into the 3rd Madoka Movie at all.

But if you really want to, I'd say it depends on how well you remember what went down in the TV series.

You should just not watch the third movie at all.

Ask yourself this: do I think the TV show ended well enough to not need a sequel? If so, then chances are you'll think the third movie isn't really necessary.

There are definitely people who are in fact glad to have seen it and appreciate the film opening up the story again, but others don't share that opinion.

Pretty much - it's kinda weird regardless of what you remember, and the movie recaps don't really add anything necessary.

I think Rebellion is worthwhile just for some pretty animation, but I'm sure other folks have chimed in to the contrary already...

Dang. I do remember the TV series well and suppose I always wanted to watch it for clarification on the ending scene, but it sounds like it will disappoint!

Serial Experiment Lain 6
Rj17iHV.jpg
This shit went from the Matrix to a commentary on loners who stay with their computers, and then back to some abstract fucking Religious Otaku god. All within an episode lol. Lain done went full otaku. MAKE SENSE SHOW. If not I'm going to start thinking you're also commentary about PC gaming and Lain is trying to build a rig that can run Witcher 3 at Ultra.

5 episodes into Nodame Cantabile and it's quite alright so far but god damn, anime really could do without these eccentric and flamboyant gay characters. That drummer...*sigh*

e: Perverted old man isn't great either exactly...

phaze

Dang. I do remember the TV series well and suppose I always wanted to watch it for clarification on the ending scene, but it sounds like it will disappoint!

It's a really great movie for the most of its run.

Worth it for art and animation alone.

Serial Experiment Lain 6

This shit went from the Matrix to a commentary on loners who stay with their computers, and then back to some abstract fucking Religious Otaku god. All within an episode lol. Lain done went full otaku. MAKE SENSE SHOW. If not I'm going to start thinking you're also commentary about PC gaming and Lain is trying to build a rig that can run Witcher 3 at Ultra.

Oh yeah that bit was just so out of there. :D

Man you're blasting through it at frightening pace. I've to up the speed of my GTO run.

DiaLover 1-12 EngDub BD

JUst as fantastic as the JPN version. I think its with Phi Brain, Angel Beats, No 6, and Tsuritama as Sentais best dub. Really made it highly entertaining. Yours Truly was wonderful, with great lines.

Cross Ange 21

Now magical evil Nunnally has a huge rifle with a bayonet on it. You would think the recoil would topple her over but whatever

Seeing Embryo get fucked up multiple times is nice. Probably the best thing Tusk has ever done.

Damn that's harem -2 right there. Hopefully one doesn't come back!
Now nothing can stop the Hilda route!!

Hunter x Hunter - 131

oooooh my gooooooood. My jaw was at the floor throughout. What the fuck just happened!
HOLY SHIT! This episode ahhhhh everything was so fucking good. The rage, the feels, the art direction and my god the soundtrack. Bravo.

Probably the best episode in the entire show. Its a lot of the reason I'm willing to excuse the weak points of the ant arc.
People waited years to see it animated and it was done perfectly, probably one of my favorite scenes of all time and definitely my favorite from last year.

It's a really great movie for the most of its run.

Worth it for art and animation alone.

Oh yeah that bit was just so out of there. :D

Man you're blasting through it at frightening pace. I've to up my the speed of my GTO run.

I think the difference is that I have good stopping points and then watch other things. Like this is about the halfway point, I gotta catch up on House of Cards as well. Then whenever I finish Lain, before I start the next series I might start on something else as well.

edit: also is there some recent trend of Justified avatars in AnimeGAF? That's you and firehawk now.

Yatterman Night 08

Hmm, still enjoying this show but I think I gotta drop it down to #3 of the season behind JoJo and Yuri bears.
I haven't enjoyed the last two episodes as much but I'm really looking forward to the last ones.

Anyone else notice that characters voiced by Nobuyuki Hayama always have the best themes? But are also always really incompetent?

Hunter x Hunter - 131

oooooh my gooooooood. My jaw was at the floor throughout. What the fuck just happened!
HOLY SHIT! This episode ahhhhh everything was so fucking good. The rage, the feels, the art direction and my god the soundtrack. Bravo.

Madhouse delivered on that episode perfectly. One of the very best episodes in the show.

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere - 2

Anime words are being said and anime things are happening. That's my general understanding of what's going on in this show so far.

Quasar

Anime words are being said and anime things are happening. That's my general understanding of what's going on in this show so far.

Pretty dense start isn't it. Becomes clearer pretty quickly I found though, once all the setup is over.

phaze

I think the difference is that I have good stopping points and then watch other things. Like this is about the halfway point, I gotta catch up on House of Cards as well. Then whenever I finish Lain, before I start the next series I might start on something else as well.

edit: also is there some recent trend of Justified avatars in AnimeGAF? That's you and firehawk now.

Two people is a bit too little to call it a trend. :p Last season and all that, I'd imagine. + Dewey rocks.

Stardust Crusaders 32

For a moment, it looked like Polnareff, of all the people from the crew, would actually use his brain at the beginning of the confrontation and not at the end but nooooo. Jotaro is deaf and blind apparently. Still, pretty alright. Maybe it's because I'm not marathoning it like I did with the previous season but I'm enjoying the Egypt more than I did the journey to it.

The Tale of Princess Kaguya

hAIkLW7.jpg

Finally found some downtime to watch this. Man. What a beautiful movie.

I've never read the folktale that it's based on so I really knew nothing about it. Based on the promotional images, I figured the story would be more uplifting and happy but man I was wrong. Well, it started off like that but before you know it, the melancholy just crept up on you.

It was tough watching Kaguya suffer after watching her grow and experience such a joyful childhood. Shes such a great character and you can really feel her pain as she's torn between her wishes and pleasing her adoptive father (who I really hated and felt was pushing everything for his own selfish reasons). Even as she's removed from everything she knows and loves, she still tries to make the best of it. When she was reunited with
Sutemaru and broke down how it was too late for them to be together
, it broke my heart man. And then there was that ending. Goddamnit ;_;

Even so, the movie also had some really funny and goofy moments and a cast of lovable side characters. Tiny cat face maidservant really was the best. I cant say enough good things about the art and animation either. I found myself in a trance every time Kaguya was tying her hair or when the maids rose up and down, moved around so quickly and elegantly with 10 layers of clothing. Watching baby Kaguya roll and stumble around felt so real. You can just feel the amount of study and work that went into these interactions. It was so fluid and expressive. Just about every frame of this movie could sit proudly on someone's wall.

I definitely want to do a rewatch soon. Cant say enough good things about the movie.

5/5

Some questions:

1)
When the 4th suitor that came with the flower and saw an old lady instead of Kaguya, who was that supposed to be? Kaguyas mother? One of his ex wives?

2)
I wasn't really sure why Kaguya was sent down to earth. Was it because she desired to come because of the song she heard in the moon?
3)
Was it me or did it seem like Kaguya's memory remained with her at the end? Or is that open to interpretation?

4)
I'm pretty terrible at critical analysis but what do you think was the theme of the movie?

Yatterman Night 08

This show can only end in one way now:

Gatchan has to
shove a scallion up Leopard's ass
, confirming Boyacky and Tonzra's suspicions.

The first few episodes really were the hardest to get through, and probably where most people dropped it, with good reason. Even the staff admitted as much.
In an extra booklet bundled with the second volume of Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon Blu-ray, a report of an interview with the director, the series composer, and the novel author was published. In the interview, director Ono Manabu said the script of the first three episodes had been the biggest obstacle.

Series composer Urahata Tatsuhiko said it was difficult to deal with the first volume of the original novel. Most of the production staff felt tiresome to read the first half of the volume although they couldn't stop reading it through the latter half. Urahata was aware that the episodes 2 and 3 were not attractive as an anime. However he didn't omit them because they were indispensable for the climax of the story. Ono was anxious if the shuffled timeline of the events and the lack of action scenes in the episodes 2 and 3 could repel the audience, so he felt relieved to see the excitement of the fans after episode 4.

Articalys

The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Some questions:

4)
I'm pretty terrible at critical analysis but what do you think was the theme of the movie?
You should watch the "Isao Takahata and His Tale of the Princess Kaguya" documentary. I don't think it'll directly answer your question here, but it should give you a bit more insight into it, besides being an excellent behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film.

Seiken Tsukai no world break - 08

Well so this story was wrapped quite nicely ..

I just can't help but smile , when the MC only has to REMEMBER a new cheated skill to do something .. 2 whole lives of cheated skills .. He is getting there as a most cheated anime character ..Still on #7 position on my list but he's progressing quite fast up.

Also this scene ( priceless )

Seiken%20Tsukai%20no%20World%20Break%20-%2008_01.jpg
Seiken%20Tsukai%20no%20World%20Break%20-%2008_02.jpg

The future ... alright

Maya doesn't even hide her expectations , harem is the way to go.
That is going to be something intresting ...in the future .....right.

Who needs prana , when you can perfect evade and null attacks ?

Thoraxes

The "Demon of Heiselberg Resident of a nondeterministic world" has to be a reference to "Heisenberg Uncertainty principle", so we quantum-mechanics now, where things are nondeterministic and probability rules all. I suppose that was why there are two parallel worlds and why the clash of Sala and Ange song lett hem see other possible lives, and why he appears undamaged after dying, he says "nope, that actually didn't happen/happened in another world, I was here all along!". I suppose Tusk did some research on him somehow but didn't really understand it.

Oh, it was supposed to be that? Makes sense.

Niiiice. My Dandy gets here tomorrow I think. I've been looking for an excuse to rewatch it for sometime now.

Tribe Cool Crew Episode 19 & 20
tumblr_nk8h7ai1He1s5wiico1_500.gif

I love the Galaxy Walk. I hope more can learn it though I could see it being a Hanero special think like his MAXIMUM MOVES,

20 was hilarious for the moms reaction to Yuzu finding out about her past, seeing her so embarrassed after being so uptight was out of this world funny.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 3

Pretty exciting to duel against this two minute clock and incoming trash. Im looking forward to Yusei's better cards coming in to play.

Those four different angles for Jack Atlus at the end was incredible.

kinger256

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 32-62

I've seen the light. This is probably the best shounen I've watched. The last arc was stunningly good in how well it was directed and written. Kuripika episodes were definitely the standout in this series, but there wasn't anything I disliked about the rest except for the ones in the exam arc.

I need more HxH but I'm not sure what to watch next. Are the OVA's any good? Should I watch them or skip straight to the 2011 version?

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 32-62

I've seen the light. This is probably the best shounen I've watched. The last arc was stunningly good in how well it was directed and written. Kuripika episodes were definitely the standout in this series, but there wasn't anything I disliked about the rest except for the ones in the exam arc.

I need more HxH but I'm not sure what to watch next. Are the OVA's any good? Should I watch them or skip straight to the 2011 version?

Go to the 2011 version.

I don't know much about the OVAs but I've heard that the animation in them was terrible and that the 2011 version of Greed Island is better than them in every way.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G Episode 11 (EngDub)

Be Still My Heart! more Jaime was good. I love the Aqua Force deck so to see it appear in this iteration of Vanguard with some our favorites was great. Its nice to ee the spirit of Leon Soryuu live on.

Orphan story was good, had only just realized that this is the current only card game anime on going in which the lead is orphaned (the others I watch all have at least their mom or dad, or both).

Absolute duo - 08

So in this episode , useless girl was assaulted by bunny teacher

THE END.

How the heck do you do that ?
How do you twist your ankle ?? You're a super enhanced human !! Are you super clumsy ?
Are you telling me that you can climb a mountain barehanded but can't walk properly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom