• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

Dear _____

I'm afraid we've been trying to get hold of Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo - Limited Edition Combo Pack (Catalog Number: MANB3511) for some time now, but unfortunately we have now learnt that our suppliers have withdrawn this item from sale.
I'm very sorry that we will not be able to fulfil your order for this item but we are certain that we will not be able to get any more of it.

We have now removed it from our site. As we cannot get this item, we have removed it from your order.
If you had other items on this order they will not have been affected and will still be sent to you as normal.
You can view and check the latest status of your order at http://www.base.com/account.

Kind regards,
So my pre-order is gone, I wonder when it comes out :p

Its a weird show, whenever I look at it the designs and art it really puts me off, but for awhile that actually intrigued me in this "If you can't beat them, join them" kind of attitude due to it being almost impossible to avoid these types of shows, almost to the point that what I can only describe as ironically liking the art for a while and seeing people champion it and not wanting to judge a book by it's cover so to speak kept me from 100% dismissing it..but man the designs and art are terrible. What is up with the outfit, jeez. :$ I'm 100% sure the themes are interesting, the art fits into it all in a way that breaks the 4th wall of some crap, and it 'deconstructs the genre!' by reading the synopsis and all that and I'm sure the story would end up being nothing what I expect but I can't do it. Not a bit deal I guess, just annoys me that they make these what I assume to be interesting ideas and wrap them up in a garbage exterior.

Lily Hoshino's designs for Penguindrum are really quite good though. She's an excellent designer.

javac

Apparently Khara took Funi back to start for it or something, they didn't like how it was done.

Yeah that was the word on the street, still its not available at all now in the UK to pre-order, I wonder if they'll issue a statement. Maybe the product has changed to such a degree that the prior orders are irrelevant now. Manga in the UK has had a lot of people leave and they've been changing many Blu-ray releases to DVD only so maybe that has a play in it.

The content, the dialogue, the point of her scenes were the same. Her scenes in the manga, just like in the anime were to question Shinichi about his change in persona which would then irritate the guy and serve to remind the readers "HEY THE MAIN CHARACTER HAS TOTALLY CHANGED". The childhood friend in the manga too had all the information needed to do something more thought out about Akira Ishida-kun but like in the anime went with the same dumb plan, given her vacant characterization there isn't much if anything in the way to justify her choice of action.

Murano is just one of the issues though, I definitely didn't drop the show solely because of her.

The anime did make changes to the interactions between Shinichi and Murano, especially at the moment he "snaps" (they don't even happen in the same place!) It seeks to make their interactions and conflicts much more dramatic than they appear in the manga. The point of the scenes is the same but the way the anime handles them is much worse/more annoying.

And the childhood friend in the manga is a minor character that literally appears for like 1 chapter before disappearing again. I know they couldn't just do that in the show but attaching that level of stupidity to a side character feels that is presumably somewhat important makes the scene seem much worse than if it was some rando you didn't give a shit about.

But I think we just disagree with the quality of story, so there probably isn't a lot of point to this debate here lol

Clov

hmm, my buddy who saw it in theaters vouched for it and he's pretty critical of dubs. I wonder what they didn't like about it.

Given that Khara's also redoing the subtitles themselves, it's very likely to be an issue with Funimation's translation in general.

KanColle 01

There's nothing I actually dislike about it, and I feel like I should be enjoying it a lot more than I currently am, but I'm just not feeling it. Maybe after a few more episodes where I get to know more of the characters.

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam Build Try-13

Absolutely great. Why can't Try be this good all the time? This episode, and really the whole Training Camp arc so far, has shown how terrible most of the first cour was. The side characters are better, the main characters are showing growth, the battles are better, and hell even the music has some life to it now.

Really hoping that the 2nd half continues with the energy it has now.

ibyea

Banned
Well I haven't looked yet, is it that bad?

I personally didn't hate it, but it is meh at best. There are some interesting concepts at the beginning, but it doesn't have anything to the spirit of the original show. It feels completely different, and it is not that good either.

Jarmel

Banned
Parasyte-13

What's amazing about this show, and I mean terrible, is that the show has so many good potential plot threads to follow but it instead focuses on the love drama aspect. How many times do I need to see Shinichi break up to get the point across that he's not the same? It's lazy and redundant storytelling. Hell, we have a detective following him and yet it keeps going back to that 'girlfriend' in the same circular manner.

Strike Witches S2 - 10

It was pretty interesting to see a
Witch V.S. Witch fight
in this episode. Those don't happen too often in this show.

Even so, this episode was pretty much just okay though. There were much stronger episodes than this one.

TUSR

Banned
Strike Witches S2 - 10

It was pretty interesting to see a
Witch V.S. Witch fight
in this episode. Those don't happen too often in this show.

Even so, this episode was pretty much just okay though. There were much stronger episodes than this one.
The movie and new OVA are really good.

Lain

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis 11-12

Good enough closure for a show that I enjoyed thoroughly. It wasn't anything deep but the chemistry between the characters, the character art, the pacing, the dickish main character and inserting Jeanne d'Arc in the whole thing made it something I liked to watch from start to end.
Slightly older
Favaro
was pretty cool looking.

e7mar.jpg

Yeah, I remember seeing that in a youtube clip. I have no idea why they decided to go for an
alternate universe
setup.

I imagine quite a few people were confused going in from the show.

Robotguy

Oh and
I still don't understand the "limit of questions" thing, or how it would rip a hole in the universe if the Coral Scrub were destroyed, but I knew that Renton's Dad and Sister didn't just die and ended up in the Scub Coral

I love E7. :)

Regarding your spoiler, a couple of years ago I happened to rewatch E7 and reread
Blood Music by Greg Bear
within a couple of weeks and I now believe that some aspects of the ending of the former are based upon the latter.
Blood music deals with the production of intelligent bacteria through bio-engineering. Ultimately the bacteria pretty much overruns the world. Eventually, signs appear that reality is becoming unstable. The explanation of this is that reality is influenced to some degree by the way it is perceived by intelligent observers. The extreme concentration of intelligent bacteria then resulted in rapid changes to reality. The bacteria eventually recognize this, and realizing that they are a threat to the stability of this universe, they coordinate to use their collective reality manipulation power to cross over into a different reality. I think there are some parallels between this and the ending of E7, and the fact that the "limit of life" (or limit of questions in the dub) is introduced by a character partly named after Greg Bear reinforces the idea that it's partly based off of his work. Per my interpretation the limit of life is the same problem that appears in blood music, in which too many intelligent observers can detrimentally influence reality.

I feel that noticing the connection with the above mentioned work enhanced my understanding of E7, so hopefully it will help you with the your spoilered stuff there.

Narag

Kantai Collection 1

fInIJGOl.jpg

I can't tell if the girls are normal sized or just huuuuuuuuuge because my only frame of reference are the planes.

I was right to exclude this from the OP as it's kind of an inept derivative product that mimics shows that came before it in the most formulaic way possible.

will continue.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 114

Now that I'm essentially caught up, let's review:

-Johnny-sensei is best
-Kaede is best idoru
-Fuck Mizuki

...That's the basics, anyway.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, absolutely despise it. I'm sure it has its nuances and reasons for the way it looks, just looks like garbage to me from the offset.

sorry you dont like it. Im a huge fan of the designs and overall aesthetic of the show.

AO was good.

It had Chiaki Omigawa.

Well that made it tolerable but not really good. Thank god Chiaki was there to give it ANY hope.

KanColle 01

There's nothing I actually dislike about it, and I feel like I should be enjoying it a lot more than I currently am, but I'm just not feeling it. Maybe after a few more episodes where I get to know more of the characters.

Yeah its not BAD or anything just really really mediocre. It just does what people expect it to do and then the episode is over. Nothing is fresh or surprising.

Oh god, I forgot how much I missed a good despair show.

watch Saikano

Mik317

Yurikuma 1

waaaaaaaaat.

I legit don't know wtf I just watched...like seriously wtf just happened..wat is even. argdhgjgk

will be back next week because I need to know where this is even going..but yeah wat

Jarmel

Banned
Yuki Yuna-09
ibpYDKsogeUjnr.png

The faeries making sure that the meal doesn't spoil. I also like how they don't really address Togo trying to commit suicide over 10 times in the first place. Jesus Christ.

Oh god, the suffering was off the charts. That phone call was the best timing I've ever seen. I feel like Taisha is even more fucked up than Kyubey. Kyubey didn't out and out lie to the girls, he just omitted stuff. Here, Taisha is flat out lying to them to make them more placent.

The worse suffering that can befall people like this, is for the suffering to happen to others. In some ways this is kinda worse than Madoka. Here they have the option not to fight but if they don't, many people will die. God damn, Urobuchi would be proud.

Oh and the music has been on point.

Edit:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

THAT INTRO FOR EPISODE 10

Oh god, this is too much.

Jarmel

Banned
Yuki Yuna-10
iYKipdUth9oia.png

How the fuck did we end up here?
Oh man this suffering train has no brakes. Madoka 10 worthy, easily. One thing I picked up in the previous episodes was how you're never shown the faces of any of the adults, even when they're talking to one of the characters. Wouldn't you know it that
they're in on it too. Also would explain why they're so accommodating of some girls becoming disabled randomly.
I also didn't expect Togo's little discovery.
I knew something was off about the world, mainly in how it was depicted as sort of dead and limited. Turns out that they're living on a literal ball of fire. Holy fucking shit.
They really can't stop fighting either. Oops.
imNVZhrk7ZxPC.png

This was a great foreshadowing hint. A job well done to the staff.
I should mention that when MONACA is working on full cylinders, they really are. Emi Evans (you know her as the vocalist from Nier) really adds a lot to the OST and her vocals elevate it.

Kantai Collection 1
mm. mmhmm. mmm.
I have no idea what these people are talking about.
Other than that, feels like I have seen this cycle of events before....oh well.

Junketsu no Maria 1
20% Blushing, 120% A virgin.
and lol at that Jeanne d'Arc reference

PK Gaming

The OST work in Yuki Yuna is goddamn amazing

Easily my favorite anime OST of 2014

I'm interested in seeing your thoughts on episode 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom