• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrvv

Sex and Violence with Machspeed

Basically everything that is wrong with eastern and western animation compile in to 5 minute of animation.

and is glorious

Jex

Selected Infector WIXOSS 1

Quote of the episode: "If you eat, the noodles will just make you wet."

Wow, so much exposition. This show seems pretty generic and inoffensive and I don't know what to make of it except for this sneaking suspicion that it's going to turn out to be, like, the card game version of Madoka meets Black Rock Shooter tv or something, or else you people would never have recommended it to me. I am sure that Ru-chan the weirdo loner's beautiful new friendship with ""Tama"" is going to backfire spectacularly soon, and I look forward to the extensive emotional abuse that is inevitably to come. So far my favorite character is Grandma and I really hope that they don't kill her off along the way just to induce emotional trauma in the protagonist. Love that Grandma implies/confirms that this girl is fuckin' delusional for talking to cards and shit.

Grandma wins. GRANDMA ALWAYS WINS.
Wixoss has a pretty slow start and I'm pretty sure some of that content from that first episode is permanently shoved under the rug never to be mentioned again. Still, it starts becoming your classic Okada show after a couple of episodes.

Jex

Let me tell you, I had to force myself to stop taking screencaps about 1/3 of the way through because I already had no idea what was going on and maxing out my symbolism deciphering powers like that certainly wasn't helping.

If I remember correctly there's still quite a few metaphors left to be introduced after episode 1.

Also, as a warning, the first three episodes of the series are extremely rough from a storytelling and cohesion standpoint. It's kind of a mess until episode four where things calm down.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Let me tell you, I had to force myself to stop taking screencaps about 1/3 of the way through because I already had no idea what was going on and maxing out my symbolism deciphering powers like that certainly wasn't helping.
There is no fear of being too subtle in this show anyway. lol

Vito

Banned
Mushishi 18

lUtefOCl.jpg
PA51KZol.jpg
A redemption story of sorts.
A tragic story of letting ones ambitions getting the better of them. When bad news comes from home the only thought is to continue improving one's self rather than help the loved ones left behind.
In a way his robe is an allegory for his life choices. It is the only thing that reminds him of home and paints the most striking visual of home onto it yet he sells it for a small amount to further his career.
He is completely self absorbed and selfish. Once the spark has left his painting does he decide to go home. Only after he loses everything does he start to think of someone other than himself.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yurikuma is like taking Ikuhara pills, crushing them up, and snorting them. Like somebody challenged him that he was getting "too soft" and "too literal" and "not gay enough" so he just doubled the fuck down on everything.

I'm not really sure quite whether I like it yet, but I definitely don't dislike whatever it is. I do wish I had a better idea of who anybody is or why they're doing stuff or even what is going on, but I take comfort in Jex's words and imagine that the show will reveal itself in time.
Well, shit, maybe you're wrong and the show is actually all about the dangers of bear maulings? Did you ever consider that? Bears love honey.
I like it way more than Penguindrum, if nothing else.

Yurikuma's start is definitely rough, but everything past episode 4 has been great - it's probably my favorite new show of the season, but still behind JoJo and Shirobako.

ImoCho 05
Pool ep, her bikini falls off and exposes her thing, good ol' onii-chan to save the day.
AAPjq4Ct.png
4x2O7Pbt.png

what a way to end, on edge of my seat.
ZelC9Zgt.png
btxA7BCt.png

so now even dude can see her.

Thoraxes

Yurikuma is like taking Ikuhara pills, crushing them up, and snorting them. Like somebody challenged him that he was getting "too soft" and "too literal" and "not gay enough" so he just doubled the fuck down on everything.

I'm not really sure quite whether I like it yet, but I definitely don't dislike whatever it is. I do wish I had a better idea of who anybody is or why they're doing stuff or even what is going on, but I take comfort in Jex's words and imagine that the show will reveal itself in time.

Well, shit, maybe you're wrong and the show is actually all about the dangers of bear maulings? Did you ever consider that? Bears love honey.

It's really good. And besides the sheer amount of symbolism, interwoven themes (both visually and plot related), and analysis you could do for the show, there is a ton of depth to the show. I usually re-watched a lot of the episodes a few times each just to get a feel for what was really going on, and I loved it. Even on the rewatchings I find myself really enjoying the show waaaaay more than any other show to come out in the past few years, and I always feel joy whenever I watch and rewatch the episodes. I always find it hard to do with almost any other director/writer, but somehow I am just greatly attracted to his style.

Hell, there are a lot of visual cues from Psycho in some of the later episodes that ended up being really informative to the framing of a lot of the scenes. The classical music used, and when it's used, and which arrangements are used even have thematic ties.

It also does the Ikuhara thing where each episode puts everything before it in a new light when you re-watch it. It's why I like rewatching his stuff, too.

Also, bears are the greatest animals to exist. And I love snorting the Ikuhara pills. Nobody delivers like he does.

Rhapsody

Banned
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso 22

I know people here had problems with this anime, and I do think it had bumps here and there, but I loved the last episode. Beautifully done. ;__;

Mushishi 19

This felt bittersweet. Fuki was never portrayed as lazy or incompetent yet her village treated her as such because she was a bit eccentric. I guess even in modern day society the person who sees something only they can see would be ostracized and treated as a loon. I'm not sure I agree with Seijirou's method to find Fuki's acceptance.
By also speaking to an invisible being not only does he seem as loony as she does, it splits them further apart from the rest of the village. I guess it brings them closer together but at what cost?

I do find it odd that a person known as the village's crazy was allowed to look after another's child.

Mushishi 20

This was a fantastic episode. The air of mystery surrounding the mushishi has been somewhat dispelled yet more questions are created to replace those answered. Ginko appears to be an unorthodox mushishi compared to those within his profession. The way the episode presented how the other mushishi deal with the mushi before introducing Ginko's methods was excellent as it had me questioning "wait, Ginko doesn't do this. Right?" and really contrasts Ginko's technique to the other mushishi.

It was a little odd that something so powerful that creates a disability is only conceived every other generation. However, the ability to control the mushi living within the scribe's leg was a sight to behold and animated beautifully.

Ginko's opening scene was suave as hell. The mechanisms and devices used to hide the mushishi's library really illustrates the secrecy between the mushishi.

Animator Expo - Kanon/Sex and VIolence with Machspeed

I didn't think anything could give me a "This was made on drugs" feeling anymore, until I saw these two shorts

cj_iwakura

Mononoke 1-2
I really wanted to like this show, but apart from the gorgeous visual style and the cool protagonist, I was kind of bored. I didn't care one iota about the whiny woman at the core of the plot, but I'll give the next arc a chance.

Fate/Stay Night UBW (1) End

Fantastic adaptation, so much tighter than the VN. Love the detail, and can't wait to see how they handle the ending. It was an insane plot twist, and it looks like Ufotable'll do it justice.

Kirei was on fire against Caster. Love that they gave him more screentime than the VN.

fertygo

Hmm looking at that director's MAL resume I'm not quite sure if he stands out, be it positively or negatively. Haven't seen Space Dandy though, though that has many different episode directors, right?

The director are known more as animator, not many can be said when this happen, because great animator not automatically qualified to be good director.

Although this made everyone wish he can use his vision and connection to made the show full of sakuga!

The director are known more as animator, not many can be said when this happen, because great animator not automatically qualified to be good director.

Yeh pretty much. We'll just have to see how it turns out.

It's kinda nice to have Madhouse behind this for some good base level of production quality; looking at Parasyte though, I'll just hope this guy is a better director.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom