• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finalow

can't wait to see One-Punch Man anime (catching up with One's version), maybe that's when One decides to prioritize OPM instead of Mob Psycho or whatever else he's doing.

Shin Mazinger Z has way better fourth-wall jokes.

EDIT:

B9Ne7GsCYAAb_4q.png
B9Ne7NSCMAAD17G.png

I see. My issue persists mostly though. This Yuki is pretty much someone entirely else and while I find that interesting enough to explore within a single movie, it's almost pointless to do this in a proper season. When you're interested about the normal Yuki then you aren't gonna get anything from this new Yuki, who mostly shares the looks. But perhaps people are fine with simply exchanging one character and remove the entire supernatural elements (which however will also effect Mikuru and Itsuki majorly).

i feel the same way mostly . 3 characters out of 5 will have vastly different roles. And the supernatural elements ( and the mysteries that goes with it being gone ) make me feel like i don't want to watch this. as it stand i'll only start watching if i'm seeing positives impressions here.

Shirobako 22:
Everyone knew that ending was coming, but it still hits hard when you get there. The transition from one emotion to the next is incredible.

Zuka's life has really spiraled out of control. Seeing her just sitting around drinking is kind of sad. I wonder if she'll actually get things in order or not (there's always the hope of a second season). This episode was pretty interesting since it was a lot more focused on the characters interacting with one another, rather than any real mad rushes to get things done. Even Tarou is stepping his game up and becoming kind of a better person (although still kind of punchable). Everyone has their own troubles they're facing right now.

Stulaw

Your Lie in April 20-21

Episode 20 really pulls on the heart strings, Kousei's so dense towards Tsubaki's feelings, and he's only just admitted his own. Kaori
pretty much almost died, and is going through her life extension surgery now. That Cat dying seems like symbolism for how it will turn out with Kaori unfortunately, life is cruel.

All Kousei can do now is play, and play well.

Shirobako 22

Another lovely episode. I cant believe this show is making Tarou and Hiraoka likeable. I guess 2 negatives end up becoming a positive. That bromance is fun.

I feel guilty about feeling happy about every character figuring out their dreams and making moves when Zuka is just suffering. Her subplot is already depressing but watching that high schooler living her dream and complaining about it, that was just a gut punch. Her going "Why.." was just...ugh. It hurts ;_;

Its just the nature of the business and life in general. Dreams get crushed and some people dont get happy endings. Still holding out hope for her!

Had to laugh at Ai going to the meeting solo and then feeling jealous watching Mii and Ema bro it out.

I'm gonna miss this show so much when it ends :(

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Shirobako 22

Her going "Why.." was just...ugh. It hurts ;_;

Why is easy - she flubbed her audition in that earlier episode and the other girl likely did well enough to get an alternate part as I'm assuming the superstar VA got the role both were originally trying for.

A full on adaptation of Persona 3 would have to have a lot of pointless running around and yelling at Mitsuru

Final scene of Movie 2: Mitsuru casts Marin Karin. Protagonist dies. Credits roll. Series over.

Use better Tactics. I never had Marin Karin issues playing through either P3 vanilla or FES. And I almost always had her in the party. I mainly rolled with Yukari/Mitsuru/Akihiko.

Jarmel

Banned
Animator Expo-Kanon

This is the greatest metaphor for anime production (or production in general) that I've ever seen.

Goddamn.

So is this Maeda acknowledging that he knows he fucked up with EVA 3.0?

Reconguista in G 24

That scene where Bararararara just kept moving away from Mask, I was dying at that. Most :Tomino moment in episodes

Speaking of Barararara, she died. Fuck. Why did she even say Bellri, did they even know each other?
Looks like it's at that point in a Gundam series where everyone dies.

Syrinx

Shirobako 22

A lot has been said about Zuka in this episode already, but I feel like Ema should get her due as well for the opposite reason. The way she's not only improved as an animator but how she's been able to overcome her timidity and lack of self-confidence and become somebody people can not only rely on her but seek for advice and now put on the animation supervision staff has probably been my favorite character arc in the show. And those parts of her aren't completely gone, but she's able to face them head on and deal with them, albeit with a little help at times. On that note, Senoi-san is a major G.

Also the show is totally fucked. But that's for next week.

I'm going to miss this show so much when it's over.

Quasar

Saekano 9 - Another enjoyable episode. And man one episode left and still the person making the game music has not appeared. Makes me wonder if this is only half and we'll get a second half later in the year.

VRMN

Saekano 9 - Another enjoyable episode. And man one episode left and still the person making the game music has not appeared. Makes me wonder if this is only half and we'll get a second half later in the year.

Two episodes left. Episode 0 was a separate thing and not part of the 11 count.

Thoraxes

Shirobako - 22

Damn, this reminds me of what it was like to talk to all the people I beat in auditions, interviews, and contests in the classical music world. They all had the same demeanor as Zuka.

/XX/

I'm slowly getting scared about what will happen to Zuka...
If they want to get dark about it, there's always the gravure/AV route!
I'm having many conflicting feelings about that.....but if that avoids the suicide ending then so be it!
"But, but... the rain stopped for her in the OP!"

Positiveness, guys, positiveness... because thinking about what we know from the series so far, lets; a) think about all the fair-to-all, happy-go-lucky visual language we have seen on promotional art and production materials and such from the main heroines. And; b) think about how they are touting precisely right now a defeatist message, her sinking to an all-time low, even up to two episodes prior to the end with leeway granted and sufficient for a recovery (or a "But Her Battle Continues" finale).

Going for the audience empathy and creating a following for each character on this product crafted to appease a certain "obsessive" demographic (steamed from the character design to the bright personalities of everyone involved), on a series that presents and resolves always well justified and redeemable motives for every character insecurities (hey, some criticised Hiraoka before they had the opportunity to flesh their character and a reasoning to his grief too, right?), doing otherwise would be one big fat curve ball if I ever saw one! And even though people would proclaim a healing ending as totally predictable... remember the successful finale to Girls und Panzer? Haven't many enjoyed the ride until now? That is the primordial objective.

Thoraxes

"But, but... the rain stopped for her in the OP!"

Positiveness, guys, positiveness... because thinking about what we know from the series so far, lets; a) think about all the fair-to-all, happy-go-lucky visual language we have seen on promotional art and production materials and such from the main heroines. And; b) think about how they are touting precisely right now a defeatist message, her sinking to an all-time low, even up to two episodes prior to the last one with leeway granted and sufficient for a recovery (or a "But Her Battle Continues" end).

Going for the audience empathy and creating a following for each character on this product crafted to appease a certain "obsessive" demographic (steamed from the character design to the bright personalities of everyone involved), on a series that presents and resolves always well justified and redeemable motives for every character insecurities (hey, some criticised Hiraoka before they had the opportunity to flesh their character and a reasoning to his grief too, right?) it would be one big fat curve ball if I ever saw one! And even though people would proclaim a healing ending as totally predictable... remember the successful finale to Girls und Panzer? Haven't many enjoyed the ride until now? That is the primordial part.

What's actually nice is that it's a highly realistic situation. Zuka is basically like 95% of people who try to get into a talent-based industry. I'd be pretty pleased if she doesn't end up with any real roles to show that rejection is a huge part of creative industries and that most people really can't ever break through no matter how hard they try.

However, she's totally going to
voice that pig in the last episode of Aerial Girls.

Nodame Cantabile - 23 [Final]

8/10

Pretty darn good.

Concerning the characters:

Chiaki is probably among my favorite 'talented' characters portrayed in anime. Meanwhile Nodame, while not bad, fell somewhat flat compared to him. There WAS a lot to her character but it just didn't get explored enough as far as I'm concerned. Felt like there was too much focus on using her as comedic relief. Towards the end she finally got her due but wish there was more to her earlier.

Stereotypical flamboyant quasi-gay character Masumi was a real annoyance and I was glad he didn't get featured that much later down the line. His comedic presence fell completely flat too, and felt unnecessary to begin with considering it's similarity to Nodame's quirks.

Stresemann suffered from being so much of a creepy old man and scumbag that I found it a bit hard to take seriously when the show put him in a light where he was responsible for a lot of Chiaki's development nevertheless. As if Stresemann did it the right way when nah, for the most part you were a useless creep and Chiaki just so happened to succeed in spite of that. Towards the end of Stresemann's 'arc' he does get better, too, but I just wish they didn't frontload that much crap on his character.

These last 2 characters along with animation budget issues are my major issue with the show.

Other than that I have to say that I was really enjoying the diverse supporting cast. Really helped getting a good appreciation for the entirety of an orchestra.

The college and post-graduation setting of this show was very refreshing and thankfully felt nothing like those generic school anime.

The story was primarily about Chiaki and Nodame weird relationship as well as Chiaki's walk to fame as a conductor, but also featured the development of plenty other music students. It felt very mature, well researched/believable and slightly educating even. While I know there's more than this first season, this would be a totally perfect time to stop.

I'll probably end up watching the 2 OVAs but I'm not sure I want to see the other seasons as they supposedly don't hold up against this.

wonzo

Banned
I'll probably end up watching the 2 OVAs but I'm not sure I want to see the other seasons as they supposedly don't hold up against this.
if you're talkin about the next two seasons they don't hit the emotional and thematic highs of the first but theyre still pretty entertaining in their own right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom