• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Soul Taker] - 3

I wasn't really expecting crazy action scenes with little girls but that's only because I forgot that this was anime:

ynchoj.gif

phyuyo.gif

Jex

C'Mon man, it's not THAT bad. It's a pretty good story and has been entertining..

No, I'm going to stick by more original comment. There are over two hundred anime shows that I'd recommend over Cross Ange. There's been lots and lots of anime made so really, that isn't much of a feat, Cross Ange is just really bad.

PK Gaming

So I'm reading a lot of dangerous opinions in the thread to do with Cross Ange. I really feel like the record needs to be set straight on this series in the simplest manner:

Do not watch this show. It's an extremely bad series on basically ever level. I could recommend literally two hundred better anime to watch instead.

If you want to watch bad anime, for some reason, then we have a List for that exact reason. Cross Ange is certainly terrible in some really unique and different ways but that doesn't mean that you should be consuming it any manner for any reason what so ever.

Seriously.

I think you're being a tad hyperbolic. Cross Ange is aggressively mediocre, sure, but there are reasons to watch it. Its complete absurdity with a dash of self-awareness is a pretty good for one. Sunrise's attempt (and failure) to capture the magic that made Code Geass... well, Code Geass is also entertaining. Or if you're looking for something funny, Cross Ange delivers at times. Hell, maybe you just like some of the characters. It's thrash, but there's a reason why I keep tuning in to watch it every week, rather than drop it altogether.

In fact, your impressions helped spur me to keep watching.

Cross Ange is bad, but in the same way that junk food is bad. Sometimes, it's the only thing you're in the mood for.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
School Days, to this very day, is probably the only show where "I like it" will get me to discount your opinion on any other anime.
I don't think anyone can deny that School Days is the best harem anime though.

It would be the second best if Cross Days ever got an adaptation however.

Jex

I think you're being a tad hyperbolic. Cross Ange is aggressively mediocre, sure, but there are reasons to watch it. Its complete absurdity with a dash of self-awareness is a pretty good for one. Sunrise's attempt (and failure) to capture the magic that made Code Geass... well, Code Geass is also entertaining. Or if you're looking for something funny, Cross Ange delivers at times. Hell, maybe you just like some of the characters. It's thrash, but there's a reason why I keep tuning in to watch it every week, rather than drop it altogether.

In fact, your impressions helped spur me to keep watching.

Cross Ange is bad, but in the same way that junk food is bad. Sometimes, it's the only thing you're in the mood for.
As I said in that post, Cross Ange is bad in unique and different ways, but for those people literally getting into anime for the first time I honestly don't believe it should even be brought up. At all.

Now, personally, as a collector of weird and terrible shows it certainly holds a unique appeal but, in general, for most human beings, I'd advise to steer extremely clear of the series.

I got home from a long day at work all excited to watch Shirobako, only to discover that it's been delayed. Thanks, Tarou.

Right now I'm watching Yuki Yuna Is A Hero and I just started Saekano. After those I have a lot to decide between. Eureka Seven, Shirokuma Cafe, Hyouka, Steins;Gate, Bakemonogatari, Space Dandy, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Idolmaster, Macross Frontier, and Amagi Brilliant Park. So many to choose from! Haven't been this into watching anime is a long time.

Eureka Seven, Hyouka and Space Dandy are the standouts of that group. You should definitely watch them all.

Skip Amagi Mediocre Park entirely.

See, I do really want to watch this but I'm wondering if I should just play the VN first since I've heard such amazing things about it.

Yeah, play the VN. It's a wonderful experience. I played it last year and it was one of my favorite games of the year.

Jex

[SoulTaker] - 1

This episode is notable for many, many reasons but one that should be apparent to many of you is how it invented the visual language which would later be recycled by SHAFT in Bakemonogatari when depicting Senjoughara:

[SoulTaker] - 1

This episode is notable for many, many reasons but one that should be apparent to many of you is how it invented the visual language which would later be recycled by SHAFT in Bakemonogatari when depicting Senjoughara:

I haven't seen Bakemonogatari but if you told me that bottom left screenshot was from it I would've believed you

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
How about instead of suggesting things that should go on the list you plebosauruses actually watch some of the shows that are already on it like The Laws of Eternity.

cajunator

Banned
[SoulTaker] - 1

This show is most renowned for introducing the world to Komugi and for that I am eternally thankful.

jgminto

Cross Ange 1-13:

Damn, this story just went off the rails totally. Not what I was expecting at all. C'Mon GAF, is this really considered that bad? It's actually pretty entertaining so far. I can defiantely see the complaints with the constant nippless boobs, but outside of that, there is some entertainment here.

OK, I'm now getting angry... This story is just crazy confusing at times....

What is it with all the nudity anyhow? Is the author just a perv or is there more of a theatrical point to it?
ha ha ha HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I guess I lucked out, Yona of the Dawn despite being a show I really liked ended up on the back burner when I became obsessed with Persona 4 Golden and I just haven't gotten around to catching back up with it. Thankfully Funimations simuldub is going to start with season 2 which is only 1 episode from where I left off so I can just repickup the series when the simuldub begins.

Baalzebup

C'Mon man, it's not THAT bad. It's a pretty good story and has been entertining..

My comrade ;_;

Another Cross Ange believer. Good.

I think you're being a tad hyperbolic. Cross Ange is aggressively mediocre, sure, but there are reasons to watch it. Its complete absurdity with a dash of self-awareness is a pretty good for one.. ... It's thrash, but there's a reason why I keep tuning in to watch it every week, rather than drop it altogether.

Mwahahaha! We are Legion.

Though I'll agree with Jexhius about Cross Ange being a show you should never recommend to someone new to anime.

I bet someone will be recommending School Days to him next, as it has been mentioned a few times just recently (Cornbread78, please don't look it up any time soon. It is just plain fucking bad. Especially since you like love stories. You don't *really* need to know the history of the Nice Boat -meme). Hmph... I seem to have a nack of getting the unwanted #lastpostofthepage award.

Hyoukokun

Got a week of vacation ahead of me and I'd like to bring something to watch along for the ride. Got any recommendations? I've seen a lot of stuff, but favorites include Haibane-Renmei, Dennou Coil, and Space Battleship Yamato 2199. Not watching much of the current season outside of Log Horizon.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Those legs.

pls tell me where your avy is from... I must know.

Color me interested.

Me too!

Hey, Sam-Flam was off the List for a while and I was getting desperate!

I liked Samurai Flamenco, the second OP (first version) was awesome! The story got kinda lost and convoluted after episode 12...

How is a cooked mixture of eggs, flour, and milk an expression of love?

Like, what's the symbolism I'm missing here?

You shouldn't have asked that...

Got a week of vacation ahead of me and I'd like to bring something to watch along for the ride. Got any recommendations? I've seen a lot of stuff, but favorites include Haibane-Renmei, Dennou Coil, and Space Battleship Yamato 2199. Not watching much of the current season outside of Log Horizon.

For something good airing right now (ending soon though) watch Shirobako.

For something to burn through over a week try Gundam Build Fighters, Space Dandy and Ping Pong.

cajunator

Banned

Steins Gate and Shin Sekai Yori. You have excellent taste by the way!

sometimes the world doesnt make sense, but that doesnt mean it doesnt make sense.

Blusby

-Gankutsuo
-Futakoi Alternative
-Honey & Clover
-Ping Pong The Animation
-Mouryou no Hako
-Texhnolyze

Baalzebup

Like, even just shooting a few random thoughts toward this produces the following:

Cooking for someone is a geisture by and itself. All Pancakes that I'm familiar with also contain sugar, or are covered with mapple syrup or something similar. So they are sweet, one way or another. Giving sweet things as a gift of affection has been around since... I dunno, around the time humans invented methods of making fire?

Syrup also doubles as a sticky, sweet substance that can be used for all kinds of suggestive images and actions. You can also bring in some other nice stuff like strawberriers and whipped cream..... :)

Now if there is something beyond this, I have no idea, but I'd say that is more than enough.

But why just Pancakes? Couldn't all that apply to many deserts as well? Regular cakes? Cookies? Brownies?

Is it just the fact that Pancakes are eaten as an actual breakfast meal and therefore it's a good choice?

Could be just one of those things. Somebody decided on pancakes being the thing and everyone just agreed and followed after. The breakfast portion does definitely seem like a factor in it. There aren't that many sweet things that are "ok" for breakfast. Somehow pancakes get a free pass.

As I said in that post, Cross Ange is bad in unique and different ways, but for those people literally getting into anime for the first time I honestly don't believe it should even be brought up. At all.

Now, personally, as a collector of weird and terrible shows it certainly holds a unique appeal but, in general, for most human beings, I'd advise to steer extremely clear of the series.

To be fair Cornbread78 entered to this thread after watching Sword Art Online and liking it. There was pretty good chance that he would enjoy Cross Ange too even if he is new to the anime lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom