• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu 28-30

I'm really glad the show didn't make Garis all better right away. Having him put out of commision for a bit and making Ruru the captain in his place was a good idea.

That being said, poor Suspage. Dude's suffered so much abuse from Proist and a plan to get revenge on her backfires horribly on him, causing him to get himself killed.

Still waiting on that Nouza and Vestannu turnaround! Like, after getting their souls sucked out of them by Proist, it's really obvious now that they're gonna switch sides.

Also wow, it seems that Daiya's best friend from episode 1 is actually going to be relevant in the episodes to come.

I'm really surprised at how much I'm enjoying Gaiking. Like, its animation problems are still everywhere, but the story, while not anything revolutionary, is still keeping up a good pace by having likeable characters. Like, the whole crew is just so upbeat and pleasant, Proist is an enjoyably dislikable villain, and I'm enjoying the development the other generals are going through with regards to their honour. It's all stuff I've seen before, but it plays its cards effectively enough for me to care. I'm not gonna lie folks, I'm legit excited for this upcoming final battle.

You're a pretty awesome super robot show, Gaiking.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
With the return of Kiniro Mosaic I thought the British element for next season had been fulfilled, but then I saw this. What?

Fate/Zero - 01 & 02

This already looks more promising than Fate/Stay for me (which shouldn't be hard to beat), because the masters seem for the most part to be grown adults and not a bunch of kids.
It also feels more darker, like the psycho dude who summoned caster and the kid getting tentacled. The vampire worms or whatever they are with the girl.

Does Saber look the same in every Fate story? If I remember correct she barely looks different from Fate/Stay. The rest of the Servants shown so far looks pretty much different, though Archer looks sort of similar.
I hope they have the balls to
actually kill off a Servant this early, and not do some mambo jumbo Zimbabwe magic back to revival or "lol jk I was just acting dead!"
It's early so far, but at this moment I'm hoping for Rider or Archer to win the grailbowl, I couldn't care less about the Masters.
GU32gK5.jpg
1YlbJFI.jpg

Sterok

Yuri Kuma 10

Will the good bear get her yuri?
That sure is one organized student body. Now they're finally getting stuff done. Lulu gives her final goodbye while hunted. Cyborg bears are the best power source. Kureha sort of kind of accepts Lulu. Everyone is out for Kureha's head. Time for her trial to begin.

Digimon Tamers - 41

Damn, that's was a really powerful scene. Certainly didn't expect
one of the more direct and mature confessions from Takato.
I take slight issues with this because they're only 10 years old after all and all these coming of age themes would be quite a lot more appropriate if their average age was at least like 2-3 years higher, but I can live with that. If nothing else they've gone through a lot and that usually grows your character and matures you quicker.

I admit I'm actually skimming through the episodes rather quickly now. Even though the show is quite good, similarly to Digimon Adventure 1 the pacing is still somewhat slow. The combat is rarely really that interesting and the canned animations get boring eventually. Also, while it deals with many serious themes, and not badly at that, there's still a tad too much repetition and focus on e.g. the importance of friendship. On top of that the overall anime quality isn't particularly high, though the nice direction does carry the show well enough.

Of course that's expected in an older show with 51 episodes. The budget will be stretched out thinly. In that regard, I wonder about Digimon Adventure 03. Do we already now how many cours or even exact episode-count we'll get? I'm kinda eager to see more actual, hopefully quality, animation in the upcoming season. I mean the Hosada films provided some really nice Digimon animation for once.

Detective Conan 357:
This was an example of a pretty good anime original case. TMS smartly avoids trying to crib Gosho Aoyam's typical structure and goes for a case more centered around the main characters reactions to it. The crucial piece of evidence was pretty obvious from the start, but the remaining clues aren't really easily guessable since one of them involves
the victim being batshit insane
and the other involves a murderer whose motive isn't even hinted at until he confesses. But while they can't really get the sort of tough but solvable mystery that Aoyama excels at, TMS does a good job at creating an enjoyable 25 minute episode that gives Ran some positive focus and the episode is pretty well crafted from start to finish.

Mature

Do we have any volunteers for the spring thread or do I get to laze through another one?

I'd finish the simulcast schedule this time though. For real :(
Make sure to hound people who haven't started on any of their new years resolution backlog shows.

DraColle & Oreca Battle Episode 49

Guts power is incredible in these anime, blew Rei's clothes off even, wow.

Oreca was hilarious with Kerogon and the Oreca Boys antics running through. I will miss this.

Baalzebup

Fate/Zero - 01 & 02

Does Saber look the same in every Fate story? If I remember correct she barely looks different from Fate/Stay. The rest of the Servants shown so far looks pretty much different, though Archer looks sort of similar.

Fate spoilers addressing this follows, first Saber, then Archer. Saber's is a bit vague, Archer is more spoilery by nature. Read at your discretion:

Saber is the same hero on both Grail wars. Events from Fate/Zero directly lead to why she is summoned by Shirou in Fate/Stay Night.

As for Archer, what happens at the very end of Fate/Zero gives him the capacity of lingering around, waiting all the way for the next clash to try to have his way with things again. He is not summoned for the 5th war, and instead, is already there, so there are actually two Archer-class servants around.

Serial Experiments Lain 5:
Goddamn, this was an incredible piece of television. It's also one that I'm not sure I grasped even 50% of, so I'll definitely need to come back to this once I've finished the series. Things get a lot weirder compared to the previous episodes, complete with Lain's sister have a mental breakdown of sorts (or something) and there's a lot of discussion pointing at the nature of reality being malleable and a matter of perspective, as well as the fragile nature of human beings. Certain scenes in the episode also raise the question of what can come from relying too much on technology in every aspect in life, and shows how technical problems can lead to massive tragedies in the modern, heavily connected world.

The direction for the episode is top of the line, too. The episode very effectively uses sudden cuts to portray the complete lack of sense following certain events and the feeling of completely losing your touch on reality. The color composition in many of the scenes also supports, as does the warped perspective of certain structures (most notably the hallway at the end of the episode). It's pretty much flawless as an episode of a television series.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
And for his next trick; Kiss-Dum AND Dragonaut the Resonance at the same time!

I still feel so sorry for Shouta about Dragonaut....

And lo, a dark cloud did further descend upon his skeletal visage, now as but a black fog. The challenge, the deed, the contract - sealed.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
It's Dio's World and we're just living in it.

I don't mind volunteering and doing odd jobs for the thread! I wanna get more involved with this crazy anime community lol. We at mangaf are way too lazy and just read for dayssss
Please don't hurt me for saying the truth! We just read! ALL DAY!

Herobank Episode 49
CAQfcEiXIAA16tn.jpg

Herobank remains best Monday anime in years. Sekito actually doing the Big Money Company pose was his best moment, and his face when he said his line, so shy, embarassed, and willing at least. I hope they do it one more time before the finale and maybe he will be more into it.
no way they would kill him off since he's data, maybe he will get a real body even

Funny antagonist goal though, reconfirmed why people call it herobutt.

Narag

I don't mind volunteering and doing odd jobs for the thread! I wanna get more involved with this crazy anime community lol. We at mangaf are way too lazy and just read for dayssss
Please don't hurt me for saying the truth! We just read! ALL DAY!

You could get with Firehawk and help organize the podcast.

phaze

Fate/Zero - 01 & 02

This already looks more promising than Fate/Stay for me (which shouldn't be hard to beat), because the masters seem for the most part to be grown adults and not a bunch of kids.
It also feels more darker, like the psycho dude who summoned caster and the kid getting tentacled. The vampire worms or whatever they are with the girl.

I hope they have the balls to
actually kill off a Servant this early, and not do some mambo jumbo Zimbabwe magic back to revival or "lol jk I was just acting dead!"
It's early so far, but at this moment I'm hoping for Rider or Archer to win the grailbowl, I couldn't care less about the Masters.

Disrespecting Kariya-Sama. Absolutely disgusting.

But enjoy it, it doesn't get much better than F/Z, especially when it shifts into high gear for the second half.

Great Teacher Onizuka 24

I didn't think I would enjoy this episode very much as it seemed as just a lone episodic one, slipped in between the mini arcs but boy was I wrong. Vice-Principal is just the very best and seeing every single thing going wrong for him just never gets old. I wouldn't be particularly thrilled either if Onizuka came to my house or started hanging out with my daughter. It seems our baby boomer has finally accepted Onizuka as the member of the staff, a development I certainly wasn't expecting. Great episode, the bear costume conundrum had me in stitches.

Firehawk, where you at?!
There's a podcast? lol, since its that much, I'll have to think about it if Firehawk is cool with having me help organize it.

Yams plz

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| We Still Can't Understand What Our Waifus are Saying
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| We Have Controversial Opinions: Everything is Shit
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Welcome to Bullies, Inc., nerds.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Good, Wholesome Home Cooking
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Foodgasms are totally a real thing
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Our Spring Thread!!
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| We Do Odd Jobs
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Cross Ange Appreciation Thread
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Space Vietnam. It's Vietnam but in Space
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Nisekoi Still Sucks

Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road Episode 22

When is a season 3 announcement. So many writing mistakes this whole anime that everything must be corrected or improved in a second year. T2 deserves more love, iMYzumi deserves another chance, and Manami needs more screentime.

Loved Manami all episode especially when he got series and unzipped the outfit, incredible.
please let him win, please

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Gintama the Anime we need but don't deserve
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Gintama the only Anime where dirty jokes can be funny

Mushishi 5:
Damn, this is honestly one of the most gorgeous shows ever made. The scenery is just downright incredible. It's almost not even fair to other anime that this show exists, because every scene is just a feast for the eyes.

It seemed like the episode was heading towards another depressing ending, but instead things wound up working out. There was a bit more continuity here to a couple of previous episodes, and the episode also wound up exploring Ginko's motivations a bit more, compared to how the previous episodes had him as more of a facilitator to the plot. I also can't imagine the psychological effect everything in this episode must have had on that girl. Not an easy life to deal with.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| I'm Just Trying to Fit In

Should be "Tri-ing".

phaze

Serial Experiments Lain 5:
Goddamn, this was an incredible piece of television. It's also one that I'm not sure I grasped even 50% of, so I'll definitely need to come back to this once I've finished the series. Things get a lot weirder compared to the previous episodes, complete with Lain's sister have a mental breakdown of sorts (or something) and there's a lot of discussion pointing at the nature of reality being malleable and a matter of perspective, as well as the fragile nature of human beings. Certain scenes in the episode also raise the question of what can come from relying too much on technology in every aspect in life, and shows how technical problems can lead to massive tragedies in the modern, heavily connected world.

The direction for the episode is top of the line, too. The episode very effectively uses sudden cuts to portray the complete lack of sense following certain events and the feeling of completely losing your touch on reality. The color composition in many of the scenes also supports, as does the warped perspective of certain structures (most notably the hallway at the end of the episode). It's pretty much flawless as an episode of a television series.

Still not the best episode!
Man... I wish I could erase my memory and watch it again. Even when it does recaps or info dumps it does it in unique way.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Cross Ange Appreciation Thread

This please. Funny and factual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom