• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuck

Garo - Episode 5
I'm loving this so far. Great atmosphere. Occasionally funny with likeable characters all around. People speak like people - no internal monologuing, no philosophical bullcrap. Its great.

Some really good action scenes too. I mean, they cheat by using 3D models for some characters in some action scenes which look really out of place (over designed and have shading different from the rest of the show), but its serviceable and allows for some solid action.

jman2050

Shirobako 21

Looks like Hiraoka got burned out and he's lashing out in frustration. Can't blame him really, taxing work like this could do a number on even the best of us.

RIP Zuka's VA career. Maybe she'll run a bar later in life, that can be a satisfying vocation!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
By this point, Zuka must be the dedicated "and this is what happens to some people who don't make it" character.

Shirobako 21

67iJ8os.gif
Times sure have changed, but stayed the same.

Shirobako 21:
Who can turn escape plans off with a smile? Yano Erika!

Another very enjoyable episode. It was nice seeing everyone gathering together for the airing of the first episode again. It really provides a nice contrast with the first cour. Back then, this was where we were starting, while now we're pretty close to the finish line (which really drives home just how fucked up the schedule was for Exodus). But I have a feeling it's not going to be all smooth sailing. That last episode feels like a ticking time bomb.

Hiraoka remains a dick. Even if he's been burned in the past, he's not helping anyone out with his attitude.

Solid episode. I guess nothing will happen for Zuka by the end of the season :(

She'll voice the baby boar or something, meaning they all technically worked on the show.

G Reco 23

NOT THE NEWTYPES

Mask isn't even hiding his identity anymore. But then again, why was he in the first place.

RIP Rockpie, called it
Barararararara better not die next episode

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere - 4

Oh are things happening now? Am I finally going to start to really understand what's going on in this show by the next episode?

On the negative side though, the CG mechs had quite some time in the spotlight in this episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Shirobako 21

Looks like Hiraoka got burned out and he's lashing out in frustration. Can't blame him really, taxing work like this could do a number on even the best of us.

RIP Zuka's VA career. Maybe she'll run a bar later in life, that can be a satisfying vocation!

Wait, that all female Waiting for Godot thing amounted to nothing? Bleh.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shirobako 21
Honestly, this episode feel like the calm before the storm. "Funny story" and Hiraoka will be the one that bring the storm. I can feel it!
Zuka-chan ;_;
Please let there be Daisanjou OVA with new character so that she can join in.

Tokyo Ghoul √A 09
gotta admit everything about this episode was pretty badass

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata 08
Katou the only reason to watch, one of my fav character in anime for sure.

ibyea

Banned
Aerial Girl project reaches to CG girl, so 4 out of the 5 friends seem to be working on the same project. Poor Zuka, she is left out.

Hiraoka continues being a colossal jerk. They really do explore his motivation, though, and contrasts him to another guy Isokawa who used to be classmates with Yano. He also provides some thoughts to Miyamori on the relationship producers have with other aspects of anime work.

Miyamori continues to be a boss by handling Hiraoka the way she does. Don't know how she has the patience to deal with him, but she does.

Things are going suspiciously too smoothly, which means "Funny Story" guy or supreme jerkface will fuck things up very soon.

Articalys

This year's Seiyuu Awards
Best Male Seiyuu: Daisuke Ono
Best Female Seiyuu: Sayaka Kanda

Best Supporting Male Seiyuu: Katsuyuki Konishi and Toshiyuki Morikawa
Best Supporting Female Seiyuu: Miyuki Sawashiro and Kana Hanazawa

Best Rookie Male Seiyuu: Ryota Osaka, Soma Saito, and Natsuki Hanae
Best Rookie Female Seiyuu: Sora Amamiya, Reina Ueda, and Aya Suzaki
("rookie" defined as debuting in the past five years)

Singing Award: μ's (Emi Nitta, Aya Uchida, Suzuko Mimori, Riho Iida, Yurika Kubo, Pile, Yoshino Nanjo, Aina Kusuda, Sora Tokui)

Personality Award: Daisuke Ono and Hiroshi Kamiya
(presence in radio programs, TV shows/interviews, etc.)

Most Votes Overall: Hiroshi Kamiya

Akuma no Riddle 1

Crazy faces, crazy faces everywhere. But seriously, this show seems like it will be awesome.

Edit: Anyone seen this anime Gyo? Is it good? I just came across this GIF and now I feel that I need to watch it for the fish bugs.

duckroll

This showed up earlier: http://animatorexpo.com/promotional02/

Trailer for the new season of Animator Expo shorts. Looks pretty damn rad. There's a list of talent to expect too:

Mahiro Maeda (Animatrix Second Renaissance, Count of Monte Cristo director)
Hiroyuki Imaishi (Gurren Lagann director)
Shigeto Koyama (Designer of all white mechs in this decade)
Takanobu Mizuno (CG director at Kamikaze Douga)
Satoru Utsunomiya (S-tier animator)
Masashi Kawamura (director, Ochibi Indiegogo campaign)
Kazuya Tsurumaki (Khara/Eva director)
Ikuto Yamashita (Eva mecha design) x Kazuhiro Furuhashi (Gundam Unicorn director)
Tadashi Hiramatsu (S-tier animator)
Kazuto Nakazawa (A-tier animator, C-tier director)
Moyoco Anno (manga artist, Ochibi Indiegogo campaign)
Otaro Maijo (Dragon Dentist) x Mahiro Maeda
Daisuke Onizuka (Khara CG Director)
Sayo Yamamoto (Michiko and Hatchin director)
Takashi Nakamura (Fantastic Children director)
Hiroyuki Okiura (Jin Roh, Letter to Momo director)

In addition, next Monday on the regularly scheduled talk with creators involved in this project, Maeda and Tsurumaki will be joined by Shinji Higuchi and Yutaka Izubuchi to talk about the upcoming season of shorts. That implies they might have shorts to contribute too, but their names weren't in the trailer, so maybe not?

Shin Mazinger Z 8

Kouji is weird. One second he's swearing revenge in a blood rage, and the next he hesitates to kill the exact same person because they're defenseless.

Caesnd

Thank you for the information Duckroll!

My expectations for the second season of the Animator Expo are pretty high. It's nice that these talented people get an opportunity like this. I think the format and the concept deserves further exploration.

Have to remember to make time for the talk. I suppose "regularly scheduled " means there have been other talks as well? I have to look that up if so.

I would love for Ikuto Yamashita's project to look like this:

But it's probably going to be CG I think...

This year's Seiyuu Awards

Best Male Seiyuu: Daisuke Ono
Best Female Seiyuu: Sayaka Kanda

Best Supporting Male Seiyuu: Katsuyuki Konishi and Toshiyuki Morikawa
Best Supporting Female Seiyuu: Miyuki Sawashiro and Kana Hanazawa

Best Rookie Male Seiyuu: Ryota Osaka, Soma Saito, and Natsuki Hanae
Best Rookie Female Seiyuu: Sora Amamiya, Reina Ueda, and Aya Suzaki
("rookie" defined as debuting in the past five years)

Singing Award: μ's (Emi Nitta, Aya Uchida, Suzuko Mimori, Riho Iida, Yurika Kubo, Pile, Yoshino Nanjo, Aina Kusuda, Sora Tokui)

Personality Award: Daisuki Ono and Hiroshi Kamiya
(presence in radio programs, TV shows/interviews, etc.)

Most Votes Overall: Hiroshi Kamiya

glad they got female supporting role seiyuu right and gave the award to miyuki sawashiro. the amount of professionalism shown while having to seriously voice SAOII's gun-gale online arc shows superior work ethic.

also glad to see μ's get an award! i hope they come to the states someday *sigh*

duckroll

Have to remember to make time for the talk. I suppose "regularly scheduled " means there have been other talks as well? I have to look that up if so.

Yes, they usually have a talk event on Nico the Monday after a new short appears on a Friday. There are short summaries of previous events on the official site, translated into English as well: http://animatorexpo.com/news/

The actual events are only in Japanese though.

Saekano 08

I'm fully expecting this confrontation to result in Eriri completely changing the kinds of things she draws to better appeal to Tomoya under the guise of 'changing herself'. And that will be terrible.

cajunator

Banned
It's so nice to see scenes I recall from the novel. Regardless of whether it was Ishihara or Yamada's decision to have Kumiko in a ponytail for middle school/first day, I definitely approve of the change! Everyone sounded similar to the voices I had inside me while reading.

Her hair is so fuwa, but that ponytail is magnificent too. AHHHHHH

Tenumi

Banned
So far, looking at the Spring list, my lineup will be:

I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying 2nd Season
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid
Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic
Sound! Euphonium (HYPE!)
Digimon Adventure Tri.

...and I imagine I'll probably pick up one or two more shows by then.

Will watch Blood Blockade Battlefront as it seems to be the most promising of the lot from what I can tell.

I would watch Digimon but I can barely what happened in 01 and 02 that I'd have to rewatch them and as for Gintama°, I'm only on Episode 14, still got another 200+ episodes to go before I start that!

So proud of everyone and I'm pleased with the results. The list of newcomers/rookies to choose from felt packed this year. Not surprised at the Singing Award result due to the popularity of the franchise. Also not surprised at the Most Votes Overall result seeing as he's been the one and only winner in the category since its introduction.

Shout-out to Dear Girl Stories for the Personality Award!

phaze

Boogiepop Phantom 07

RIP Morita. Thank you for your enlightening info dump two episodes back. I'm afraid I was not worthy as your show remains as confusing as ever.

Spring watchlist:

Def
Blood Blockade Battlefront
FSN:UBW
SS: Soul of Gold ;_;

maybe
Ninja Slayers
Lupin III (If one can delve into it without seeing anything else from the franchise)

Spring watchlists, eh?

Will watch sometime:
Gintama
Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic
Hibike! Euphonium
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying 2nd Season
Teekyuu 4

Might watch if good:
Etotama
Ore Monogatari!!
Plastic Memories