• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Great Teacher Onizuka 16
001858gik12.png
Onizuka, a giant snake in his crotch and a pair of scissors. This ended on a happier note than it had any right to.

Strike Witches S2 02
0018698ukjc.png

New base acquired.

Another decent episode, especially that fight at the end with everyone reuniting again. Blows away anything in S1 as far as I can remember. I'm glad that that they didn't waste any time reintroducing the cast.
Sakamoto's new super katana seems like a supreme asspull but if it saves me from suffering from the "I'm growing old and losing my magic powers" plot then I'm all for it.

Blusby

Shigofumi 1-3: This series is really trying too hard, it's unintentionally comedic with how over the top the two cases were.

Blusby

Shigofumi is my second favorite anime.

You have stomped on my very soul June.

Let's look on the bright side, there's still plenty of time for the series to redeem itself!

That's pretty much my one complaint so far though, if it just tones the drama down to a level that doesn't clash with the solemn atmosphere of the show in future episodes then I'll be a happy camper as I'm liking everything else on the aesthetics side of things. Also, Kana Ueda voicing an emotionally repressed gal is a slice of てんごく.

/XX/

What's actually nice is that it's a highly realistic situation. Zuka is basically like 95% of people who try to get into a talent-based industry. I'd be pretty pleased if she doesn't end up with any real roles to show that rejection is a huge part of creative industries and that most people really can't ever break through no matter how hard they try.
Yeah, of course it is a nice lesson although it depends on the context too and how it maybe could violently class with some of the values showcased by the show, of contemplation but also of relentless. After seeing how the staff was willing to "ham-fist" a criticism or vision about the industry reaching near parody on certain instances, maybe such a final outcome for one of the main characters is too realistic to the point (I think) they could want to avoid it at the very end.

This is just a personal impression, on where I expected them to go with this... it is not like I specifically would be unfairly critical of any other outcome I can't even discern yet! :)

K-On 3 looks great!

I really hope that show turns out to be good.

Strike Witches S2 02

Another decent episode, especially that fight at the end with everyone reuniting again. Blows away anything in S1 as far as I can remember. I'm glad that that they didn't waste any time reintroducing the cast.
Sakamoto's new super katana seems like a supreme asspull but if it saves me from suffering from the "I'm growing old and losing my magic powers" plot then I'm all for it.

Uh, yeah see...about that...

Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu - 25

Gaiking, why are you so fun?

No for real this episode essentially turned the show into Macross with the idol drama and it was somehow entertaining and funny.

I gotta say, 25 episodes into this show and it's really picked up for me. The characters on the ship are fun, the villains are entertaining, and it's all just a pleasure to watch, save for the sub-par animation.

cajunator

Banned
Koufuku Graffiti 10
Neighbor
finally getting hers.

I love this show way too much.

well, yes.

What exactly is this? I recognize most of the characters but a few are stumping me.
The pink haired girl for example.

Make sure you set her up with Zaphkiel!

On a semi-related note, I think you'd appreciate the new Date A Live girl from the upcoming Vita game:

Yes I do quite appreciate this character.

Saekano 09

MC didn't take the blame for Eri bullshit just because!? Actually demands that she apologize for what she did to him years ago and souring their friendship!? WHAT SHOW AM I WATCHING!?

phaze

Uh, yeah see...about that...
0k4tkrdnkj5e.png

Great Teacher Onizuka 17-18

The segment were Onizuka threw off the roof his own student and dealt with the resultant fallout was the funniest moment of the show so far. Really great stuff. Pretty much every new coming character since the stalker sensei has been pure gold.

But good god that CG. The fall of 2D animation happened much earlier than I thought.

Vito

Banned
IWhat exactly is this? I recognize most of the characters but a few are stumping me.
The pink haired girl for example.

It's the same as last year, promotional images Aniplex will be using at AnimeJapan this year. The pink one is MAPPA's upcoming noitamina show Punchline.

Jarmel

Banned
So awhile back there was some discussion about character designs and in my own research, I was mainly looking into which designs Koyama did for the Eureka 7 franchise, and I came across this report from a panel hosted by Shigeto Koyama. Some points he highlights about character designs are kinda informative so I thought I would dreg it up and share.

http://www.lostinanime.com/2012/05/fanime-2012-koyama-shigeto-character.html said:
-In anime, the most important element in character design is the hair “(80% of the time, hair is key.”) You must be able to differentiate the characters by hairstyle, and be able to do so in silhouette.
-Don’t waste time detailing stuff like shoes too much, because the audience will hardly ever see them.
-The silhouette and the hair color is the way he tries to establish a character’s personality.
-When he was doing the character designs for Stan Lee’s avatar in Heroman, Stan became upset because some of them had him angry or scowling. He insisted that Koyama-san only draw him smiling, but Koyama-san sneaked in one with a frown so his director wouldn’t reject them.
-When a character’s hair curls inward towards the center of the face, they’re an introvert. Among the examples he cited were Joey Jones and Ayanami Rei.
-When a character has their hair clipped or pinned, that reflects that they’re holding a part of themselves in check. He cites Eureka and Anemone as examples, but notes that Eureka took off her clips after her relationship with Renton liberated her, while Anemone never did.
-When a character’s hair is completely wild and unruly, they’re a free spirit. Examples: Psy and Holly.
-When a character’s hair curls outward, they’re generally an extrovert.
-When he designs mecha, he thinks of them as people rather than machines (citing Wall-E as the ultimate example of this in American animation).

Now that I'm already getting PTSD flashbacks from AO, I checked her design in AO to see if she still had hairclips.
She does however it's not consistent.
AO3.jpg

Eureka_Seven_AO_-_23_-_Large_18.jpg

The later image is her with the hairclip Renton gives her in the final episode.
So I have no clue what to make of this other than to affirm my hatred of AO. It does provide some interesting insight into Ao and Renton's designs though.

CorvoSol

So awhile back there was some discussion about character designs and in my own research, I was mainly looking into which designs Koyama did for the Eureka 7 franchise, and I came across this report from a panel hosted by Shigeto Koyama. Some points he highlights about character designs are kinda informative so I thought I would dreg it up and share.

Now that I'm already getting PTSD flashbacks from AO, I checked her design in AO to see if she still had hairclips.

She does however it's not consistent.

So I have no clue what to make of this other than to affirm my hatred of AO. It does provide some interesting insight into Ao and Renton's designs though.

fucking trigger warnings when you post this shit man, c'mon

Midonin

Cinderella Girls 09

If we're going to draw parallels between the original iM@S and this one, this most closely resembles the cooking game show from early in the season. Chieri, Anzu and Kanako make up the trio of Candy Island, and even more idols come into play, including Ayana Taketatsu's Sachiko. Seeing Anzu kill it at trivia was a lot of fun, and I've grown attached to Kanako. She's cute. The ending song isn't quite as dramatic as Ranran's single from last week, but when Columbia releases all of these CDs, I want to get them. All to support the idols on the show.

(Especially Sexy Guilty.)

Everyone's getting their time in the spotlight, which makes me hope for an "Are We Live!?" like show to happen around the midway point.

Jarmel

Banned
I like how Bellri is holding a baby Ao in that picture.

damn it I thought the same thing

I hate how Yoshida worked on both Greco and AO.

fucking trigger warnings when you post this shit man, c'mon

Trust me, I got the shakes just digging through those images. To write the earlier post I had to remember whether Eureka (in episode 14 of AO or whatever) was from what point in time as she might have stopped wearing the hairclip later in her life. It's made all the more confusing with that timeline dogshit. However it just seems inconsistent rather than some sort of intentional change.

Ao sucked except for Elena. Everybody knows this.

And the reality warping mech cannon... that was badass and we all know it.

042%20selector%20infected%20wixoss.jpg

Started this and 2 episodes in.

+ Card game show. Been wanting to watch one, and could not find any links to Yu-Gi Oh 5D's in Japanese without having to torrent 150 episodes.
+ Card game show, about females; nice twist
+ water paint background style
- seemingly clueless main character
- sister brother love subplot (but hints at psychological reasons why a character is so obsessed which is good... but still minus because there is no point to these ever)
- multiple cards yet non are given real screen time #budget?
- Cards talk, and their personalities are exactly how they look.

+ its only 12 episodes.

Puruzi

Banned

+ Card game show. Been wanting to watch one, and could not find any links to Yu-Gi Oh 5D's in Japanese without having to torrent 150 episodes.
- sister brother love subplot (but hints at psychological reasons why a character is so obsessed which is good... but still minus because there is no point to these ever)

+ its only 12 episodes.

You're in for a ride.

+ its only 12 episodes.

Uh actually it's 24.

CorvoSol

The Retcannon was terrible.

Everything in that show was terrible.

The Truth was the worst.

Damn, she got pregnant?

Sheesh

TWICE! But you see
her baby born in the present of E7 was born a statue because FUCKING LOL 12,000 years of Coralian studying mankind to engineer a woman who could replicate their biology and intermarry with them and entwine the two species and somehow they fucking overlooked the fact that the gas that they emit causes the resulting species to turn to stone EVEN THOUGH EUREKA ISN'T AND HER HALF-CORALIAN CHILD IS LESS CORALIAN AND SO SHOULD BE EVEN LESS OF A ROCK THAN SHE IS.

And then her second child starred in a fucking awful television series, so there's that.

Gundam Reconguista in G 24

I thought it was Turn A Heaven but actually it was Zeta Hell.

Jarmel

Banned
So now that we're actually discussing AO (sigh), what really gets me is that Dai Sato already wrote a decent prequel story for the games that could have easily been fleshed out into a great anime.

All they had to do was expand on Sumner and Ruri's story while fleshing out the military side. That way we get:

-A love story with Sumner and Ruri
-Mech action involving early LFOs
-Military stuff that could expand on Holland's background and more Ray and Charles. So more SFO action. This could lead up to Holland's decision to leave the military.
-Stealing the Nirvash
-Eureka when she was younger
-Surfing/Trapar culture with Moondoggie
-The Vodarak discrimination stuff

They wouldn't have to build off the ending and would instead flesh out some of the background info and worldbuilding. Sato already wrote the framework for a decent prequel but no they have to timetravel over 6 millenia backwards.

CorvoSol

Let's talk about Pocket Full of Rapebows.

Good things it gave us: long haired Eureka

Bad things it inflicted upon us: everything else, but particularly its usurping actual E7 in SRWZ2

Assassination Classroom Episode 9 Transfer Student Time
tumblr_nl5x4hBRFA1qimk8ao1_500.gif

Just as funny as it was in the manga, and hearing them when Terasaka kun made the 2d girl crey, lol.

That full LCD was impressive.

Can that Sonic Ninja be a real anime please?!

tried watching Agents of Shield after all the hype and I can't. It's like CW Arrowverse without any of the charm. Also that Skye girl lost me when she started to try to convince me that she's like an amazing hacker. Admittedly that's pretty CW though.

Should have guessed though. Duckroll hype got me again.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
tried watching Agents of Shield after all the hype and I can't. It's like CW Arrowverse without any of the charm. Also that Skye girl lost me when she started to try to convince me that she's like an amazing hacker. Admittedly that's pretty CW though.

Should have guessed though. Duckroll hype got me again.
You should skip to episode... 9 I think. Or 10.

It's kind of trash before that.

It's still trash afterwards but at least it's entertaining? Sort of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom