• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Them firing arrows that turn into planes was probably the best way they could think of to represent aircraft carriers launching their planes.

~wan

Yeah, somebody told me that in the other thread, but I still found it strange, tbh. Maybe she could be a summoner? But I digress, arrows are a cool weapon and in the end people liked it.

Another cross post:

Also, I liked the Abyssals more than most of the "good girls", to be honest. They were there, on their base, minding their own business, and then the ship girls come and fuck everything up.

And yes, I know that they drove people out of the seas, but maybe that's because it is their home? Like bears who attack people who make houses in the woods?

Bets should not be taken lightly. Especially here.

My bet with Mikehattsu was pretty good. TTGL for Steins;Gate.

Ooh, and before that, I can't forget the bet I made with Woofington. Kino's Journey for Baccano!

Not to mention my most recent bet, Fate/Zero for FMP with Corvo was good. Still working on getting to the Second Raid though, after I finish Strike Witches S2.

Mikehattsu

pretty good

p7mygoesr2.gif

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I really need to watch Yuri Kuma Arashi. But I got no motivation.

Do it for me! :D

Kancolle 1

I don't get it.

Also I don't know who any of these people are.

Only ones you need to care about are Nagato and Mutsu.

KanColle - 01

JLXfyV2.png
Oa6ZI8b.png

37Htdeu.png
V0vFCtC.png

:sdburton

Y'know I enjoyed this. And why am I not surprised they painted
Akagi and Kaga as the top tier ships in the squadron.
Fubuki was crushing on the former hard too, can't wait to see what comes out of it.

im-on-a-boat.gif

Time to ship some ships!

Andrew J.

Lesbian Bear Storm 01

Some parts of this show looked like what I imagine a direct feed of SDBurton's subconscious would be.

Everytime I think I got a handle on the symbolism, something new came up. The analysis brought up earlier that the humans are Class S/romantic friendship/akogare/"fake lesbians" and the bears are actual lesbians and/or lesbianism still rings broadly true, but there's criticism of the "nail that sticks up gets hammered down" attitude as well. And I have no idea what's up with the courtroom.

Kancolle 1
Sort interesting with all the girls and them being different types of ships but I probably can't remember half of them and the action was kind of meh aside from the arrows turning into planes.

Midonin

Minimizing the Admiral's presence and focusing on the girl themselves in KanColle was a good move. Makes me wonder what they're going to do with the Producer for Cinderella Girls. I'm not expecting him to be the same Producer as the first iM@S anime, but will he be a cousin or something?

Took 11 episodes.

But I finally like Mikado now.

The whole founder of the Dollars and the cellphone thing he did to the brocon was cool.

So was the death and head fakeout.

Bonus points because of the dejected look on loverboy's face after mastermind Izaya mocked him.

Shinra is still an asshole though.

Think I like him even less after lying to Celty.

Stulaw

So I binge watched both seasons of Eureka Seven and the first season of Love Live! in the space of a week, finished Love Live! just now.

Eureka Seven Dub
I ended up liking the dub despite Johnny Yong Bosch constantly calling Eureka "El-wreck-a" instead of "E-U-Re-ka", I chose to watch the dub on Netflix because I heard that it wasn't bad, and that the subtitles were hard to read when trying to watch the action.

Anyway, I liked the story, Renton being a naive, selfish brat didn't really bother me, I know that he loved all the media about the Gekko State and saw them as heroes, but I have no idea how it wasn't obvious that they were in a war and that he put himself in danger by going with them. He didn't seem to learn from his mistakes often, but
I do see how he didn't understand much, he was still a kid, and suddenly he had a lot of responsibility he didn't grow up with any parents as well, which I guess influenced his attitude.

Eureka started off as an almost emotionless young girl who could talk to the Mecha she was in (I actually thought she was an android) to an emotional wreck who only seemed to care about what Renton thought of her was a bit weird at first, but I guess
Being a blank piece of paper (despite being around for 14+ years) and a Coralian sort of explained it.

Holland was quite a good character in a way, he's selfish and treated Renton like shit sometimes but Renton did need a bit of sense knocked into him at some points. Holland came through in the end and is pretty much the main protagonist in some episodes. I did sort of expect it when it turned out that
Dewy was his brother, although Dewy killing himself was unexpected.

I liked Charles and Ray, their back-story was pretty good and they taught Renton some things he needed to know.
It did seem a bit sudden that they were willing to adopt Renton as their son pretty easily, but they were pretty easy going with his mistakes costing them as well.

Anemone and Dominic were weird ones, I liked their characters but I don't think they were in it enough.
When Anemone was introduced, Dominic seemed to have only just been assigned to her yet he was in love with her. Anemone's origins as an experiment from Warsaw desperation disease was different was different from what I expected, I thought she would have been some sort of brainwashed Coralian rather than an imitation of Eureka, I always thought theEND was an imitation of Nirvash though.

The ending made sense, although
there being no real sign of Renton or Eureka was a bit odd, as was typeZero having a female voice despite Eureka always referring to it as 'he', although that may have just been her preference. Oh, and the "it was Earth all along" aspect was pretty obvious.
Oh and
I still don't understand the "limit of questions" thing, or how it would rip a hole in the universe if the Coral Scrub were destroyed, but I knew that Renton's Dad and Sister didn't just die and ended up in the Scub Coral
I'll try and find AO somewhere so I can continue enjoying the story.

Love Live! School Idol Project Season 1

I watched this because I've been playing the rythm game on Android and enjoyed the songs. This is actually the first Idol focused anime that I've watched.

First, I thought the 3D was a bit robotic, but it did its job, it's a bit weird after doing an animation module at Uni, I see things and think, "that doesn't look right" a bit more often now, although some of it was a bit too obvious.

The story being about saving the School was fine, although I did find that Honoka was (and still is) an incredibly selfish person, she's a great motivator though and gets things done
I was happy when Umi slapped her round the face at the end of episode 12 though.
I liked most of the girls, except Rin, she had no character development, or hardly any lines at all, it's like she's there for the sake of it.

I'm not sure if my favourite girl is Kotori or Nozomi, although judging from the game, I guess it's kotori (I even have a pure team made almost entirely of Kotori, called Pure Kotori). I also liked the alpaca, and I've just found out that it's a rare card in the game.

The series was far too short though, and I'm glad there's a season 2 to look forward to, although I'm not sure what they'll do with it.

biggest flaw in the Prison School anime will be that it won't get far along enough to when the manga becomes truly amazing

that and the art

cajunator

Banned
Re: Ikuhara

Is Penguindrum worth watching? I've heard some conflicting things about the anime, but I wonder if it's ultimately worth checking out.

I'm definitely going to watch Utena when I can. (Though 39 episodes + a movie... jeeeez)

Absolutely it is worth watching! It is not without its faults though and sometimes the show gets REALLY Ikuhara. I advise taking it in doses.
Same with Utena, though I think just about everyone should at least watch some of Utena to appreciate it.

The Testament of Sister New Devil Episode 1:

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, so much nope, all of the nope, dropped like it was on fire.

LOL. I think I gotta watch this to see what prompts such extreme reactions.

Tsuritama 2

A nice, low-key episode. It looks like all of the major characters have been introduced now. I'm guessing this will end up being a coming of age story for Yuki. I definitely feel for the poor guy, anxiety sucks.

As an aside, Haru totally reminds me of Teddie from Persona 4. The resemblance is uncanny!

Ah, good to hear. I'll add it to my backlog then.

Tsuritama is definitely a coming of age story. It just happens to have aliens and really large fish in it.

@FUNimation
FUNimation has acquired the rights for Maria the Virgin Witch for our Winter 2015 Simulcast!

Funi really mopped up this season. Could it finally be time to subscribe to their....
NAH its terrible.

cajunator

Banned
One very big reason I don't do pre-airs is because they leave out the OP and ED. What's the point of watching an episode early if there's no theme songs to set the mood?

I have no idea what a pre-air is >_<

My bet with Mikehattsu was pretty good. TTGL for Steins;Gate.

Ooh, and before that, I can't forget the bet I made with Woofington. Kino's Journey for Baccano!

Not to mention my most recent bet, Fate/Zero for FMP with Corvo was good. Still working on getting to the Second Raid though, after I finish Strike Witches S2.

Those arent watchbets, those are gentlemans agreements. a watchbet is Yami. a Watchbet is Apocalypse Zero. THOSE are watchbets!

I'll try and find AO somewhere so I can continue enjoying the story.

Please dont do this. Its honestly not good. Not in a "not as good as the original but still watchable" but morel ike it retcons and basically destroys everything youl oved about the first series. Thats not to say that I didnt find things to like in it, because I still enjoy the setting and some of the characters (I like Elena Peoples for example) but man does it fall short of what makes the original great. Except the kids. I hate the kids in E7. I will never ever ever like those fucking kids.

Re: Ikuhara

Is Penguindrum worth watching? I've heard some conflicting things about the anime, but I wonder if it's ultimately worth checking out.

I'm definitely going to watch Utena when I can. (Though 39 episodes + a movie... jeeeez)

It's one of my favorite shows of recent years. It's definitely a polarizing show, but it explores some pretty interesting themes and has some great character moments (and it manages to have some really great comedy, too).

Whatever you wind up thinking of the show, it's definitely a series you need to watch and form your own opinion on.

cajunator

Banned
Kancolle 01

This just gets a big "meh" from me so far. Not as engaging as Strike witches or Girls und Panzer. It felt really by the numbers for this kind of show. I can appreciate the WW2 references and such now but it just didnt grab me like the other moe military shows. Plus no Hamakaze. Ill watch it but its not high priority.

cajunator

Banned
OK, so Love Live! season 2 it is then.

I'll read the spoilers for AO and save myself the pain.

Great idea. Honestly you really are better off not watching it and I say that as someone who actually didnt completely hate it like some people here do. It really does spit in the face of the original and thats not an exaggeration.

Prison School was amazing from the very beginning.

Yea, but everything after Kiyoshi proves himself to be
a true ass man
is on another level compared to the beginning.

How so? They've stuck pretty close to it.

Well, a lot of complaints I've seen here about various things (Murano, stupid childhood friend, etc.) I felt were much better done in the manga. Like I see lots of people have issues with Murano and her interactions with Shinichi on here, but in the manga they all seemed pretty inoffensive. Maybe it's the medium (time spent reading pages vs. time spent watching a scene) but I think her manga counterpart is much better.

javac

It's one of my favorite shows of recent years. It's definitely a polarizing show, but it explores some pretty interesting themes and has some great character moments (and it manages to have some really great comedy, too).

Whatever you wind up thinking of the show, it's definitely a series you need to watch and form your own opinion on.

Its a weird show, whenever I look at it the designs and art it really puts me off, but for awhile that actually intrigued me in this "If you can't beat them, join them" kind of attitude due to it being almost impossible to avoid these types of shows, almost to the point that what I can only describe as ironically liking the art for a while and seeing people champion it and not wanting to judge a book by it's cover so to speak kept me from 100% dismissing it..but man the designs and art are terrible. What is up with the outfit, jeez. :$ I'm 100% sure the themes are interesting, the art fits into it all in a way that breaks the 4th wall of some crap, and it 'deconstructs the genre!' by reading the synopsis and all that and I'm sure the story would end up being nothing what I expect but I can't do it. Not a bit deal I guess, just annoys me that they make these what I assume to be interesting ideas and wrap them up in a garbage exterior.

cajunator

Banned
Its a weird show, whenever I look at it the designs and art it really puts me off, but for awhile that actually intrigued me in this "If you can't beat them, join them" kind of attitude due to it being almost impossible to avoid these types of shows, almost to the point that what I can only describe as ironically liking the art for a while and seeing people champion it and not wanting to judge a book by it's cover so to speak kept me from 100% dismissing it..but man the designs and art are terrible. What is up with the outfit, jeez. :$ I'm 100% sure the themes are interesting, the art fits into it all in a way that breaks the 4th wall of some crap, and it 'deconstructs the genre!' by reading the synopsis and all that and I'm sure the story would end up being nothing what I expect but I can't do it. Not a bit deal I guess, just annoys me that they make these what I assume to be interesting ideas and wrap them up in a garbage exterior.

You talking about Princess of the Crystal's penguin outfit? I reallllly disagree. Especially in figurine form its a very interesting outfit design.

e_i

Testament of a Sister Devil episode 1

Plot twist? Oh, I'll plot twist your plot twist!
Thank god the MC isn't stupid fucker.

Blusby

Well, a lot of complaints I've seen here about various things (Murano, stupid childhood friend, etc.) I felt were much better done in the manga. Like I see lots of people have issues with Murano and her interactions with Shinichi on here, but in the manga they all seemed pretty inoffensive. Maybe it's the medium (time spent reading pages vs. time spent watching a scene) but I think her manga counterpart is much better.

The content, the dialogue, the point of her scenes were the same. Her scenes in the manga, just like in the anime were to question Shinichi about his change in persona which would then irritate the guy and serve to remind the readers "HEY THE MAIN CHARACTER HAS TOTALLY CHANGED". The childhood friend in the manga too had all the information needed to do something more thought out about Akira Ishida-kun but like in the anime went with the same dumb plan, given her vacant characterization there isn't much if anything in the way to justify her choice of action.

Murano is just one of the issues though, I definitely didn't drop the show solely because of her.

javac

You talking about Princess of the Crystal's penguin outfit? I reallllly disagree. Especially in figurine form its a very interesting outfit design.

Yeah, absolutely despise it. I'm sure it has its nuances and reasons for the way it looks, just looks like garbage to me from the offset.

HEROMAN - 19

Oh my goodness this arc was boring.

Well, boring compared to two episodes ago. anyway.

It probably would have been better if these two episodes came before episode 17. Because something interesting happened in that episode and I would very much like to see it continued quickly!

Those vines better have some decent significance to this arc, otherwise this little mini-arc was completely pointless and should have just been an OVA or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom