• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Hello Friends have you heard the good news about 60fps anime?
https://fat.gfycat.com/HastyMiniatureCurassow.webm
svpanime.png

svpanime2.jpg

posting about svp should be bannable

Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu - 15

Oh wow, they actually made some progress as to finding Daiya's father. Like, I know the title to this ep said there'd be a clue, but I certainly wasn't expecting that kind of info from this episode.

Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu - 16

Interesting bit of foreshadowing going on here. Looks like one of the generals is plotting something unbeknownst to the others.

jbug617

Banned
I guess enough people buy it at that ridiculous prize that it compensates for the fact that most people won't buy it? I just don't understand how this business model works, or how anyone could possibly think of buying this.

I have a love/hate thing with Aniplex releases. I like most of their bluray releases but I hate what they do with DVD. They release bare bones DVD and charge a premium. For their premium blurays they usually are on point with extras.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying

This show has literally zero right to be this good. None what so ever. It's short (3 min/episode), funny as fuck, lewd as all hell, and loaded to the brim with anime and manga references, but, at the same time, it's really touching and surprisingly honest. After the first few episodes it gets pretty real. And it doesn't look all that bad either (aside from one strange single episode art change). Simplistic, but so good.

This show has literally zero right to be this good. None what so ever. It's short (3 min/episode), funny as fuck, lewd as all hell, and loaded to the brim with anime and manga references, but, at the same time, it's really touching and surprisingly honest. After the first few episodes it gets pretty real. And it doesn't look all that bad either (aside from one strange single episode art change). Simplistic, but so good.

Yeah the really otaku moments in the humor detracted from the over-all show, but it still was surprisingly good. Definitely one of the nice little gems of last season.

cajunator

Banned

Its an underrated gem this season

necrosis

Revolutionary Girl Utena 07-09

Utena has an unexpected knack for animal-based humor. Surfing elephants are a special kind of amazing, one that shows that as much as the show is using its animated medium to express emotions that can't be conveyed except symbolically, it's also embracing the kind of wackiness that animation allows for so easily. Have you ever tried to teach an elephant to surf? It's not easy.

The stories with Juri and Saionji, however. Juri isn't
expelled
yet, and the end of her story was actually kind of heartwarming. I can barely recognize Mitsuishi in the role, given that I assume Usagi is her default voice, even though this is probably closer to her natural one. Episode 9 was the first time some hint about what was going on was given - and the student council, I can see how they influenced things like KLK again. Very much about order and rituals, following them near-blindly, those who disobey, this vague End of the World seems fit to knock down. That Utena got a ring despite being outside their system is clearly the catalyst for... something. Huge change in personality from how she was before, going by that flashback.

...was the second season of Minami-Ke trying to do a homage to Ikuhara's style and I wasn't aware of it? It came across as creepy rather than artistic there. Perhaps it's all in the directing.

juri is such a fantastic character imo

i cannot fault utena for many things, but not giving juri the exposure she deserves is one of them

the utena-klk parallels have always interested me: i saw ikuhara having influence not just on the existence & structure of the klk student council, but also on how some of its members are characterized

Quasar

Absolute Duo 9 - So after apparently being bored enough to read some of the novels last week, watching this felt all wrong, or maybe I'm just getting confused.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Comical Psychosomatic Medicine 3

Not nearly as amusing as Episode 1 or 2, but still passable (and 5 minutes total).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Even if Gunbuster was silly at times, it had a plot and an arc, especially for Noriko.

Diebuster is just nonsense piled upon more nonsense.

6 Buster Beams out of 10.

Thoraxes

WOuld you say Aldnoah or Cross ange is the more entertaining trainwreck? Should I just try to fit in both?

Cross Ange is easily the best in that regard.

Aldnoah isn't even half of Cross Ange's insanity. It's more like waiting for everyone to despair, so all their moves are hilarious because you know it's going to end bad.

Cross Ange starts out with Ange getting a forced
rectal probing
at the end of the first episode, coupled with tons of racism towards the non-mana using, subhuman trash known as norma.

Cross Ange actually gets a decent story too, even though the premise is ultimately stupid. There's a guy named Embryo. There's lesbians. There's a guy who always falls into the naked crotch of our beloved protagonist in a manner that nearly rivals Yuki Rito's prowess. There's CG mechs. There's mindbreaking. There's death. There's a woman named after a lizard. Every week is highly entertaining, each situation more ridiculous than the last, and you can't help but love the show for being goofy as hell sometimes, because it's easily one of the most entertaining shows this season on those dumb moments alone.

I like Cross Ange.

phaze

Even if Gunbuster was silly at times, it had a plot and an arc, especially for Noriko.

Nooooo

Lal'c arc>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Noriko arc (Did she even have one ? It's just your standard from zero to hero through h̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ nepotism)

The best ending in the history of endings alone makes it a 8,94 Inazuna Kicks out of 10.

Death Parade 3-6

God, this show is so fucking cool. There's an overall atmosphere to the thing that I feel like is really well done at times, it's able to use its warm color scheme and smooth, mellow soundtrack to capture perfectly the essence of that stereotypical uptown jazz bar feel. This being done particularly well in the bowling episode. But really what's impressed me the most is the author finding so many ways to keep this formula fresh. He's crafted a world and basic premise for the show that flexible enough to avoid stagnation while being able to drop little nuggets of information that imply the progression of a larger overarching plot. But it's that juggling between the scenarios of the different contestants, the methodology of each week's "game", as well as the slight "behind the scenes" looks into the arbiters and their own distinct personalities that has been the real highlight of the show up until this point. I almost feel like the first couple episodes do the show a serious disservice as they imply a much more melodramatic or gruesome tone to a series that's really gone out of its way to dispel those preconceived notions.

It's a hell of a lot of fun.

fertygo

Gunbuster is wonderful genre experiment, Diebuster is a one of Imaishi's work with same setup. Its entertaining, but no one remember it as #Gamechanger like Gunbuster was.

phaze

Hi, AnimeGAF! I'm Felix! I like anime! I hope we can be friends! Nice to meet all of you!

Attack on Titan 24

Starting with a flashback, are you kidding me?

Eren shut the fuck up you whiny piece of shit.

Get in
the damn Titan, Eren

Dat acrobatic shit

FOR FUCK SAKE DO IT

At least the last episode looks like it will be fun.

Okay that enough. See you in another month (probably), AnimeGAF.

Nice to meet you too ! Welcome to AnimeGaf !

Eren sure is annoying but at least when he gets
into the titan
he stops whining.
Parasyte 6

Dude is totally becoming Spider-man.

Shinichi looks pretty badass like this.

Well just tell him man. ffs.

Man, Maki-chan. You really want it.

Shit's so good.

All the members of Shinichi's harem are terrible characters.

Heero's all right. He's better than Setsuna F. Seiei in that he actually shows some emotions a lot more.

Do you want a legit great Gundam show? May I recommend G Gundam good sir?

I mean, look at this:

Best Gundam show ever made. It's practically up there with TTGL and Gunbuster as one of the great super robot shows.

It is on my radar but I think my next try will be ehhhh War in the Pocket ? Not sure if I think of the correct title here. The short, grounded and depressing one.

G Gundam is a long one and I'm not sure if the whole tournament thing is for me.
Finally caught GitS Arise on Netflix.

I have no idea what the fuck happened in Border 1 and can't find a synopsis anywhere.

Don't worry, I don't think I understood it either.

Boogiepop Phantom 05

Gradually, I've come to embrace and cherish the weird ass info dumps in shows like this one. They allow me to make some semblance of sense as to what in the name of God has happened up till this point. And here with the use of harrowing repetition, a tale of
artificial humans, murders and some secret ass Illuminatiesque society
has been spoon fed to me. I'm not quite sure how much to believe given the source of this story or how does Boogiepop come into it but I certainly' ve got a better handle on things now. With policeman, Kirima Nagi and the hospital stuff coming to the fore, I might just need to check the bits previous episodes again.

Thoraxes

Absolute Duo - 09

Like many other shows have recently done, we continue a new trend in anime this week. Instead of beach episodes for everyone, we now continue the new trend of
attempting to shoot up everyone in an attempt to annihilate them all. This is like the 4th show this week that everyone is getting shot to death by firing squads lol.

javac

I have everything except Pom Poko and Porco Rosso.
Nice, Porco Rosso is my favorite Miyazaki film (Not seen The Wind Rises yet *gasp*), so I had to buy that as soon as it was available to replace my aging DVD. I remember the first time I saw Porco, I literally fell in love with the soundtrack, like I was super emotional, couldn't sleep and felt the same way as I would if I had fallen in love with a girl. Haven't listened to it in a while, wonder if I was just delirious or if it still holds up. Sad I know...but I love that film :)

Pom Poko was an interesting one, still not sure if I liked it, or the trippyness of it all sent me out of whack, but I'd like to say that I liked it over all and found it endearing if anything. Awesome soundtrack too and a nice message.

I also have 5 UK BDs and 4 US ones. Not that many duplicates though. They are getting replaced eventually. Next batch should be Grave, Nausicaa, Laputa, and the Yamadas

I see that lone JP BD there on your collection, and it's not Only Yesterday. Takahata weeps.
Only Yesterday is my favorite Ghibli film, so please don't remind me that I don't own the Blu-ray as it makes me sad :( (I do have the DVD as well as Ocean Waves however!) That's next on my list, after Kaguya gets a release in the UK. I don't know if they'll release Only Yesterday on Blu-ray in the UK, maybe along with Kaguya with a UK release of the amazing Takahata box-set perhaps?

I love both, Gunbuster is my favorite show of all time, tied with the Patlabor series, but I really enjoyed Diebuster too. I watched it all in one sitting, and man the ending had me sobbing.

Phew a lot of talk about my favorites! :p

Narag

Lal'C's character arc is immensely satisfying, so much so that I ended up believing that Nono was actually a false protagonist.

Moaradin

Diebuster is pretty good. It's not as good as Gunbuster, but it had a pretty impossible task of following it up, and it did a decent job at it.

Theonik

Only Yesterday is my favorite Ghibli film, so please don't remind me that I don't own the Blu-ray as it makes me sad :( (I do have the DVD as well as Ocean Waves however!) That's next on my list, after Kaguya gets a release in the UK. I don't know if they'll release Only Yesterday on Blu-ray in the UK, maybe along with Kaguya with a UK release of the amazing Takahata box-set perhaps?
Only yesterday has been screwed over western releases for years. If you'd chosen to get one JP BD it would be your best bet. lol
Might get a UK BD sooner rather than later. US people are kinda fucked though.
Edit: clarity

javac

Only yesterday has been screwed over western releases for years. If you'd chosen to get one JP BD it would be your best bet. lol
Might get one sooner rather than later though. US people are kinda fucked though.

Yeah I've always had my mind set on importing it anyways, so I have no qualms in regards to double dipping if it does come out in the UK too, being the best Ghibli film and all that :p Plus the fact that Only Yesterday never got a dub means that I'm not missing out on anything feature wise one would assume. I plan to buy all of the Japanese Blu-rays eventually, in due time!

Jintor

Yeah the really otaku moments in the humor detracted from the over-all show, but it still was surprisingly good. Definitely one of the nice little gems of last season.

nearly threw it out the window when crossdressing lil bro turned up but jesus what a ride

real turning point was the episode they take care of the niece for the day. fantastic after that.

cajunator

Banned
Cross Ange is easily the best in that regard.

Aldnoah isn't even half of Cross Ange's insanity. It's more like waiting for everyone to despair, so all their moves are hilarious because you know it's going to end bad.

Cross Ange starts out with Ange getting a forced
rectal probing
at the end of the first episode, coupled with tons of racism towards the non-mana using, subhuman trash known as norma.

Cross Ange actually gets a decent story too, even though the premise is ultimately stupid. There's a guy named Embryo. There's lesbians. There's a guy who always falls into the naked crotch of our beloved protagonist in a manner that nearly rivals Yuki Rito's prowess. There's CG mechs. There's mindbreaking. There's death. There's a woman named after a lizard. Every week is highly entertaining, each situation more ridiculous than the last, and you can't help but love the show for being goofy as hell sometimes, because it's easily one of the most entertaining shows this season on those dumb moments alone.

I like Cross Ange.

Well Im sold. thanks BEAR :)

Theonik

Yeah I've always had my mind set on importing it anyways, so I have no qualms in regards to double dipping if it does come out in the UK too, being the best Ghibli film and all that :p Plus the fact that Only Yesterday never got a dub means that I'm not missing out on anything feature wise one would assume. I plan to buy all of the Japanese Blu-rays eventually, in due time!
All, or at least almost all the JP BDs have all the dubs included anyway. The Castle in the Sky one is also the only one that has proper subtitles and both the Eng Dub AND the dub soundtrack. (US had dubtitles and the dub + original OST, JP has real subs plus 2 versions of the eng sound)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't think I've ever had a Japanese anime BD from anyone which hasn't been happy to work on a Zone B player. Makes me wonder if there's anything which is actually Zone A only...

American stuff in the big annoyance, which is why I didn't import YuruYuri in the end. :/

Theonik

American stuff in the big annoyance, which is why I didn't import YuruYuri in the end. :/
I blame Japan and leech UK companies who only repackage other people's releases.
The UK anime business is pretty sad for the most part then again so is most of the west.
If only everything out of Japan had subs I'd get much less motivation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom