• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there actually anything good coming in Spring 2015? all of this stuff looks like shit.

Well, that Hibiki Euphonium show from KyoAni might be good. Might.

I'm pretty interested in that Arslan Senki show coming up.

Plastic Memories comes from a guy who also did adaptations of certain VN games that I'm pretty sure nobody here knows about, but hey, you never know.

Ore Monogatari is apparently one of those really good shoujo mangas out there, and Madhouse is handling the adaptation, so bonus points there.

So yeah, Spring looks pretty interesting to me. I don't exactly have high expectations though, so we'll see how it goes.

Clov

Is there actually anything good coming in Spring 2015? all of this stuff looks like shit.

Maybe this is just because I'm optimistic, but I think next season looks pretty good! As people have already brought up, there's more Gintama on the way (I still need to watch the second run of it, since I've only seen the initial 200 or so episodes).

Type-Moon fans get more FSN, which will at least look good. I'm expecting some good action scenes in the second half. For cute slice of life anime, there's another Kiniro Mosaic season and KyoAni's Euphonium. I'm hoping the latter will stick more to the less dramatic side of things. Kekkai Sensen is being done by the Kyousougiga director, so of course I'm excited for that. There's a new Lupin season, which seems more along the lines of classical Lupin than the last TV show, and a new season of Nanoha which I'm interested in watching. I've also heard good things about Ore Monogatari, so I'll give that one a watch too.

As for other things that I'm less interested in, depending on how much time I have I may also watch Ninja Slayer, Etotama, and Show by Rock. In any case, while I'm excited for the new season, there's nothing that really stands out to me as "this will clearly be the show of the Spring!" I'll have to hope to be surprised, or hope that I can catch up on Gintama fast enough to hop on the new season bandwagon.

Speaking of Legend of Galactic Heroes, its episode count somewhat holds me back from watching it. Will there be a lot of filler episodes?

"Filler" is such a loaded and abused word. At any rate, the series tells one continuous story which is continuously developing over the long stretch of time it spans. There isn't much dead time.

Clov

"Filler" is such a loaded and abused word. At any rate, the series tells one continuous story which is continuously developing over the long stretch of time it spans. There isn't much dead time.

If there's any "filler" in the series at all, it would be the one or two episodes that just explain the history of the LotGH universe. Those episodes are so interesting that you wouldn't want to skip them, though.

I'm not terribly fond of the Arslan manga/anime character designs compared to the original OVA/novel. Getting some chills that this will be a precursor to what the LOGH remake will be like. I'll still check it out, but not really looking forward to it.

Speaking of Legend of Galactic Heroes, its episode count somewhat holds me back from watching it. Will there be a lot of filler episodes?

Really depends on what you mean by filler. Sure, there are a few episodes that don't necessarily contribute to the main plot, but these episodes also expand on both the characters and the world to give the audience a better understanding of the overall narrative. For example, there are two episodes that are literally just history lessons (a character watches a documentary), and are probably counted as filler, but it allows you to understand how the world and different nations and factions came into power. Every episode has a purpose.

phaze

I guess it's a way to repent for their sins and what's a good way to do that but fight for Anteiku.
Repent by killing more upstanding CCG members ? I'm sorry, not buying it. If all of them have such a death wish they should have offed themselves earlier.
A poorly made show doesn't necessarily suggest that the source material is bad!

Moreover, the source material for Arslan is certainly well regarded, so much so that we've already had numerous anime based off the same text!

There are many marks against the studio and the staff, that's for sure. I just thought I'd try optimism for a change of pace!
Denial never helps !
Some UK Anime sales figures for the month of February 2015.

Code:
[B]Top 7 New Releases (February 2015):[/B]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
#|	TITLE|	                                                LABEL|
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1|	NARUTO SHIPPUDEN – VOL 20	                        MANGA ENTERTAINMENT

[LIST]
[*][B][I]Naruto Shippuden Box Set 20[/I] topped the new release chart in February with just over 1000 units sold.[/B]

[/LIST][/QUOTE]

See Japan, at least Glorious Albion can recognise quality anime !

There is a disturbing lack of appreciation for the real [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzAyCLss7vk"]standout [/URL]of the spring lineup. [IMG]http://abload.de/img/0k4tkrdnkj5e.png[/IMG]

TUSR

Banned
9wgdx5E.jpg
Digging it

A poorly made show doesn't necessarily suggest that the source material is bad!

Moreover, the source material for Arslan is certainly well regarded, so much so that we've already had numerous anime based off the same text!
There are many marks against the studio and the staff, that's for sure. I just thought I'd try optimism for a change of pace!

This Arslan anime is based upon the ongoing manga by the author of Fullmetal Alchemist Hiromu Arakawa which is part of the reason I'm interested in checking in out. Or at least she does the artwork for it.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 5

Ugh I hate when supernatural stuff ruins good battles. Lemme guess nothing else will ever compare to Jack v Yusei Fudo unless they tag team. :(

I wanted to see Stardust Dragon win!

Droplet

If there's any "filler" in the series at all, it would be the one or two episodes that just explain the history of the LotGH universe. Those episodes are so interesting that you wouldn't want to skip them, though.

Those episodes are still pretty necessary to understand what's going on in the plot and why what's happening is relevant. I would call those episodes "budget savers" over "filler".

javac

See Japan, at least Glorious Albion can recognise quality anime !

There is a disturbing lack of appreciation for the real standout of the spring lineup.
0k4tkrdnkj5e.png
I'm just glad at the Ghibli domination, please release Kaguya soon as well as Only Yesterday on Blu-ray StudioCanal senpai T_T

My first introduction to Saint Seiya was when my dad bought me a game a long time ago, probably because the cover looked like a DBZ game. Never seen the show however.

Kvik

Really depends on what you mean by filler. Sure, there are a few episodes that don't necessarily contribute to the main plot, but these episodes also expand on both the characters and the world to give the audience a better understanding of the overall narrative. For example, there are two episodes that are literally just history lessons (a character watches a documentary), and are probably counted as filler, but it allows you to understand how the world and different nations and factions came into power. Every episode has a purpose.

When I say filler, I meant like those episode where:

a.) The plot isn't moving forward, or
b.) Expanding upon characters I didn't really care about.

But from what you guys said about the episodes about history lessons, it does sounds interesting though. I'm keen to watch a few of those, no problems.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 5

Ugh I hate when supernatural stuff ruins good battles. Lemme guess nothing else will ever compare to Jack v Yusei Fudo unless they tag team. :(

I wanted to see Stardust Dragon win!

The end of season rematch is awesome and there's plenty of good duels to come. I'd also recommend watching the yusei vs jack ova.

It looks like an average season to me. A couple of shows with strong potential, a handful more with some promise, and a bunch of crap. That's pretty much what you always get.

Strong Potential:
Gintama
Blood Blockade Battlefront
Lupin III
Ore Monogatari
Teekyuu S4
Robot Girls Z+

Some Promise:
Sound! Euphonium
Arslan Senki
Plastic Memories
Shokugeki no Soma

Whether anything lives up to its potential, who knows, but that's just how things work in media.

Yeah, Haruhi and Kyon look kinda funny to me. I'll try to not let it get me down, definitely the show I'm most looking forward to in the spring. I might even have to break my rule of waiting for a season to watch a show and actually watch this week-to-week.

Log Horizon 15-19

I was going to wait for this arc to be over to post, but I can't as every episode has impressed me so much that I can't not comment on it anymore. I think the point that really drove home for me how special the series is was when they were discussing the topic of "being alive in the world vs alive in the real world" and it made me think of SAO and how that concept of being alive "in the game" is a major theme of that series. In one episode (19) Log Horizon has handled that theme better with more depth and complexity then both seasons of SAO did combine. Yes I realize doing something "better then SAO" doesn't exactly sound like high praise but in the case it really does give another great example of how awesome the writing and character of Log Horizon are.

cajunator

Banned
The Devil is a Part-Timer! - 01

Yo that prologue was legit as fuck. Kinda makes me wish it focused on that entirely. Well anyway this was pretty funny, the premise alone is kinda hilarious.
The comic timing is pretty spot on, like with the other guy eating in the police station, the taxi summoning etc. I feel they went a bit too fast with how they adapted though, I would've liked to see his interview for example. All the characters so far feels likable at this first glance. Boss is best though.

Great show. Chiho is my favorite but another girl shows up who is even cuter. It came before Yuusibu but I like Yuusibu a bit better. Still a hilarious show.

A girl you're going to get the figure off ?

I can answer this in more details but not here ( spoiler for the rest of the show )
I know that everyone watching testament is very concerned by the story /s

Lol. probably not but I like her design.

I just started watching Kotoura-san, goddamn I though it was a comedy, that was brutal, I should have paid more attention to the full genres enlisted.

mSylEL4.png

It is a comedy but perhaps you could call it a darker comedy. The first episode punches you in the face but it never gets that depressing again.
I want to hug Kotoura.

2vgIz.jpg

I don't know what to say about this show really.....I don't know if I either hate the show or the stuff they're trying to talk about during the whole show (light speed travel, Ghoul monster, the main character past, space drama, too many organizations in the space station when you need just one, one of the character dying the worst way you want to die, boobies moving around unrealistic but still interesting to watch, and the WTF ending which basically just telling the audience the secrets of the universe is death in some way and the main female character wish to go back in time where all her friends is alive) is making the show confusing for me to try to understand at all except for the basic plot (if they is any).

What I can say from watching the show of season 1 is how god damn depressing the show is. This is weird and funny as the end of the show you have a cheerful music playing with the main character doing fun stuff (it's like they want the audience to feel a bit happy in the end). It's like who ever write the story and dialogue think that we should make the show very depressing and serious at the same time. I don't mind some depressing stuff pop in a show but doing it nonstop make me feel like I should stop watching this show and go watch a comedy to cool off a bit here.

For animation, it's kinda meh for me. The 2d animation is kinda basic (mostly on the character design) and the 3d animation range from okay at that time to basic bad for other (the Ghoul come up in my mind). For a show in 2003, it kinda make sense as it's those early anime show that try to mix both 2d and 3d with mix result and it didn't age as well when watching it now.

For character development, I think this might be the only positive side for the show but not much. The show is trying to create a deep psychology of the main character and you can see this during the whole show from her inhuman abilities (which you found out in 2nd episode), her social life with the other secondary characters in the show, and the conspiracy of the Ghoul and the connection with it to her and her father and the base. This might be the good side I will say in this show really.

For story and plot development, I will say it's generic and nothing too special. They is some interesting idea but it didn't develop that much really and once you start to notice what is going to happened, you kinda know what is going to happened.

For now, I have to say the show is okay or meh for me. They isn't many thing special about it and the fan service they did to the show won't really help much or might make it worst as it might make the audience to think it will be those show that see boobies popping around while the story is more into the happy and action tone. What make me puzzle is this show is popular in Japan that they make another season which I now have to watch it. Man...I hope it isn't more depressing from the trailer they show at the end of this series.

Did anyone here watch this show and like it? Kinda want to discuss a bit here but because this is a very old show (2003) that might be hard.

I saw it long ago but yeah its pretty forgettable fanservice booby 90s sci fi. But it wasnt very good or very interesting to me so I cant remember a lot more than that sorry.

A new idol anime has been announced for the summer - Venus Project, the hotblooded idol anime.

We already have Cure Sunny in Cinderella Girls, but that as an entire series?

Hmmm. this has potential..

Stulaw

Well here's a site which has most (if not all) of the stuff coming out in the spring. Lupin III might be good, and Gintama's definitely going to be good, and I'm looking forward to The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan.

Edit: Oh and Shokugeki no Soma should be great.

Jex

Log Horizon 15-19

I was going to wait for this arc to be over to post, but I can't as every episode has impressed me so much that I can't not comment on it anymore. I think the point that really drove home for me how special the series is was when they were discussing the topic of "being alive in the world vs alive in the real world" and it made me think of SAO and how that concept of being alive "in the game" is a major theme of that series. In one episode (19) Log Horizon has handled that theme better with more depth and complexity then both seasons of SAO did combine. Yes I realize doing something "better then SAO" doesn't exactly sound like high praise but in the case it really does give another great example of how awesome the writing and character of Log Horizon are.

Yeah I'm pretty big proponent of Log Horizon based on the back of it's writing alone. It's world building is nearly unparalleled for the genre of show it is.

One of these days I'll get to Log Horizon since I LOVE fantasy anime with good world-building. Maybe after I get through Gaiking, Gundam Wing, and HITMON.

Akamaru with a Kunai in his mouth

Cool.

Wish it would've happened more often.

Or at least be in the games.

Hinata wielding a Kunai in hand

Why?

She's a Hyuga.

She has Gentle Fist.

She doesn't need it.

phaze

This Arslan anime is based upon the ongoing manga by the author of Fullmetal Alchemist Hiromu Arakawa which is part of the reason I'm interested in checking in out. Or at least she does the artwork for it.

The latter is the case as I understand it. Arakawa's manga is just an adaptation of the novels.

I'm just glad at the Ghibli domination, please release Kaguya soon as well as Only Yesterday on Blu-ray StudioCanal senpai T_T

My first introduction to Saint Seiya was when my dad bought me a game a long time ago, probably because the cover looked like a DBZ game. Never seen the show however.

Even my nostalgia goggles aren't strong enough to honestly recommend SS. :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My first akihabara trip basically love life road trip
When I was in Akiba last year it was during the run up to the second series. Love Live was everywhere. Also every otaku store was playing music from it. I was almost sick of it before I even saw the first episode lol.

javac

Even my nostalgia goggles aren't strong enough to honestly recommend SS. :p

Hah yeah I'm not into your typical shounen shows myself personally, and even the shit that I grew up with I wouldn't recommend but I can see the allure to such shows for some people :)

cajunator

Banned
They are going backwards in anime industry when it comes to portraying sex lol. In west we are going other direction (something like Game of Thrones could not have aired in the 80s). Dunno about Japanese dramas though as I don't watch them. Maybe it's just anime thing.

The main problem with anime is that it increasingly focuses inside the industry and rarely looks outward for ideas. New animators and directors look at what has worked before and seem pretty afraid to go much outside the box. Its kind of depressing.

I don't see whats wrong with DVD. Personally, I'm a Blu-ray or nothing person (unless I'm collecting a series, as in that case everything is a-OK including LaserDiscs lmao) as I'm in it for the best quality and don't mind paying the premium (plus a lot of the older shows and movies have tacky covers as nobody gave a shit back then).

But the fact is, sales figures show that most anime in the UK sell better on DVD than Blu-ray by a huge margin, so much so that even Manga are now releasing a lot of shows on DVD only. Fairy Tail was released on Blu-ray for 8 parts and is now DVD only from part 9 onwards. Plus I think DVD is fine for a documentary of this kind imo. Also, you laugh, but I bet you'd eat up a UK DVD release of Mitsudomoe and YuruYuri :p

Fact is, Blu-ray is a failure for anime in the UK, and the sales prove such.

DVD will always outsell due to cost, but its a fragile format. I can recall many times I ordered something from Suncoast and the discs were scratched in shipping. Blurays simply dont scratch like that. They are durable and pretty and worth the increased cost in many cases. When I accidentally drop a DVD on the ground, my heart skips a beat because it probably scratched it.

am I crazy for ordering this? http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/0AtAt-8SVW9qzUcq2-/browse/item/104578/4/0/0

Looks like CR's Shirobako release is delayed. :(

Its so meta. A delay in an anime series where characters are constantly upset by delays creating anime.

It begins!

Revolutionary Girl Utena 14

The Student Council were mostly sympathetic (Saionji aside), but these new Black Rose guys are a whole new breed of creepy, what with the corpses and the
lake of hellfire waiting when Utena destroys one of the Black Rose rings.
It seems partially symbolic, partially freaky. There's a lot of dark-skinned people with hair in various shades of purple running around, and I'm not sure if any of them are related to the guy in the dreamspace who I saw last episode.

Nadesico 01

The Galaxy Quest of anime. I've heard a lot about this one, and again, while my experience with mecha in Japanese media is mostly limited to Super Sentai, i can recognize the archetypes they're playing on here. So far, mostly premise-setting, but what I see of the premise - nerds of all flavors attempt to fight a war - takes a lot of the steam out of the usual military stories that populate so much of mecha anime. Not that comedy can't hide gravitas, but right now, a chance for anime to poke fun at itself is always welcomed.

Cyberteam in Akihabara 01

The "if I was in charge of making anime, this is what I'd make" of anime. Its showing its age with how close the Patapis are to Tamagotchis and that the "magical girls" of the series are more summons done by the Patapis is an interesting angle. Suzume's speaking pattern is exceedingly fancy, and our first villainess is already front-loading this series with hints at some greater scheme. I like it because it's set in Akiba, but I'm excited to continue on and see if I like it for other reasons.

Started some neat shows here. Enjoy them! I havent watched Cyberteam in ages but I have fond memories of it. Dont ask me specific things about it though because I have kind of mixed up a thousand animes in my head and I cant remember details like some of yall seem to be able to.

My haul for this week:

zXx5sZ3.jpg
[/IMG]

Niiiiiiiiiice
I havent seen the club show. Whats it about? I always get these -bu shows confused.

Westlo

Long hair Haruhi > Short hair Haruhi #Fact #LongHairMasterrace

That reminds me do we have any idea when Season 2 is even coming out All I know is that they've mentioned it comes out in 2015 due to the 10th anniversary.

Fall 2015 would make sense if it's another two cour season. This has been my first Garo and while I have no intention of checking out any of the other properties I've really enjoyed this.

cajunator

Banned
Maybe this is just because I'm optimistic, but I think next season looks pretty good! As people have already brought up, there's more Gintama on the way (I still need to watch the second run of it, since I've only seen the initial 200 or so episodes).

Type-Moon fans get more FSN, which will at least look good. I'm expecting some good action scenes in the second half. For cute slice of life anime, there's another Kiniro Mosaic season and KyoAni's Euphonium. I'm hoping the latter will stick more to the less dramatic side of things. Kekkai Sensen is being done by the Kyousougiga director, so of course I'm excited for that. There's a new Lupin season, which seems more along the lines of classical Lupin than the last TV show, and a new season of Nanoha which I'm interested in watching. I've also heard good things about Ore Monogatari, so I'll give that one a watch too.

As for other things that I'm less interested in, depending on how much time I have I may also watch Ninja Slayer, Etotama, and Show by Rock. In any case, while I'm excited for the new season, there's nothing that really stands out to me as "this will clearly be the show of the Spring!" I'll have to hope to be surprised, or hope that I can catch up on Gintama fast enough to hop on the new season bandwagon.

Show By Rock looks amazing.

Digging it

Im not entirely sure whats going on here. what show is this based on?

e_i

It's a high school club based sketch show like YuruYuri except far more meta.

Meta indeed.
In the first episode, the creators keep on trying to end of the episode by getting the end theme going, much to the chagrin of the main character, Natsuki.
and then there's the eleventh episode
where the characters think it's the last episode.

Westlo

It's hard to get excited for the new Gintama when you're so far behind it... getting to the point where I'll just say fuck it and blaze through the manga (and just watch the big arcs in the anime), would certainly be quicker.

I'll still watch the opening episode or two of the new season, Gintama always brings it when it starts again.

But Miki is a good character.

#TeamMiki represent.

ohh. I thought it was one of those fan created imaged combining two series.
The character designs are ?????

Based on the manga I think, same reason for the redesign for the new Nanoha. Watch most people blame Satelight and A-1 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom