• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vito

Banned
tumblr_nksr61XQk01sqqtwzo1_1280.png

I will watch almost everything like I do every season and slowly weed out the things I don't like and maybe pick up a few things based on impressions.

Midonin

Cinderella Girls 08

As a prominent Mayayan fan, I've been waiting for a Ranko episode since the show was announced, and this week delivered and more. Compared to Twoearle or even Rikka, her closest comparison, Ranko reminds me more of that one Gackt character in Sket Dance - nearly indecipherable.
Though Miria apparently speaks Rankoese.
Getting a new song and a heartwarming moment with the producer made this a lot of fun, and thanks to Mio's initiative to make the office a little more friendly, we got some brief insight into everyone else too.

Going by the title of next week's episode, it's a Kanako episode. I have no problem with this. Though I'd love a spinoff manga about what goes on in that apartment where Syoko, Koume, Ranko and Anastasia all live together. That must be like seven different kinds of chaotic.

phaze

Durarara x2 07

Yikes people weren't kidding about quality of animation in this one.

Poor Varona. Just an ordinary assassin thrust into city full of super power freaks.

Mikado thinking of Izaya as the "good guy" is just.
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif
He was somewhat bearable in the first series but he's just annoying now.

Not a very riveting episode. The show as a whole seems like two grades below its first outing.

/XX/

This showed up earlier: http://animatorexpo.com/promotional02/

Trailer for the new season of Animator Expo shorts. Looks pretty damn rad. There's a list of talent to expect too:

(...)
Damn, what a splendid bunch of masters! Interesting thing to note from the trailer is Shigeto Koyama's animated short will feature cute little Ghost-chan from his cool 'dōjin' series CCMS (http://kusano-design.com/ccms/c83/). I didn't know they could tackle something like previously created original characters for their works on this project! Kind of made me wish for Mr. Imaishi to instead have adapted his fantasy-world characters from WANTED, self-published as IBC.

First option I would have expected from him would have been an EVANGELION ANIMA-related short, to continue with their own χαρα's franchise promotion for this season too. I suppose many people will be glad it wasn't the case!

Midonin

GARO -Seal of Flames- 21

I was sure the titular seal related to Leon in some way, but going by this episode, it looks like it may relate to the
swarm of Horrors that Mendoza plans to unleash on the city.
I can see why German supports it, and he's certainly got the protection aspect of being a hero down, but he's leaning more and more towards anti-hero as the show goes on.

Not the first in the franchise, from what I've heard.

Jex

This showed up earlier: http://animatorexpo.com/promotional02/

Trailer for the new season of Animator Expo shorts. Looks pretty damn rad. There's a list of talent to expect too:

Mahiro Maeda (Animatrix Second Renaissance, Count of Monte Cristo director)
Hiroyuki Imaishi (Gurren Lagann director)
Shigeto Koyama (Designer of all white mechs in this decade)
Takanobu Mizuno (CG director at Kamikaze Douga)
Satoru Utsunomiya (S-tier animator)
Masashi Kawamura (director, Ochibi Indiegogo campaign)
Kazuya Tsurumaki (Khara/Eva director)
Ikuto Yamashita (Eva mecha design) x Kazuhiro Furuhashi (Gundam Unicorn director)
Tadashi Hiramatsu (S-tier animator)
Kazuto Nakazawa (A-tier animator, C-tier director)
Moyoco Anno (manga artist, Ochibi Indiegogo campaign)
Otaro Maijo (Dragon Dentist) x Mahiro Maeda
Daisuke Onizuka (Khara CG Director)
Sayo Yamamoto (Michiko and Hatchin director)
Takashi Nakamura (Fantastic Children director)
Hiroyuki Okiura (Jin Roh, Letter to Momo director)

In addition, next Monday on the regularly scheduled talk with creators involved in this project, Maeda and Tsurumaki will be joined by Shinji Higuchi and Yutaka Izubuchi to talk about the upcoming season of shorts. That implies they might have shorts to contribute too, but their names weren't in the trailer, so maybe not?

Consider me excited. This really has been the most impressive short anime collection in years, perhaps even ever.

javac

Pics of the UK Nadia set :)

Show: Nadia The Secret of Blue Water
Release Date: June 1, 2015
Region: UK
TFPPvbUm.jpg

Nadia The Secret of Blue Water: Complete Collection Blu-ray [Animatsu] £69.99
jQjmpRs.jpg
Nadia The Secret of Blue Water: Complete Collection DVD [Animatsu] £49.99
GMe3mC0.jpg

Show: Gatchaman Crowds
Release Date:Apr 27, 2015
Region: UK
Tmi285rm.jpg

Gatchaman Crowds Blu-ray [Animatsu] £28.75
faK48cY.jpg
Gatchaman Crowds DVD [Animatsu] £17.75
7KjvExQ.jpg

jbug617

Banned
It seemed obvious with all the hinting. Wonder if we'll see any other NTV/Madhouse works come out of this deal?

Kaiji please

Interesting part is Sentai got the rights in the following regions

The invasion spreads as Sentai Filmworks announces its acquisition of North American, South American, UK, Australian, and New Zealand rights to the highly acclaimed series PARASYTE –the maxim-.

For Spring:

Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu
Shokugeki no Souma
Denpa Kyoushi (TV)
Kyoukai no Rinne
Owari no Seraph
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (2015)
Plastic Memories
Koukaku Kidoutai Arise: Alternative Architecture
Triage X (maybe?)
Sidonia no Kishi: Daikyuu Wakusei Seneki
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo (TV) <--------------This so much.
Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru no Darou ka?
Grisaia no Meikyuu
Grisaia no Rakuen
High School DxD BorN
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku

Spring is going to be sooooooooooooooooo fucking busy for me. I love it :).

Clov

What other short anime collections are there that would even be close to this caliber?

What about stuff like Memories, Neo-Tokyo, Robot Carnival and Genius Party? I'm loving the Anime Expo shorts myself, but I'm not sure if they're the best collection of anime short films just yet. It definitely has an advantage when it comes to the sheer amount of short films, though. Really, the more short film compilations we get, the better.

Interesting part is Sentai got the rights in the following regions

Weird. I wonder if they're going to start dealing in the UK themselves? More likely they'll sub-license it to other companies, though.

What about stuff like Memories, Neo-Tokyo, Robot Carnival and Genius Party? I'm loving the Anime Expo shorts myself, but I'm not sure if they're the best collection of anime short films just yet. It definitely has an advantage when it comes to the sheer amount of short films, though. Really, the more short film compilations we get, the better.

Weird. I wonder if they're going to start dealing in the UK themselves? More likely they'll sub-license it to other companies, though.

How about Amazing Nuts!

Here is a full clip from part of that, and I still love the music in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdJFGupXYIo

javac

I love you, do you know that? Anime shorts are the best thing ever since sliced bread, but unfortunately I'm not the biggest fan of the Anime Expo stuff. But Robot Carnival? Mwah! Beautiful! Amazing! Same with Neo-Tokyo and Memories. Ani-Kuri 15 is also really nice :)

Clov

How about Amazing Nuts!

Here is a full clip from part of that, and I still love the music in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdJFGupXYIo

I'll be honest; I'm not a big Amazing Nuts! fan. I liked the first short in it, but nothing else really stuck with me.

I love you, do you know that? Anime shorts are the best thing ever since sliced bread, but I;m not a fan of the Anime Expo stuff. But Robot Carnival? Mwah! Beautiful! Amazing! Same with Neo-Tokyo and Memories. Ani-Kuri 15 is also really nice :)

I need to give Ani-Kuri15 a rewatch, since it's been so long since I last watched it. It wouldn't take up a lot of time, at least. I remember really liking it though!

On the topic of the other compilations, I'd give so much for a Robot Carnival Blu-Ray. The movie looks absolutely incredible already, and it would only look better in HD. I don't think there's an HD master of it, unfortunately. That means Discotek's re-release will probably just be on DVD. Japan needs to get on this right away!

Have you seen Genius Party yet? If you enjoyed those compilations, then you may like those two as well.

/XX/

I'm not seeing a lot of Punchline on those lists.
GAiNAXers everywhere; supposed Mai Yoneyama, Kengo Sait&#333;, Sy&#363;ichi Iseki and Sh&#363;hei Handa involvement (I still have my doubts about such line-up, because how exactly are they going to reconcile production work too at LWA now?), Mr. Mihara's storyboards (how about another solo episode, please), real gambler studio MAPPA at the helm... maybe its thematic doesn't inspire confidence in many but I think there are plenty of reasons to give it at least one opportunity.

javac

I need to give Ani-Kuri15 a rewatch, since it's been so long since I last watched it. It wouldn't take up a lot of time, at least. I remember really liking it though!

On the topic of the other compilations, I'd give so much for a Robot Carnival Blu-Ray. The movie looks absolutely incredible already, and it would only look better in HD. I don't think there's an HD master of it, unfortunately. That means Discotek's re-release will probably just be on DVD. Japan needs to get on this right away!

Have you seen Genius Party yet? If you enjoyed those compilations, then you may like those two as well.

Yeah Ani-Kuri is only 15 mins, with 15 one min shorts so its really accessible. It's not mind-blowing, but I really liked it. I remember watching Genius Party a few years ago but can't really remember much of it, so I'm planning a re-watch soon!

Short Peace is one that I still have to watch however! I've seen others too, like Winter Days which was pretty interesting in what it was doing, but nowhere near my favorite. I loved Robot Carnival the most, so much so that I own it the Japanese DVD, the Laserdisc and a few cels :p

sonicmj1

GAiNAXers everywhere; supposed Mai Yoneyama, Kengo Sait&#333;, Sy&#363;ichi Iseki and Sh&#363;hei Handa involvement (I still have my doubts about such line-up, because how exactly are they going to reconcile production work too at LWA now?), Mr. Mihara's storyboards (how about another solo episode, please), real gambler studio MAPPA at the helm... maybe its thematic doesn't inspire confidence in many but I think there are plenty of reasons to give it at least one opportunity.
Isn't the script also coming from the guy who wrote 999 and Ever17? Might be more than meets the eye here.

Jex

What other short anime collections are there that would even be close to this caliber?

Well the big collection are things like Robot Carnival, The Animatrix, Genius Party+Beyond etc. Genius Party is pretty damn great but it looks like we've got plenty more Animator Expo shorts to watch.

/XX/

Isn't the script also coming from the guy who wrote 999 and Ever17? Might be more than meets the eye here.
Yep! Looking forward to it.

Well the big collection are things like Robot Carnival, The Animatrix, Genius Party+Beyond etc. Genius Party is pretty damn great but it looks like we've got plenty more Animator Expo shorts to watch.
And talking of omnibus projects; anyone knows what happened to Toruru's Adventure? Can't find the official information on it anymore, unlike for the other PES animated shorts trailers and CM.

Jarmel

Banned

I forgot about the Matrix one. How was the Halo shorts?

I haven't seen Genius Party yet, I'll give that a watch sometime soon.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if a few key animators from the first LWA OVA didn't come back.

Yoshinari didn't seem to uh enjoy teaching the younger animators so I could see the staff being more experienced individuals for the 2nd OVA.

/XX/

I wouldn't be overly surprised if a few key animators from the first LWA OVA didn't come back.

Yoshinari didn't seem to uh enjoy teaching the younger animators so I could see the staff being more experienced individuals for the 2nd OVA.
I certainly had the impression that Mr. Yoshinari was more fed-up with (or better said fatigued by) the very close and personal supervision for every animator encouraged (read as obliged) by the training program, as a whole, rather than with the trust he had in the capabilities of each of the very talented animators they choose... that weren't exactly newbies either!

It was said that those same animators (core staff of TRIGGER Inc., already) would come back for the following chapter, and Takafumi Hori already confirmed this.

Jarmel

Banned
I certainly had the impression that Mr. Yoshinari was more fed-up with the very close and personal supervision encouraged (read as obliged) as a whole by the training program than with the capabilities of each of the very talented animators they choose... that weren't exactly newbies either!

It was said that those same animators (core staff of TRIGGER Inc., already) would come back for the following chapter, and Takafumi Hori already confirmed this.

It's certainly possible the restrictions of the program itself were more grating than the animators as individuals but man at the end of the documentary, I really couldn't tell if he thought any of them were capable. Then you had Sushio's comments later... Anyway it doesn't really matter that much.

Could the younger animators such as Handa been working on the earlier episodes? If the production scheduling for Punch Line has been decent, I could see some of the earlier episodes already being mostly finished.

Garo - 21

Decent episode, the fight(s) was not too shabby either. The past coming up as they fought was a nice touch. That big ass horror laying in fetal position was sorta creepy. I'm not liking how confident German feels about all this, I keep thinking there must be ulterior motives.
Best dad.
SpK2UkM.gif

/XX/

Could the younger animators such as Handa been working on the earlier episodes? If the production scheduling for Punch Line has been decent, I could see some of the earlier episodes already being mostly finished.
I sure hope so. Even though Michio Mihara appeared in some 'tweets' to be a little preoccupied by the quantity of cuts for the 'e-konte' he makes in comparison to the deadline imposed, going already up to episode 12 storyboards more than one month and-a-half prior to the series 'premiere' seems adequate enough.

And I'm sure Sushio's comments were in jest (he said that the first bad impression was before KILL la KILL production began, already well in the past), because those kind of criticisms aren't exactly what you include in an official guidebook (or at least I expect as much... Japanese stereotypical politeness by omission and all)!

Caesnd

First option I would have expected from him would have been an EVANGELION ANIMA-related short, to continue with their own &#967;&#945;&#961;&#945;'s franchise promotion for this season too. I suppose many people will be glad it wasn't the case!

Yes, it looks cool regardless. I think the designs are pretty simillar to his Anima-series work, like the US Wolfpac and Dragon variants (a bit of Dark Whisper in there of course).

Now that I think about it, what I really want is a Gundam series that stars his version of the RX-93. It's the best Gundam design in the franchise!

Jarmel

Banned
I sure hope so. Even though Michio Mihara appeared in some 'tweets' to be a little preoccupied by the quantity of cuts for the 'e-konte' he make in comparison to the deadline imposed, going already up to episode 12 storyboards more than one month and-a-half prior to the series 'premiere' seems adequate enough.

Looking at Rage of Bahamut's production schedule, if there is any solid information out there, might give an indication of where the production is at this point since it was mostly done in-house compared to Garo.

That said, episode 12 looks to be heavy on the action so it's possible they needed the storyboards earlier in order to give more time for the key animators.

Clov

Yeah Ani-Kuri is only 15 mins, with 15 one min shorts so its really accessible. It's not mind-blowing, but I really liked it. I remember watching Genius Party a few years ago but can't really remember much of it, so I'm planning a re-watch soon!

Short Peace is one that I still have to watch however! I've seen others too, like Winter Days which was pretty interesting in what it was doing, but nowhere near my favorite. I loved Robot Carnival the most, so much so that I own it the Japanese DVD, the Laserdisc and a few cels :p

I really enjoyed Short Peace, it was really nice. The fourth short is actually pretty surprising, though Possessions might be my favorite. I owe it another watch. I also enjoyed Winter Days; that one was really unique. It was wonderful seeing so many different styles; while I was impressed by Koji Yamamura's contribution as I expected to be (I'm a big fan of his work), I was really impressed by some of the Russian animators that worked on it. The one that was done with paint on glass looked absolutely incredible.

That's a really impressive sounding Robot Carnival collection! I'd love to own some cels myself, but I doubt I could sustain yet another expensive hobby. :p

Midonin

Isuca 07/Fafnir 09

Skulls, bombs, kisses and hot springs. The balance between serious stakes and romantic comedy is about average in both shows - I like Fafnir's characters better, but I like the plots going on in Isuca better.

phaze

Great Teacher Onizuka 08
Goes bowling.

Throws his student of the bridge.

Beats up a street gang.

Engages in a car chase.

Frames vice-principal in said chase and destroys his beloved Cresta again.

Really, being a teacher in Japan is stressful job. Hope he gets paid well.

I imagine this wraps up this mini arc since he finally managed to get the trust of another student. At this pace Onizuka will soon run out of members of class 3-4 to befriend.

Great Teacher Onizuka 09
Hah please, you're next in line to get Talk no Jutsu'd.

That said respect to Onizuka for swimming a whole 50m underwater. I only ever managed ~35. ,_,

JBA:Stardust Crusaders 33
Oh my Goooood. I couldn't believe it either.

Fun resolution, they even managed to make Polnareff look cool.

Jex

[Death Parade] - 9

My initials thought on this are - this episode is going to melt some faces. Not because it's flawless, but because of it's unrivalled emotional intensity. You will be drained from watching this.

The show certainly isn't subtle about it's themes or messages, quite the opposite as it basically yells them from the top of it's lungs. However, if you're going to be unsubtle about it you might as well be gloriously over the top.

Midonin

Revolutionary Girl Utena 15

Kozue, we meet again. I read that Utena was pulled together at least partially from ideas Ikuhara wasn't able to use in Sailor Moon, and the student council part of the show was more KLK than anything else. Now with the Black Rose in play, I can see where some of the Sailor Moon comparisons are coming from. People forced into fighting for a cause they know nothing about, against a girl they don't have a grudge against (except Anthy. So far both parties hate Anthy.) Still wondering what it's all building up to.

Nadesico 02

Akito and Jir- Gai make a great combo. I also loved the "manual launch" gag. Gai may be called naive, but seeing someone who genuinely believes that superheroes can be forces for good is inspiring. It's what drove a lot of Samumenco, after all. Yurika's also got the chops to live up to her legacy. The show's pretty fun so far.

Cyberteam in Akihabara 02

Fran is Yui Horie? I know she had some strange early roles - as everyone does - but that's unexpected. Suzume more forced her Patapi into the hero role, and so far the villains are largely talking about vague things. So far, both a typical and slightly atypical magical girl series. It's like if the fairies were the magical girls themselves - Digimon crossed with Symphogear.

Death Parade - 09

It's a tough world out there. I think the last one and this episode was great. I like how honest the
'Dexter' detective
was. As well as the other guy
ultimately got taunted away from the soothing and going ham, even after Onna spilled the beans
. Pure raw emotions.
It also made a good use of the ED (spoilers).

FluxWaveZ

Death Parade - 09

Maybe this could be an outcome where two people are sent to the Void.

Welp.

That rant towards Decim from No-name was pretty interesting, and seemed to hit him pretty hard. One more set-up for the upcoming revolution, it looks like. As for the game itself, I loved how they totally twisted the characters at the end. There's a huge difference between how they were when they entered Duodecim in the previous episode, and their despair-driven selves at the very end. Nicely done.

Edit: Wait a sec...
It wasn't made clear how the younger guy died at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom