• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

ITS HERE

e: owned by hotlinking orz

Well, I quite like the character designs. Read a few chapters and it didn't grab me but will give it a shot.

GTO 21
001922iosbo.png
001923pssdw.png
Great logic there Vice-Principal.

Tuck

Garo - Episode 12
Garo, while entertaining, has not necessarily brought much originality through the first 12 episodes. But I'll admit, they went in a much different direction than I expected with the end of this cour. Excited to see where they go from here.

Quasar

Log Horizon - Only two episodes left.

Sad I am. Given we've run out of novel material (hell some of the material in the anime is only just now appearing in novel form) and its not a gigantic blockbuster in terms of japoanese disc sales this seems like its it. They won't make a 3rd season in say 2-3 years.

And making it doubly worse is that with Yen licensing the books, I have what I guess is a 3 year wait for them to get to book 9 (which is where the end of S2 is taken from).

:(

Liked episode 2.23 though. I guess we really won't get to see anything of Krusty.

Assassination Classroom 4 Dub

It's amazing how much better Funimation's localization of Assassination Classroom is compared to Viz's manga attempt and Bitch-Sensei is the best example. Viz gave her the lazy name of Ms. Vitch so that they could change it to Ms. Bitch which is lame and boring. Funimation gave her the last name Jelavić which is not only a real name but works a lot better turning it into the Jelabitch pun. Her dub voice is fantastic and all the comedy segments are timed perfectly. Best episode of the series so far.

Jarmel

Banned
Saekano-9

I actually thought the ending argument was good, mainly in that the main character calls Eririri on her bullshit and how she wants her cake/eating it too. The way he phrased it really made it seem like that had been building inside for awhile now. Her ass is definitely not winning now.

Go! Princess Precure 7

In all honesty, I didn't really care for this episode. Lust face happened too.

Human Shamour was nice, although now a bit odd given that she has Nonon's voice.

This one was all about Haruka and the shitty bully from her childhood, which naturally already makes me despise him. It's like already, he's one of the worst potential love interests, and unfortunately, he will reappear again.

Not enough princess training all around, but that's probably because Haruka is pretty shit at everything in comparison to her more motherly duo Minami and Kirara...

Not the right word.... wiser I guess.

Mokoi

Banned
Finished re watching Katanagatari. What a great show, and worth a re watch or first time when yall can't decide on what animu to see.

Mr.Jeff

So I've saved some of this up for a while because of reasons.

Finished off Non Non Biyori. It's a mostly pretty good show but Hotaru's presence is ruinous for 90% of her appearances. While the show is hardly hyper realistic, her stalkerish behaviour towards Komari is creepy not mention her unsettling fanservice beach episode despite her being only 11. Just eugh.
That said, the show really finds point with its introspective and reflective episodes. Renge's episode with the holiday child (ep 4) and the Candy store lady's episode (ep10) were perfect examples of this.
I also have to complement it for its beautiful background shots and the sound design; not just the music but how well it treated the all pervading quietness of living in a remote area.

Hope for S2: less bad, formulaic comedy and more of the enjoyable uniqueness of the setting.

Aikatsu Eps 1-13
Another watchbet which I would never have started due to my aversion of idols.
I feel mixed on this; on the one hand it's a really enjoyable slice of life series where there is basically no overly forced drama which makes it highly watchable.
On the other hand the entire conceit about how it treats the idol culture is just inherently weird.
There is a school producing idols. Ichigo basically leaps into it without much reasoning at all. The all pervasiveness of idols raising no questions with anyone. It reinforces that creepy notion that all idols must remain pure for the sins of romantic engagement because "they belong to everyone". Basically the entire idol side of the show is just weird and creepy.

And yet Ichigo's all powerful cheerfulness which crushes all opponents is kinda watchable, even overriding the goddawful CG dance rotuines.

Polar Bear Cafe Ep Whatever - 24
This remains as unoffensive as ever but I don't ever come away with feelings either way. It's just kind of there. It basically produces no reaction. Panda is basically a jerk though. Sasako is the most interesting character. It's not often you see an adult women portrayed without relying on some terrible schtick.

Still also keeping up with Votoms Space Vietnam was pretty good but episode 29 was just the greatest episode ever. If I had any skill at writing and some time I'd go more in-depth but I'll spare you more of my horrific writing.

I hope I don't get blasted for this post as I know there are countless recommendation threads and blogs about anime all over the place. This seems like an active OT so I figured there would be some good opinion here.

So to my question, I'm a complete anime newbie. I've always wanted to check out some anime but the amount of content out there has always been pretty overwhelming to me. I've watched about 1/3 of Cowboy Bebop, which is pretty much the full extent of my anime viewing history.

I downloaded the Crunchyroll app on my PS4 and found there is a ton of content available on there. Are there any new/currently running shows on Crunchyroll that are good and would be recommended viewing for a complete anime newbie?

Looking at Crunchyroll's catalog, I would recommend the below list to be your first priority:

Fate Zero
Flowers of Evil
Girls und Panzer
Haikyu!!
Hourou Musuko - Wandering Son
House of Five Leaves
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Kaiji
Kyousougiga
Level E
Little Witch Academia
Love Lab
Mononoke
Moyashimon
Mushi-shi
Natsume Yujin-cho
Shin Sekai Yori
Silver Spoon
Space Brothers
The Eccentric Family
The Rose of Versailles
Time of Eve
Tsuritama
Usagi Drop

Out of those, I would recommend Flowers of Evil (psychological thriller about messed-up teens), Kaiji (intense and easily approachable gambling series), The Eccentric Family (well-fleshed out cast of mythological creatures living in modern-day Kyoto), and Usagi Drop (sweet portrayal of fatherhood) as being excellent starting points.

Try not to restrict yourself to Crunchyroll though; there's a lot of great anime that isn't on there!

My issue was the episodic nature of it. Maybe it was just me having a misperception of anime but I always assumed most shows were more serialized.

It's probably true that most anime are serialized, but there are certainly a fair number of episodic shows out there as well. I understand there are many people turned off by shows which don't have an overall plot line, but there can be as much value in collections of short stories as there is in novels.

cj_iwakura

Fate/Stay Night UBW 10

The fights are incredible as ever, puts the VN to shame.

Gilgamesh sounds different, though...

Mononoke - Zashikiwarashi 1

Interesting show. Love the visual style, like nothing else I've ever seen.

I could have sworn this show had some hyperkinetic OP, not the melodic one. Maybe it was later on, or an MAD?

Aldnoah Zero 22

I think when Inaho's eye started ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL he gained more personality then he had

Log Horizon 2 23

They don't mention it, but if every went home, what would happen to Rudy? He never existed in the real world.

Yona of the Dawn 9:
Yona's showing some resolve and a willingness to grow. Her stubbornness helps out here as she keeps on working at it until she starts to improve quite a bit. The relationship between Yona and Hak is always quite nice to see, especially the way it shifts depending on their moods and the situation.

The episode also at least touches on how the regular folks in the kingdom are effected or not effected by everything that's going on. The scenes of characters talking about how nothing changes for them are pretty minor, but they at least do acknowledge the plights of the average peasant, as does Yona becoming aware of what people had to go through in order to provide for the life style she had enjoyed previously. As nuance goes, it's not much, but at least it's a small acknowledgement of the part of the show.

ITS HERE

e: owned by hotlinking orz

This actually is looking to have potential. Character designs are really good, need a studio and staff though.

Sticking with the godawful andre design I see. Given how much I hate it in the manga, this makes me sad.

I find his face repellant. I so wish it was in the same reality as the other characters.

I1UtEnf.jpg

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 01

Heh. He's such an asshole, I like it.

Aww yusss finally someone in the thread is catching up on this. CheapJuice I love you since you did HxH as well.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
This new season of Dog Days isn't hitting like the first 2 did for some reason.

Shouta would body us.

I watched the first ep for season 3 and just dropped it afterwards. Doesn't have the same magic anymore.

Plastic Memories 2nd key visual

cdvOdwj.png
YOU, TELL ME WHEN THE RELEASE DATE FOR THIS IS!

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 01

Heh. He's such an asshole, I like it.

So this is where the meme comes from.

Should I cringe or feel bad? Or maybe both?

tEJ4Pqv.gif

Love is in the air~

Only this time it's not coming from Serena.

Is that romance I see?
kWOZOAn.png

Saekano-9

I actually thought the ending argument was good, mainly in that the main character calls Eririri on her bullshit and how she wants her cake/eating it too. The way he phrased it really made it seem like that had been building inside for awhile now. Her ass is definitely not winning now.
Considering the name of the show and the personalities of the five girls, its very apparent who wins in episode 0.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Hello friends. I was wondering if you all could give me recommendations as to some animes from the past recent seasons I should watch? For my background as an anime watcher I am a big and loyal fan of Bleach and Naruto, I cried when Naruto and Hinata had babies bc that is my OTP.

Thanks.

Is that mod name photoshopped?
I kid.
Those two anime's aren't that good as they progress so I'm sure you can do better. Try One Piece and Hunter X Hunter (2011 version). Plus try out GTO and Code Geass. I already gave you a couple of heavy hitters that will last you for months.

WonderzL

Banned
Hello friends. I was wondering if you all could give me recommendations as to some animes from the past recent seasons I should watch? For my background as an anime watcher I am a big and loyal fan of Bleach and Naruto, I cried when Naruto and Hinata had babies bc that is my OTP.

Thanks.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Shengar

Thanks.

Baccano!
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Hunter x Hunter (2011)

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Neon Genesis Evangelion 25
This is just like Persona, except
everyone is denying their true self and weirder shit happens.

Thanks.

Watch the hypest shit known as The Skull Man and Gurren Lagann.

Narag

Thanks.

Should just hit up Ping Pong then cut your losses.

Thanks.
Holy crap, you're back. :O

Thanks.

This thread is a good resource.

Everything on the Top 10 is good and watchable, some more then others.

But prioritize Ping Pong.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Thanks.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

wonzo

Banned

Thanks.
welcome back

Ping Pong
Shirobako
Ronja
WIXOSS (based okada)
Pupipo (Short)
Nandaka Velonica (Short)
Yamishibai (HORROR Short)
Ai Mai Mi (Surrealist Short)

Rhapsody

Banned
Prison School promo art's looking good. Hoping a good studio handles it.

Aikatsu Eps 1-13
Another watchbet which I would never have started due to my aversion of idols.
I feel mixed on this; on the one hand it's a really enjoyable slice of life series where there is basically no overly forced drama which makes it highly watchable.
On the other hand the entire conceit about how it treats the idol culture is just inherently weird.
There is a school producing idols. Ichigo basically leaps into it without much reasoning at all. The all pervasiveness of idols raising no questions with anyone. It reinforces that creepy notion that all idols must remain pure for the sins of romantic engagement because "they belong to everyone". Basically the entire idol side of the show is just weird and creepy.

And yet Ichigo's all powerful cheerfulness which crushes all opponents is kinda watchable, even overriding the goddawful CG dance rotuines.
The CG will get better! And I really enjoy Aikatsu. I agree that the no forced drama makes it enjoyable since it is a kids show.

Ichigo wanting to join was because she felt inspired about seeing Mizuki. First time in her life where she felt like making her decision.

Droplet

Thanks.

I would recommend Mushishi and K-on because they are also anime.

Thanks.

Welcome back!

From the last year, you should check out Ping Pong, Shirobako and Yurikuma Arashi.

Girl Und Panzer 11-12 Dub

This truly was one of the dumbest shows I've ever seen and yet it was hilariously entertaining for how stupid it is. Ignoring the completely laughable and stupid premise and setting I think the big problems with this series are that there are far too many characters and that the series is only 12 episodes. In these sports anime not only do I need to know the characters on my protagonist team I need to know the characters on the opponent teams. Even when your series is full of cliche and trope characters they still need to have a slight bit of development and GuP never gives me enough to care about anyone. This is really a series that could have benefited greatly from being 26 episodes as it would have given everything a bit more room to breathe.

Special props to the dub for being hilariously bad as it kept me going well past the point I would have dropped the series otherwise. I did try watching and episode in Japanese and I couldn't finish it as I get a head ache during all the cute girls doing cute things scenes where they're all yelling for extended periods of time.

KanameYuuki

If I have no idea what so ever about Kantai Collection (Aside of being a card game or something like that, I think ) Should I give the anime a try?

And I should really give Jojo a try, but I don't like the art style : ( but everyone I know loves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom