• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

Parasyte 21

inWOICc4RChAb.png

I think I'm beginning to notice some sort of theme in this show lately. Something to do with humans being the true...something or other. If only the show wasn't so mysterious with its themes, then I'd be able to understand it.

javac

What people are referring to is primarily animation. You might have heard of this term from time to time. :p
We've got ourselves a smart aleck right here. Yes, I've heard of animation, no it's still not impressive to me, not anything worthy enough to give it the time of day anyways.

Jex

Speaking of Bones shows that have bad reputations but contain good animation. Is Heroman that good looking enough to warrant it appearing in the sakuga list spreadsheet?

I assume that's a show to watch entirely in youtube MAD compilations.
I just checked out the opening for Xam'd, as I usally do to get the jist of a show and I remembered the song instantly even-though I had seen the opening all but one time years ago so there's that. The show doesn't look all that great tho visually imo (cue people posting a million gifs)
Hmm I mean I can grab some good clips but the OP animation features some pretty impressive animation in it's own right.

How about I put it like this - there are two straight episodes at the start of the show where every single episode contains that detail of animation. I suppose that's the real difference here. Everyone's familiar with seeing a 'sakuga cut' even in a fairly rough show but seeing it done consistently is the impressive thing.

Jarmel

Banned
Speaking of Bones shows that have bad reputations but contain good animation. Is Heroman that good looking enough to warrant it appearing in the sakuga list spreadsheet?

I honestly don't remember enough of it to give a really solid answer. I do remember a few episodes were real standouts (epiaode 16 or 17 I think) though and most of the battles are fairly decent on an animation standpoint.

Parasyte 21

Mkay, kinda confused since Shinichi.............
woke up?

Also wondering why they threw in the random
event of him and Murano having sex..........I think they're still friends........

zpzqrz.gif

Jarmel

Banned
Just thinking about Xam'd and Heroman depress the fuck out of me. BONES is like the master of underdelivering at this point. If you expect one of their shows to be bad, they'll make the first few episodes good enough to the point of you thinking, "Maybe not this time", then bam, 10 episodes later you hate yourself for watching it in the first place.

I mean both shows had the potential to be fairly unique and good works on their own. Heroman could have been an adventure type of show across America with Joey and his companion. lol no. Xam'd's first half was fairly good even at times to be really good before it not only shat the bed, it shat in the hallway on the way to the bathroom. There were definitely some warning signs in the first half like how atrocious the world building was but goddamn that 2nd half is just a complete mess.

Just thinking about Xam'd and Heroman depress the fuck out of me. BONES is like the master of underdelivering at this point. If you expect one of their shows to be bad, they'll make the first few episodes good enough to the point of you thinking, "Maybe not this time", then bam, 10 episodes later you hate yourself for watching it in the first place.

I mean both shows had the potential to be fairly unique and good works on their own. Heroman could have been an adventure type of show across America with Joey and his companion. lol no. Xam'd's first half was fairly good even at times to be really good before it not only shat the bed, it shat in the hallway on the way to the bathroom. There were definitely some warning signs in the first half like how atrocious the world building was but goddamn that 2nd half is just a complete mess.

I never hated myself for watching Heroman. :p

Like, the show wasn't spectacular by any means, but it's still a fun little super robot show. I liked it a lot better when it embraced that comic-book style of beating up aliens and the like for the first few episodes.

The show started to falter a bit for me when it became about
running from the government before getting back to the aliens again. It's just a shame there isn't more to the series especially considering the cliffhanger the show left off at.

Idolmaster Xenoglossia 06

I have so many questions like why do we need mechs to destroy asteroids, or why are there evil robots to prevent the destruction of the asteroids but I'm having too much fun with the sheer ridiculousness of this.

The Devil is a Part-Timer! - 01

Yo that prologue was legit as fuck. Kinda makes me wish it focused on that entirely. Well anyway this was pretty funny, the premise alone is kinda hilarious.
The comic timing is pretty spot on, like with the other guy eating in the police station, the taxi summoning etc. I feel they went a bit too fast with how they adapted though, I would've liked to see his interview for example. All the characters so far feels likable at this first glance. Boss is best though.

javac

Hmm I mean I can grab some good clips but the OP animation features some pretty impressive animation in it's own right.

How about I put it like this - there are two straight episodes at the start of the show where every single episode contains that detail of animation. I suppose that's the real difference here. Everyone's familiar with seeing a 'sakuga cut' even in a fairly rough show but seeing it done consistently is the impressive thing.

I appreciate the honest explanation without jumping down my throat as I can often come across as abrasive when trying to make a point, appreciated.

I can see where you're coming from, I guess for me when I look at a show visually, I have to appreciate the whole image and while I can see the animation and detail being high, my hate for the character designs and such elements can often cloud my judgement, because the characters in Xam'd look ugly to me which may spoil the more 'picturesque' elements to the show. To further add to that, I've never been a fan of 'clean' and flashy animation I guess, the sheen often seen in modern shows puts me off. As such, things others may consider to be of high quality I'd find to be the complete opposite. Craftsmanship wise? I can appreciate that and you won't hear me contest that, but the whole image still may look 'ugly' to me.

This might be a random comparison, but when looking at Xam'd, the visuals remind me a lot of say...Rahxephon, which shouldn't come to me as a surprise I guess with a few people working on both (Takashi Tomioka directing the animation in many Rah episodes (3, 8, 16 and 23) as well as second key animation (episode 5, 12, 13, 23, 26) as well as key animation in episode 1 and 2 of Xam'd, and Rah's Producer (Masahiko Minami) also did some planning on Xam'd) and again, Rah was also not a looker outside of an episode or two but I've seen people who liked the animation in that show too...in fact in my write up of the show I too praised its visuals for the most part, but again I guess it's due to the whole aesthetic gelling with me. One of those things I guess :)

Jarmel

Banned
I appreciate the honest explanation without jumping down my throat as I can often come across as abrasive when trying to make a point, appreciated.

I can see where you're coming from, I guess for me when I look at a show visually, I have to appreciate the whole image and while I can see the animation and detail being high, my hate for the character designs and such elements can often cloud my judgement, because the characters in Xam'd look ugly to me which may spoil the more 'picturesque' elements to the show. To further add to that, I've never been a fan of 'clean' and flashy animation I guess, the sheen often seen in modern shows puts me off. As such, things others may consider to be of high quality I'd find to be the complete opposite. Craftsmanship wise? I can appreciate that and you won't hear me contest that, but the whole image still may look 'ugly' to me.

This might be a random comparison, but when looking at Xam'd, the visuals remind me a lot of say...Rahxephon, which shouldn't come to me as a surprise I guess with a few people working on both (Takashi Tomioka directing the animation in many Rah episodes (3, 8, 16 and 23) as well as second key animation (episode 5, 12, 13, 23, 26) as well as key animation in episode 1 and 2 of Xam'd, and Rah's Producer (Masahiko Minami) also did some planning on Xam'd) and again, Rah was also not a looker outside of an episode or two but I've seen people who liked the animation in that show too...in fact in my write up of the show I too praised its visuals for the most part, but again I guess it's due to the whole aesthetic gelling with me. One of those things I guess :)

My first question would be do you like Kenichi Yoshida character designs?

I also wouldn't really associate the art direction of Xam'd with Rahxephon. Xam'd was much more colorful for example.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kancolle 9

I was just about understanding this show and then they throw another spanner in the works. So we learn this week the girls can be "remodelled" which basically changes their physical features. Not like a bit of a nip and a tuck, but they can literally age overnight/ So they're not girls then but clearly machines. Wow.

Oh yeah and
there was the maybe/maybe not death of the admiral which has got to be the least said death of any character seeing as he has less presence in the show than Akari. Honestly, if this meant the complete removal of his character, the show will probably be better here on out.

Gundam Build fighter TRY - 21

Lucas nemesis , you could have been a good character if ..
-other people had seen you early in the show
-The conflict between you wanting to play for fun and your grandfather wishes was set-up earlier and you had to fight for it
-the relation with aina was exposed earlier

I mean you had a tactic for that 3 vs 3 but you didn't pay into account that your opponent actually used tactics too and understand them.
No amount of winning against the white wolf team will change the fact that you went in japan from europe IN ORDER TO CHALLENGE strong players but you were hidden most of the time , lol.

Gundam%20Build%20Fighters%20Try%20-%2021.jpg

I know .. i know

It's weird , the idea of using the giant hole in order to take your opponent by surprise was great and you had the skills to stand up to both fighters BUT a third of your time was you fleeing to resupply

LOL

javac

My first question would be do you like Kenichi Yoshida character designs?

I also wouldn't really associate the art direction of Xam'd with Rahxephon. Xam'd was much more colorful for example.

He's done some work on some of my favorite stuff when it comes to key animation (Whisper of the Heart, Porco, Only Yesterday, coincidentally my 3 favorite Ghibli films :p and Diebuster funnily enough) but in terms of his character designs? Hate is a strong word, but when looking at his designs on the table, yeah I hate them, without a shadow of a doubt in my mind. Doesn't sit well with me at all.

Jarmel

Banned
Kancolle 9

I was just about understanding this show and then they throw another spanner in the works. So we learn this week the girls can be "remodelled" which basically changes their physical features. Not like a bit of a nip and a tuck, but they can literally age overnight/ So they're not girls then but clearly machines. Wow.

Speaking of shows with horrible worldbuilding...

Parasyte 21

woke up?

event of him and Murano having sex..........I think they're still friends........

zpzqrz.gif

you think Murano and Shinichi are just friends.....I mean what show have you been watching?

Kancolle 9

They are ships , i thought this was clear ... now gonna get them all.

That's not horrible ..it's purposely set in the dark ...
Even the creators of the franchise can't explain the why and the how of most things ..everything is there in order to justify game mecanics , lol.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They are ships , i thought this was clear ... now gonna get them all.
The description given was girls channeling the spirit of the ships or something along those lines. If they were literally human representations of the ships then half the cast wouldn't be in the show seeing as the real ships have sunk. Also this show has arrows that turn into planes through the power of fairy magic (that's not made up). Nothing is clear in this show.

It's quite interesting to compare it to iDOLM@STER, another show based on a game I was not familiar with before watching the series. iDOLM@STER I came away from as a new fan of the show, Kancolle just leaves me confused half the time. Also the handling of the player's character is done so much better in iM@S.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah its a bit disconcerting, especially since if they wanted to draw "sexy" females, there was no need to choose this "cute" artsyle to them. Clashes with the rest of the art direction and screams "we want to make sure we still hit that 'moe' loving audience". A shame :/

They designed it for me!

Those Cross Ange, Grisaia, Gundam, Yuuki Yuna numbers ...Anime is more kaput than ever before.

Great numbers for great shows! Yuuki Yuuna and Gundam at least. Never doubt the power of magical girls!

Revolutionary Girl Utena 13

Those duels were all leading up to... something. I don't know who that guy is, or what unsealing him would mean, but I'm curious to find out.

Gekigangar 3 OVA

Is watching this before seeing anything from the main series the wrong order? Yes. Almost certainly yes. But I did it anyway. In the grand tradition that Exodus and Aerial Girls are carrying on today, one of the first shows-within-a-shows I'd heard of, simultaneously mocking, commenting and basking in the admiration of the circumstances that created it in the first place. I haven't seen a ton of 70s robot anime, but I can appreciate what it was doing here. In a lot of ways, it reminded me of what the Go-Busters Returns V-Cinema did for Sentai of the same era.

Starting tomorrow:

(Not the movies, but the three series leading up to them. This Amazon release linked them in my mind - all three movies have the same producer, so I'm going to watch all of their anime at the same time.)

This is a great idea. Have fun!

Testament - 09

Can't see shit captain! That contract was disappointing.

At least glorious Zest made up for it

Who is this Zest and why am I so captivated by her?

Jarmel

Banned
He's done some work on some of my favorite stuff when it comes to key animation (Whisper of the Heart, Porco, Only Yesterday, coincidentally my 3 favorite Ghibli films :p and Diebuster funnily enough) but in terms of his character designs? Hate is a strong word, but when looking at his designs on the table, yeah I hate them, without a shadow of a doubt in my mind. Doesn't sit well with me at all.

Well it's no surprise then that you hate the Xam'd character designs as Kurashima straight ripped his style for the show.

I've always been a huge fan of his designs to the point of suffering through OKG and GReco.

That sounds like horrible worldbuilding.
As i said it's nothing but escuses to support the gameplay the show has.

And it's that addicting gameplay that made kancolle a sucess , not the world building.
And the collecting part.. not gonna forget the collecting part.

The description given was girls channeling the spirit of the ships or something along those lines. If they were literally human representations of the ships then half the cast wouldn't be in the show seeing as the real ships have sunk. Also this show has arrows that turn into planes through the power of fairy magic (that's not made up). Nothing is clear in this show.
During the show , it was shown numerous times that they were bound by rules just like ships.
This include Kaga receiving an instant recovery in episode 2 .. They are ships , in the appearance of girls..they need resupply, can be upgraded but they have a will ( even if that will in bound to their "REAL" history purpose.
As for the fact that the real ships would have sunk, that's just how the kancolle history was written (rewritten ? ) . The inherent goal is for the girls/ships to correct their past mistakes so history is not going to be followed to the letter.
It's quite interesting to compare it to iDOLM@STER, another show based on a game I was not familiar with before watching the series. iDOLM@STER I came away from as a new fan of the show, Kancolle just leaves me confused half the time. Also the handling of the player's character is done so much better in iM@S.

Kancolle and Idolmaster have much different rules, in particulary idolmaster gameplay that is actually fairly close to real life , making it easy to make into anime and to understand by everyone.
When playing idolmaster , you train to raise your stats , solve inner conflicts within your team , answer interviews and try to raise your fame throught competitions ( called auditions )
^^ nothing that can't be used in real life.

Kancolle has more rules, and the escuse for the gameplay is bound in fantasy and your first step is to accept that ridiculous setting first.

Tuck

xam'd was, and still is, a feast for the eyes

i only wish that the show itself was as good as the quality of its animation
Eh, if every episode had been like the first, then yeah. But action happens so rarely and so briefly that it never really shows.

And its unrelated to the visuals but my god was the story awful. They spent so much time trying to be poetic and philosophical, they forgot to make characters that were interesting and fun to watch.

Horrible.

BluWacky

Re: Xam'd:

They spent so much time trying to be poetic and philosophical, they forgot to make characters that were interesting and fun to watch.

They did spend too much time being poetic, but I never really felt this was at the cost of the characters. While the plot goes wonky, the female characters in particular are well served as individuals in their own right, and the show is particularly admirable in creating interesting adult figures; I very much enjoyed the subplots surrounding Akiyuki's parents and Kagisu.

I cannot deny that most of the Zanbani crew are flavourless Eureka 7-esque extras, but the show quickly seems to ditch them to focus on Ishuu and Raigyou who are far more interesting.

Different strokes and all that - I realise I'm in the minority opinion on Xam'd but somehow feel the need to chip in every time the show gets slagged off :)

fertygo

Real talk Nakiami and Haru help a lot to made me adore the show, my opinion to both character certainly affect me to why I'm in minority on the regard of Xam'd, I really enjoy both character journey.. and one of the biggest annoyance from show, that's sidelined Akiyuki is big plus in my case lol.

Caesnd

I can't think of anyone capable of producing better lines in the anime industry than Kenichi Yoshida at the moment. Hs characters are full of life as a result. What exactly is it that you dislike about his designs? I'm genuinely curious.

Jarmel

Banned
I can't think of anyone capable of producing better lines in the anime industry than Kenichi Yoshida at the moment. Hs characters are full of life as a result. What exactly is it that you dislike about his designs? I'm genuinely curious.

I should note that I love the way he does hair in that it looks gooey. Really distinctive. Also almost all of his characters stand apart from another visually. Well other than the Anemone predecessor in OKG.

I can't think of anyone capable of producing better lines in the anime industry than Kenichi Yoshida at the moment. Hs characters are full of life as a result.

Although Yoshida is of course quite good, I have to say my favorite character designer at the moment is Naoyuki Asano (Shiranpuri, Saint Young Men). The linework and sketchiness of his designs really appeal to me.

javac

Well it's no surprise then that you hate the Xam'd character designs as Kurashima straight ripped his style for the show.

I've always been a huge fan of his designs to the point of suffering through OKG and GReco.
Yeah, Ayumi Kurashima did the character designs in Xam'd right? She did a lot of work on Rah as well and yeah the designs in Xam'd is very reminiscent of the characters in a show like Eureka Seven, and yeah I don't like it at all. More power to people who do however, it is very distinct so I can see how some would take a liking towards it.

I would love to be able to articulate my feelings into tangible words, I really would but I struggle to find the appropriate words and emotions other than 'hate' to describe it. I guess if I tried to pinpoint it, perhaps its due to how vacant the characters always look? Bah, I don't even think that's it! They just look ugly as hell to me. The way he draws hair, the sketchy nature of the line work...I'm just throwing out possibilities here...even I don't know! D: I've always hated it, as soon as I saw G no Reconguista (Holy fuck I spelt that right without looking or typing it in the past :O), I too felt hate in my gut.

Well a lot of series dodge the relationship issue and dance around it for the entire run.

Parasite is a seinen series so its not super surprising.

It of course helps that Parasyte is seinen series but even counting those I can't come up with too many examples at least now when I quickly try to think. Maybe I have just dementia already.

Caesnd

I should note that I love the way he does hair in that it looks gooey. Really distinctive. Also almost all of his characters stand apart from another visually. Well other than the Anemone predecessor in OKG.

Yoshida tends to draw with softer leads or color pencils, which lends themselves well towards such soft qualities. Personally, I really enjoy the poses he can come up with. Reminds me of Yasuo Otsuka a bit. Any fan should pick up his artbook, 'EST!' He's also a fantastic illustrator, who just doesn't get enough work.

Although Yoshida is of course quite good, I have to say my favorite character designer at the moment is Naoyuki Asano (Shiranpuri, Saint Young Men). The linework and sketchiness of his designs really appeal to me.

From a pure craftsmanships perspective, I consider Yoshida to be pretty much flawless. His design sense is also very appealing to me personally, since I always had a penchant for the softer styles like Haruhiko Mikimoto, Yoshifumi Kondo or Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, but that is of course even more subjective. He may not have the raw energy of some younger up and coming artists, but there's still a lot to be learned from his work. With the advent of mechanical pencils, and later on tablets, designers like him will probably appear even less.

I would love to be able to articulate my feelings into tangible words, I really would but I struggle to find the appropriate words and emotions other than 'hate' to describe it. I guess if I tried to pinpoint it, perhaps its due to how vacant the characters always look? Bah, I don't even think that's it! They just look ugly as hell to me. The way he draws hair, the sketchy nature of the line work...I'm just throwing out possibilities here...even I don't know! D: I've always hated it, as soon as I saw G no Reconguista (Holy fuck I spelt that right without looking or typing it in the past :O), I too felt hate in my gut.

I'd struggle to call his lines sketchy (if anything, his is some of the most confident work I've ever seen), but I can still see where you're coming from. Yoshidas work takes a lot from his time at Ghibli, which doesn't really mesh well with current trends.

phaze

Parasyte 21

woke up?

Just a decent way too cut quickly to the aftermath and show the strain on shinichi's psyche.

Yuri Kuma Arashi 08
Kureha is worse than Raku. You can't just forget the fact that you saved a Ginko in the midst of battle of Beariningrad and proceeded to live with her in your house for quite a long amount of time. They better explain this.

Majin Bone Episode 48

Ugh Vicktor and Gregory why :( be normal humans please and not antagonists.

Kind of sad for Revolt
thought he would stay on a good path and have some allies but to do that, ugh

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It of course helps that Parasyte is seinen series but even counting those I can't come up with too many examples at least now when I quickly try to think. Maybe I have just dementia already.

Garo had a MC sex scene 2 weeks ago, either your not watching one of the better shows of the season or your memory is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom