• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need both arts, Momo just as good as Sharkbait.
B_NGfGgWoAAbhb4.png:large

Narag

Going through old tweets of that kickstarter sure is something.

and reddit posts

5 months ago
Just some explanation, the guys working on this new series are Ex Toei Animation Members. They worked in the past at the biggest series like Dragonball, One Piece, Gaiking, Pretty Cure, Kitaro, Digimon, Pokemon, magical doremi, Dr slump, Saint Seya, Yugioh and many many others. Pls check our Facebook page for more info and feel free to ask all you want here . Thx for listening

Shergal

I don't understand why people hate on Diebuster for not being Gunbuster.

Rather, we should hate on Diebuster for not being FLCL.

Jarmel

Banned
In Gunbuster, they built a bomb to destroy the galactic core.

Diebuster doesn't even come close to the amount of "fuck it, we'll do it live" reached in Gunbuster.

Didn't they rip open a blackhole in Die? That's like the epitome of "wtf?!?".

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Idolm@ster TV series and Movie-fin
Idol shows have never been one of my genres of interest however I still decided to watch the show as I feel I need to broaden my viewing tastes (also I’m running out of decent mecha shows to watch).
Well you now know what show you should watch next akukukukuku.

It's Xenoglossia if it wasn't obvious.

2014 Fall Preliminary First Volume Sales

13,076 *4 Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road [BD+DVD]
11,610 *9 Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru [BD+DVD] 
11,515 *9 Shirobako [BD]
10,534 *6 Gundam G no Reconguista [BD+DVD] 
---------- 10k Line ----------
*9,844 *1 Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso [BD+DVD] 
*9,257 *7 Psycho-Pass S2 [BD+DVD] 
*9,180 *6 Crossange Tenshi to Ryuu no Rinbu [BD+DVD] 
*8,374 *6 Amagi Brilliant Park [BD+DVD]
*7,180 *2 Nanatsu no Taizai [BD+DVD] 
*5,360 *4 Gugure! Kokkuri-san [BD+DVD] 
*4,648 *5 Grisaia no Kajitsu [BD+DVD] 
*4,165 *4 Trinity Seven [BD+DVD] 
*3,718 *4 Madan no Ou to Vanadis [BD+DVD] 
*3,612 *3 Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis [BD]
*3,428 *2 Mushishi Zokushou S2 [BD+DVD]
*3,247 *2 Donten ni Warau [BD-Box/DVD-Box]
*3,184 *4 Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu. [BD+DVD] 
*3,175 *4 Girlfriend (Kari) [BD+DVD]
---------- Manabi Line (2,899) ----------
*2,636 *2 Log Horizon S2 [BD+DVD]
*2,500 *1 Selector Spread WIXOSS [BD+DVD]
*1,922 *3 Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de [BD] 
*1,882 *2 Terraformars [BD+DVD]
*1,854 *2 Sora no Method [BD]
*1,541 *3 Ai Tenchi Muyo! [BD+DVD]
*1,294 *2 Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken [BD+DVD]
*1,188 *2 Hi☆sCoool! Seha Girls [BD]  
*1,114 *2 Hitsugi no Chaika Avenging Battle [BD]
**,956 *2 Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai [BD]  
**,746 *1 Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji [BD+DVD] 
**,622 *1 Denkigai no Honya-san [BD]  
**,464 *1 Gundam Build Fighters Try [BD-BOX+DVD] 
**,419 *1 Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete [BD]
**,378 *1 Garo -Honoo no Kokuin- [BD]

Bolded are updated numbers

Shigatsu and WIXOSS are this weeks newest entries.

Garo was from last week.

someanithing said:
Kimiuso v1 sells 7348/2496, total 9,844. This will indeed be a 10k v1. Mostly the half price volume plus event ticket at work, but even if it drops a lot this is still much better than initially expected. Huge underestimation (67% DVD, 64% BD), Aniplex underestimation at work. Thankfully this is one of the last titles that applies to.

Wixoss s2 v1 sells 2,500 BDs, DVDs do not rank. Assuming it won’t have the long tail (14 wks!) s1 did, this is in for a bit of a tumble. Still, if maybe 250 DVDs in the extended and another another 500 BDs coming, should get to around 3,250. But s1v1 did 4,866.

Winter sales

someanithing said:
Drrr S2 v1 sells 3228/2557, total 5,785 RIP. Sub-6k wk1 with an event ticket for what was a 18k series. Previous v1 sold 29k. 17 discs of free-fall to go

Next week will have Saenai as the next winter release.

Source

javac

The music video part is optional I guess. I'm referring more to the 10/10 everything else.

FLCL is an experimental story about adolescence, sex, growing up and how everything adults do is weird, at least from the eyes of somebody who is going through puberty. Diebuster is a follow up to a 6 episode 1988 OVA about effort and guts, time dilation, giant robots doing flying kicks in space and is fixated on telling an actual story while FLCL is all about being stylish and again, experimental. Its not hard to see how it (Diebuster) turned out nothing like FLCL :p FLCL is all about the journey while Diebuster hinges on the destination.

cajunator

Banned
Alot of things aren't out in UK.

However, I was pleasantly surprised to see ToraDora !! Localised after I lost hope in getting it here.

Now i know what my next purchase is gonna be.

Yeah Toradora is one of those must haves. I think that show was a given for every territory to get or there would be riots.

Got some stuff today:

:D
I need to get Patema Inverted. Somehow.

Awesome pick-ups! The only thing there that I don't own, and haven't seen for that matter is Giovanni's Island but it looks really interesting, its about post war relationships in that region right?

I actually bought ALBW the day it came out but still haven't even opened it yet lmao. Paprika is an awesome film, the soundtrack is a blast. Not my favorite Satoshi Kon film, but it's actually really deep when you look into it, and it's full of his trademark scene transitions. Whisper of the Heart is equal with Only Yesterday as the best Ghibli film imo, and in fact one of my favorite films bar none...and GITS is GITS...which is to say its awesome! A shame that the steelbook is bare-bones but it still looks awesome :p

Awesome pick ups, any of these going to be a first watch for you by any chance? Also, is that space in the middle of your pic like one of these blank silhouettes in fighting games, and we have to unlock what goes there? :p
Or the more reasonable thing, which is to avoid the flash from the camera :p

thats a neat little trick to avoid flash. I will try it.

Nope. Not yet! Only Satoshi Kon movie I've watched so far is Tokyo Godfathers.

Millennium Actress!!!!!
Its so good. Even Jexhius approves of it.

I really have been forgotten ;_;

True, but he's still 2edgy

Hey, I never forgot you! ;)

Even if Gunbuster was silly at times, it had a plot and an arc, especially for Noriko.

Diebuster is just nonsense piled upon more nonsense.

6 Buster Beams out of 10.

Diebuster is one of those sequels that just doesn't need to exist. I haven't seen it, because I was so satisfied with the way the first one ended. From the various responses I've heard about it though, it thankfully doesn't seem to do anything like Madoka Rebellion or Eureka Seven AO, so that's always a plus. So maybe I'll get to it one day when I'm really craving some super robot action.

Shin Mazinger Z 3-5

Well, it's hitting all the regular plot points that I would expect. Not that that's a bad thing, since it does it well.

Soon it will be hitting the plot points that I bet you certainly won't be expecting. :)

It is on my radar but I think my next try will be ehhhh War in the Pocket ? Not sure if I think of the correct title here. The short, grounded and depressing one.

G Gundam is a long one and I'm not sure if the whole tournament thing is for me.

War in the Pocket is indeed amazing and is another one of the best Gundam shows out there.

The whole tournament thing isn't as bad as you think it is, and the show's moreso about the characters rather than the tournament itself.

I'm already on Gundam X.

:(

Edit:Ooops, I seem to be implying Gundam X is decent.

lol

The most boring Gundam show out there and yet it has one of my favourite Gundam mechs in the franchise.

Shirobako just barely behind Yuki Yuna. That power of magical girl anime!

faridmon

Your both legends! Thank you so very much!!!

Yeah, that :p

If you like Golgo 13, you will love this one, but I never liked dark mature takes on human psychology so, there you go.

Yeah Toradora is one of those must haves. I think that show was a given for every territory to get or there would be riots.

It was released last year, Riots should have started long time ago!
Anyway, better late than never.

I freaking Love Toradora!

Jex

[Dirty Pair OVA] - 3

I'm not sure who the director for this episode was but their work certainly stands out. Really reduced colour scheme (red and blue/black), heavy use of internal framing, reflections and some nice animation as well:

There's also some awesome background art as well:

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Parasyte

There's a weird disconnect between being told the parasites are cold, logical beings since they can't figure out that setting up a Parasite Illuminati to eat people is a fucking terrible idea that's going to get them all shot.

**,378 *1 Garo -Honoo no Kokuin- [BD]

I will have to buy Garo, why Leon and Alfonso have to get the worst sales of the Fall. I think even cfvanguard sold more and world trigger may sell more even...

Will also be getting DRRR! thought it was more popular than these numbers in JPN, its one of the best LN adaptations, and LNs.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V 45
B_NbSkTU8AAaLD2.png:large

Liking this Yuuya-oniichan. The dark colors and his smile is incredibly intense. The way the people are frightened at him being able to take the hounds direct attacks and bounce back up was fun. I think I heard the best dragon in the preview for next episode, so hype. We havent seen him in weeks!

Tuck

Dog Days - Season 1
Ok, lets ignore the fan service. Lets ignore the occasionally questionable character designs. Lets ignore the fact that the main character had absolutely no depth to him.

Ignoring all that, Dog Days could have been a pretty good show.

The world they created is surprisingly unique. The idea of battles between nations for fun was really endearing. Its not something I've seen before. Things like battles having announcers, or the way people get turned into cat balls when they "die" in battle was all really fun and silly. The problem was that we barely get to see it. I feel like they really only scratched the surface of this world. They sent Sink home way too early, and devoted several episodes to this hamfisted melodrama that you know is ultimately meaningless because of course they wouldn't end the season with Sink unable to get back. And thats part of the reason I don't like the "Hero from another world" trope because eventually you have to spend time sending him home. But that would be ok if Sink had been there for more than a couple weeks. Sink has been there such a short time that I honestly don't believe every character liked and loved him that much. I didn't buy that the relationships he formed with everyone were real. They seemed so superficial. The only character interactions that worked were between the two princesses and between Sink and Eclair.

Its a shame they ended the main plot so soon - it felt like they were building towards something for the first half of the season, and they were. But then they resolved it way too early and way too easily, just throwing away all that work they did to get me excited for the resolution. It could have been a great jumping off point to go on more adventures through this world. It could have been exciting and dramatic. Instead it was just... nothing.

I'm debating whether I should watch season 2. There were good bits to this show. But they just tossed it all aside for a cheesy, emotionless melodrama. And they failed to build Sink up as an actual character. And you know, fan service garbage.

C-.

Dog Days - Season 1
Ok, lets ignore the fan service. Lets ignore the occasionally questionable character designs. Lets ignore the fact that the main character had absolutely no depth to him.

Ignoring all that, Dog Days could have been a pretty good show.

The world they created is surprisingly unique. The idea of battles between nations for fun was really endearing. Its not something I've seen before. Things like battles having announcers, or the way people get turned into cat balls when they "die" in battle was all really fun and silly. The problem was that we barely get to see it. I feel like they really only scratched the surface of this world. They sent Sink home way too early, and devoted several episodes to this hamfisted melodrama that you know is ultimately meaningless because of course they wouldn't end the season with Sink unable to get back. And thats part of the reason I don't like the "Hero from another world" trope because eventually you have to spend time sending him home. But that would be ok if Sink had been there for more than a couple weeks. Sink has been there such a short time that I honestly don't believe every character liked and loved him that much. I didn't buy that the relationships he formed with everyone were real. They seemed so superficial. The only character interactions that worked were between the two princesses and between Sink and Eclair.

Its a shame they ended the main plot so soon - it felt like they were building towards something for the first half of the season, and they were. But then they resolved it way too early and way too easily, just throwing away all that work they did to get me excited for the resolution. It could have been a great jumping off point to go on more adventures through this world. It could have been exciting and dramatic. Instead it was just... nothing.

I'm debating whether I should watch season 2. There were good bits to this show. But they just tossed it all aside for a cheesy, emotionless melodrama. And they failed to build Sink up as an actual character. And you know, fan service garbage.

C-.

Dog Days is the ultimate cheesy I-need-a-break-from-everything type of anime. S2 is basically all fillers and full of fun fights and ridiculous fan service.

I do agree that they should have done more with the concept and the world.

You should watch the "Isao Takahata and His Tale of the Princess Kaguya" documentary. I don't think it'll directly answer your question here, but it should give you a bit more insight into it, besides being an excellent behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film.

Will do. That and Kingdom of Dreams and Madness is on my watch list.

Dog Days is the ultimate cheesy I-need-a-break-from-everything type of anime. S2 is basically all fillers and full of fun fights and ridiculous fan service.

I do agree that they should have done more with the concept and the world.

Will do. That and Kingdom of Dreams and Madness is on my watch list.

Well it's what they are doing with Season 3

Midonin

Revolutionary Girl Utena 10-12

Here I was thinking Touga probably had some good in him - he does like cats, after all - but given how he took Anthy for himself, and then ignored her even when he had her, I have to question that. What he said about Anthy being whatever the person who "owns" her wants to be seems to be true, but perhaps Utena really was drawing out the part of her that had never gotten to express itself. I know this is one of Ikuhara's first big expressions of yuri, and this relationship, that's the crux of the series, really shows that.

Nanami's turn as a duelist was surprisingly short lived. The duels themselves feel like they're from another show separate from the school comedy happening a few levels below, to say nothing of the chorus and the lyrics they're chanting. It does make sense, and as long as it makes sense in a "death of the author" sort of way too, which by all accounts Ikuhara encourages, then I should be fine. Symbolism is about knowledge, but it's also about what the viewer puts into it, and I'm ready to put forth the abstract thought required to "solve" it, if art is something you can solve outside of mystery stories.

If art is.

Tomorrow, more art, linked by the same producer.

I just finished Michiko to Hatchin last night.

According to one of about the information on nosebleeds I assume
Hatchin had sexual feelings for Michiko? It seemed kind of random
I didn't really care for the ending.

Whats the deal with Yuuki Yuuna? I watched the first couple episodes and was bored to tears.
You don't like the calm before the storm ?

Yep. I'm really enjoying this season.
Indeed the world building in S3 was nothing short of awesome.

The newest Queen, Ladies and Gentleman.

Shame they left out (amongst other things) what Tigre's newest title actually implies.

That part made me chuckle over how the King gave him his full approval.

"it's a shame" is the perfect summmary of the vanadis anime.

In a perfect world , vanadis would have been 26 eps , with no cuts and with the budget necessary for the battles that were within.

But ..reality is harsh ..

Yeah.

I'm just sad there wont be a S2. But then I say that about so many shows based on an existing property.

Not sad , better stop before you go too far.

---------------
Nanatsu no taizai - 03,04,05

Nanatsu%20no%20Taizai%20-%2005.jpg

yeah , that's right ! don't forget him !!

After getting hyped by episode 2, i was very happy that the fight in episode 3 actually delivered on the promise of a fun fight.
The consequences of that fight in ep 4 were actualy very good. and i like where this is going .

So far the fights are ok and much enjoyable ... and i'm still unable to properly decipher the powerlevel all of those characters.

So this anime is great .

Tuck

Maoyu - Episode 2
I shouldn't have started this anime. Apparently it only adapts the first light novel (of five, plus 3 side stories). But... I'm enjoying it so far. Definitely reminds me of Log Horizon. Pretty sure one or two of the Voice Actors are the same, in fact.

Soma

Maoyu - Episode 2
I shouldn't have started this anime. Apparently it only adapts the first light novel (of five, plus 3 side stories). But... I'm enjoying it so far. Definitely reminds me of Log Horizon. Pretty sure one or two of the Voice Actors are the same, in fact.

Just read the manga instead. It's gud.

Tuck

Does the manga cover the whole story?

You're getting me excited lol. Unless the series shits the bed, I'd like to see it through (I imagine itll be good since its from the Log Horizon guy)

Maoyu - Episode 2

Seconding this , switch to the manga
Does the manga cover the whole story?

You're getting me excited lol. Unless the series shits the bed, I'd like to see it through (I imagine itll be good since its from the Log Horizon guy)

The series get even better , so don't worry about that , unless i've missed something the manga is not finished yet.

There is plenty of material to droll on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom