• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

I just realized something. You know who Zuka in the latest Shirobako reminds me of? Me in all the sports threads I post in. Giving the middle finger on my screen to all those people whining about how shitty their awesome teams are or how shitty their awesome players are, as a way of saying "Wanna trade spots?"

I'm really surprised they can't just
tell the author to f himself
. And that Funny Story still has a job.

Well if he owns the IP then it could become problematic if they go against his orders. They probably have a contract that totally leaves them at his mercy too.

As for funny story guy, the author probably doesn't give a shit. His incompetence is Musani's problem more than it is his.

14263472824494zs0t.png

1426363452851gvszo.jpg

1426363272967lmstd.jpg

Her smile and innocence.

Gone.

Thanks Internet for corrupting another cute daughteru.

jgminto

This seems like something I could really enjoy. The tone it seems to be going for would make for an interesting compliment to a BL romance story. I don't think I've read the manga yet
unless I've forgot, I do read a lot
so I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Now I just want to see a Yamamoto Kotetsuko series get adapted, preferably Honto Yajuu.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wow. Even the architect for Shaft suffered a head tilt momentarily when they were planning the building.

Tenumi

Banned
Nisekoi: 1

What, a RomCom featuring a quiet, reserved girl and a loud, brash girl? I've never heard of such a concept!

Sarcasm aside, it was an enjoyable first episode, and I'm not put off by any of the characters. That's gotta account for something. I'll enjoy this show for sure.

mid83

I hope I don't get blasted for this post as I know there are countless recommendation threads and blogs about anime all over the place. This seems like an active OT so I figured there would be some good opinion here.

So to my question, I'm a complete anime newbie. I've always wanted to check out some anime but the amount of content out there has always been pretty overwhelming to me. I've watched about 1/3 of Cowboy Bebop, which is pretty much the full extent of my anime viewing history.

I downloaded the Crunchyroll app on my PS4 and found there is a ton of content available on there. Are there any new/currently running shows on Crunchyroll that are good and would be recommended viewing for a complete anime newbie?

phaze

I hope I don't get blasted for this post as I know there are countless recommendation threads and blogs about anime all over the place. This seems like an active OT so I figured there would be some good opinion here.

So to my question, I'm a complete anime newbie. I've always wanted to check out some anime but the amount of content out there has always been pretty overwhelming to me. I've watched about 1/3 of Cowboy Bebop, which is pretty much the full extent of my anime viewing history.

I downloaded the Crunchyroll app on my PS4 and found there is a ton of content available on there. Are there any new/currently running shows on Crunchyroll that are good and would be recommended viewing for a complete anime newbie?

Current season sucks but there's plenty of older great shows on Crunchy ! Out of current shows I would pick Jojo's for the best at the moment but: 1. it would take a lot of time for you to catch up to current episodes. 2. A lot of the past stuff isn't really that good.

Any genres you're particularly interested in ?

Gurren Lagann
Fate/Zero

Would be my two recommendations for a mostly action oriented show. (First one has some fanservice.)

Narag

These aren't on chrunchyroll, but I would recommend you check out Death Note and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. These two shows served well as a gateway to introduce anime to most of my friends

To add, both of these are on US Netflix if you have access to that. Samurai Champloo is as well if you liked Bebop.

Also finish Bebop.

Or else.

mid83

Current season sucks but there's plenty of older great shows on Crunchy ! Out of current shows I would pick Jojo's for the best at the moment but: 1. it would take a lot of time for you to catch up to current episodes. 2. A lot of the past stuff isn't really that good.

Any genres you're particularly interested in ?

Gurren Lagann
Fate/Zero

Would be my two recommendations for a mostly action oriented show. (First one has some fanservice.)

I'd imagine scifi/space/action shows would be more up my alley. I'm sure there is great stuff out there in other genres as well though.

Yeh if you could provides some genre(s) that would be helpful.

Otherwise, I still think Attack on Titan is a pretty good introduction, though it suffers from severe edginess. However that title isn't well liked here.

Some just generally good anime:
Shinsekai Yori (From the New World)
Planetes
Neon Gensis Evangelion (Starting with the original 26ep TV show)
Hyouka
Berserk (the original 25ep TV show)

edit:
I'd imagine scifi/space/action shows would be more up my alley. I'm sure there is great stuff out there in other genres as well though.

In that case Planetes and Shinsekai Yori especially so.

Hmm. The best show currently on Crunchyroll is Shirobako, but that's kind of inside baseball, so I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie. That's a show you work towards watching after you have some experience under your belt.

Without knowing what genres in particular you like, I'll just recommend a few high quality shows from the last few years on Crunchyroll.

From the New World is an excellent science-fiction story, with a real emphasis on strong world building and social commentary. It's got some decent action in places and some romance and character development, but the real heart of it is just the way that it builds and fleshes out a society.

Space Brothers is an excellent feel good show about going to space and following your dreams. It's got an entirely adult cast (which can be helpful compared to the often very young casts found in most anime) and spends almost all of its time just developing the characters and having them work towards heading to space. It's a show that will almost always make you feel happy while watching it. At 99 episodes it's fairly long, but it keeps up a pretty consistent level of quality across the whole series.

Flowers of Evil is a pretty different series, and the visual style isn't for everyone (the characters are all rotoscoped, so they can look pretty strange), but it's one of the most enthralling dramas I've ever watched. It's a show that really just highlights what complete shits middle school aged kids are, and just about every episode had me feeling like I was going to drown while watching it. It's a lovely and very atmospheric show that will just really up the sense of despair at every turn.

Fate/Zero is a pretty solid action series with some enjoyable characters to watch. If you're looking for fun action, you could do a lot worse than this show. It's not perfect, but it's a pretty easy show to get into for newcomers.

If there are any specific genres you're really interested, I'm sure people could come up with more specific recommendations. Anime is a pretty broad medium, and there are stories in pretty much every genre imaginable.

Stardust Crusaders 34

I always love these kinds of episodes in manga/anime the logic game/gamble battles. The crazy mind games and 4 step ahead plans are truly a riot to watch. Really looking forward to seeing how Jotaro wins a poker game against this guy should be a great time.

Log Horizon S2 E23

Seems like we're setting up a dramatic end game for season 2 kind of out of nowhere. Fine with me I found season 1's finale to be kind of an awkward pausing spot for season 1.

The actual meat of the episode once again shows why Log Horizon is truly the master of it's craft in focusing on characters the story hasn't really given much screen time to yet making them compelling and interesting. I could watch more episodes of Isaac and Iselius as both are great characters and their interactions work really well.

I know they aren't on Crunchyroll, but if you're a beginner I'd really check out the classics first

Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

For stuff that's actually on CR, if you like action you can never go wrong with the long running shonen series like One Piece or Hunter x Hunter or the shorter more recent series like Attack on Titan or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

phaze

Well Gurren Lagann is a mecha show with some space stuff in it. It isn't particularly hard sci-fi though !

And I cosign the Attack on Titan rec. Even with its flaws it's a decent watch.

I watched the first episode. That was enough bebop for me.
survive5lsq6.gif

I concur

Probably gone the way of the Gundam SEED movie.

I'll believe it exists when I see it.

NNNNOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE. Not listening! It still exists! I'll still believe!

I mean, with this Vivid thing airing they might announce something sooner or later!

Darn it this must be how HL3 and The Last Guardian fans feel. >_<

It honestly really didn't grab me much either and I've seen all of it. The characters just never grew on me, the episodic nature isn't generally my thing either and the overarching plot that was there was rather mediocre too and yeh, that's it in short.

It's still really well done and maybe would've gotten a hold of me if I watched it when I was younger but alas, I couldn't connect with it. Wouldn't really know how to rate it though.

edit:
Started Samurai Champloo a couple days ago and that's much more to my liking.

Currently watching Digimon Tamers again (actually never quite finished it I think) and damn, that opening feels so well directed. Really liking the imagery (use of poses, silhouettes, camera angles and overall composition).

Awesome song too, of course!

Midonin

Go! Princess Precure 07

Haruka's relations with one of her old bullies still aren't fully patched, but she did become much, much better at tennis with some help from Miss Nonon. For the first really "regular" episode of the series, it was a fun one. Some decent character work, Haruka improving herself towards princessdom, and a weird MotW. Next time she makes a dress. I remember that episode of Nadja.

Death Parade 4 Dub

This would be like the worst show to marathon watch as it can be pretty heavy at times. This was probably the weakest story of the bunch because the two characters connection was more in their situations being similar and not in their personal relationship. The girl assistant is also the worst part of the show, they really should have dropped her and just let Decim do the whole arbiter thing.

mid83

My issue was the episodic nature of it. Maybe it was just me having a misperception of anime but I always assumed most shows were more serialized.

I just noticed it's on Hulu plus so I may give Cowboy Bebop another try.

Currently watching Digimon Tamers again (actually never quite finished it I think) and damn, that opening feels so well directed. Really liking the imagery (use of poses, silhouettes, camera angles and overall composition).

Awesome song too, of course!

My favorite opening of all time. I love the song and the visuals so much.

I don't care about Waifu talks (or do I? I hope not!) but Chitoge is a genuinely bad person towards the end of NIsekoi's first season.

That said, so is Ichijou who's dumb enough to play along with all the abuse as if it really were his fault that Chitoge becomes a fury several times.

And...

Actually, I better stop talking about a show with poorly written characters that doesn't even intend to portray characters halfway realistically or have any actual plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom