• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wake Up, Girls! is great. If you want fake idol bullshit go ahead and watch IdolM@ster. But if you want the real shit go watch yourself some WUG.

phaze

This is a fair criticism, and ultimately comes down to personal perspective, but for me this is one of the most crucial and appealing things about Boogiepop Phantom, at least the telly version: it tells its story from the many fractured perspectives of characters who are often bystanders, and never a single nor omniscient voice that has and knows the full story. It's not Baccano!, because we can never quite piece together the whole picture with the overlapping narratives, and it isn't Rashomon, because subjective perception is not what's at question but rather subjective experience, but that's what helps make it damn near unique in its telling.

I can see how this would be highly frustrating for some, but I suppose I'm coming at it as someone who has never been particularly concerned about loose ends of plot as opposed to character. The focus on individual stories and perspectives threaded together kaleidoscopically and grounded by an authentic view of adolescent experience forms the fundamental basis for the show, and is what makes it successful (or not.) I don't believe it does or even should rely on knowledge of the light novels to be "complete," as it were, for that reason.

I guess I'm kind of an opposite - a stickler for main story and for tying any earlier introduced plot lines with a big red bow when the ending rolls in. It is all the more grating as the last episode focuses on finishished the Manticore plotline and revealed some crucial facts but it's just too little to late. The beginning of those events remains hidden from the viewer, Boogiepop remains an enigma too.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Wat
AdfxtA5.png

Please give me animu. If I remember correctly its that little sister that
ends up not really being related to the older brother lol

Full Moon O Sagashite is one of my favorite shoujos. Damn its amazing and it ends beautifully. Easily one of the best anime endings. Gorgeous. Even the OST is phenomenal with all the songs by Changin My Life.

Too good... What was that shoujo of that girl that was an idol. She looked like a middle schooler.

previous GAF recomendations:
Katanagatari
Fate/Zero
Haikyuu
Mushi-shi
Time of Eve
Flowers of Evil
Humanity Has Declined
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Attack on Titan
Psycho Pass
Cross Ange
Haibane Renmei,
Kino's journey,
the movie Millennium Actress
Shin Sekai Yori
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Will look into this list!

Nanatsu no Taizai - 22

Well here I went in expecting three awesome fights, and I'm kinda disappointed with the outcome. I guess they're setting up for a major fight up next. Cool to see Threader again, he makes me think of Lost Sinner from Dark Souls II.
Quote from decayed man; "
Just like my will, my body will not rot or decay
"

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
The Rolling Girls 9-10
Alien.jpg
Funny how the reveal about Chiaya origin is done so casually. And then there's Kaguya and Momotaro inspired character in an episode about alien....
Macha green and Shigyo also back in the game, so i think there's a chance for some cool fight scene.

Cornbread78

Well no , you won't be able to see the end just yet.
Do , however buy the books ( released in english by yen press ) , with luck, in only 3 years they will have caught to the anime.

Oh man, reading is like hard and stuff, lol. If that is the only way to get the true conclusion to the story that will suck; I've really enjoyes it thus far. I'll have to look up the books online...

I'm on the third episode so far, this is an interesting one for sure. I'll have to watch for a little while longer to get deeper into the story for it to make sense

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So UK based event Hyper Japan's tickets go on sale tomorrow. Now I know the thought of being in the same building as the weebs disgusts you but I thought some may be interested in the guests they have.
http://hyperjapan.co.uk/latest-news/talking-about-japanese-anime/

See, the link says talking about Japanese anime, rather than that other anime from Mars or something. Though it looks like it's not animators but rather the guys with the money who will be talking. Let's hope one of them isn't the one who canned series two of Mitsudomoe…

Oh and there seems to be some idols too that you've probably not heard of because they are not fictional.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 9

DWMuYj1.jpg

Yeah Woof Woof and Devil Ape!

I been waiting for Woof Dog and Devil Ape to appear and they showed up like extreme badasses. The action was actually good, like real good holy shit. It was awesome seeing Woof Woof and Devil Ape destroying all these CCG investigators. When Woof Woof said die for me, that made me hyped as fuck. The music and the atmosphere in this episode was really on point, it actually made me feel sad especially on what's gonna occur. Also Yoshimura's speech was bone chilling and his Voice Actor was amazing. Ever since I heard that speech in the manga, it's been one of my favorite quotes in manga.

Like always these Ending cards are phenomenal, the art is exquisite. Props to the Author.

I'm on the third episode so far, this is an interesting one for sure. I'll have to watch for a little while longer to get deeper into the story for it to make sense

Here's all you need to know for TTGL to make sense:

1. GATTAI.
2. Kick logic out and do the impossible!
3. GATTAI.
4. Who the hell do you think they are?!?
5. GATTAI.

Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu - 27

CV1msb2.jpg

WHAT. WHAT. WHAT. WHAT.

Garis, the friendly likeable masked captain of the Daiku Maryu, is Ruru's father. He's also the guy who killed her mother RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER.

I can't. This reveal, guys. For a super robot show aimed towards kids, this is a dark freaking twist.

JoJo - 03

The fuck, this escalated quickly. For a brief moment I thought the glorious Dio saga would be over, but luckily that doesn't seem to be the case.
I like their use of colors and how it's changing alot for backgrounds, it's like a rainbow of fabulousness

DiGiKerot

So UK based event Hyper Japan's tickets go on sale tomorrow. Now I know the thought of being in the same building as the weebs disgusts you but I thought some may be interested in the guests they have.
http://hyperjapan.co.uk/latest-news/talking-about-japanese-anime/

See, the link says talking about Japanese anime, rather than that other anime from Mars or something. Though it looks like it's not animators but rather the guys with the money who will be talking. Let's hope one of them isn't the one who canned series two of Mitsudomoe…

Oh and there seems to be some idols too that you've probably not heard of because they are not fictional.

Also Eir Aoi, apparently.

I'll probably end up having to go.

/XX/

Not French so unfortunately I can't help you but if it ships with their dub aka the best dub and the most magnificent opening of all time, it is surely worth any price !
Here in Spain we got a very similar song for it, so I'm used to its "magnificence" (call it 'nostalgia'). :-D

AB disque is part of AB productions and their releases quality is barely average at best.

At this point , there is no place to get more info on the blu-ray quality. The best i could is to confirm that the sound quality is "stereo".
No i'm not kidding.
So trend at your own risk , one place did confirm the japanese voice track and there is the French voice track too but It's almost certain that the voice quality is shit.
As for the image quality , judging by their previous attempts ( dvd ) , expect the censored version with more than blurry pictures.
I see... yeah, a shame as I think I was expecting a bit too much quality at that price point. The complete series edition from the local official digital disc publisher and right-holder for the franchise here, Selecta Visión S.L.U., is starting to look damn fine in comparison!

Many thanks for the confirmation, R_thanatos. :)

Midonin

Absolute Duo 11

This is why you don't call people "useless" and destroy their self-confidence. It's a bit magic feather-y, but Miyabi's strength was inside her all along. What she lacked was confidence. Should've known the FPS guys were up to no good. An overall satisfying episode, on all fronts.

Yuri the Pooh 10

Like that.

I'm only 25 episodes into Utena, but I've finished all of Penguindrum. I'm hoping for a very introspective final episode.

Yuri Bears 10

You know I cannot say I'm entirely against the actions of the girls of the school towards Kureha and the bears. From their perspective it does entirely appear that she has been helping the bear kills their lovers and classmates. I'm fully expecting her during the court scene surely coming next episode to wish to become a bear. I don't know why, it just seems like a logical outcome.

Absolute Duo 11
SB7mhi3.png

she needed a good slap
also 1 ep left we have no idea what's up with his dead
(was it his sister?)

Yuri Kuma 10
dead Robo
bear powering ray gun! also who did they shoot? Just some random bear?
Lulu :(
good ep wonder what's up with her in court

Are you watching this by your own free will or are you being forced/watchbetted to?

Watching just cause

phaze

Yuri Kuma 10

Well this show continues to be on the roll. I didn't much care about first half outside of Lulu's flashback but this is much better. I'm glad they didn't just leave
Kureha's amnesia
unexplained. Her parting with Lulu was pretty touching. Music was on point as always.

I lost it at the
mechabear.

Absolute Duo 11

This is why you don't call people "useless" and destroy their self-confidence. It's a bit magic feather-y, but Miyabi's strength was inside her all along. What she lacked was confidence. Should've known the FPS guys were up to no good. An overall satisfying episode, on all fronts.

Seems like i need to see it to believe it.
Even if true , it doesn't remove her usefullness in the first 9 episodes.

Narag

Do we have any volunteers for the spring thread or do I get to laze through another one?

I'd finish the simulcast schedule this time though. For real :(

Yuri Kuma - 10

It certainly remains entertaining, especially in the 'da hell is this even?" department
Kuma Shock - it's a cyborg bear!

I still think nothing of the story though. Color me thoroughly surprised if there ends up being an actually interesting interpretation to all this that feels consistent and well thought through.

Nigh everything in this anime is so far removed from reality that it'll be hard to draw parallels to real society unless every piece in the puzzle really has its place.

Yurikuma Arashi 10:
This show continues to be really, really good. Lulu also further cements her status as the best character in this episode. I think it's pretty incredible how strong this show has been over the last seven episodes. The plot moved quite well again this week, and we also saw the themes of the series taking further shape.
Sometimes you have to be willing to give a part of yourself in order to fight for something important to you. This has been a recurring idea we've seen with Ginko and Lulu, and now it looks like Kureha as well will have to give something up. The picture book also points to Kureha and Ginko having to risk completely destroying themselves in order to be with one another. Compared to the other girls who just want to exclude everyone who is different than them, our three protagonists have to be willing to make sacrifices. The judges in the Court of Severance also seem like they're not completely in control of what they do, and even seemed to sympathize with Lulu even though they still had to return her to being a bear.

There were a lot of moments of genuine triumph in this episode, as we saw certain characters finally making some critical steps.
When Kureha saved Lulu and declared that she wouldn't let a friend be excluded, I really started to well up. It was an amazing moment, and the whole scene was directed very well. The Kureha/Lulu scenes all made the episode, between her inviting Lulu inside to clean up, their conversation, and the final scene when she tells Lulu to never come back. Kureha's feelings towards the human world make me think that she's probably going to leave it behind in some manner. The series has always on a fundamental level been about how screwed up our society is in the way that it excludes people for silly reasons, but perhaps the final idea will be that the only way to truly escape that is to leave the society altogether.

Assuming that Ikuhara can stick the landing (and I think the chances of that are pretty high given the excellent run the show has been on), I think this will be an early frontrunner for Anime of the Year.

Since it came up on /r/anime, what your 'favorite', read: most impactful, scream in anime?

My vote goes to this one in Welcome to the NHK (it's halfway through the show so !MAJOR SPOILER WARNING!) - link

Narag

Since it came up on /r/anime, what your 'favorite', read: most impactful, scream in anime?

My vote goes to this one in Welcome to the NHK (it's halfway through the show so !MAJOR SPOILER WARNING!) - link

That bit reminds me of something from another show that I can't quite put my finger on.

I just think it's a very... utilitarian way to view people that leaves emotions out of the equation. Not really my way of assessing characters.

I understand but i just have too much to say about her behavior in the first 9 eps. Too much has pilled up.not something you can erase with 2 eps.
And I will eat your heart! Bwahahahahaha!

getting ready for monster musume already ?

Stulaw

I'm mostly looking forward to April 4th.

• Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
  • The Dissapearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
  • Shokugeki no Soma
  • Denpa Kyoushi
  • and High School DxD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom