• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

It's gonna be a real downer when this uplifting show ends with Zuka's unfortunate suicidefatal accident.

The manga publisher HAS to be held responsible for all of this disruptive nonsense at some point, right? Right?
Nah... this is too nice of a show to use Zuka in such a moody outcome, drumming that (ever present on the industry) career-fail message.
The author, not-Mr. Nogami, will demand a final episode that will include as an introduction a new character from an upcoming story arc he has been developing, and that she will voice! :-D

Here you will find non of that viciousness in a toxic working environment that kicks you further when you are down, that is not something they want to showcase as apparently they want to remain as light entertainment, attractive to a more general audience, and fairly educative without being overtly realistic on a non-colourful depiction unlike what we've seen until now. I sincerely don't expect from them such a crude moralizing use of a lively character just to prove a point like that! And least not in a downer way, but maybe accompanied at the very end with an encouragement for a future full of brightness and hope.

Missed this earlier. Looks really nice. Keiichi Hara is an excellent director, the only rival to Hosoda for best active Japanese animated film director now that Miyazaki and Takahata are essentially retired. I would await any film of his with excitement, but especially one with such interesting subject matter as this. Can't wait to see it... whenever I'm able to.

FluxWaveZ

Shirobako 22

What a heartfelt episode. It felt different than recent ones, focusing more on the subtleties of character interactions and how they relate to the characters' positions in the industry, with several extended dialogue scenes between only two characters engaging with each other. I'm not knowledgeable enough to make an analysis of this, but alcohol was clearly a motif throughout this episode. I guess on a surface level, similar to the purpose Miyamori's daydreams serve, the alcohol was in effect to bring about a character's insecurities and issues, and contrast them with how they wish things were instead.

Nice ending. Not as dramatic as the last time, but it wasn't supposed to be since the feeling around it is different. Unlike last time where they acquiesced, this time they'll probably truly fight back.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it's genuinely interesting how, like Space Brothers, this series has been consistently about overcoming hardships and trials to attain one's dreams, and yet Shizuka is the one true outlier here (excluding characters where that was in their past, like Hiraoka), where that hasn't been the case at all. I'm interested in seeing how her story will be resolved by the end of this.

Shirobako 22
Nice ending. Not as dramatic as the last time, but it wasn't supposed to be since the feeling around it is different. Unlike last time where they acquiesced, this time they'll probably truly fight back.

Seems way more problematic to me this time around, and I'm saying that when it was already catastrophic the last time. Redoing the all storyboards from the last episode at this stage is ludicrous.

But yeh, they'll have to fight back this time around.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Shirbako 22:

YLOjYpCl.png

THE GODDAMN TRUTH RIGHT HERE. My career in production and project management in a nutshell, lol.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to make an analysis of this, but alcohol was clearly a motif throughout this episode. I guess on a surface level, similar to the purpose Miyamori's daydreams serve, the alcohol was in effect to bring about a character's insecurities and issues, and contrast them with how they wish things were instead.

Isn't that just the standard Japanese work culture of getting a drink after work and letting off some steam?

FluxWaveZ

Isn't that just the standard Japanese work culture of getting a drink after work and letting off some steam?

I don't know much of anything about the standard Japanese work culture, but Shirobako has had those moments in several previous episodes. In this one, it's evident that it lingers on the alcohol consumption at the forefront and not as a background element, influencing how the characters act and think. The alcohol was actually an active concept during this episode, without it being relegated as an element that's simply present because of the environment. Shizuka was drinking alcohol in her apartment, and the dichotomy between unfulfillment and wishes was present there, as well as in every other scene where it was depicted.

phaze

Strike Witches S2 01

Well slap me silly, I may have unironically enjoyed a SW episode. This really feels like a significant step up from its predecessor though I'm really not quite sure what made such difference. I suppose it might be just all around improvement in direction combined with the 1st episode production values. The scenes flow better, dialogue feels snappier and there is a new found energy that one can find even in the VA performances. If only they ceased to assault me witch crotch shots this would be a decent Cute Girls doing WW2 Flying against Aliens Things.

At least the script and the overall premise remains tripe. It feels like whoever wrote this read a western history book from right to left and consequently thought that liberation of France happened before invasion of Italy. If you're going to ape WW2 do it correctly ! The fact that they just disbanded the 501 squadron and let Miyafuji go back to her country in the middle of the war remains as silly as ever. And so was her sudden "But ... I want to protect people after all !" enlightenment.

Midonin

Saekano 09

Intense argument there. Mr. Ethical is stubborn, and Eriri's equally stubborn. A mixture of jealousy and pride that being in nerd circles seems to stimulate harder than others. As long as it leads them to better themselves and not hurt anyone. In other news, I found out that Saekano is getting an episode 11 at the end of the month, making it one of the few noitamina shows with 12 episodes.

April 21

I really liked the snow violin. That was some beautiful looking stuff. The drama is as intense as ever, but I don't really see that as a bad thing. Now that Kousei's finally regaining his mojo, once again.

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul 10
001816ssutb.png
001841mluxi.png
001848qiuxq.png

Shocking ...

The owl looked appropriately creepy in that shot, I will give Pierrot that.

Action wasn't really any good and goddamned Juuzo stole the few decent cuts but it wasn't episode 4 bad thankfully. I feel they've gone a bit overboard with cheese when it came to
Yoshimura's final moments.
On the other hand ending episode on that was a good choice.

ED was pretty great again. Neat to see past and present forms of the Anteiku stuff. Yomo with spilled coffee especially.

Kinda hope
Touka will be involved in the Kaneki&Amon duel.

Shirobako 22

Ahh life is so unfair. Kinda sad while other characters in the show are confronting their issues one way or another, Zuka is the only one sorta wallowing in misery at the apparent failure of her dream.

AND NO YOU WILL NOT TRICK ME INTO LIKING HIRAOKA

Clov

Shirobako 22

Great episode! It was nice seeing that poor stuttering girl make a complete sentence.
That ending really took me off guard. I knew something bad was going to happen soon, since production had been going so smoothly. I didn't expect it would be so severe though. Can't wait till next week!

Cornbread78

Log Horizon: Season 2 Episodes 1-12:

OK, these have been pretty good. There has been a lot more action in the second half so far and the storyline has been consistant and well done so far with surprises, twists and comedy built into it. I'm really glad I went into this one right after SAO. for a change of pace. SAO at times was an emotional roller coaster (in a good way for me) but this one feels much more grounded. Only about 10 episodes left for season 2. Looks like there is more coming to Crunchyroll, I'm just not sure how many more, or when....

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Shirobako 22

Ahh life is so unfair. Kinda sad while other characters in the show are confronting their issues one way or another, Zuka is the only one sorta wallowing in misery at the apparent failure of her dream.

I never noticed til I saw it pointed out, the VA on TV is the same one in the audition scene we saw in ep 4:

z0F3A3r.jpg

cajunator

Banned
They could hire the Garzey's Wing people to do it.

Yes please! But would lightning strike twice?

Those big ass titties (Spoilers, I guess)

Hoo boy.

That harem is going to be filled with nothing but D-cups at this rate.

Urge to watch diminishing.

RIP Ghibli. Yall had a great run.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

no.

bakemonogatari - fin

10/10 god damn that was good

why was there a 2 year gap between bake and nise?

To allow people to recover.

Rolling Girls was a big disappointment for me. Really enjoyed the first two episodes.

Chi still best girl 4 ever

If you posted pics then I missed them, but I'm assuming it's the GSC one. Mine's still in her packaging, where she'll likely stay for the next few months until I finally get some more shelving sorted!

Ill take pics of her when Im off after Tuesday.

Is this that show everybody was hyping? Stylistically it looks like Chihayafuru.

ibyea

Banned
Shirobako 22
This was a subdued episode, mostly conversations between people. It was very good though. The episode mainly focused on Ema and Hiraoka.
Drunk Hiraoka and drunk Tarou were hilarious and Hiraoka kind of pours his soul out. I can't believe I am saying this, but Tarou is more of a positive influence here. Ema gets the job as animation supervisor, but has a confidence problem, and learns from Shigeru not to let opportunities slip out. But there were other conversations that were just heartfelt,and Kunogi trying to learn from Ema while hiding away listening to her advices was just adorable. Finally, there was poor Shizuka, who was just absolutely depressed.

Episode ends with everything seemingly finished. Of course, just when they thought everything was done, the editor strikes once again. Episode 13's storyboard has been scrapped. This show is great at raising the stakes.

Mandelbo

Been watching Manabi Straight on and off for like 6 months now. Got to episode 12 today and I'm going through the sinking realisation that the show probably won't have the bittersweet, melancholy ending that I want it to have. Only one way to find out, though!

Shirobako 22

Being Zuka is suffering. Somehow if you get Tarou and Hiroaka together they become likeable??

I don't really have much to say about this show anymore, except I will be sad when it is finished.

FUCK THAT ENDING THO

Official release has pretty much surpassed the scans. No excuses!

I forgot it got released officially :O

Slime girl anime design when?

I can't be truly happy until I see that blue/green/yellow combination.

Lookin good.
Need to see Rachnera tho

Also Centorea's breasts are massive even for animu standards, jesus

reaction faces, the only thing that matters

Is this Yuki's characterization even gonna be anything like the one from KyoAni's seasons?
If not, what's the point of a spin-off when you go completely out of character for one of the major roles. I'm kinda curious how they'll pull all this off, so I'm gonna watch an episode or two. I expect jack shit though.

Is this Yuki's characterization even gonna be anything like the one from KyoAni's seasons?
If not, what's the point of a spin-off when you go completely out of character for one of the major roles. I'm kinda curious how they'll pull all this off, so I'm gonna watch an episode or two. I expect jack shit though.

The manga explores the alternate universe featured in the majority of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, so Nagato is following the personality of that alternate Nagato.

ibyea

Banned
yukichan_4.jpg

reaction faces, the only thing that matters

Weirdly enough, my brain rejects this character as Yuki. I can't put my fingers on it, but there is something about her that is decidedly not Yuki. And I don't mean the lack of stoicism, as I have watched the movie in which this story is based on.

The manga explores the alternate universe featured in the majority of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, so Nagato is following the personality of that alternate Nagato.

I see. My issue persists mostly though. This Yuki is pretty much someone entirely else and while I find that interesting enough to explore within a single movie, it's almost pointless to do this in a proper season. When you're interested about the normal Yuki then you aren't gonna get anything from this new Yuki, who mostly shares the looks. But perhaps people are fine with simply exchanging one character and remove the entire supernatural elements (which however will also effect Mikuru and Itsuki majorly).

Shirobako 22

Tarou is pretty damn supportive. Was kind of surprised Hiraoka even decided to go drinking with him, but it led to some good healing. Also good that Ai is finally slightly less annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom