• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idolmaster Xenoglossia 12

Vzr2f2Vl.jpg

Was hoping she would pull the trigger. Chihaya never seems to catch a break.

The battle in the magma was hideous. Placing a cheap wavy red filter in front of the action not only failed to simulate lava but it was hard to tell what was going on behind it. The way Haruka resolved whatever was happening in the magma was confusing. I'm completely lost as to how punching the top of a hill rescues mecha trapped under several hundred meters of magma.

Midonin

Testament 10

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I was thinking that
Maria hadn't really betrayed our heroes. Her mother was being held hostage, so she only temporarily defected.
I, however, was not thinking that
she had a grown up, sexier succubus form that would she bring out to try and seduce Basara.
Dude's got a good enough sense of morals to know that now is not the time for that - he hasn't even gone down her route yet - and so it looks like this little story arc is continuing. Comparing this anime's use of sexuality with Maria the Virgin Witch could make for a very interesting essay... if I found the motivation to write it. Not since Daimidaler and Dai Shogun have I found two anime in the same season that share both names and themes that I could use a reference point.

It's not just about analyzing the best, after all.

Rhapsody

Banned
The actual question and solution of the mysteries aren't mind blowing, but the process of solving them (i.e 90% of the show thus far) are very entertaining.

Yeah, I liked it since it was neat seeing Oreki dissect what he could have of the littlest things and the possibilities they gave. Combine that with his personality, the dialogue was always amusing (and then there's the artistic direction during this). The methods he solved the mysteries were pretty much like Holmes on his observation skills.

Plus while the mysteries themselves weren't anything special, it really did fit with the setting of these characters. Most of the mysteries were questions that would come up in their lives, so I'm glad they didn't try to go for anything too big.

Yeah, I liked it since it was neat seeing Oreki dissect what he could have of the littlest things and the possibilities they gave. Combine that with his personality, the dialogue was always amusing (and then there's the artistic direction during this). The methods he solved the mysteries were pretty much like Holmes on his observation skills.

Plus while the mysteries themselves weren't anything special, it really did fit with the setting of these characters. Most of the mysteries were questions that would come up in their lives, so I'm glad they didn't try to go for anything too big.

Yup, keeping it more grounded was really appreciated in this portrayal of rather realistic characters. Oreki has a talent for deductive thinking but it's not so far out that it feels like a bullshit superpower.

I enjoyed some of the mystery case breakdowns entertaining enough even if there was no mind-bending resolution to anything.

cajunator

Banned
Date A Live 01

That doesn't sound good...

And then it cuts to little sister panties... But everything isn't what it seems, and the only way to save the world is with dating spirits? Uh-huh...

Date a Live is what I would call big dumb stupid fun. Kurumi is your goddess.
Unfortunately she comes in the show really late.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero set 2 cover art:

kghZEW6.jpg

Goddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Im buying this. I already fell for the YYY/Denki Gai combined set so now Im stuck lol.

And here's A Lull in the Sea boxset art:

G88119X.jpg

Motherfucking preordered!

I never actually watched this but hear so much good about it. Plus its really pretty!

Hahahaha, nah - I don't use the Azuki or Machi swings either, but that's because my Vita's are protected by Naka-chan and Piyo Piyo.

Photokano and Amagami (EbiCore+) are VNs.

Girls und Panzer is a tank battle action game. I hear it's OK, but the opponent AI being as dumb as two planks makes it way less fun than it could be.

575, Love Live School Idol Paradise and HaNaYaMaTa are all rhythm games. I've not played HaNaYaMaTa. Having played the Love Live game, it doesn't really shock me that Dingo was struck from the development of the Persona dancing game - it's pretty janky from a technical point of view, and it just makes the game feel mushy and unresponsive, which isn't exactly what you want from a rhythm game. How you go from Project Diva to that, I do not know.

575 is pretty fun, though. The gimmick is that they use Vocalioid technology, and the songs are predominantly written in haiku - at several points in the song it'll prompt you to arrange lyrics into the correct order, and it will dynamically sing whatever you put in regardless of how grammatically correct it is. Infact, there's modes in there which let you pretty much rewrite the lyrics for the entire song. The rhythm stuff around that is a little simple on anything other than the hardest difficulty settings, but it's fun enough regardless.

Thanks for the explanations. Unfortunately none of these game types really appeal to me though I can understand the popularity somewhat.

Yeah, I can understand the complaints, I got lost at tmes as well, and the ending was meh. They need to do a third episode to really continue the story and straighten everythign else abotu the creator and his true motives and
"the Seed"

I'll keep watching through Log Horrizon for now, i's been pretty fun so far, but for my next one, I had several great recomendations yesterday from Gaffers. Which of the below available on Crunchyroll would you say best delves into human relationships and love stories, and might have some action built into it? For some reason I've been in a modo lately and SAO hit the right mood for me and I'd like to see if there are more good ones out there. They can be a little dirty and jouvenile I'm not too worried about that, but a I've a sucker for the love tropes, lol.

Shin Sekai Yori (from the new world)
Cross Ange
The Irregular at Magic High School
Tengen Toppa
Gurren Lagann
Puella Magi Madoka
Katanagatari
Voices of a Distant Star
Puella Magi Madoka

Oh and on Log Horizon 1-6

It's pretty well written and really interesting so far, It's a different tone completely than SAO, but pretty good so far.

Voices of a Distant Star is the best example on that list. Very short, but powerful.
From The New World does have relationships but its not the focal point of the story and in very unusual circumstances.

DiGiKerot

Idolmaster Xenoglossia 12
Was hoping she would pull the trigger. Chihaya never seems to catch a break.

The battle in the magma was hideous. Placing a cheap wavy red filter in front of the action not only failed to simulate lava but it was hard to tell what was going on behind it. The way Haruka resolved whatever was happening in the magma was confusing. I'm completely lost as to how punching the top of a hill rescues mecha trapped under several hundred meters of magma.

Certain... Xenoglossia subtitles are all kinds of terrible, but from what I remember, what Haruka was doing was not specifically entirely about rescuing Makoto and Nebula - the issue is that the battle between Riffa and Makoto, and Hiems reaction to it, had caused sudden movement within the areas tectonic plates, which in turn were threatening to cause the entire area to crumble into the ocean. What Haruka did was use Imbers gravity-manipulation, in the form of a punch (which is pretty much how it always works), to deliver a pin-point strike directly into the plates to settle things down (which Riffa uses the opportunity to make off with Hiems core). Whilst it looked like she was punching the hill, she was actually punching inside it.

This episode of Xenoglossia is probably the worst in the series to come back and watch now, despite arguably having some of my favourite parts of the series in it. The thing about Xenoglossia is that it was really, really rooted in what was going on in other Sunrise productions of the time - we're talking the obvious spiritual forebarers of My-HiME and My-ZHiME (being produced by the same sub-studio, and sharing many of the planning staff), but also Gundam SEED, SEED Destiny and Code Geass. It was a show which revealed in the context of when it was produced, and this is kind of the point where it became really obvious what exactly it was they were doing with a lot of the show - the two episodes you've just watched very much have their basis in what was a common trope in many of those shows in which they'd strand two characters from opposing sides on an island somewhere. It happened in SEED with Athrun and Cagalli, and it happened again in Destiny with Shinn and Stellar. There's equivalents Geass and ZHiME as well.

The way that these mini-arcs normally go in these shows is that, whilst they both ultimately return to their own sides, the characters come to at least some kind of, perhaps begrudging, understanding, and start to question whether or not both sides in the conflict might actually be wrong. It's the motivator for change and character development.

The way it's handled in Xenoglossia, as it almost every occasion they make allusions to plot developments from other Sunrise shows (and there's some which are really blatantly obvious if you are particularly familiar with ZHiME), or just genre tropes in general, is that they take a really sudden turn right when you think it's leading towards the obvious conclusion. You saw it earlier in the series when all of Yukiho's hard-work and training came to absolutely naught, or when Makoto actually successfully screwed Iori over, and in this case, the joke, as it were, is that rather than coming to any kind of mutual understanding with Haruka,
Chihaya tries to kill her for having dared paint her robot Pink
. It's all super-meta, but it's dedication to trolling it's audience is one of the things I really like about Xenoglossia.

I heard people were praising Kurumi and came as quickly as I could.

Tobiichi isn't too bad yet :p

And I started to watch the show because of Kurumi.
Kurumi is a valid reason for starting the show, enjoying the show, naming the show AOTY and watching the 2nd season of the show. And ignore the heathens, Origami is the best DAL girl without a clock in her eye.

I'll just tell you guys ahead of time.

Spider girl best.
Denied. This is the era of mono-eye. I'm keeping a watchful eye on you and your immoral comrades.

phaze

Parasyte 22

Not quite convinced
that Migi is no more and I'm not even talking about whatever is growing out of Shinichi's arm now. Given all that we've learned about multiple parasytes in one body, I imagine the option of Gotou inserting Migi into himself is still on the table. This is anime, a world where people live when they're killed and this case doesn't even involve a human or a visible death. So yeah, Gotou gonna get wrecked through the power of friendship when the three of them meet again.

cajunator

Banned
This is what happens when everyone watches crap. New peeps come in, sees everyone watching it and gets scared off anime for life. Or gets turned into somebody who enjoys smut trash like Cross Ange, a much crueler fate.

This is true. but if he can enjoy SAO he can basically enjoy anything anime offers.

Well he came to the thread after discovering and enjoying Sword Art Online... He could like Cross Ange too lol.

Basically, yeah.

In memory of Araragi-kun.

This is amazing. Nisemonogatari changed the world.

Finished a shitty anime today and followed it up by powering through the entirety of a brilliant anime to forget about the first one.

Which shows did you watch?? Im curious.

Monster Musume is getting an adaptation this July! http://otakomu.jp/archives/233613.html …

OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDD

Midonin

Two of my most anticipated shows for next season are Pleiades and Nanoha Vivid. The magical girl show sponsored by a car maker, and the magical girl show set in a world where everyone is named after cars.

Though I know Nanoha also has that card game spinoff manga, and if Wixoss proved that card game anime can strike out, I'd love to have that. Mostly because I want to see the Materials animated in some form.

Cornbread78

Log Horizon Season 1:
- Alright GAF, I took your recomendation and have watched the entire first season thus far. It has been interesting, but lacking in action, and as you warned, there really has only been a very minor love relationship angle to it thus far. I'm hoping to start digging into season 2 tomorrow as the story thus far has been pretty promising and there is a lot of room to grow with both the characters as well as the plot lines.

Jex

i kind of hate everything about this. not a grisaia fan either so...yeah, but still, this kind of blog post is garbage.

[...]

there's also just a general unawareness there. shots are misidentified by type, and there are a lot of skipped cuts that actually establish some amount of reasoning for why grisaia does what it does. certain elements, like the close up of the camera on the school's wall, are given context by establishing that it's something the main character is noticing and directly looking at.

also, this asshole turns off subs or something when he wants to whine about specific things to remove context. why does the show zoom in on the couch? because they literally just said that the facility includes all the furniture students need. this information isn't interesting at all, but it comes as a vestigial limb from the visual novel roots of grisaia. it's less a failing of the cinematography than it is of the storyboarding/script/etc.

there is a one-dimensional understanding of cinematography in this blog post that boxes in a single use for many shots. and for real "rule of thirds" dweebs that just read some article on wikipedia make me want to barf.
I just wanted touch on this post before it becomes completely forgotten. I actually agree with a number of the complaints your raise and the writer certainly missed a fair amount of information. But that doesn't make all of his objections incorrect or all his analysis useless. Blindly applying visual tools like "the rule of thirds" to every single shot is foolish, but that doesn't mean that such tools aren't useful way to think about constructing and de-constructing shots.

Denied. This is the era of mono-eye. I'm keeping a watchful eye on you and your immoral comrades.

I want you to see! See how best Spider is!

Log Horizon Season 1:
- Alright GAF, I took your recomendation and have watched the entire first season thus far. It has been interesting, but lacking in action, and as you warned, there really has only been a very minor love relationship angle to it thus far. I'm hoping to start digging into season 2 tomorrow as the story thus far has been pretty promising and there is a lot of room to grow with both the characters as well as the plot lines.

Second season is a direct continuation. It's been pretty interesting this far but I think a lot of people don't like it as much as the first. Tell us how you fare continuing directly from the first with no 13 week break.

This could turn out pretty alright. I hope that Saitama will be drawn poorly and everyone else super well during a lot of scenes though. Still need the perfect VA for him.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 46
Pretty fantastic episode. Every Odd Eyes variant looks stunning. I need an Odd Eyes Rebellion Dragon. Such a wonderful effect and wonderful attention to detail for its attack. I wonder if other Yuuya variants will be building off this one.

Clov

DVD-only is pretty disappointing. I wonder if this will apply to future Gundam releases? Hopefully they'll reconsider later on.

Jex

DVD-only is pretty disappointing. I wonder if this will apply to future Gundam releases? Hopefully they'll reconsider later on.

I guess someone ran the numbers. It's not too surprising considering how badly BD's do in general, anime excluded.

Sure would need to for companies doing these kinds of releases to offer up a very small selection of BD's that fans could snap up if they wanted, but I imagine doing small runs for BD's isn't very economical.

Raide

Massively LttP on this one.

Started watching Psycho Pass (Its basically Japanese for Psychopath right?)

Some brutal stuff going on all the way thought but just got to Episode 15. Holy crap. Was not sure about the series in the first one or two episodes but its growing on me.

Massively LttP on this one.

Started watching Psycho Pass (Its basically Japanese for Psychopath right?)

Some brutal stuff going on all the way thought but just got to Episode 15. Holy crap. Was not sure about the series in the first one or two episodes but its growing on me.

It's not very popular around here but I watched it in 2 or 3 days after it was done and liked it well enough.
The second season is a different story though.
I still kinda look forward to the movie.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kancolle - 10

Fubuki - "Admiral, why did you pick me for your navy?"
Admiral - "Cos I had a wet dream."

This show has sunk to new depths.

Narag

Turn A Gundam is up for preorder. $33 on Rightstuf, DVD only. Has the first 25 episodes, sub only.

blurays plz :(

I guess someone ran the numbers. It's not too surprising considering how badly BD's do in general, anime excluded.

Sure would need to for companies doing these kinds of releases to offer up a very small selection of BD's that fans could snap up if they wanted, but I imagine doing small runs for BD's isn't very economical.

Wish they'd do stuff like how Media Blasters handled Macross way back when and attempt to get enough commitment from the customer base to make it worthwhile. If they hit the goal, good, everyone's happy. If not, oh well, there really wasn't enough interest to make it viable.

Quasar

I heard people were praising Kurumi and came as quickly as I could.

Kurumi is a valid reason for starting the show, enjoying the show, naming the show AOTY and watching the 2nd season of the show. And ignore the heathens, Origami is the best DAL girl without a clock in her eye..

She pretty much was worst to till the idol girl came along in S2. I guess of the spirits it was Tohka that I liked.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G Episode 12 Eng Dub

Incredible episode. I love when cfvanguard delivers the good storytelling, writing, and action. As Jaime would say, Be Still My Heart!
how Chrono managed to draw all four grades in that draw, fantastic belief powers!

Considering it's been vieable on YouTube since the beginning I don't see what the benefit of this is, especially since YouTube is available on almost any device now.

I dunno why either but anything to get others to watch it!

Is that the one where everyone is excited because the dude bangs his aunt?

Naw man they ain't banged yet that's 400 chapters off!
The main premise of the series is just cockteasing until that point anyway

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is that the one where everyone is excited because the dude bangs his aunt?

This is exactly what it is. Its gross. Based on manga-GAF reviews, its a story about some dude that seduces women to have sex with him as part of a game or something that his blood related aunt makes him do. When he is successful in tricking girls into having sex with him, she rewards him by having him suck her breasts (this is why people call it Aunt Tits).

Narag

Gundam Build Fighters Try 22

This show has some of the most unearned character moments. Not just in anime but in all of fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom