• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stulaw

Got my Paprika and Nausicaa Steelbook order today, I'll be watching these later, I haven't watched Paprika before and I haven't seen Nausicaa in 10 years.
20150317_120201l8u8c.jpg

phaze

Gunslinger Girl S1: Better than what it covered in the manga, really good stuff.
Gunslinger Girl S2: Dropped it 5 mins into episode 1, disgusting.

This has been on my radar as something to check out eventually, can you elaborate ? Did the quality dropped so much or is it some violence/sex/fan service stuff ?

Blusby

This has been on my radar as something to check out eventually, can you elaborate ? Did the quality dropped so much or is it some violence/sex/fan service stuff ?

Quality drop and also bad directing, there was ridiculous looking shaking cams and stills for most of what I saw. The drawings also looked like total ass.

DiGiKerot

The original Gunslinger Girl was made at Madhouse, and looks like a typical, high-quality Madhouse production, with well-considered direction and good animation.

Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino was made by Artland, and even as early as the first episode, often it's idea of animation is shaking the camera wildly at static images.

Blusby

So I watched S1 of Psycho Pass and enjoyed it.

But I hear S2 isn't so hot. Anyone weigh in?

S1 is bad and S2 is a gold mine of laughs.

For actual reasons there's a noticeable drop in the quality and the writing being comically dark with funny twists.

phaze

Quality drop and also bad directing, there was ridiculous looking shaking cams and stills for most of what I saw. The drawings also looked like total ass.

The original Gunslinger Girl was made at Madhouse, and looks like a typical, high-quality Madhouse production, with well-considered direction and good animation.

Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino was made by Artland, and even as early as the first episode, often it's idea of animation is shaking the camera wildly at static images.

Yikes, thanks for the info. I wouldn't actually mind this much as it only shortens the number of episodes, I would have to go through by half, but does the S1 concludes in some satisfying way ? I wouldn't want to get burned by a cliffhanger ending or major unresolved plot lines.

dan2026

S1 is bad and S2 is a gold mine of laughs.

For actual reasons there's a noticeable drop in the quality and the writing being comically dark with funny twists.

Unless you take the series super seriously, S2 is definitely worth watching for a barrel of laughs. It's so over the top and stupid. :)

I might give it a go then.
S1 already strayed into campery. Sounds like S2 went all the way.

Jarmel

Banned
The problem is that thematic material and symbolism only matter if the core story and characters are engaging. Which is not what I find to be happening with Yuikuma. People aren't missing out on the point of the show so much as they are disinvested in it and its poor structure and storytelling. The easy comparison here is to Utena, where one could gloss by 95% of the symbolism and still find a great show about compelling characters.

Pretty much. I don't give a shit about Kureha. Lulu and Ginko are much more interesting as characters.

Also the structure of the show is piss poor. Yes I know people are handwaving it by saying it's Ikuhara but a good chunk of a number of episodes are either plot dumps, monologues, or flashbacks. If this was a longer show in which there was more space to pad some of these elements out, I might let it pass but it's really overbearing in the show.

The flashbacks in Yuri Kuma are a serious detriment for me. Unless well done I really dislike this kind of storytelling where they constantly reveal major background information via flashbacks. The current timeline of Yuri Kuma makes next to no sense and basically requires me to take a good guess or simply wait for another revelation to breathe some understanding into me. It's even worse here because we're constantly teased with more to come. They're similar to pointless twists. It's not like these revelations change my point of view in an interesting way and feel like puzzle pieces click into place. No, instead s.th. that didn't work before makes a bit more sense for the first time.

There's also this point where I wonder: "wouldn't I enjoy this story more if it were told more linearly?" Because the vast majority of 'twists' in this story aren't any good, there's no actual benefit from the constant flashbacks. It's a very cheap "stay tuned for possibly GROUNDBREAKING REVELATIONS in the next episode!" A promise that's never really delivered.

Meanwhile, if we had a more linear story I wouldn't be needlessly confused the first 6 episodes or so. That may still not help the rather unimpressive story itself, but at least the storytelling wouldn't grind my gears as much.

I also tend to dislike watching a show that has half it's actual story taking place in the past. I really got irritated watching Mekakucity Actors for that reason. Towards the end I was like "fuck, what was even the point of having all these characters get together when, instead of having them do anything we're just told their personal background stories over almost the entire show. Until the very last episode pretty much."

I dunno, I think there are further issues I have with excessive use of flashbacks but can't really articulate currently. I'll simply agree with Basileus777 that heavy flashback storytelling is difficult to pull off well.

So this somewhat reminds me of some criticisms I've seen of LOST and I can't really disagree. That said, I think the show was much better than Yurikuma and at handling the flashbacks in that while the show did use them for twist purposes, I think the flashbacks were better integrated into the present events and characters on the island.

cajunator

Banned
Man I can't remember any good OST's from 2014, though last year was a very weak Anime year for me.

I cant either if Im honest

15 maximum.

All time.

Oh yea some additional information:

There will be a Best Composer voting subsection that I will limit to three votes per person (mostly because I'm lazy) and a Best Song with the same restriction.

Edit:I'll explain this in the thread OP later but a big point of Best Song is for people who want to highlight OPs and ED.

Well ok if the OST thing spans back to the beginning of anime I can name quite a few favorites then.

Little Witch Academia
That was awesome! Amazing animation, and some really good action. Loved the story though it was a bit cliche in some regards. Can't wait for the sequel.

I'd love for a full series on this.

Sucy best witch. You know it to be true!

should've bought dr hitomi's infirmary v1 & centaurs worries v1-5 instead

solid advice

Shirobako Episode 1

Ah, I love my seinen in my shows. Hopefully some slice of life can be seen there, it just feels overwhelming seeing how much work goes into animation.

I haven't read it personally but I have seen the art for it and man is it breath taking at times.

Shirobako is legit great. youll love it.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| Only thing I ain't allergic to are all these waifus

Glad to see people watching Shirobako, I got into it really late but it's a great way of seeing how anime is made. Quite a stressful show, the struggle for these people is real.

sonicmj1

Yikes, thanks for the info. I wouldn't actually mind this much as it only shortens the number of episodes, I would have to go through by half, but does the S1 concludes in some satisfying way ? I wouldn't want to get burned by a cliffhanger ending or major unresolved plot lines.
I was satisfied at the end of the first season. I watched S1 on its own and really enjoyed it.

Space Dandy, Terror in Resonance, and One Week Friends all had great OSTs.
Ping Pong also had an incredible soundtrack.

cajunator

Banned
Kyon reminds me of Porky from Accel World.

They seriously moeified (if that's even a word) everything. It doesn't help that Haruhi looks a bit like a monkey.

Yuki is just adorable but otherwise yuck.

Shirobako 7

blonde twin tails is best girl

i would watch Jiggly Jiggly Heaven. Can we get that as an OVA?

ema is so moe

nee-san is such a troll, i'm in love

this is some existential shit right here

Ping Pong 7

all this engrish

but pretty action light, instead favoring character development, and really good shit too.

lol what a creeper

and then there's this white knight

yeah, smiles totally gonna have to face the same predicament with peco, it's so obvious. so, so obvious

Mushishi Zoku Shou 17

holy shit this was depressing

jesus. the moment when the kid
turned into vapor in his mother's arms
was fucking brutal

Parasyte 7

is he gonna get a sidekick? totally a superhero show now

i have this bad feeling
Miki-chan
is gonna get rekt.

ahhh yeah. what a great team. I hope we see more of this team up.

Power Plant No.33

I...is...is this...is this a Pacific Rim anime? BASED FUCKING TRIGGER

This was just amazing. Such a well formed and explained world (aside from the robot) with so little time to do it, it looks absolutely gorgeous, and the gargantuan sizes are so fully formed. Like, both the kaiji and the robot just feel big and heavy. Like, End of Eva gets props for making stuff like Asuka's final fight feels so big, and heavy, but in that department it's got nothing on this. Sure, this was a pretty simplistic fight, but holy hell did if feel like the sizes were right. Absolutely well done.

Also that main girl de-suiting at the end UNF so hard. Would totally waifu. Theonik, Zachy, Cajun, et al. get on this shit.

--------

okay, well, appearently we're gonna hit critical mass soon with my List Double Dose? Wish me luck.

Blood-C 7

PEOPLE ARE DISAPPEARING EN MASSE but just keep an eye on your daughter k? ;p

yes let me think, who could it be

the dog is basically gonna turn out to be like satan right

if school's cancelled, why are you still there, teacher?

YARRRR CALL ME BLOOD BEARD MATEY

SAMURAI BEETLE MAN, YOU CUR

so is this like Dark Souls the anime?

oh so you don't even know? or are you just being a cheeky cunt. fuck off.

Arjuna 7

IS CHRIS DEAD PLEASE LORD LET HIM BE DEAD

is this episode gonna be about mining? please let it be about mining

cindy fuck you

tokio fucking lol

ALL THIS COLA He's jittery because of all the caffeine moron wait seriously that's what this episode's gonna be about? lololololololol

PRESERVATIVES DON'T GET RID OF NUTRIENTS AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGG

wait it's seriously promoting psychic plants hahahahahahahahahahahahahha

WHAT TGE FUCKKKKKK WHY IS THERE A COMMERCIAL FOR THAT DRINK RIGHT NOW

HE'S A MUMMY

please let him die please

lol there's totally hentai of this isn't there?

wait...please...please let this be true...

WORDS ARE MAGIC

dammit

actually no words are against nature now. really. fucking really.

mother fucking WORDS

lolololololololololololololololololololololol fucking denied tokio

this show is seriously against words

profile_picture_by_plasticsammich-d4m6yny.png

AGAINST FUCKING WORDS

as a poet, this was my reaction, without using my ink of choice (toxic words):

darkwraith_playtime_by_menaslg-d5ok8ob.jpg

fucking lol lord save me i'm gonna have an aneurysm from laughing and anger

words

wordddddddddsssssssss

also that preview fuckkkk

i'm done

fucking hell

goodnight gaf.

and god speed.

fuck you chris

These are so good. Im really enjoying this.
I can almost feel the rage coming off the screen.

Seiken Tsukai no World Break 10
He justs keep on adding to the harem and now he's also super op too.
also probability of her drowning?
0%

Saikin, Imouto no Yousu ga Chotto Okashiinda ga. 1-2

Wat
AdfxtA5.png

Also finished K-On! and started K-On!!

Oh dear God why? Imocho is the worst shit since Eiken.

FelixOrion is broken, i mean watching Blood-C and arjuna at the same time ...

Stay strong , felix !!

He should watch Yami to Boshi next!

sweet, that's the one I was leaning towards....

Thank you, so next week, I'm going to have to pick a series to watch this week now on Crunchyroll...

So after Voices of a Distant Star, where should I look next for a good Anime series that has a good story/plotline, good relationships/love stories, it can be crude (I stumbled upon the holy boobs of Sekirei this weekend, but it's not on Crunchy, lol) and action/adventure to go alone with the story could be nice as well: I need to plot the series out now. For reference, my only Anime experience is SAO and Log Horizon. I really loved SAO and everything it offered. (Crunchyroll)

previous GAF recomendations:
Katanagatari
Fate/Zero
Haikyuu
Mushi-shi
Time of Eve
Flowers of Evil
Humanity Has Declined
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Attack on Titan
Psycho Pass
Cross Ange
Haibane Renmei,
Kino's journey,
the movie Millennium Actress
Shin Sekai Yori
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

You literally cannot go wrong with anything on that list.
Maybe Psycho Pass, if I were to pick the weakest one.

Dead

well not really...yet
A lot of the time difference comes from both the slower pacing of the 99 version (due to it starting pretty close to the manga's debut 1.5 years) and the filler content added to the 99 version as well. The only thing the 2011 removed was most of the first chapter (aka first encounter with Kite) and moved it after the GI arc.
Yeah, I went back to my copy of the manga and noticed the beginning was cut, and wondered why. I assumed it would show up at some point.

cajunator

Banned
Voices of a Distant Star

I didn;t realize this was a "classic" anime when entering, very intersting short story, that is for sure. Sad story, but hard to feel the emotion deeply because of it being a short film with no character build up, backstory or progression.

Also, is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann the same as Gurren Lagann? Garren Lagann is the only one on Crunchy..

Voices is probably Shinkai's most visceral work. I certainly think it was his most heartfelt one, as the succeeding ones got better in quality of production they also lost a bit of heart. I dont know, its hard to explain why but those following films never grabbed me quite like Voices did, for all its simplicity.

Too good... What was that shoujo of that girl that was an idol. She looked like a middle schooler.

Will look into this list!

Im not sure what show you refer too. Any other things you remember about it?

Oh man, reading is like hard and stuff, lol. If that is the only way to get the true conclusion to the story that will suck; I've really enjoyes it thus far. I'll have to look up the books online...

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

I'm on the third episode so far, this is an interesting one for sure. I'll have to watch for a little while longer to get deeper into the story for it to make sense

This show will blow your mind. Prepare yourself for the most insane stuff.

This face scares me lol

Yandereface is best face.

javac

I was rally sad because I hated Gurren Lagann with a passion. I know I shouldn't feel contempt for not liking something, but I really wanted to like it and and by the end I wanted to throw my blu-ray into the trash, set it on fire and dance on it's charred remains.

I was rally sad because I hated Gurren Lagann with a passion. I know I shouldn't feel contempt for not liking something, but I really wanted to like it and and by the end I wanted to throw my blu-ray into the trash, set it on fire and dance on it's charred remains.

I hated it when I first watched it and recently made myself give it another ago. I really dislike the first few episodes, but I think it's a much better show than I originally believed, albeit not a classic or anything.

Sailor Moon R 43

Well, it's a clip show, so... :p

"We're showing footage from the new season!" Just enough to fill the next episode preview...

So, that Doom Tree arc wasn't really that bad, even if it's "filler" that's not from the manga. It had some funny bits and a nice ending and the same with the start of the Black Moon Clan arc with Rubeus and those sisters.

The Black Moon Clan ending though... I didn't like that one very much, mainly because of Wiseman. That's the kind of villain I dislike in a bad way. He got that teleportation that enables him to appear whenever it's most beneficial to him, and the way he pulled himself together when he got beaten is just so frustrating. Sure, there's been lots of other teleporting characters, but somehow they're less annoying. And there's also the evil
Black Lady Chibi-Usa
which is a bit meh. Don't really care since it's
Chibi-Usa

Other than that there were some really funny episodes like the Minako nurse episode.

Overall, there's more good parts than bad, so 3.5/5 planetary symbols in total:
CqZKRQ2.png
1THoPDu.png
Lm1qsQm.png
j58qnXL.png
s1XTkk5.png

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yona of the Dawn 11:

What a show. I just love watching these character so much. Yona hits on the key factor of being able to mock all of the characters and have funny moments with them, but then turn around and have some very serious, heartfelt moments with the same characters. It's not an easy task to accomplish.

The development of Yona herself has also been really great. She's becoming a much stronger character, both in how she deals with other people, as well as in her physical strength. I'm excited to see where she goes next. Gija has also been a very fun addition to the cast, and his interactions with Hak (who is increasingly more and more tsundere) are constantly amusing (and even there they can turn serious, as we saw with the two of them at the end of the episode).

Should I watch this Kuwabara?

Japan... my eyesight ain't that good.

f01.jpg

SEASON 2 IS HAPPENING SO I'M EXCITE! I LOVED THIS SHOW!

Im not sure what show you refer too. Any other things you remember about it?

It involved this middle school girl that was an idol or an actress or something like that and tried to take control of an unruly class and another kid is there in which she probably falls for him. You look like you know some good animes, any you can recommend thats like Cardcaptor Sakura?

Yandereface is best face.

Chill... I don't wanna die lol

Cornbread78

Gurren Lagann: Episodes 1-16:

OK, thanks again GAF for this one. First 16 have been really good so far, a lot mroe action than Log Horizon and an interestign twist at the end of of the first half. I'm really lookign forward to digging into the second half of the season now.

Please tell me Nia and Simon hook up at some point

Ok seriously, fuck episode 17, really Nia, tealy..

phaze

I was satisfied at the end of the first season. I watched S1 on its own and really enjoyed it.

Thanks, that's reassuring.

GTO 25

A new arrival in the school, hot nurse uses her assets to build a following among the male and female students and to c̶r̶e̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶t̶a̶n̶i̶c̶ ̶c̶u̶l̶t̶ rob them blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom