• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steins Gate apparently. Though I guess it depends on how you define sci-fi.

Sci-fi doesn't have a debatable definition but has many different variations. The biggest issue with folks is when something is science fiction and science fantasy.

Xenoglossia.
lol

Denno Coil!!!1

Still need to check this out. I mean I'll have all the time in the world this upcoming season since I'm pretty sure nothing has caught my eye. Silver Fang has priority though.

Jesus Christ need to continue watching Space Bros. I stopped like halfway through since I was so busy. Then I also need to watch Planetes.

But we all know real reason Space Bros best "sci fi". Dat hair.

Quasar

Sci-fi doesn't have a debatable definition but has many different variations. The biggest issue with folks is when something is science fiction and science fantasy.

True. Though personally I don't equate science fiction to scifi. I guess I equate science fiction to hard science fiction. Scifi to me is on the softer end of things, such as most tv scifi.

fertygo

Yuki Yuna-10

Oh man this suffering train has no brakes. Madoka 10 worthy, easily. One thing I picked up in the previous episodes was how you're never shown the faces of any of the adults, even when they're talking to one of the characters. Wouldn't you know it that
they're in on it too. Also would explain why they're so accommodating of some girls becoming disabled randomly.
I also didn't expect Togo's little discovery.
I knew something was off about the world, mainly in how it was depicted as sort of dead and limited. Turns out that they're living on a literal ball of fire. Holy fucking shit.
They really can't stop fighting either. Oops.

I should mention that when MONACA is working on full cylinders, they really are. Emi Evans (you know her as the vocalist from Nier) really adds a lot to the OST and her vocals elevate it.
You and Cosmic will bitching 100x more about the ending than all of us before combined, god fucking shame.

wonzo

Banned
dogdayss21.jpg

it's only the op and the mofu levels are off the charts. this show :bow :bow

Has anyone here watched Nagatsu no Taizai?

Friend told me to watch it earlier and I just finished the first episode.

It seems incredibly generic so far and what the fuck is going on with the boob grabbing and stuff? Elizabeth just lays there while Meliodas just grabs her boobs. This happens twice in the first episode and she says nothing about it.

I found it so strange...

Not sure if I should keep watching.

Pooya

Xam'd 2-4

Quite enjoyable still, I hope there is no silly love triangle here.

1420717225-5.jpg

rooting for Haru anyway.

The war feels a lot like the war in Nausicaa, not just aesthetically either. I actually like it. It's not like we will get a proper Nausicaa adaptation ever.

1420717189-2.jpg

Panzer Dragoon Nakiami except with no Dragon.

The show looks a lot like properties I love and it feels like it can get like a JRPG plot so far. I'm mainly watching it for the art direction but it's fairly good so far though the production values dropped off, but still looks good. Lowered expectations for the story will probably help after all the replies last time.

The Raid: Redemption

God damn this was manly as shit. Possibly one of the coolest action films I've seen. Having a hard time deciding if I liked John Wick or this more. And I hear the second one has even more amazing action scenes. AOTY.

phaze

Parasyte - 13

Hahahaha. This episode was really ... something.

They establish that Protagonist has super senses and can't hear the detective sneaking up on him in the middle of the night? Fine, whatever, that in and of itself wasn't a dealbreaker for me but at the point where Shinichi hears the guys breathing outside, sees him from his goddamn balcony, and doesn't do shit as the guy slowly hobbles away? What? There's not a single way he could have just fucking jumped/climbed down and caught up with him to clear the air or at least get some information? They were fucking establishing how they knew absolutely nothing about the guy and how he was such a threat to their well being and you do absolutely nothing to potentially resolve that issue before it got out of hand? And that's ignoring the fucking detective in and of himself, why the hell would you go back to a place where a goddamn murderous morphing hand was just about to wreck your shit? What the fuck?

I dunno, a very strange episode for sure. Definitely a fumble in my eyes.

Yeah the whole detective bit wasn't very well written.

Gunbuster is still top 5 mecha series at least IMO

fuck Diebuster

Absolutely disgusting.

Die >>> Gun

Shippuden 394

zzzzzz There were some decent fight cuts in the new ED, that's about it.

Tuck

Kaiba will never be topped in my book.
Hated it. So boring.
Xam'd 2-4

Quite enjoyable still, I hope there is no silly love triangle here.

The war feels a lot like the war in Nausicaa, not just aesthetically either. I actually like it. It's not like we will get a proper Nausicaa adaptation ever.

The show looks a lot like properties I love and it feels like it can get like a JRPG plot so far. I'm mainly watching it for the art direction but it's fairly good so far though the production values dropped off, but still looks good. Lowered expectations for the story will probably help after all the replies last time.
Unfortunately, the animation is never as good as that first episode. The series is slow as hell,and characters don't feel like characters. they are just there to spout endless exposition and philosophical mumbo jumbo.

Hmmmm. Now I'm curious what's the top rated sci-fi anime. I mean I'm sure Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Yamato 2199 will be there.

Time of Eve (ESPECIALLY if you're into Asimov) and Serial Experiments Lain rank among the top for me. I'd imagine Dennou Coil would be pretty high on that list as well though I haven't gotten around to seeing it myself.

Edit : Oop, and Planetes as well. Always forget about Planetes, probably time for a rewatch.

Theonik

Code:
[ ] Not told
[x] Told
Hey man, if BASIC is good enough for NASA!

Fuwa coder best coder OF ALL TIME.
I wonder if she also uses emacs.

dogdayss21.jpg

it's only the op and the mofu levels are off the charts. this show :bow :bow
We told you son.

dog days s2 1-2

becky's transformation sure was uh… radically out of tune with the rest of the show
It is typical of the director.

Xam'd 2-4
This is a pet peeve of mine, but I think 'a proper Nausicaa adaptation' is a very silly concept considering the Nausicaa film was not really an adaptation in the first place.

Time of Eve (ESPECIALLY if you're into Asimov) and Serial Experiments Lain rank among the top for me. I'd imagine Dennou Coil would be pretty high on that list as well though I haven't gotten around to seeing it myself.

Edit : Oop, and Planetes as well. Always forget about Planetes, probably time for a rewatch.

Does the reddit atheist bear shit in the christian woods and proceed to tell everybody?

aka yes, I'll be sure to check it out.

cajunator

Banned
The OST is pretty much the only good thing about Yuuki Yuuna.

This is so so wrong

Ore Monogatari!! staff:

Director: Morio Asaka (Chihayafuru)
Series Composition: Natsuko Takahashi
Character Design: Kunihiko Hamada (Chihayafuru)
Studio: MADHOUSE

Cast:

Takeo Gōda: Takuya Eguchi
Rinko Yamato: Megumi Han
Makoto Sunakawa: Nobunaga Shimazaki

This is so so right

I miss 80's/90's character designs.

Character design has always been a mixed bag. there are still great character designs being made and equally horrific ones.

May you never lose that avatar.

Amen. It also reminds of Hito since he was the first to foist it on an unsuspecting NFL bet loser.
We miss you dude.

Steins Gate apparently. Though I guess it depends on how you define sci-fi.

I am ok with this!

Thoraxes

Dog Days S2 - 07

A good mix of fun with almost the whole gang involved. Of course the ending was going to turn out how it did lol.

I liked how they managed to mix some world-building in with the usual hi jinks.

cajunator

Banned
Dog Days S2 - 07

A good mix of fun with almost the whole gang involved. Of course the ending was going to turn out how it did lol.

I liked how they managed to mix some world-building in with the usual hi jinks.

why isnt this licensed? Can you figure it out BEAR? What do we have to do?

Thoraxes

why isnt this licensed? Can you figure it out BEAR? What do we have to do?

I'd buy the shit out of this show if they brought BDs over. It's so good.

Maybe it's time to start social media begging for it to happen. The bluray release rights could be one of those "up for grabs" licenses and all we gotta do is make some noise.

cajunator

Banned
I seem to remember that the Japanes BDs are subbed (or at least the first season, being the only ones I have) if you are feeling particularly flush!

Ive heard that several times but for some reason Im hesitant to buy in to completely japanese discs. If Aniplex for examplel icensed it and released it here in japanese form Id buy it immediately. Not sure what my hangup is.

Midonin

Aikatsu! Akari Generation 115

Cute New Years' episode. Akari and Juri make a nice pairing, though I can't help but feel Sumire and Hinaki were left out. Akari's family isn't as fun as Ichigo's - it can't be, it doesn't have Ringo. Apparently Akari has some latent building skills. Still adore Juri's signature song. The flamenco-inspired music instantly catches my attention.

Yuki Yuna-09

Oh god, the suffering was off the charts. That phone call was the best timing I've ever seen. I feel like Taisha is even more fucked up than Kyubey. Kyubey didn't out and out lie to the girls, he just omitted stuff. Here, Taisha is flat out lying to them to make them more placent.

The worse suffering that can befall people like this, is for the suffering to happen to others. In some ways this is kinda worse than Madoka. Here they have the option not to fight but if they don't, many people will die. God damn, Urobuchi would be proud.

Oh and the music has been on point.

Edit:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

THAT INTRO FOR EPISODE 10

Oh god, this is too much.

Yuki Yuna-10

Oh man this suffering train has no brakes. Madoka 10 worthy, easily. One thing I picked up in the previous episodes was how you're never shown the faces of any of the adults, even when they're talking to one of the characters. Wouldn't you know it that
they're in on it too. Also would explain why they're so accommodating of some girls becoming disabled randomly.
I also didn't expect Togo's little discovery.
I knew something was off about the world, mainly in how it was depicted as sort of dead and limited. Turns out that they're living on a literal ball of fire. Holy fucking shit.
They really can't stop fighting either. Oops.

I should mention that when MONACA is working on full cylinders, they really are. Emi Evans (you know her as the vocalist from Nier) really adds a lot to the OST and her vocals elevate it.

I thought those episodes and the next one were really well done.

Man oh man it's a shame that show really didn't stick its landing that well.

Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Ep. 1-3
*snip*

Dude. Episodes 4-6.

Episodes 4-6 man.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Has anyone here watched Nagatsu no Taizai?

Friend told me to watch it earlier and I just finished the first episode.

It seems incredibly generic so far and what the fuck is going on with the boob grabbing and stuff? Elizabeth just lays there while Meliodas just grabs her boobs. This happens twice in the first episode and she says nothing about it.

I found it so strange...

Not sure if I should keep watching.

Keep watching it!

It's like these best generic Shonen (so far). Make it to at least episode 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom