• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seven deadly sins - 20
That Twist was expected ...
but it was good ..

DAT superb animation

Seven deadly sins - 21

Dat twist was also expected ...
But goddamn if this show doesn't make me at the edge of my seat.

Let's talk music (inspired by the newest set of covers by AnimeSongCollabo)

What are the best OP and ED songs from this season?
Which show this season has the best OST?

For me, OP is Death Parade (and I assure you it's not just because the band that performed the song did this), and ED is split between Shirobako and Saekano.
OST is between Yurikuma Arashi and Koufuku Graffiti.
(Of course, my guilty pleasure answers for all of the above are probably Aldnoah Zero.)

http://youtu.be/DrzqR92LUys
If you read the manga this will surely make you feel sad.

The best Ending of the season is definitely the one by Amazarashi for Tokyo Ghoul Root A, no competition. Each ending has it's own set of art by the Mangaka himself and they all tell a little story. Like this one for Hinami tells her story throughout the manga. Plus it has a older version of her, referencing the sequel Re. The band Amazarashi are really amazing especially their lyrics which sets the tone for what they are singing. People should really check them out because they are brilliant.

As for the Opening that goes to Death Parade because it has that funky vibe, which I love.

Clov

For me, OP is Death Parade (and I assure you it's not just because the band that performed the song did this), and ED is split between Shirobako and Saekano.
(Of course, my guilty pleasure answers for all of the above are probably Aldnoah Zero.)

OP: Death Parade. It's incredibly catchy!
ED: Shirobako. Also a really catchy one, and it's neat seeing characters get added to it.
OST: Yuri Kuma Arashi. Koufuku Graffiti is in a very close second.

My choices are pretty close to yours, really.

All of those Speed Racer references

f1jbwn2.jpg
FKPfFC6.jpg

All of Galina's development from the previous episodes flourishing as he gets closer to the original Yatterman

Was simply amazing to watch.

You people and your Cross Ange.

I for one, am not going to watch that Sunrise trainwreck any time soon.

I'll be sticking with their good Gundam shows in all their 2D mecha goodness.

cajunator

Banned
yeah OST is real awesome, i really like piano ver cover of the tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/animeartonlineblogspot/nagi-no-asukara-medley-all-op-and-ed-piano

I really like this. elegant and understated. Feels melancholy and beautiful.

Noir
This show was pretty bad. The two main characters are horrible assassins. Unlike the intro indicates, they rarely do flashy action, nor do they take their targets out stealthily like good assassins. Instead, most of the time they walk straight ahead firing a gun. Everyone else is pretty much incompetent at shooting a gun. The plot isn't good either. it basically revolves an Illuminati-like group with a major fanatic faction who believes Noir will bring humanity into a new better age by killing everyone basically. So they keep sending troops and hitmen after them to test them. The whole thing is over convoluted. Then there's the mystery about the main girl who has amnesia,
who turns out to be one of the actual members of Noir
and the other main girl, whose parents were killed
by Noir, who was a child a time, because this girl was another candidate for Noir
. The problem is that to reiterate this point, they replay the same damn flashback nearly every episode. Early episodes also had a lot of scene reuse. The soundtrack is kind of small and not that good especially that one song that goes Da Da Da in "suspenseful" scenes.

Aw man :( I love Noir.
It isnt without its flaws, and Bee Train pulled a gonzo with making the show twice as long as it really needed to be, but I like the story and where it went. It felt like a very classy and mysterious show with great atmosphere thanks to Yuki Kajiura's excellent soundtrack and the film noir style approach. There were several shows of its kind made in that time period but I appreciated Noir the most.

Ranran's CD single is going to rock.

Not as much as Miku Maekawa's character song though!
Hers is so jazzy and smooth.

*BOUNCES

*SQUEALS

Midonin

Not as much as Miku Maekawa's character song though!
Hers is so jazzy and smooth.
Non, non. This is a new single! Though I'm sure Miku will be getting a new song (either solo or as part of a unit) during the course of the show herself. Columbia's got $$$ to make.

Thoraxes

If I had to choose a few...

OP:
Yurikuma Arashi (so fucking smooth, just perfect really)
Koufuku Graffiti (motherfucking Rasmus Faber x Maaya Sakamoto gloriousness)
Death Parade (fuck yeah)
Isuca (dat Afilia Saga, dat catchy guitar riff in the intro and between sections)
Cross Ange (dat powerful female singing voice, you can hear how she sings from the diaphragm, and it's pretty impressive during the chorus)

ED:
Shirobako (lelulelula lelulelulaa~)
Koufuku Graffiti (so cute, so catchy)
Yurikuma Arashi (the song coupled with the cute bear animation and changing BG art is great. Feel like dancing every time).
Jojo: Stardust Crusaders (really fucking good choice of music as always))

OST:
Yurikuma Arashi (a brilliant work by a great composer directed by someone who takes charge of it's use entirely in order to maximize the music's potential. Incredible usage of a lot of Bach's works very well-integrated into the series, too)
World Break (yo, Go Sakabe is the shit, the music was so good I had to look up who did it and started buying the older stuff he did)
Koufuku Graffiti (so soothing, and just perfect)
Shirobako (seriously, check out the full OST)
Jojo: Stardust Crusaders (while not as good as Battle Tendency's OST, still really good. Accentuates the right moments with the perfect music)

Thoraxes

Cross Ange 22

Supposed translated comments from Fukuda on Twitter about this week's...revelations:

http://i.imgur.com/EKlNczM.png

Hard to verify now b/c he's gone and made his Twitter private.

Basically, Fukuda doesn't give a fuck.

This is incredible. Just fucking going for it and not giving a shit. It's probably why Cross Ange is so awesome.

Oh yeah, instead of Tusk saying (Episode 22 spoliers)
how he survived, we'll just have him and Ange fuck in order to verify he's the real one, but only after she says she would've let him fuck her if she knew he was going to die.

This is probably the most thorough and thoughtful beat-down of poor visual storytelling in anime that I've read in quite some time http://deadlightanime.blogspot.com....atography-vs-amagis.html?utm_source=BP_recent

I can only see this breakdown as nitpicking since many of the aspect of this first episode and the focus on odd aspect of the cinematography are at odds because nothing is normal in the setting of grisaia.
We aren't meant to feel at ease toward the setting or the characters ..it's a calm before the storm situation. Yes describing the piece even when you can see it , is redundant , but it give info on other pieces and characters situations too.

So ..despite all the justifications... i can't shake this nitpicking off this opinion piece.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
You know what, Assassination Classroom has a really underrated OP and ED and even OST now that I think about it.

phaze

The best Ending of the season is definitely the one by Amazarashi for Tokyo Ghoul Root A, no competition. Each ending has it's own set of art by the Mangaka himself and they all tell a little story. Like this one for Hinami tells her story throughout the manga. Plus it has a older version of her, referencing the sequel Re. The band Amazarashi are really amazing especially their lyrics which sets the tone for what they are singing. People should really check them out because they are brilliant.

As for the Opening that goes to Death Parade because it has that funky vibe, which I love.

Same picks for me. Probably Yurikuma for the best ost.

Please, you are watching a Sunrise train wreck right now. You just refuse to acknowledge it!

Jarmel

Banned
I can only see this breakdown as nitpicking since many of the aspect of this first episode and the focus on odd aspect of the cinematography are at odds because nothing is normal in the setting of grisaia.
We aren't meant to feel at ease toward the setting or the characters ..it's a calm before the storm situation. Yes describing the piece even when you can see it , is redundant , but it give info on other pieces and characters situations too.

So ..despite all the justifications... i can't shake this nitpicking off this opinion piece.

It's not picking though because as the poster points out, there were other ways to convey certain narrative points visually and the director chose poorly. He actually went pretty light on the show as he could have torn into the lighting and how bland the lighting is in Grisai compared to Amagi or a more recent example, Your Lie in April.

Cinemeatography is a tool wielded by the director to emphasize emotions, plot points, and even relationships. It's not just Grisai that has really shitty framing, there are so many anime that don't even begin to cut mustard. Look at how badly Parasyte frames its shots.

tbh a bigger problem than the woeful cinematography is the awful use of colour saturation and bloom and i wouldn't describe the establishing shots (or anything) in amagi as "beautiful".

Amagi has very good framing in the first two episodes, mainly because of Takemoto. There are a couple of shots in the 2nd episode where Takemoto uses the closeup to emphasize the emotional importance to Kanye.

Articalys

Even preview: Koufuku Grafiti
Ah, yes, that's definitely the best of the season for next episode previews.
If I had to choose a few...

OP:
Koufuku Graffiti (motherfucking Rasmus Faber x Maaya Sakamoto gloriousness)
I had actually almost put that in my list too but already had the show for one of the best OST and wanted to spread the recognition around with fewer picks.
ED:
Yurikuma Arashi (the song coupled with the cute bear animation and changing BG art is great. Feel like dancing every time).
The song alone on this one is probably the best of the season, but I don't really care for the dancing bear and still-image endcards (even if they are nice).

Cross Ange 22

Right when I thought I understood this show. It's not surprising Tusk and Top Meido came back because no body = no death but the explanations are just trolling. This show is trolling us now. They offer no explanation for how Tusk came back except for in the preview which explains he swapped into flame resistant clothing at the last second which sounds like stupid bullshit but since Momoka survived by some Loony Tunes shit of having a frying pan concealed right where she was shot WHO KNOWS ANYMORE
Not to mention the episode opens with Embyro slapping Salia's ass because people might have forgotten what show it was since last week

Oh and then Ange and Tusk banged. No sir I don't like it. Is this what it feels like to be DTL?

Yatterman Night 09

Woah, what was up with the random Speed Racer reference? Are we going to see Casshern from Sins next episode?
How long is this going to be, it seems we're just now hitting the main plot but I could see it being 2cour. And was there anything significance to the OG series with skylarks?

--------------------------------------

Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls episode 8

Anyone else love how Anastastia pronounces Ranko's name?

It's the rolling R. So gud

OP - Death Parade, JoJo (IT'S A GOOD OP) and Yuribears
ED: Maria, JoJo, Yuribears
OST: Yuribears, JoJo

It would be a good idea, then it would be easier to avoid seeing that crap in the thread.

Yeah. Get that filth outta here!

Pfft your loss, suckas!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The best ED of the season was WUG Zoo's since it would change every week to reflect the jokes of the current episode so you had a reason to watch it every time.

His Edgar Wright and Jackie Chan one are real highlights.

Yup. I always felt like the vast majority of action movies or sequences just don't manage to excite me as much as the ones from Jackie back then and he pretty much explained why.

Similarly to the the video above concerning Fincher, a clean view on what's being portrayed is a god damn blessing. When Jackie Chan manhandles a bunch of thugs in a comedic, yet equally impressive choreography, that's just great. Meanwhile, when I saw Transformers 2 and I couldn't even tell what the fuck was supposed to be going on apart from some metal hitting other metal, I just noped right the fuck out.

When people defend these movies as "just dumb action movies" I can't take that seriously. Sure, they are dumb, but the action is so terrible that I get nothing out of it, meaning there's little left to enjoy.

edit:
Btw. that cleanliness aspect can be applied to games' visuals as well. Usually I don't want lens flare, film grain, bloom etc.

Tuck

Garo Episode 7
That was a weird episode. It was all over the place. Still don't know what the whole werewolf thing was about. Action was a bit iffy, as was the editing. Some of the scenes and cuts just seemed weird.

Crocodile

SPEAKING of action movies:

Kingsman - AOTY so far. I don't care if somebody has made that joke before but its true. Who was responsible for the action choreography and filming?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This is probably the most thorough and thoughtful beat-down of poor visual storytelling in anime that I've read in quite some time http://deadlightanime.blogspot.com....atography-vs-amagis.html?utm_source=BP_recent
i kind of hate everything about this. not a grisaia fan either so...yeah, but still, this kind of blog post is garbage.

first of all, grisaia is 1280 x 525, but these screenshots are from like....fucking i don't even know. someone must have done some fan thing where they just blew everything up and placed the subs on top of the shot. he's armchair analyzing the show while everything might as well be in hix-vision and the aspect ratio is balled up.

there's also just a general unawareness there. shots are misidentified by type, and there are a lot of skipped cuts that actually establish some amount of reasoning for why grisaia does what it does. certain elements, like the close up of the camera on the school's wall, are given context by establishing that it's something the main character is noticing and directly looking at.

also, this asshole turns off subs or something when he wants to whine about specific things to remove context. why does the show zoom in on the couch? because they literally just said that the facility includes all the furniture students need. this information isn't interesting at all, but it comes as a vestigial limb from the visual novel roots of grisaia. it's less a failing of the cinematography than it is of the storyboarding/script/etc.

there is a one-dimensional understanding of cinematography in this blog post that boxes in a single use for many shots. and for real "rule of thirds" dweebs that just read some article on wikipedia make me want to barf.

It's not picking though because as the poster points out, there were other ways to convey certain narrative points visually and the director chose poorly. He actually went pretty light on the show as he could have torn into the lighting and how bland the lighting is in Grisai compared to Amagi or a more recent example, Your Lie in April.

Cinemeatography is a tool wielded by the director to emphasize emotions, plot points, and even relationships. It's not just Grisai that has really shitty framing, there are so many anime that don't even begin to cut mustard. Look at how badly Parasyte frames its shots.

Amagi has very good framing in the first two episodes, mainly because of Takemoto. There are a couple of shots in the 2nd episode where Takemoto uses the closeup to emphasize the emotional importance to Kanye.

2 things :
-The blog writter itself tries to shake off the nitpick comment by agreeing that it might appear as a nitpick.
I feel this way despite the warning.
-I would argue that grisaia and your other exemple have vastly different goals and thus the comparaisons between 2 scenes don't hold much in my eyes.
-As for the light used in grisaia in many scenes across episode 1( and 2 ) it's nothing but a faithfull adaptation of the game in term of présentation.

what ? it's 3 things , now ?

Thoraxes

Ah, yes, that's definitely the best of the season for next episode previews.

I had actually almost put that in my list too but already had the show for one of the best OST and wanted to spread the recognition around with fewer picks.

The song alone on this one is probably the best of the season, but I don't really care for the dancing bear and still-image endcards (even if they are nice).

I see what you mean for both points.

This season has been really good for anime music in general. I'm quite pleased.

Tuck

Yatterman Night - Episode 1
Really, really good first episode. Great animation, funny, the characters are likeable and the premise is good. High hopes for this one.

Seiken tsukai no world break - 09

Oh no the MC just took that attack at point blank range while protecting somone , what will happen of him ? is he ....

Oh never mind the preview spoiled everything !

Dog Days S1
A pretty solid series. It avoids many of the shounen pitfalls and it makes an enjoyable series. It doesn't go too heavy on fanservice and the world has reasonable depth without being bleak. The protagonist isn't bad either, despite being overpowered, he is neither the pervert trope nor the useless with women trope. The story was pretty fun even though it was lacking in stakes for the most part.

Articalys

I see what you mean for both points.

This season has been really good for anime music in general. I'm quite pleased.
Over the last few seasons I've started to pay more attention to music in general, and especially started looking up who the composer is if I find myself really starting to enjoy a show's OST (if I wasn't aware of who it was already). I might not be able to reach the same levels of encyclopedic knowledge of directors and animators as some of the people here, but I can at least try to be more well versed in musicians!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

OP: Sengoku Musou (i don't even watch the show!) or Koufuku Graffiti
ED: The Rolling Girls or Junketsu no Maria
OST: Yurikuma Arashi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom