• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

A lot of the time difference comes from both the slower pacing of the 99 version (due to it starting pretty close to the manga's debut 1.5 years) and the filler content added to the 99 version as well. The only thing the 2011 removed was most of the first chapter (aka first encounter with Kite) and moved it after the GI arc.

That's technically correct, although I'd argue that the "filler" enhances and strengths the story.
The crowd-funding campaign for Mr. Katabuchi's To All Corners Of The World has already met its (modest) goal! They were surely underestimating what they could accomplish. And I still hope this gives more confidence to Mr. Maruyama & Co., to embark on possible future projects with 'unconventional' funding like this...
Good.

Fate/Zero - 05

Archer's attitude is hilarious. Rider is pretty much bro confirmed. Berserker wasn't looking quite like I expected, I think I prefer the beef giant design in Stay. That's not to say he still looks dope with the smoke effects.
I quite enjoyed the lengthy duel in the previous episode, and the.. assault in this one.

Z3HMAQ9.gif

Jex

This is fairly complicated issue that would ideally be suited for the main thread, but still:
I haven't seen Person of Interest, but flashback heavy storytelling is difficult to pull off, it's a risk that one shouldn't take unless you know what you are doing. And Ikuhara has failed to do it effectively in both Yurikuma and Penguimdrum. The structure of both of those shows has been heavily flawed.
The flashbacks in Yuri Kuma are a serious detriment for me. Unless well done I really dislike this kind of storytelling where they constantly reveal major background information via flashbacks. The current timeline of Yuri Kuma makes next to no sense and basically requires me to take a good guess or simply wait for another revelation to breathe some understanding into me. It's even worse here because we're constantly teased with more to come. They're similar to pointless twists. It's not like these revelations change my point of view in an interesting way and feel like puzzle pieces click into place. No, instead s.th. that didn't work before makes a bit more sense for the first time.

There's also this point where I wonder: "wouldn't I enjoy this story more if it were told more linearly?" Because the vast majority of 'twists' in this story aren't any good, there's no actual benefit from the constant flashbacks. It's a very cheap "stay tuned for possibly GROUNDBREAKING REVELATIONS in the next episode!" A promise that's never really delivered.

Meanwhile, if we had a more linear story I wouldn't be needlessly confused the first 6 episodes or so. That may still not help the rather unimpressive story itself, but at least the storytelling wouldn't grind my gears as much.
So, before I defend Yurikuma and it's use of the flashback storytelling technique I'm going to admit some obvious truths, namely that the show suffers from a clear pacing problem. There's too many characters, plots and ideas for a show that's only 12 episodes long. I can only speculate that at some point the script was at least 24 episodes long and it really shows. The first few episodes are a mess, none of the side characters are developed in any fashion, Kureha's original relationship with Sumika was never given any time to breath etc etc.

Leaving that all to one side as problems that I know about and accept, I feel like the flashbacks don't detract from the overall story in the slightest. Instead, they feel as inherent in the structure of the series as they were in Utena and Penguindrum. To demonstrate this, lets look at what purpose the flashbacks serve.

Firstly, they serve to tell many individual stories about different characters who come from different backgrounds. Kureha, Lulu, Ginko and Yurika all have extremely different pasts which have informed their lives and the actions they take. It would incredibly unwieldy to have all their narratives develop linearly at the same time and as we need to know that information to understand the characters I'd prefer we witness a flashback as opposed to have the characters expose their lifestories through conversation.

Secondly, the revelations are a cause of dramatic excitement and tension. Whether or not they work for you, as a viewer, is clearly up for debate. I enjoy how they've been delivered, for the most part.
Thirdly, the world of the school and surrounding area that the characters inhabit is a space where characters get explored through trials. Like the school in Utena, it doesn't have the characteristics of a real place. Instead, it's a place where people are put to the test, where we see how people react to the situations that they're faced with. To that end, most of the characters became who they were prior to the start of the series and for us to learn why they react to the trials we they face a flashback is a useful tool to allow us to understand a persons background.

Fourthly, when used correctly flashbacks enhance and illuminate the stories themes. The flashback to Kureha's mother in this week's episode directly mirrored the actions Kureha herself undertook.

Now, even after saying all that, I would agree that certain flashbacks don't really work. For example, much of Kureha and Sumika's relationship is expanded on via flashbacks and that really doesn't work. It's too bitty and spread out to effectively convey one of the most important character bonds in the entire series. Moreover, I really dislike the notion of developing a character only after they've been killed because it's too late for the audience to care.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Golden Boy is the only legitimately great harem

I still watch IS though because Charl and I'm a horrible person.

Golden Boy is a work of art. It isn't necessarily a harem since all the women aren't flocking around him at the same time until the last episode.

The heroine is surrounded by pretty dudes, but the focus is much more on personal growth, adventure, and the nation's politicking than on (reverse) harem romance. It's akin to The Twelve Kingdoms or Fire Emblem.

I'll give it a shot.

javac

New US Blu-ray Box-art - Funimation Edition

2nd June 2015
Fairy Tail - Collection 4 [Funimation]
Release Date: 2nd June 2015
Format [Region]: Blu-ray/DVD [A|B|1|2|4]
Language: English & Japanese
Price:$41.24
PqVqydK.jpg

Technical Specs:
  • Subtitles: English
  • Episodes: 73-96
  • Disc count: 1
Special Content:
  • Episode 74 Commentary
  • Episode 79 Commentary
  • Episode 89 Commentary
  • Episode 96 Commentary
  • Textless Opening Songs: Evidence, The Rock City Boy
  • Textless Closing Songs: Hitori Samishiku, Don't think. Feel!!!
  • U.S. Trailer
  • Trailers

Nobunagun - Complete Series: Standard/Limited Edition [Funimation]
Format [Region]: Blu-ray/DVD [A|1]
Price:$48.74
Price:$52.49
Vsm91BE.jpg

imptqLV.jpg

Technical Specs:
  • Episodes: 01-13
  • Disc count: 4 (2 BD, 2 DVD)
Special Content:
  • Episode 1 Commentary
  • Episode 13 Commentary
  • Textless Opening Song ''Respect for the dead man''
  • Textless Closing Song ''Chiisana Hoshi ver. ?''
  • Textless Closing Song ''Chiisana Hoshi ver. ?''
  • U.S. Trailer
  • Trailers

Wanna Be the Strongest in the World - Complete Series: Standard/Limited Edition [Funimation]
Limited Edition:$52.49
Kd9R4b9.jpg

ztxR8bk.jpg

Technical Specs:
  • Episodes: 01-12
Special Content:
  • Episode 1 Commentary
  • Episode 7 Commentary
  • OVAs Volumes 1-6
  • Textless Opening Song ''Beautiful Dreamer''
  • Textless Closing Song ''Fan Fanfare!!!''
  • U.S. Trailer
  • Trailers

9th June 2015
The Sacred Blacksmith - Complete Series: S.A.V.E. [Funimation]
Release Date: 9th June 2015
Format [Region]: DVD [1|2|4]
Price:$22.49
mLRSqwh.jpg

Technical Specs:
  • Disc count: 2
Special Content:
  • Episode Previews
  • Textless Songs
  • Trailers

OniAi - Complete Series: S.A.V.E. [Funimation]
Format [Region]: Blu-ray [A|B]
Language: Japanese
Price:$18.74
DgBCbgj.jpg

Technical Specs:
  • Disc count: 2
Special Content:
  • New Anime Features
  • Rice, Chestnut Shelling, Reading Aloud, Ocean Roar, Socks, Freshly Undressed
  • Textless Songs
  • Trailers

CLAMP Double Feature: Tsubasa and xxxHOLiC Movies - Films: S.A.V.E. [Funimation]
Format [Region]: TBC
Price:$7.49
I8Jwee9.jpg

Technical Specs:
  • Episodes: 2 Films
Special Content:
  • 2005 Premiere in Ikebukuro
  • 2005 Movie Event in Shibuya
  • Recording Session Montage
  • Japanese Staff and Cast Commentary
  • Additional Movie Event Coverage
  • Production Artwork
  • Background Slides
  • Origin of Birdcage Kingdom
  • Opening Day at Shinjuku Cinema Milano
  • Recording Session Montage
  • Japanese Staff and Cast Commentary
  • Character Design Slides
  • Background Plates
  • Original Trailers
  • Trailers

16th June 2015
Tokyo Ravens - Part 2 [Funimation]
Release Date: 16th June 2015
Format [Region]: Blu-ray/DVD [A|1|4]
7vaJDP7.jpg

Technical Specs:
  • Episodes: 13-24
Special Content:
  • Ep 14 Commentary
  • Ep 18 Video Commentary
  • Kon Explains it All! #3
  • Ep 23 Commentary
  • Textless Openings and Closings
  • Trailers

Is This A Zombie? of the Dead - Complete Series: Anime Classics [Funimation]
Release Date: 16th June 2015
Price:$37.49
snEXnyx.jpg

Technical Specs:
Special Content:
  • Episode 04 Commentary
  • Character Actors in Action: Episode 01 Video Commentary
  • Episode 10 Commentary
  • Textless Opening Song: *** Passionato
  • Textless Closing Song:Koi no Beginner nan desu
  • U.S. Trailer
  • Trailers

23rd June 2015
Ping Pong: The Animation - Complete Series [Funimation]
Release Date: 23rd June 2015
Format [Region]: Blu-ray/DVD [A|B|1|2|4]
Price:$44.99
ZZ7xTpe.jpg

Technical Specs:
  • Episodes: 01-11
Special Content:
  • TBD

Origin: Spirits of the Past - Film: S.A.V.E. [Funimation]
Release Date: 23rd June 2015
Format [Region]: Blu-ray [A] & DVD [1]
Price:$14.99
DVD:$11.24
rdXoKdU.jpg

OtObZgS.jpg

Technical Specs:
  • Episodes: Film
  • Disc count: 1 (BD) & 2 (DVD)
Special Content:
  • The Making of Agito
  • Theater Previews
  • TV Spots
  • Screening Event Special Preview
  • Textless Songs
  • Trailers

30th June 2015
.hack//G.U.Trilogy - Film [Funimation]
Release Date: 30th June 2015
Format [Region]: DVD [1]
Language: Japanese
Price:$22.49
D8nsryW.jpg

Technical Specs:
Special Content:
  • Parody Mode
  • Promotional videos
  • Special TV Program: Making of the Theatrical Feature
  • Image Board Gallery
  • Trailers

BlazBlue: Alter Memory - Complete Series [Funimation]
N6wE9g8.jpg

Technical Specs:
Special Content:
  • Textless Opening Song ''Blue Blaze''
  • Textless Opening Song ''Blue Blaze'' Ver. 2
  • Textless Closing Song ''Reincarnation Blue''
  • U.S. Trailer
  • Trailers

Soul Eater - Complete Series: Premium Edition [Funimation]
Format [Region]: Blu-ray [A]
Price:$97.49
njKbDTW.jpg

Technical Specs:
  • Episodes: 01-51
  • Disc count: 6
Special Content:
  • Featuring a 64-page yearbook-style art book and the complete series on Blu-ray
  • Episode 7 Commentary
  • Soul Eater Late Show Episodes 1-51
  • Textless Opening Song ''Resonance''
  • Textless Closing Songs: ''I Wanna Be'', ''Style'', ''Bakusou Yumeuta'', and ''Strength'' Trailers

Soul Eater NOT! - Complete Series: Standard/Limited Edition [Funimation]
Format [Region]: Blu-ray/DVD [A|B|1|4]
Limited Edition:$52.49
jRXPaHS.jpg

FbBtIxH.jpg

Technical Specs:
Special Content:
  • Episode 5 Commentary
  • Episode 9 Commentary
  • Soul Eater Whoops!
  • Commercial Collection
  • Textless Opening Song ''monochrome''
  • Textless Closing Song ''Yugure Happy Go''
  • U.S. Trailer
  • Trailers

Mr.Jeff

The original Gunslinger Girl was made at Madhouse, and looks like a typical, high-quality Madhouse production, with well-considered direction and good animation.

Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino was made by Artland, and even as early as the first episode, often it's idea of animation is shaking the camera wildly at static images.
It's not even solely limited to the animation though.
Whereas in the first series you full experience how utterly messed up these children's lives are now they're part of the agency and how they have basically no semblance of normalcy, the first episode of season 2 alone handles the tone in such a way that it feels like "charmingly clumsy kids solve wacky terrorist hijinks with their adult friends!".

Just bad, bad, bad.

Jex

The most important part about selling Origin Spirits of the Past is choosing cover art that vaguely suggests it could be a movie by Ghibli and then placing it nearly the Ghibli section on DVD store shelves. It works a treat in the UK.

javac

The most important part about selling Origin Spirits of the Past is choosing cover art that vaguely suggests it could be a movie by Ghibli and then placing it nearly the Ghibli section on DVD store shelves. It works a treat in the UK.

Indeed it does :p

Top 10 sales for the whole of 2012 in the UK:
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
#|	TITLE |		 UNITS|		DISTRIBUTOR|
1|	 ARRIETTY |				>40,000 |	CANAL UK
2|	 ORIGIN – SPIRITS OF THE PAST	|	>25,000 |	MANGA UK
3|	 THE GIRL WHO LEAPT |			>15,000 |	MANGA UK
4|	 MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO  |		        >10,000 |	CANAL UK
5|	 SPIRITED AWAY |			>10,000 |	CANAL UK
6|	 HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE  |		>10,000 |	CANAL UK
7|	 PONYO	 |				>5,000 |	CANAL UK
8|	 DEVIL MAY CRY	 |			>5,000 |	MANGA UK
9|	 GHOST IN THE SHELL 2.0 |		>5,000 |	MANGA UK
10|	 AKIRA |				>5,000 |	MANGA UK

Sales for January 2013:
Code:
#|	TITLE|
1|	ORIGIN – SPIRITS OF THE PAST
2|	DRAGONBALL Z – COMPLETE SEASON 5
3|	THE GIRL WHO LEAPT THROUGH TIME
4|	MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO
5|	GHOST IN THE SHELL 2.0
6|	ARRIETTY
7|	AKIRA
8|	BLEACH COMPLETE – SERIES 9
9|	HIGH SCHOOL OF THE DEAD
10|	SPIRITED AWAY

Sales for February 2013:
Code:
#|	TITLE|
1|	SPIRITED AWAY
2|	BLEACH THE MOVIE – 4 HELL VERSE	
3|	THE GIRL WHO LEAPT THROUGH TIME
4|	MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO
5|	ARRIETTY
6|	ORIGIN – SPIRITS OF THE PAST
7|	HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE
8|	DRAGONBALL Z – COMPLETE SEASON 5	
9|	NINJA SCROLL
10|	TIGER & BUNNY – VOL 1 – EPISODES 1-7

Jarmel

Banned
This is fairly complicated issue that would ideally be suited for the main thread, but still:

So, before I defend Yurikuma and it's use of the flashback storytelling technique I'm going to admit some obvious truths, namely that the show suffers from a clear pacing problem. There's too many characters, plots and ideas for a show that's only 12 episodes long. I can only speculate that at some point the script was at least 24 episodes long and it really shows. The first few episodes are a mess, none of the side characters are developed in any fashion, Kureha's original relationship with Sumika was never given any time to breath etc etc.

Leaving that all to one side as problems that I know about and accept, I feel like the flashbacks don't detract from the overall story in the slightest. Instead, they feel as inherent in the structure of the series as they were in Utena and Penguindrum. To demonstrate this, lets look at what purpose the flashbacks serve.

Firstly, they serve to tell many individual stories about different characters who come from different backgrounds. Kureha, Lulu, Ginko and Yurika all have extremely different pasts which have informed their lives and the actions they take. It would incredibly unwieldy to have all their narratives develop linearly at the same time and as we need to know that information to understand the characters I'd prefer we witness a flashback as opposed to have the characters expose their lifestories through conversation.

Secondly, the revelations are a cause of dramatic excitement and tension. Whether or not they work for you, as a viewer, is clearly up for debate. I enjoy how they've been delivered, for the most part.
Thirdly, the world of the school and surrounding area that the characters inhabit is a space where characters get explored through trials. Like the school in Utena, it doesn't have the characteristics of a real place. Instead, it's a place where people are put to the test, where we see how people react to the situations that they're faced with. To that end, most of the characters became who they were prior to the start of the series and for us to learn why they react to the trials we they face a flashback is a useful tool to allow us to understand a persons background.

Fourthly, when used correctly flashbacks enhance and illuminate the stories themes. The flashback to Kureha's mother in this week's episode directly mirrored the actions Kureha herself undertook.

Now, even after saying all that, I would agree that certain flashbacks don't really work. For example, much of Kureha and Sumika's relationship is expanded on via flashbacks and that really doesn't work. It's too bitty and spread out to effectively convey one of the most important character bonds in the entire series. Moreover, I really dislike the notion of developing a character only after they've been killed because it's too late for the audience to care.

Part of the problem I would say isn't so much that they're inherently flashbacks in of themselves but rather they didn't need the flashbacks. Why not flesh out Kureha and Sumika's relationship in the first three episodes instead of repeating that trial every time? That way the audience can grow attached to the relationship before Sumika gets the axe. It's overly conculted storytelling with no real benefit to the audience. Ginko stalking the pair leading to her decision to let Sumika be axed could have also been handled been better than that dump in the previous episode with Desire.

Much of the past two episodes has been spent clarifying that absurd cliffhanger instead of actually building to the cliffhanger and watching the fall out. This hurts emotional investment as to what's going on in that if the audience doesn't have full or even half of the picture, why should they care?

javac

After all of that, I thought that I'd post an update relevant to the UK (no, its not Yuru Yuri :p). Here's the latest Anime Limited Newswire Link with an un-boxing of KLK #2 Link and an update for the Mai Mai Miracle Kickstarer Link

More at the link.

Back to some US related news, I guess the Sailor Moon Crystal BluRay has a bunch of errors and shit Link
Loads more at the link above.

7th April 2015
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Movie -Rebellion- [Limited Edition] [AoA]
Release Date: 7th April 2015
Format [Region]: Blu-ray/DVD [A|B|C|1]
Price:$69.98
qDGw9Kx.jpg

Technical Specs:
  • Subtitles: English & Spanish
  • Disc count: 3 (1 BD, 1 DVD, 1 CD)
Special Content:
  • Original Soundtrack CD by Yuki Kajiura
  • Deluxe Booklet
  • Postcard
  • Aniplex 'Proof of Purchase' Card
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Commercials
  • Textless Opening and Ending
  • Collaboration Manner Videos (Monogatari Series x Madoka)

Jarmel

Banned
Also another problem with some of the flashbacks is that both Sumika and Kureha are the most boring people alive in them. The only trait I would attach to Sumika is that she was a nice person. There's just no sort of chemistry there.

Jex

Part of the problem I would say isn't so much that they're inherently flashbacks in of themselves but rather they didn't need the flashbacks. Why not flesh out Kureha and Sumika's relationship in the first three episodes instead of repeating that trial every time? That way the audience can grow attached to the relationship before Sumika gets the axe. It's overly conculted storytelling with no real benefit to the audience. Ginko stalking the pair leading to her decision to let Sumika be axed could have also been handled been better than that dump in the previous episode with Desire.

Much of the past two episodes has been spent clarifying that absurd cliffhanger instead of actually building to the cliffhanger and watching the fall out. This hurts emotional investment as to what's going on in that if the audience doesn't have full or even half of the picture, why should they care?

I mean, I explicitly mentioned Kureha and Sumika's stuff because I agree it was done badly. The problem is there was no room in the script for them to develop their relationship because too much else was going on.

Of course, the biggest problem with those two isn't the way their story is told - it's that they're the blandest characters in the show. Sumika, especially. I dunno what Ikuhara was going for with those characters but they're really too flat.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 47

Shocking twists all around.
Dennis being a part of Academia was pretty shocking. How did we not figure it out even.

I like the Yuugo Yuuri Yuuya thing going on, can all three just never be in the same place at once. Will that cause some sort of rift in the dimensions or something?!

Glad Sora utterly destroyed Kurosaki Shun, thats what he gets for using that over powered deck

Scissor Tiger just as good as Scissor Bear.
CAVM_U-U0AAFWk6.png

Will do after I finish Shirobako. Is OniAi any good? I tried watching the first episode but dropped it after that.
Oniai is pretty to look at.
It's an anime that is based on his cast , and revolve around it .. It's fun and light hearted , but doesn't break any boundary.
Still enjoyable , but far from being a master piece.
PS: quite perverted at times.

Agreed, it's a travesty to sully the artistry of OniAi in such a manner!
It's a travesty on anime dvd case

Is it even a harem then?
It's the right kind of harem. Yona is surronded by boys , but they aren't lusting over her. And while she gather her "final dongeon party" of characters.
Everything that happens , the reasons and plenty of motivations of the characters are justified . It's a nearly perfect character develloppement.

If every harem was as properly devellopped as yona, everyone here would seek more harem anime.

This set is region A, B & C ??
I'm tempted

Jex

Speaking of Ikuhara, I was reading an interview that discusses how Kaworu from Evangelion was based on Ikuhara and specifically how the conversation between Ikuhara and Kaworu at the bathouse was based on a real conversation between Kaworu and Ikuahra:

I have been asked directly by a few people before now if I was the model for Kaworu. Where did that information come from? I was completely uninvolved [in Kaworu's creation] as one of the principals. Kaworu is very good-looking, so if I said I was his model I imagine I would recieve complaints from his fans. However, it's not the case that I have no idea at all [what the speculation might refer to]. During the period when Evangelion was still in its preparatory stages, I was in very close contact with Anno-san. At that time, the staff of Sailor Moon went on a company trip to an onsen, and Anno-san was also among our members. [1] The two of us ended up talking the whole night. Even after everyone else had collapsed we went on and on, drinking sake and talking, sitting side by side in an open air bath and talking.

On Rei Ayanami:

Anno: Everyone understands that it's a fiction, but precisely because it's a fiction you have a pure feeling, you fall for the character to an even greater extent. You assume that an anime character will not betray you. Iku-chan said [to me], "in the last episode, please have Rei Ayanami get married and become pregnant. Just please betray the Ayanami fans. The Rei Ayanami they are thinking of is not real. The real Rei Ayanami gets married, and her belly..."

Anno: He told me something like, "please, make them realize that, If she were real, she would get married, become pregnant, have a child, and grow older." I was thinking, "we don't have to go that far..." (laughs).

What a cool dude.

Quasar

It's the right kind of harem. Yona is surronded by boys , but they aren't lusting over her. And while she gather her "final dongeon party" of characters.
Everything that happens , the reasons and plenty of motivations of the characters are justified . It's a nearly perfect character develloppement.

If every harem was as properly devellopped as yona, everyone here would seek more harem anime.

Given I consider harem a romcom or at least romance subgenre, I just consider it odd and not what I'd seek out at all.

That said I have been meaning to get back to it. I enjoyed the first few episodes, I just lost a little interest when it became wandering around the countryside collecting dudes rather than court politics.

Given I consider harem a romcom or at least romance subgenre, I just consider it odd and not what I'd seek out at all.

That said I have been meaning to get back to it. I enjoyed the first few episodes, I just lost a little interest when it became wandering around the countryside collecting dudes rather than court politics.

Well giving yona some power to have some weight on the fate of the country was necessary.
Don't worry the politics will be back.

Jarmel

Banned
On Rei Ayanami:
What a cool dude.

That notion of purity is one of the worst aspects of anime culture and writing in manga/LN/anime. Women are so heavily used as props to elicit male emotions. I do wonder if Rei and Asuka being knocked up at the end of Eva would have significantly changed waifu/otaku culture. I would love to see how women being portrayed in anime has shifted and to what extent but that's near impossible due to large culture value shifts in addition to subculture changes. Ultimately it's a pointless conjecture though.

Jarmel

Banned
So while doing research for an engineering paper, I came across this really good article that kinda details keyframe usage in terms of computer programming and suggests a lot of elements that people attribute to bad CGI such as weightlessness, is a result of interpolation. I tried finding a full version of the article for free online but if you have access to an academic library, I would give it a read. It's really informative in how CGI is viewed through an animation perspective.

http://anm.sagepub.com/content/8/2/111.abstract?rss=1

Obviously the split systems works better with cartoon studios. The advantage of the method of splitting, or what in Disney animation is referred to as the ‘pose-to-pose’ animation, consists of the fact that the design of timing can be doubled as a guideline for the division of labor. With celluloid animation, the studio system thus came to split the mind (design by animators) and the hand (execution by inbetweeners) of weight distribution and integrated the production into a collective effort: timing of the poses is constantly checked and reworked by a group of animators and their assistants on a drawing-by-drawing basis. In the case of computer animation, inbetweening is automated. The keyframes become the primary human labor anchors and thus their obtrusive existence.

Even though the concept of the weight remains central in Hollywood computer animation, the timing of movement would require the animator to grapple with the program. In computer animation, the design of the weight is primarily achieved by ‘keying’ the poses and by tweaking the interpolation. In other words, the gap between design and execution in traditional pre-digital animation studio seems to be finally bridged by the computer, which promotes each artist to the position of animator. However, computer animators now have a new struggle with interpolated frames. For instance, the Shrek case is symptomatic of the desperate attempt to mimic the weight in traditional animation with computer automation. However, Shrek also demonstrates how the tendency to deform adds to the difficulty for timing management, because animation by sculpting, distorting or deforming makes the expressivity of weight difficult. This is especially true of Metadata by Peter Foldes.

Interestingly, it seems in the case of Disney animation, the more intense the division of labor on the job of animation, the more alienated the process, and the weight is more expressive. The chain of command from supervisor animator to animator and to the clean-up person makes sure the timing is perfect for the weight to shine through. In distinction to this, the computer animator is assisted by the automated inbetweening so that he or she can determine the timing of movement, and is thus more integral to the creative process. Meanwhile, the weight problem becomes the indelible mark left by automation, a carryover of the labor alienation of the inbetweener. I think the conundrum here lies in the fact that, as much as Disney animation has the most expressive weight, it does so with the aim to achieve the most delightful and comprehensible movement possible.

I would also recommend a cursory glance over Rick Parent's textbook on computer animation as it gives a great breakdown of 2D animation.
http://apc.dcti.iscte.pt/Recursos/LivroBase/Computer_Animation-Algorithms_and_Techniques_.pdf

fertygo

Yowamushi Pedal GR - 22

Man, this episode give me so much feel... yowamushi at its best, give me chill when all Sohoku teammate realizing Onoda fighting for top spot, raw emotion right there.

DTL are you satisfied, dem POWER OF FRIENDSHIP WILL OVERCOME ALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom