• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

I'd buy those on DVD just to shove down the distributor's throat.

Oh and it's a documentary? I thought they just decided to give the film a really weird name a bit like 'Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie'.

Hah I see where the confusion came from, yeah it's a documentary. No way in hell would I buy the actual film on DVD, something as beautiful as that?! I think the Ghibli films are the only things in the UK that do well sales wise, especially on Blu-ray. Around 30k to 40k sales for films like Totoro every year (Arrietty sold around 40k in 2012 to become the best sellng anime release of that year. Origin: Spirits of the Past is the only thing to come close, at 25k...no idea why that film sells so well in the UK lmao)

Summary of the documentary:
Plot Summary:
Part 1 (approx. 43 minutes) Animation director Isao Takahata embarks on production of "The Tale of The Princess Kaguya", his first film in 14 years. The first half of the documentary covers the process by which he came to take on the project, the pre-recording of the character voices, and the reasons behind the establishment of "Ghibli Studio 7", a facility set up to meet the demands of a new type of animation that does not fit easily into the traditional Ghibli animation process. Deriving characters from the recorded voices, the production gets underway, but quickly falls behind schedule.

Part 2 (approx. 43 minutes) Production on "The Tale of The Princess Kaguya" is already well behind schedule when director Isao Takahata decides on composer Joe Hisaishi to score the film's soundtrack, and singer Kazumi Nikaido for the theme song. With a third of the film's storyboards remaining to be done, producer Yoshiaki Nishimura suspends all other activities while Takahata and Storyboard Artist Osamu Tanabe work through the New Year's holiday. A simultaneous release with Hayao Miyazaki's "The Wind Rises" is abandoned, and the staff works frantically to meet the new date, now set for November 2013.

Not going to work due to snow, so today is a great day to catch up on anime I've fallen behind on

Stardust Crusaders 28-29

The battles with Anubis were really awesome and felt like the first true battle of this second season of anime.

Stardust Crusaders 30

OH MY GOOOOOD!

OH MY GOOOOOD!!

HOLY SHIT!

This episode is amazing

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Change the 'k' and 'n' to an 'r', 'i' to a 'u' and the 'a' to an 'i' and the price to £20 then I'll say yes.

EDIT: Why am I saying this here? I should tell them directly. Silly me.

javac

And this is part of the reason why the UK anime market is dead.
Yeah I've never heard of that show personally, but the fact that people reject the notion of a high quality release and wanting everything under £20 prevents a lot of stuff from happening here. The cheaper I can get something for, the better no doubt. I don't have a money tree in the back garden, but I also never minded importing the Japanese Gunbuster Blu-ray which is 6 episodes and has no English subs for around £70...because I love the show!

I hate it when everyone says "Give X show to Anime Limited" but if there's a show I like and want releasing in the UK, yeah give it to them. Their releases are far from perfect, but with my pestering I'd like to think that it's having a positive impact whenever I talk to the folks there. They get the message, and love these shows and want to give them the best release possible. I don't want everything to be Aniplex prices here, as that would kill anime in the UK altogether, but surely there's a happy medium? There's room for both high quality love letters and bare-bone releases.
Change the 'k' and 'n' to an 'r', 'i' to a 'u' and the 'a' to an 'i' and the price to £20 then I'll say yes.

EDIT: Why am I saying this here? I should tell them directly. Silly me.
Animatsu have a very close relationship with Sentai Filmworks in the US, I think like 90% of what they've announced is from their library (Nadia, Gatchaman Crowds etc) and I think Sentai Filmworks released Kill me Baby last October on Blu-ray...so ask them about that :)

Midonin

Aikatsu! Akari Generation 123

Akari's Thumbelina-themed getup is pretty good, and the song that accompanies it equally so. While I like PriPara's music more, Aikatsu certainly has more music. Akari's really come a long way from the insecure, slightly dorky girl she was back in mid-S2. Now she's got a steady job as a weather girl, a rising star on the idol circuit... she's making Ichigo proud.

In other news, Shirobako has been delayed on CR.

PK Gaming

Either I've somehow gone backwards in time without noticing or Crunchyroll delayed Shirobako.

11 hours until the next episode?

EDIT: Damn...

Stardust Crusaders 31-32

51394-George-Takei-oh-my-gif-fXlS.gif

Finally caught up on JoJo, next series to tackle is Log Horizon

Log Horizon S2 E14

Kanami is truly awesome and I hope this little side story will eventually lead to her joining the main cast of characters in the Japan server. The character dynamics of her little party were fantastic and they could easily make an entire series following their exploits.

I've posted so little, almost not at all over the past few weeks, but I just got through all of Natsume Yujin-chou and I walk away from it mixed. Overall I liked it, but felt like just way too much filler. I don't like Natsume as a character, he's one of those who are just "too nice for their own good" and it just ends up with too many episodes of "here's a problem with a youkai, now its resolved." Would have been nice to see more about his grandmother, or more episodes exploring his relationships with other humans and how the youkai fit in with that. Also, Nyanko-sensei more or less makes that show.

That said, after four seasons of that I need to take a step away from heartwarming stories and back into something lewd. I rarely rewatch shows (I think the only shows I've watched more than once are Haruhi, Nozaki-kun, and parts of K-On), but I think I'm going to dive back in to that great masterpiece, Oreimo.

Midonin

It begins!

Revolutionary Girl Utena 14

The Student Council were mostly sympathetic (Saionji aside), but these new Black Rose guys are a whole new breed of creepy, what with the corpses and the
lake of hellfire waiting when Utena destroys one of the Black Rose rings.
It seems partially symbolic, partially freaky. There's a lot of dark-skinned people with hair in various shades of purple running around, and I'm not sure if any of them are related to the guy in the dreamspace who I saw last episode.

Nadesico 01

The Galaxy Quest of anime. I've heard a lot about this one, and again, while my experience with mecha in Japanese media is mostly limited to Super Sentai, i can recognize the archetypes they're playing on here. So far, mostly premise-setting, but what I see of the premise - nerds of all flavors attempt to fight a war - takes a lot of the steam out of the usual military stories that populate so much of mecha anime. Not that comedy can't hide gravitas, but right now, a chance for anime to poke fun at itself is always welcomed.

Cyberteam in Akihabara 01

The "if I was in charge of making anime, this is what I'd make" of anime. Its showing its age with how close the Patapis are to Tamagotchis and that the "magical girls" of the series are more summons done by the Patapis is an interesting angle. Suzume's speaking pattern is exceedingly fancy, and our first villainess is already front-loading this series with hints at some greater scheme. I like it because it's set in Akiba, but I'm excited to continue on and see if I like it for other reasons.

Tokyo Ghoul √A - 09

I think this was for the most part a good transition episode to what I guess is about to happen. For starters I think they did a good job with showing how fearful this Owl's reputation is. Like the soldiers having to write wills and breaking down before the operation.
I knew the Owl was a strong enemy but not like this. Kaneki's little talk with Nishio on the rooftop was nice, with the light of the battle popping up. The sudden Tsukiyama.. breakdown I guess, felt weird though.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

Midonin

Saekano 08/April 20

Neither Tsubaki nor Eri are having the best day right now. But Eri's is one of creative spirit, and doesn't involve any dead cats. The drama is certainly dialing up - though it's not like this direction hasn't been foreshadowed for some time.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Good thing they already confirmed the second season, haven't watched it since Alfonso da gawd stepped up in ep 12, need to catch up.

Also ost release next week, can't wait to hear dat Gaia theme.... had no idea MONACA where full of Namco composers lol...

Well you got the best part to come then.

But yeah Garo had no chance in hell of selling well, it's a mishmash of unpopular anime tropes and storylines, with some questionable budget in the first season. It's why I was so glad it got the season 2 and movie announcement, because it's the type of anime that had no chance in hell receiving such announcements due to volume sales.

That reminds me do we have any idea when Season 2 is even coming out All I know is that they've mentioned it comes out in 2015 due to the 10th anniversary.

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 09

Surprisingly okay episode. Some decent action cuts in the beginning even if it regressed to the standard fare later on.

I didn't like the out of the blue inclusion of Ape and Dog gangs in the manga and I don't like it here even if it was foreshadowed a bit in the anime. All these people are awfully fast to risk their lives for no good reason, Anteiku staff included.

They may have again diverged from the manga and I'm really dreading the direction this change will take them.
0k4tkrdnkj5e.png

Durarara X2 8

Is it wrong that I want
Mikado to go off the deep end just so that he might become a more interesting character?

Also why do Verona and Slon keep referring to Celty as a he in the subs? It's fairly obvious that Celty is female.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 09

Surprisingly okay episode. Some decent action cuts in the beginning even if it regressed to the standard fare later on.

I didn't like the out of the blue inclusion of Ape and Dog gangs in the manga and I don't like it here even if it was foreshadowed a bit in the anime. All these people are awfully fast to risk their lives for no good reason, Anteiku staff included.

They may have again diverged from the manga and I'm really dreading the direction this change will take them.
0k4tkrdnkj5e.png

I guess it's a way to repent for their sins and what's a good way to do that but fight for Anteiku.

Jex

Is there actually anything good coming in Spring 2015? all of this stuff looks like shit.

Lafiel -

Gintama will automatically be good.

The Heroic Legend of Arslan is based on a book series by the guy who wrote Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It's going to be directed by veteran Noriyuki Abe. I imagine it will be, at the very least, good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, most sex scenes are just waste of time in live-action series or movies, so I'm not really sad about the lack of such scenes. It's just kind of questionable turning anime characters into some asexual creatures because it threats to damage the marketability of a character.
You could say the same thing about action, but I assume Japan is even more prudish than Americans when it comes to sex.

And at the end, she's ordered to go through puberty.
That's the funny part. They kept that secret just for the short burst of drama, since it's apparently arbitrary. lol

Lafiel -

Gintama will automatically be good.

The Heroic Legend of Arslan is based on a book series by the guy who wrote Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It's going to be directed by veteran Noriyuki Abe. I imagine it will be, at the very least, good.
What about Tytania???

phaze

Isn't the studio doing it supposed to be awful or something ?

Edit: Googling Arslan - I see the story isn't even complete though it started in 1986 ...

ED2; School Days writer for series composition. :O

Jex

What about Tytania???
A poorly made show doesn't necessarily suggest that the source material is bad!

Moreover, the source material for Arslan is certainly well regarded, so much so that we've already had numerous anime based off the same text!
Isn't the studio doing it supposed to be awful or something ?

Edit: Googling Arslan - I see the story isn't even complete though it started in 1986 ...

ED2; School Days writer for series composition. :O
There are many marks against the studio and the staff, that's for sure. I just thought I'd try optimism for a change of pace!

Gintama, Arslan, SNAFU, and Ore Monogatari look great. They probably are gonna be the top ones of the season.

Well I hope Arslan goes beyond the manga and is doing the LN. Though with the characters revealed so far, I dont know if it will truly get beyond the manga.

-

Seraph of the End, UtaPri Revolutions, Food Wars!, and FutureCard Buddyfight 100 are the best bets for Spring anime. Buddyfight even gets its OP by fripSide its gonna be epic.

Kvik

Speaking of Legend of Galactic Heroes, its episode count somewhat holds me back from watching it. Will there be a lot of filler episodes?

Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water despite its episode count.

javac

This is very timely as I was just talking about UK sales earlier and how Ghibli dominated, well here's some info to back that up. Some UK Anime sales figures for the month of February 2015.

Code:
[B]Top 7 New Releases (February 2015):[/B]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
#|	TITLE|	                                                LABEL|
1|	NARUTO SHIPPUDEN – VOL 20	                        MANGA ENTERTAINMENT
2|	BLOOD LAD – COMPLETE SERIES	                        ANIME LTD
3|	BATTLE GIRLS TIME – PARADOX COLLECTION	                MVM
4|	KAMISAMA DOLLS – SERIES COLLECTION	                MVM
5|	CHROME SHELLED REGIOS – COLLECTION	                MVM
6|	SHANGRI-LA – SERIES COLLECTION	                        MVM
7|	FAIRY TAIL – PT 9	                                MANGA ENTERTAINMENT
Code:
[B]Top 10 overall sales (February 2015):[/B]
#|	TITLE|	                        LABEL|
1|	THE WIND RISES	                STUDIO CANAL
2|	SPIRITED AWAY	                STUDIO CANAL
3|	MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO	        STUDIO CANAL
4|	HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE	        STUDIO CANAL
5|	NARUTO SHIPPUDEN – VOL 20	 MANGA UK
6|	PRINCESS MONONOKE	        STUDIO CANAL
7|	POKEMON 4EVER	                STUDIO CANAL
8|	AKIRA	                        MANGA UK
9|	KIKI’S DELIVERY SERVICE	        STUDIO CANAL
10|	NAUSICAA OF THE VALLEY OF WIND	STUDIO CANAL
  • Naruto Shippuden Box Set 20 topped the new release chart in February with just over 1000 units sold.
  • The Wind Rises topped the overall sales chart with over 3,700 units sold, with Spirited Away over 2000 units behind that.
  • It was a close battle between Howl’s Moving Castle and Naruto Shippuden Box Set 20 for fourth spot in the overall rankings. There weren’t many units difference between them.
  • To make into the overall top 10 over 600 units needed to be sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom