• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This community kills me, lol.

Sorry for asking so many questions, I know most of you guys hated SAO, but I really liked it aND it brought me here. I wish there were more stories out there like it with action, humor, romance and raw emotion built into it..

Looking forward to getting more opinions from the "insiders" lol

I can understand someone new to anime being enamored by SAO, and I'm not saying that from some kind of elitist mindset. It's just a lot of people used to anime/manga/whatever storytelling will have seen what SAO has done many times before, and for the most part much better (in their eyes), even if the premise can be said to be inherently appealing.

There's a big discussion to be had with why people both like and hate it. In the beginning, it wasn't THAT hated around here (toonamigaf excluded), with people acknowledging some flaws as simple nitpicks. As it went on, more storytelling (and sometimes animation/music) faux-pas began to prop up that people around here and other corners of the internet weren't too fond of.

Even so, it's a super popular franchise, so it's not like you're alone.

Baalzebup

I guess it's like discerning the shapes you see in a psychiatrist's office, everyone can see something different at times. Plus Coke vs. Pepsi, McDonald's vs. BK, and all that..

Definitely a case of different strokes. Don't worry, SAO isn't universally hated or anything. I for one, liked it for the most part. There were some unnecessary parts and Kirito does come off as a bit too much of a Mr. Perfect, but it was a good show. If/when we get S3, I'll be there.

Quasar

brb letting the past 4 millennia know that good art doesn't exist after all, they've been wasting their time all along.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just that not everyone has the same tastes. And I don't think people need to beat themselves up and sit through pieces of media they aren't enjoying at all just because a group of people feel the need to force their tastes on everyone.

Citizen Kane is a perfect example of this. Top of the film canon, and a film I personally love. But I'm not going to force everyone watch it or hold it against people who find it boring as fuck and much prefer Star Wars or something. Loving film as medium seems more important to me from the pov of a person watching film for entertainment.

Not that there's a anime canon.

Damn then I got to Agents of Shield episode 16 (skipped a few episodes that I researched were somehow risk free to skip).

NOW I'M A BELIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER! Duckroll hype can be real once in a while.

Cross Ange 23

There was something EXTREMELY cathartic about Ange
shooting that dude in the head, even if it's kind of a dick move considering all that brainwashing. But hey, might as well if she's gonna wreck the world anyway.

Yona of the Dawn 11:
CARUneuU0AAfSZs.png
CARYI_fU0AETSvc.png
What a show. I just love watching these character so much. Yona hits on the key factor of being able to mock all of the characters and have funny moments with them, but then turn around and have some very serious, heartfelt moments with the same characters. It's not an easy task to accomplish.

The development of Yona herself has also been really great. She's becoming a much stronger character, both in how she deals with other people, as well as in her physical strength. I'm excited to see where she goes next. Gija has also been a very fun addition to the cast, and his interactions with Hak (who is increasingly more and more tsundere) are constantly amusing (and even there they can turn serious, as we saw with the two of them at the end of the episode).

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Leg man are welcomed here
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Monster musume appreciation thread
Spring Anime 2015 |OT| It's getting lewder by each passing days

This community kills me, lol.

Sorry for asking so many questions, I know most of you guys hated SAO, but I really liked it aND it brought me here. I wish there were more stories out there like it with action, humor, romance and raw emotion built into it..

Looking forward to getting more opinions from the "insiders" lol

I have mixed feeling toward SAO
- I enjoy Aincrad arc for the most part (except harem and Yui part)
- Alfheim arc is bad due to lack of Klein and Agil. Villain is too extreme to be taken seriously, and some part just make me goes LOL (that sacrifice scene)
- Gun Gale Online is enjoyable, though they really put too much focus on Shinon ass, and the trauma part is over the top
- Excaliber arc, well, this one is okay, nothing too offensive, and there's my best husbando Klein.
- Mother Rosario, one of the better SAO arc for sure. I can see why novel reader like this arc the most. There's a clear theme, and Asuna takes the center stage.

Yona of the Dawn 11:

What a show. I just love watching these character so much. Yona hits on the key factor of being able to mock all of the characters and have funny moments with them, but then turn around and have some very serious, heartfelt moments with the same characters. It's not an easy task to accomplish.

The development of Yona herself has also been really great. She's becoming a much stronger character, both in how she deals with other people, as well as in her physical strength. I'm excited to see where she goes next. Gija has also been a very fun addition to the cast, and his interactions with Hak (who is increasingly more and more tsundere) are constantly amusing (and even there they can turn serious, as we saw with the two of them at the end of the episode).

Yep the character develloppement in yona is fantastic. Every member of the cast is troughly devellopped and their action make sense .
the fact that they manage to mix light moments and serious moment so well is proof that the writting's strong.

kuroshiki

It's been while I watched anime.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso.

HOLY SHIT.

HOLY SHIT.

HOLY SHIT.

The opening totally fooled me. I thought this was going to be teenage comedy show?!

jbug617

Banned

The June releases looking like this according to Funimation Store via http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?41554-FUNimation-June-2015-Solicitations

.hack//G.U. Trilogy (Sub Only)
BlazBlue - Alter Memory
Fairy Tail: Collection 4
Is This a Zombie? of the Dead
Nobunagun: Complete Collection (LE also)
OniAi (SAVE)
Origin: Spirits of the Past (SAVE)
Ping Pong the Animation
Soul Eater (Premium Set)
Soul Eater Not!
The Sacred Blacksmith (SAVE)
Tokyo Ravens, Part 2
Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE: CLAMP Double Feature (SAVE)
Wanna be the Strongest in the World! (LE also)

Thank you to everyone for the warm re-welcome and myriad re-recommendations, it means a lot and I've missed you all. If I've left you out I probably appreciated your response (I really haven't watched anime in like a year, Ping Pong and Kaguya aside) but merely could not think of anything witty to say about it.

About Deus Ex
Helios Ending right?

Now that rapport is established, you should watch Your Lie in April.

The June releases looking like this according to Funimation Store via http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?41554-FUNimation-June-2015-Solicitations

.hack//G.U. Trilogy
BlazBlue - Alter Memory
OniAi (SAVE)
Ping Pong the Animation
Soul Eater (Premium Set)
Soul Eater Not!
Tokyo Ravens, Part 2
No release date for prize commodity the Strike Witches Movie? Trashimation.

Jex

Watching the new Hnter x Hunter and am surprised they aren't taking the FMAB route by rushing through stuff covered in the original show. Good on Madhouse.

Makin me feel old though as I read these volumes of the manga like 13+ years ago if not more :/

Well that's not quite true. In the original adaptations the Yorknew Arc begins at episode 51, where in the remake it begins at episode 39. Things are cut out and trimmed to achieve that difference.

Well that's not quite true. In the original adaptations the Yorknew Arc begins at episode 51, where in the remake it begins at episode 39. Things are cut out and trimmed to achieve that difference.

A lot of the time difference comes from both the slower pacing of the 99 version (due to it starting pretty close to the manga's debut 1.5 years) and the filler content added to the 99 version as well. The only thing the 2011 removed was most of the first chapter (aka first encounter with Kite) and moved it after the GI arc.

Thoraxes

.hack//G.U. Trilogy (Sub Only)
BlazBlue - Alter Memory
OniAi (SAVE)
Ping Pong the Animation
Soul Eater (Premium Set)
Soul Eater Not!
Tokyo Ravens, Part 2
Fuckin' finally.

In for Ping Pong (4 days after my birthday!) and Is this a Zombie S2 (where the hell have the BDs been all this time). Was thinking about importing Ping Pong BDs recently too. Now I don't have to!

Apparently Mirai Nikki BDs are coming this summer too, if that post is anything to go by.

Cross Game - 1

What the fuck is up with baseball anime killing off characters in the first/second episode? First I see it in Major, and now this. Now Kou has to go with the sister #2.

Blusby

Caught up on everything I was following this season, to keep it brief:

Junketsu no Maria: Lost a bit of steam but still an enjoyable series.

Saenai whatever: Bad bad bad, regularly references the terrible trappings of the genre it belongs to and yet mostly does nothing to subvert them.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A: Crap, also watching it I have to say that I don't feel much for the original work anymore.

Yoru no Yatterman: Also pretty bad with lots of "so funnay xD" humor (see pissing Kobayashi) and the content of the side trips along the way just being uninteresting.

Yuri Kuma Arashi: This series really disappoints, it has been on a steady decline after the first three episodes where it went from its offbeat, yet cool presentation to what we have now as a rather straightforward yet boring drama. The drama simply doesn't work because Yuri Kuma doesn't really have characters so why should any of us care for what's going on? The visuals, music, and Yurizono are still solid though.

Garo: I really enjoyed the whole farmer arc but this series too lost some steam from its transition to the last arc.

Shirobako: This series is the one that's been consistently good throughout.

Spring seasons pls come quick.

I managed to get through some of my backlog though:

Gunslinger Girl S1: Better than what it covered in the manga, really good stuff.
Gunslinger Girl S2: Dropped it 5 mins into episode 1, disgusting.
Mouryou no Hako: This is a really cool series, though I'll wait till' its conclusion to have a more concrete opinion of it but so far it's good (on episode 09).

Yuri Kuma Arashi: This series really disappoints, it has been on a steady decline after the first three episodes where it went from its offbeat, yet cool presentation to what we have now as a rather straightforward yet boring drama. The drama simply doesn't work because Yuri Kuma doesn't really have characters so why should any of us care for what's going on? The visuals, music, and Yurizono are still solid though.

That's because Ikuhara no longer knows how to do any storytelling other than to vomit endless flashbacks at the viewer. It's the same thing that that ruined Penguindrum. Utena being as good as it was seems like a miracle. That tight structure must have saved it from Ikuhara's self-indulgence.

fertygo

That's because Ikuhara no longer knows how to do any storytelling other than to vomit endless flashbacks at the viewer. It's the same thing that that ruined Penguindrum. Utena being as good as it was seems like a miracle. That tight structure must have saved it from Ikuhara's self-indulgence.

I'm gonna channeling firehawk a bit here, inserting mini flashback in every eps seem work very well for Person of Interest =p

I can see what Ikuhara want to do, that kind of structure does made interesting back-forth dynamic, flashback in Yurikuma was boring tho.

I'm gonna channeling firehawk a bit here, inserting mini flashback in every eps seem work very well for Person of Interest =p

I can see what Ikuhara want to do, that kind of structure does made interesting back-forth dynamic, flashback in Yurikuma was boring tho.

I haven't seen Person of Interest, but flashback heavy storytelling is difficult to pull off, it's a risk that one shouldn't take unless you know what you are doing. And Ikuhara has failed to do it effectively in both Yurikuma and Penguimdrum. The structure of both of those shows has been heavily flawed.

fertygo

I haven't seen Person of Interest, but flashback heavy storytelling is difficult to pull off, it's a risk that one shouldn't take unless you know what you are doing. And Ikuhara has failed to do it effectively in both Yurikuma and Penguimdrum. The structure of both of those shows has been heavily flawed.

I like Penguindrum a lot, so its hard to agree with you regarding that =p
But it seem Ikuhara does hide a lot major meat behind those flashback, either characterization of plot..I think its better to use those flashback to more minor stuff. adding little by little if you want to use that kind of structure.

That's kind of what PoI does.

The flashbacks in Yuri Kuma are a serious detriment for me. Unless well done I really dislike this kind of storytelling where they constantly reveal major background information via flashbacks. The current timeline of Yuri Kuma makes next to no sense and basically requires me to take a good guess or simply wait for another revelation to breathe some understanding into me. It's even worse here because we're constantly teased with more to come. They're similar to pointless twists. It's not like these revelations change my point of view in an interesting way and feel like puzzle pieces click into place. No, instead s.th. that didn't work before makes a bit more sense for the first time.

There's also this point where I wonder: "wouldn't I enjoy this story more if it were told more linearly?" Because the vast majority of 'twists' in this story aren't any good, there's no actual benefit from the constant flashbacks. It's a very cheap "stay tuned for possibly GROUNDBREAKING REVELATIONS in the next episode!" A promise that's never really delivered.

Meanwhile, if we had a more linear story I wouldn't be needlessly confused the first 6 episodes or so. That may still not help the rather unimpressive story itself, but at least the storytelling wouldn't grind my gears as much.

I also tend to dislike watching a show that has half it's actual story taking place in the past. I really got irritated watching Mekakucity Actors for that reason. Towards the end I was like "fuck, what was even the point of having all these characters get together when, instead of having them do anything we're just told their personal background stories over almost the entire show. Until the very last episode pretty much."

I dunno, I think there are further issues I have with excessive use of flashbacks but can't really articulate currently. I'll simply agree with Basileus777 that heavy flashback storytelling is difficult to pull off well.

Thoraxes

If you don't care about the thematic materials and symbolism for the actual story of the series and just watch it without getting involved in it and all it has to offer, you'll completely miss the point of Yurikuma, which is definitely happening in this thread. It's a really rewarding show if you manage to get invested in it. But if you don't like those things, you don't like them. Can't really change that.

I've had some great and engaging discussions about the show on other internet discussion forums, and the insights of the people in those places has been really fantastic at outlining how good this show really is.

It's getting to that point where I stop recognizing people in this thread.

We are all secretly bears, gao gao~
Wakaba Girl is getting a TV anime series in July http://otakomu.jp/archives/235535.html

With Funi who knows, they're rather incompetent and might not check which masters Japan sends them. Even US release of Karekano and Boogiepop Phantom (TRSI, so it's a problem not limited to recent times or just Funi) had broadcast masters. :(
I don't know what this is, but I want to see it because it looks really cute.

And yeah, Funi is usually bad with those things.

If you don't care about the thematic materials and symbolism for the actual story of the series and just watch it without getting involved in it and all it has to offer, you'll completely miss the point of Yurikuma, which is definitely happening in this thread. It's a really rewarding show if you manage to get invested in it. But if you don't like those things, you don't like them. Can't really change that.

That's kind of my issue with Yuri Kuma, how do I get to care about these things when there's isn't a good story to convey them.

I want to have a good story first and foremost. If, additionally, there's some good thematic and symbolic analysis to be had, great, I'll gladly indulge in it. If the story feels poorly constructed and merely serves as a basic framework for all that though...thanks, but no thanks.

The problem is that thematic material and symbolism only matter if the core story and characters are engaging. Which is not what I find to be happening with Yuikuma. People aren't missing out on the point of the show so much as they are disinvested in it and its poor structure and storytelling. The easy comparison here is to Utena, where one could gloss by 95% of the symbolism and still find a great show about compelling characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom