• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Ep. 1-3

iSOuy3f.jpg

This is a big one on my Pile of Shame. I know a few people who consider this one of their favorite anime of all time. I'm not well versed in the Super Robot genre in general, so I thought this would be a great place to give it a go.

There's a lot of interesting stuff here. The show was clearly produced with a lot of love from the design side. The mechanical design is amazing. I don't love all of it, but even the stuff I don't like I admire. All the ships and mechs look unique and interesting, yet they all have clear reasons for being designed how they are. It is somehow simultaneously over-the-top super robot and still feels grounded in reality. The world has been given equal attention. The show does a really great job taking advantage of the vastness of space. The stuff dealing with the repercussions of relativity is absolutely fascinating and I hope they explore it more.

One of the things I most admire about these first 3 episodes is the dedication the show has to the build up. It's amazing that half way through, we've yet to get a good glimpse of the enemies or even the main robot. They remain an enigma, and that builds their prestige. It really made the first major fight in episode 3 feel frightening and overwhelming. These attacking blurs that we have little clue what they are or where they're from carried a lot of impact.

The show isn't without its problems, though. The cast is pretty terrible. There's just nothing there yet. The main character is as bland as she could be and the supporting cast has nothing really to offer aside from some unique designs. It makes the drama hard to care about. The high school style drama in general just really falls flat for me. In the vastness of a terrifying space conflict, to care about who gets along with who and why doesn't really work, especially when I don't care about the cast. Perhaps that's the point. Showing the pettiness of our day-to-day conflicts in the vastness of the universe, but if that's the case it hasn't sold itself well on that front.

Which brings me to my main disappointment so far. The show isn't all that thematically daring or subversive. There isn't much to set it apart outside of its mechanical design and animation. Coming in with all these "one of the best of all time" reviews, I expected way more. To be among the top, I want a show to really try to push itself in some way that's beyond animation, and so far this hasn't done that. Perhaps that's just a huge side-effect of the build up heavy first half. I fully bet it is, but right now the show isn't anything all that special and that's making me a bit sad. I'm still excited to see where it goes, because it has potential to do something really interesting if it wants to.

yami4ct

I can too but man, I can't think of a worse stopping point to reflect on things.

In writing up old shows, breaking into halves or quarters is just a super easy way to break it up. Just ended up working against Gunbuster this time.

can't truly write off until you see THE POSE.

I haven't written off anything. Episodes 1-2 were pretty bad, but I'm already seeing the seams in Episode 3 where the show can explode into something great. How much I like that great thing and how much of there terrible first few episode I can forgive remains to be seen.
That's also the fun part of breaking reviews up this way.

JCG

Gunbuster starts with Hideaki Anno channeling Osamu Dezaki's style and flair for melodrama (particularly with the many transparent references to classic sports title Aim for the Ace!) and, speaking more broadly, combining lots of elements from what otaku found to be fashionable at the time. If you don't quite have similar sensibilities and an open mindset when approaching the series, you might well come out of the initial set of episodes with that sort of mixed to negative impression.

It's the rest of the show that makes Gunbuster shine, but as a fan of that kind of Dezaki melodrama, I will never say that the first episodes are bad, despite readily acknowledging they are clearly not for everyone.

Shinmai Maou no Keiyakusha 1

Everything about the way this progresses is ridiculous. Starts off as your typical fake incest story before going nuts with a genre shift presented in a way I can only describe as "pure chuuni". There's no buildup for it and just unapologetically adds layers to the premise without a hint of cohesion.

Will keep up with it.

Vito

Banned
Ore Monogatari!! staff:

Director: Morio Asaka (Chihayafuru)
Series Composition: Natsuko Takahashi
Character Design: Kunihiko Hamada (Chihayafuru)
Studio: MADHOUSE

Cast:

Takeo Gōda: Takuya Eguchi
Rinko Yamato: Megumi Han
Makoto Sunakawa: Nobunaga Shimazaki

Shinmai Maou no Keiyakusha 1

Everything about the way this progresses is ridiculous. Starts off as your typical fake incest story before going nuts with a genre shift presented in a way I can only describe as "pure chuuni". There's no buildup for it and just unapologetically adds layers to the premise without a hint of cohesion.

Will keep up with it.

Having read some of the manga, this beginning is probably the most interesting part of it all. After this it becomes pretty standard fare.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Gunbuster starts with Hideaki Anno channeling Osamu Dezaki's style and flair for melodrama (particularly with the many transparent references to classic sports title Aim for the Ace!) and, speaking more broadly, combining lots of elements from what otaku found to be fashionable at the time. If you don't quite have similar sensibilities and an open mindset when approaching the series, you might well come out of the initial set of episodes with that sort of mixed to negative impression.

It's the rest of the show that makes Gunbuster shine, but as a fan of that kind of Dezaki melodrama, I will never say that the first episodes are bad, despite readily acknowledging they are clearly not for everyone.

image.php

I detect bias!

JCG

image.php

I detect bias!

You think?

I won't deny it, since Gunbuster represents a lot of what I enjoy about anime both past and present, but I do think there is value in having a mindset that is friendly towards the use of retro-style techniques in anime production, even if some of them have become inevitably dated in the eyes of a newer or simply more critical audience.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I miss 80's/90's character designs.
tbf 90's is a really mixed bag when it comes to chara designs, some are great and some are just awful.

p.s.

VOTOMS ep3

a distinct lack of Woodo's bitter coffee but next ep looks hype

You think?

I won't deny it, since Gunbuster represents a lot of what I enjoy about anime both past and present, but I do think there is value in having a mindset that is friendly towards the use of retro-style techniques in anime production, even if some of them have become inevitably dated in the eyes of a newer or simply more critical audience.

Gunbuster is still top 5 mecha series at least IMO

fuck Diebuster

Jarmel

Banned
Well no Oshii

Staff in teaser

General director & character designer: Kazuchika Kise
Screenplay: Tow Ubukata
Music: Cornelius
Director:Kazuya Nomura
Animation Director:Toru Okubo
Animation Production: Production I.G.

Abadon all hope, ye who enter here

Well no Oshii

Staff in teaser

General director & character designer: Kazuchika Kise
Screenplay: Tow Ubukata
Music:Cornelius
Director:Kazuya Nomura
Animation Director:Toru Okubo
Animation Production: Production I.G.

Abadon all hope

So we should expect more Arise.

Considering GiTs isn't very good in the first place and is simply highly over-rated I don't see why anyone expected Arise to even be halfway decent or anything. I expect very little out of this movie.

~wan

faridmon

Considering GiTs isn't very good in the first place and is simply highly over-rated I don't see why anyone expected Arise to even be halfway decent or anything. I expect very little out of this movie.

~wan

wrong Stand Alone Complex is probably better than your favourite Anime.

Blusby

Since all anime is bad and I'll inevitable be burned by everything this season bar yuri bears I decided to pick up Silver Fang, I'm ready.

wrong Stand Alone Complex is probably better than your favourite Anime.
Kaiba will never be topped in my book.

Turn A Gundam 5

5UGMFXY.jpg

Claw machine prize

You know I really admire the fighting spirit of the Earthlings. Despite being vastly outmatched technologically they certainly haven't chosen to simply bend over and let the Moonrace take what they want and they actually see to think things through and plan despite all these disadvantages. That said there is something morbidly hilarious about a person with a hammer hitting a mobile suit. I'm curious to see if and when an anti-war faction begins to grow strength among the Earthlings.

~wan wan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom