• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

All, or at least almost all the JP BDs have all the dubs included anyway. The Castle in the Sky one is also the only one that has proper subtitles and both the Eng Dub AND the dub soundtrack. (US had dubtitles and the dub + original OST, JP has real subs plus 2 versions of the eng sound)

Yeah Laputa was a weird one with the audio. This is the comparison between the Japanese, US and UK/AU Blu-ray releases:

JP:
Japanese DTS-HD MA 2.0 @ 1732 kbps
English DD 2.0 @ 640 kbps (2003 full-orchestra re-score but with the additional dialogue + newer sound effects removed)
UK/AU:
Japanese LPCM 2.0 @ 1536 kbps
English LPCM 5.1 @ 4608 kbps (2003 re-score but with the additional dialogue + newer sound effects removed)
US:
Japanese DTS-HD MA 2.0 @ 2098 kbps
English DTS-HD MA 5.1-ES @ 3685 kbps (2010 version - original score, no script changes)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I still cant believe that series isnt out in UK.

Well All The Anime seems to be the only company putting some effort into UK release and YrYr doesn't seem to be their kind of show.

Also if I recall the American release, at least for the second series, is hard subbed. While I'll usually always watch with subtitles on, I'd prefer the option to be able to turn them off if I so wished, e.g. taking a screencap.

sonicmj1

Die vs Gun, is also Anno vs Imaishi, old Gainax vs neo Gainax.

Imaishi was just an animator for Diebuster. That was directed by the same man who directed FLCL, Kazuya Tsurumaki.

Anyway, even though FLCL may be my favorite show, I still like Gunbuster more than Diebuster for pretty much the same reasons that Haly said. I also love Gunbuster's sense of optimism about the future of mankind and its ability to solve the problems facing it through technology and cooperation, a feeling I don't really get from its sequel.

Theonik

Well All The Anime seems to be the only company putting some effort into UK release and YrYr doesn't seem to be their kind of show.

Also if I recall the American release, at least for the second series, is hard subbed. While I'll usually always watch with subtitles on, I'd prefer the option to be able to turn them off if I so wished, e.g. taking a screencap.
Was it hardsubbed? Most western anime I have are programmatic hardsubs.
IE you cannot disable the subs in a real player but they are not part of the video and you can get around it on a PC.

Yeah Laputa was a weird one with the audio. This is the comparison between the Japanese, US and UK/AU Blu-ray releases:
Still have no idea how this came to be. US also doesn't have real English subs which was bizarre when Japan got real subs.

Was it hardsubbed? Most western anime I have are programmatic hardsubs.
IE you cannot disable the subs in a real player but they are not part of the video and you can get around it on a PC.

They're not hardsubbed, no. I haven't tested Yuruyuri, but I turned the HanaIro subs off when I last watched it on the HTPC and that's an NIS release.

javac

Still have no idea how this came to be. US also doesn't have real English subs which was bizarre when Japan got real subs.

Yeah it's weird. I think I'm correct in saying that the Disney 2003 DVD release has the proper literal translations as well as a SDH dubtitle track and both the English and Japanese credit sequences, while the 2010 US DVD only has English SDH dubtitles. The US Blu-ray has two tracks, but both are identical (SDH dubtitles, but one with captioned sound effects and only has the English credit sequence.

fertygo

Imaishi was just an animator for Diebuster. That was directed by the same man who directed FLCL, Kazuya Tsurumaki.

Anyway, even though FLCL may be my favorite show, I still like Gunbuster more than Diebuster for pretty much the same reasons that Haly said. I also love Gunbuster's sense of optimism about the future of mankind and its ability to solve the problems facing it through technology and cooperation, a feeling I don't really get from its sequel.

Oh shit, I always thought its Imaishi directed product.

Again, Diebuster never felt as ambitious to me, make it straightforward and far more simple made it seem missing the point of what Gunbuster accomplished.
That made it worth for making anniversary project from it.

Gunbuster is huge experiment with heavy reference to Ace wo Nerae which is shoujo drama show for template as mecha show, plus with unique sci-fi element as light-time travel that became huge element in the plot made it very memorable. Diebuster on other hand is just about alien invader, the story and execution itself seem very run-of-the-mill and been done again and again.

I guess that simplicity is part that made people can prefer Diebuster, but for myself Gunbuster is greatly unique experience that I can always revisit because there's nothing like it.

javac

Man I love the way shows like Ace wo Nerae look visually, and I always loved the idea of a show about Tennis. I might end up watching this. I toyed with the idea a few years ago, but I guess I lacked (and still do) the faith in the notion of such an old show being emotionally engaging. I love the old stuff a million times more than the new stuff, without a shadow of a doubt, but Ace wo Nerae being a 26 episode 1973 show had me lacking trust I guess.
qIsgewr.jpg

lTrLMql.jpg

x9YJNk3.jpg

ZgeGiRt.jpg
The visuals pull me in tho, its like anime tie-dye lol. Love it, especially compared to most current day stuff. which make me want to barf.

cajunator

Banned
Man I love the way shows like Ace wo Nerae look visually, and I always loved the idea of a show about Tennis. I might end up watching this. I toyed with the idea a few years ago, but I guess I lacked (and still do) the faith in the notion of such an old show being emotionally engaging. I love the old stuff a million times more than the new stuff, without a shadow of a doubt, but Ace wo Nerae being a 26 episode 1973 show had me lacking trust I guess.

The visuals pull me in tho, its like anime tie-dye lol. Love it, especially compared to most current day stuff. which make me want to barf.

Shows today just feel really sterile. They lack life. Old anime literally seemed to breathe.

Theonik

Ace wo Nerae is a pretty great outing by Dezaki, the problem is the sequel seasons never got subbed which isn't that big a deal.
I'd also suggest you watch the movie as well for an interesting retelling of the story.

Jarmel

Banned
I think I've already stated it but my opinion on Die vs Gun is that the products are so dissimilar that it makes it hard to compare the two. It would be like comparing Gurren Lagann to Evangelion. Not only are the themes different but the presentation and direction are so wildly dissimilar that it becomes an 'apples and oranges' type of situation. Gun is more of a hard scifi work (despite some comedy bits like the robots doing pushups) while Die is science fantasy.

Now on a personal level, I prefer Die over Gun because of how weak the intro episodes for Gun are. The first three episodes for Gun really aren't a compelling watch for me either on a visual front or anything thematically. Die on the other hand is a fun watch all the way through even if it's missing some of the higher level themes that Gun had. I also would agree that Lal'C's character arc is very satisfying and I actually preferred it to Noriko in Gun who really just got stuff handed to her.

javac

Shows today just feel really sterile. They lack life. Old anime literally seemed to breathe.
Yeah no doubt. There's a lot of good stuff today too, but most of it isn't in the foreground and you seem to have to dig deep in order to find them. Everyone always goes on and on about how the old stuff was amazing and I know many people find the whole thing to be boring and done to death already, but for me it's the truth. It felt like animators weren't afraid of dreaming back then, like they had something to look forward too. Maybe it was the limiting aspect of it all back then budget and scope wise that forced people to think outside the box but it's like a switch was flicked one day and everyone gave up. It's why Kaguya has me smiling from ear to ear just looking at the art-style. So called "good looking shows" today look like dog crap to me, but luckily that's not always the case and it doesn't seem to be a universal rule. I actually loved the way Aku no Hana looked for example.

Ace wo Nerae is a pretty great outing by Dezaki, the problem is the sequel seasons never got subbed which isn't that big a deal.
I'd also suggest you watch the movie as well for an interesting retelling of the story.
Thanks, I appreciate somebody who is acquainted with the series giving me some info on it. I think I'll watch it very soon, really does look straight up my alley. I really love finding something and having this excitement run through your body at the notion of watching it, like electricity. It’s a nice feeling :)

fertygo

I think I've already stated it but my opinion on Die vs Gun is that the products are so dissimilar that it makes it hard to compare the two. It would be like comparing Gurren Lagann to Evangelion. Not only are the themes different but the presentation and direction are so wildly dissimilar that it becomes an 'apples and oranges' type of situation. Gun is more of a hard scifi work (despite some comedy bits like the robots doing pushups) while Die is science fantasy.

Now on a personal level, I prefer Die over Gun because of how weak the intro episodes for Gun are. The first three episodes for Gun really aren't a compelling watch for me either on a visual front or anything thematically. Die on the other hand is a fun watch all the way through even if it's missing some of the higher level themes that Gun had. I also would agree that Lal'C's character arc is very satisfying and I actually preferred it to Noriko in Gun who really just got stuff handed to her.
Eps 2 of Gun is really underrated especially the 2nd half, its really standing out to me in my recent rewatch.. the directing is really on-point for that evacuation scene. Its became one of my top three eps of Gunbuster now. too bad I never made post about it that I actually plan to do at that time.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Arjuna is for real

real garbage

Also , don't drop Blood-C , you're not ready for the next episodes .

Lol thats amazing. So she is even more unhinged now?

Also Felix is approaching critical mass with BloodC and Arjuna. I hope he's ready.

But garbage is against nature, you nature rapist. That would make Arjuna opposed to itself! Woah.

God man, my body isn't ready at all.

Yeah the really otaku moments in the humor detracted from the over-all show, but it still was surprisingly good. Definitely one of the nice little gems of last season.

Its an underrated gem this season

Seriously. Like the first four episodes or so were just wacky hijinks and manzi humor, but then it starts to get more emotional/serious, just a tiny bit, and does it well, which then opens the door for them to try to do a little bit more, and then a little bit more. Until you're totally okay with it and then realize how deft they are at weaving such a great relationship. That last episode was glorious.

Nice to meet you too ! Welcome to AnimeGaf !

Eren sure is annoying but at least when he gets
into the titan
he stops whining.

I really have been forgotten ;_;

True, but he's still 2edgy

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Talking of subtitles vs dubtitles. It can be annoying when a release with subtitles doesn't also include dubtitles. What if you want to watch the English soundtrack with subtitles? You don't want mismatching words. Cowboy Bebop BD seems to suffer from this.

javac

Got some stuff today:

Awesome pick-ups! The only thing there that I don't own, and haven't seen for that matter is Giovanni's Island but it looks really interesting, its about post war relationships in that region right?

I actually bought ALBW the day it came out but still haven't even opened it yet lmao. Paprika is an awesome film, the soundtrack is a blast. Not my favorite Satoshi Kon film, but it's actually really deep when you look into it, and it's full of his trademark scene transitions. Whisper of the Heart is equal with Only Yesterday as the best Ghibli film imo, and in fact one of my favorite films bar none...and GITS is GITS...which is to say its awesome! A shame that the steelbook is bare-bones but it still looks awesome :p

Awesome pick ups, any of these going to be a first watch for you by any chance? Also, is that space in the middle of your pic like one of these blank silhouettes in fighting games, and we have to unlock what goes there? :p
Or the more reasonable thing, which is to avoid the flash from the camera :p

Absolute duo - 09

Bunny teacher without her limiter is GREAT ..

So Great .

Tor and julie fight was quite good and well animated .. i'm actully impressed because that fight was well done.

Julie
berserk mode in particular was excellent

And useless girl is useless but this time she makes DUMB decisions..damn the things an anime does to make a character revelant ...

This still sticks with me on how dumb she is. Her decisions literally make no fucking sense.

Sailor Moon R 40

Oh, right. Those characters are still around.

And this episode gets a bit sad. Is it weird that I felt more sad for Saphir than Chibi-Usa? :p

Hm... Guess not much of this will happen in Crystal? Since
they're already dead and such...

Awesome pick-ups! The only thing there that I don't own, and haven't seen for that matter is Giovanni's Island but it looks really interesting, its about post war relationships in that region right?

I actually bought ALBW the day it came out but still haven't even opened it yet lmao. Paprika is an awesome film, the soundtrack is a blast. Not my favorite Satoshi Kon film, but it's actually really deep when you look into it, and it's full of his trademark scene transitions. Whisper of the Heart is equal with Only Yesterday as the best Ghibli film imo, and in fact one of my favorite films bar none...and GITS is GITS...which is to say its awesome! A shame that the steelbook is bare-bones but it still looks awesome :p

Awesome pick ups, any of these going to be a first watch for you by any chance?

Not even sure what Giovanni's Island is about, just bought it. I got them on sale, so why not. ;)

Already seen Whisper of the Heart and Laputa. And GitS like... uh... 15 years ago, so don't remember much of it :p

javac

Not even sure what Giovanni's Island is about, just bought it. I got them on sale, so why not. ;)

Already seen Whisper of the Heart and Laputa. And GitS like... uh... 15 years ago, so don't remember much of it :p
Giovanni's Island is supposed to be good, so I hope you enjoy it! Blind buys that end up being good are the best types of buys! :p GITS is awesome, complete with the standard Oshii monologue on a boat (Patlabor The Movie anybody? :p). I take it you haven't seen Paprika then? Hope you enjoy that too! :) The main theme will probably get stuck in your head for the rest of the week, so prepare yourself for that :p

I take it you haven't seen Paprika then? Hope you enjoy that too! :) The main theme will probably get stuck in your head for the rest of the week, so prepare yourself for that :p

Nope. Not yet! Only Satoshi Kon movie I've watched so far is Tokyo Godfathers.

javac

Nope. Not yet! Only Satoshi Kon movie I've watched so far is Tokyo Godfathers.

You've got some awesome films ahead of you then! Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress and phenomenal, and Paprika is awesome too of course :p Great soundtrack too, but that's no surprise (Susumu Hirasawa :D!)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Lal'C was kind of schizo. I liked her at the start (hnngh, kuudere brown girls) but later on she became a horrifying mixture of Kazumi, Jung, and Noriko.

Nonoriri turned into Ryuko.

Also the thing with Diebuster is that a lot of "stuff" happened off screen so you just had to take their word for it. Apparently Lal'C and Nono became best best friends before she got NTR'd, but we never saw any of that.

What I liked about Gunbuster was even with the time dilation and passage of time, we saw everything we needed to see to understand how the characters were behaving on screen. Both Kimiko and Kishihara made sense because we were viewing them from the perspective of Noriko, who has only experienced a few months of the war while they have been living for decades. Subtle touches like that made Gunbuster so good.

Oh also the whole Topless thing is just bizarre. Gunbuster was more subdued in its Patlabor -> Gokaiger progression, whereas Diebuster started as FLCL and became... uuuh. Something.

Last addendum: The supporting characters in Gunbuster felt like real people. Coach had a thing he wanted to do, a grudge against the space monsters. Tatsumi was leading like a commander should. Smith Toren was just a laid back, kind hearted jobber.

Nicola? Psycho.
Tycho? Psycho.
Casio? Jobber.
Twins? Psycho.
Glasses guy? Jobber.
Tatsumi look-alike? Jobber.

Jex

Talking of subtitles vs dubtitles. It can be annoying when a release with subtitles doesn't also include dubtitles. What if you want to watch the English soundtrack with subtitles? You don't want mismatching words. Cowboy Bebop BD seems to suffer from this.

BD's just don't have the ROOM for all those text files. We'll need a new disc, like HoloBD to fit all that in.
Lal'C was kind of schizo. I liked her at the start (hnngh, kuudere brown girls) but later on she became a horrifying mixture of Kazumi, Jung, and Noriko.

Also the thing with Diebuster is that a lot of "stuff" happened off screen so you just had to take their word for it. Apparently Lal'C and Nono became best best friends before she got NTR'd, but we never saw any of that.

What I liked about Gunbuster was even with the time dilation and passage of time, we saw everything we needed to see to understand how the characters were behaving on screen. Both Kimiko and Kishihara made sense because we were viewing them from the perspective of Noriko, who has only experienced a few months of the war while they have been living for decades. Subtle touches like that made Gunbuster so good.

Oh also the whole Topless thing is just bizarre. Gunbuster was more subdued in its Patlabor -> Gokaiger progression, whereas Diebuster started as FLCL and became... uuuh. Something.
I pretty much agree with you there. There's a lot of stuff that the viewer just has to accept without even seeing, like the entire Topless organisation for one thing. I really think a more interesting series would have been one that focused on that organisation and fleshed out all the quirky characters who work there. Diebuster really suffers from some really inconsistent characterisation, which hinders my ability to enjoy the story.

It's been a few years since I wrote about the series but my thoughts are unchanged since this post.

GA 13 (aka the OVA)

That artstyle change! ;P

There's textile fashion class with a strict teacher and Kisaragi helps everybody out with errands.

So, it started out pretty bad and then there were some episodes where things seemed to improve, but then it just got boring. The humor doesn't really work and without that what is there?

Well.. There's the characters where some of the main group ones just feels like they've been badly copied from Azumanga with some minor changes. The fine arts club characters seemed more interesting than the main characters at first, but they also got a bit boring by the end.

Some of the episodes have some basic art info you can learn, but it's not really a reason to keep watching.

The music is a bit like the music in travel commercials or video games that's about places with blue skies and white beaches.

This is definitively no Hidamari Sketch. Too bad. 1.5/5 works of art for this one:
ThN1xVK.png
pQt2iv2.png
N9Ul2pc.png
xD9aGCr.png
zzb1qro.png

javac

You mean Nono right? Nonoriri is (Gunbuster and Diebuster End Spoilers):
Noriko. Nono couldn't remember her name since she was pretty much the stuff of legends, being a story 12,000 years in the making and all that, so Nono would mispronounce Noriko as Nonoriri, which is the twist at the end.

Gunbuster is my favorite show of all time, but yeah I really enjoyed Diebuster, even-though I went into it pessimistically since it looks like Uguu Moe garbage I hate...but I ended up liking it in the end. The soundtrack borrows a lot from Gunbuster to say the least (Which is my favorite OST bar none alongside the GOAT Patlabor OST) but I really loved it, and the sense of scale was greater achieved at the end compared to the flop ending that is Gurren Lagann. The show was silly, but it had some decent moments (with episode 3 being my fave) with an amazing ending
and heartfelt tribute to Gunbuster.

To me, both Gunbsuter and Diebuster encapsulate the many faces of Gainax, both pre Eva/FLCL and post FLCL. It's a passing of the torch so to speak, as it was an anniversary piece after all.

This still sticks with me on how dumb she is. Her decisions literally make no fucking sense.

She needs a dumb worldwide award.

-is super human
-Is level 2, maybe 3 in the hierarchy of the school , when not even half of the students have reached that level yet ?
-has a duo/roomate/friend that is supporting her despite her hurdles
-has finally resolved herself to fight for her duo.
-has plenty of other duo/couples that are weaker than her in front of her whom she spend the last week with.
BUT

She willingly betray all of that because she thinks that the boy she loves will look at her when she was rejected already ? Even when you consider that the boy is already helping and supporting her on a daily basis ?

Really ?
I mean she is in total contradiction with several characters in the show already.

Dumb award GRANTED !

She needs a dumb worldwide award.

-is super human
-Is level 2, maybe 3 in the hierarchy of the school , when not even half of the students have reached that level yet ?
-has a duo/roomate/friend that is supporting her despite her hurdles
-has finally resolved herself to fight for her duo.
-has plenty of other duo/couples that are weaker than her in front of her whom she spend the last week with.
BUT

She willingly betray all of that because she thinks that the boy she loves will look at her when she was rejected already ? Even when you consider that the boy is already helping and supporting her on a daily basis ?

Really ?
I mean she is in total contradiction with several characters in the show already.

Dumb award GRANTED !

I think she has to be the dumbest character in anime in a long time.

He said that he was too weak to reciprocate her feelings. He needs to be stronger to be able to have those kinds of feelings. He told her this and responds by saying at the end "I will be stronger for you now." or something like that. I mean... huh? She is now going to the bad guy's side, getting their strength and then try to fight him and his friends all to make him love her... seriously, if anything, they're going to hate you more or you're going to be killed. Something like that. Dumb fucking idiot.

Haly

You mean Nono right? Nonoriri is (Gunbuster and Diebuster End Spoilers):
Noriko. Nono couldn't remember her name since she was pretty much the stuff of legends, being a story 12,000 years in the making and all that, so Nono would mispronounce Noriko as Nonoriri, which is the twist at the end.
Well, yes but. Nono called herself Nonoriri after her haphazard memory of Noriko's name. Noriko is still Noriko, and she physically shows up at the end of Diebuster so neither Nono nor Nonoriri were Noriko.

It's like when the Iron Giant said "Superman", even if he knows he's not Superman. Superman is just what he aspires to be.

It's been a few years since I wrote about the series but my thoughts are unchanged since this post.
I facepalmed really hard at that Graviton Cannon scene wow.

Talk about convenient bullshit.

Haly

In Gunbuster, they built a bomb to destroy the galactic core.

Diebuster doesn't even come close to the amount of "fuck it, we'll do it live" reached in Gunbuster.

Theonik

Giovanni's Island is supposed to be good, so I hope you enjoy it! Blind buys that end up being good are the best types of buys! :p GITS is awesome, complete with the standard Oshii monologue on a boat (Patlabor The Movie anybody? :p). I take it you haven't seen Paprika then? Hope you enjoy that too! :) The main theme will probably get stuck in your head for the rest of the week, so prepare yourself for that :p
I was pondering buying it when the Ultimate Edition was on sale but Duckroll told me 'Whether you like it or not depends on how sympathetic you are to Russians lol'
I decided to not pay 50 quid for it.

javac

I always took to Nono calling Noriko Nonoriri partly due to Noriko being a relic of the past, so her name was lost in translation, with Nonoriri missing the 'ko' at the end, but also because Nono is a bit slow in the head lol. I don't remember Nono calling herself Nonoriri but it's been a while :p
Sadamato's designs shouldn't be giving thaaat impression.
Sadamoto is an awesome artist, but the art in the show does suck, plus...the opening is garbage :p Permanent Blushing, maid outfit and a hyperactive girl with pink hair, fits the bill!
Same composer.
I always forget that :p You know, I really love the music in both series, and I've listening to them for 100's of hours nonstop, but at first all those years ago it was a guilty pleasure. For a while I didn't want to admit that I really liked it, since it's very 80's and synthy and uncool and just odd and such, but eventually I learned to just let it in and enjoy the cheesy lyrics ("You are the one!" "Nothin' impossible!" "Kondishon guriin") and accept my tastes. The fact that they are both composed by the same person really allowed me to realize that it wasn't a fluke, and that this shit really is my jam. I fucking love it.

Seriously, listen to some of this:
Knock on the Tomorrow
SCHAFT!
T-City
SEA-SIDE HIGHWAY
In the Rain
Condition Green
Long Silence
The Sunset of Ancient times
One of my favorite tracks from Patlabor is called PATLABOR '99 but I can't find that fucker on YouTube :(

Man..the Patlabor OST puts a massive smile on my face :) Please don't get me started on the Gunbuster OST, I'd be here all day.

I was pondering buying it when the Ultimate Edition was on sale but Duckroll told me 'Whether you like it or not depends on how sympathetic you are to Russians lol'
I decided to not pay 50 quid for it.
Lol, fair enough. I think that I'm still going to give it a shot. At the end of the day it looks to be a story that focuses on a small group of characters (young kids even) and I'm not going to bunch the characters in this story to a whole regime, at least not without seeing it for myself. It seems to be a story that revolves around two little Japanese boys and a Russian Girl post War (I think?), and I don't see anything wrong there. If I watch it and it starts to get into weird territory, so be it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom