• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuck

I love Cross Ange.

I mean, I don't actually watch it, but I enjoy coming on GAF after it airs to see all these posts about it. Its fun to watch the reactions.

Defuser

Junketsu no Maria ep 11
Seeing Maria so joyfully in love over Joseph proclaims, shouting everywhere happilly in thanks puts a smile on my face. Man why can't shows do this kind of scenes anymore?

phaze

It's left vague.

Oh shame. Liked her the most in the short time I spent with the series.

Great Teacher Onizuka 34
0021299uush.png
#Idol Problems. Japanese punk'd crew seem to take their jobs awfully seriously.

Yoru no Yatterman 11
They played the original Yatterman opening. 10/10 episode.

Even despite the long exposition, which I suppose might have been necessary, it was a fairly good ep. The denoument to the story of General Goro was predictable but still pretty touching.

/XX/

What was the last original thing Yuasa worked on before Kick-Heart? Kaiba?
Moon Witch Pretty Rabbie?

I'm sorry! :p

I think Noximilien l'Horloger kind of counts, though; it was part of the inexplored lore from a franchise but as I understand it was also a original story conceived for the occasion, not exactly planned previously.

Guilty Crown
Buddy Complex
Code Breaker
Baka & Test
Date A Live
Karneval
Shonen Hollywood
[C] Control
Assassination Classroom

Thanks, heard Baka Test was decent same with Date. Watched the first bit of Ass Class but didn't care for it. Maybe I'll give it amother chance.

Just about all them shows are shit.

What would you recommend then?

Any other recommendations for Funi app?

JCG

Junketsu no Maria ep 11
Seeing Maria so joyfully in love over Joseph proclaims, shouting everywhere happilly in thanks puts a smile on my face. Man why can't shows do this kind of scenes anymore?

Yes, it was a very "feel good" episode. I'm surprised this wasn't the ending. A little corny, but it works with the characters and the tone of the show.

I've always considered Maria the Virgin Witch as something of a throwback to the 1990s in a good way. For better or for worse, I guess anime audience preferences and industry trends have changed too much.

Conan-san

Peeps whine about the TTGL ending (well epilogue ending really) but I felt it was perfectly in line with the series as a whole

i guess it's a little out of place in a 'WE'LL DRILL THROUGH THE HEAVENS TO KICK YOUR ASS' anime but it always made sense to me
This, really.

It's completely out of place and, frankly written because they're Gainax and a last fuck you is required by law.

Ah, so it's technically 13 episodes.

First time a notaminA production has been 13 episodes as well. That's why I speculated earlier that it was an Aniplex production that they offered to Fuji to fill space in this season rather than something Fuji wanted to pursue as well.

Garo 23

Man I swear these warriors cannot catch a fucking break. Each time they are on the verge of success or something joyous the story snatches it away and kicks them in the dick, or vagina, it also kicks them in the fucking teeth for good measure. I'm not quite sure how this last episode is gonna turn out but shit looks as bad as its ever been.

Well if you think of it as the same starting point as Log Horizon, you wouldn't be entirely wrong; jaded high level player becomes stuck in a world with the MMO mechanics and NPCs coming to life but Momonga's motivations are different from Shiroe in that he's not all that bothered about going home. In fact fairly quickly he becomes resolved to staying there.
I'm forced to make a difference between "trapped in another world" and trapped in a MMO
Overlord is the former not the latter.
I think that people expecting something like LH or SAO will be disapointed.
I'd disagree slightly about the powerlevels and pandering. The npcs were characters that were created because of pandering but if you mean that nothing really comes of it with the main character, you'd be right.
That's what i mean. It's not the focus . They were made with preconceptions in mind , but that's not what the show uses to force his story forward.
As for the powerlevels; there is still some of it with relation to magic especially but it largely gets boiled away since Momonga's clearly established at the top of the chain.

Like I mentioned though, Momonga's a very introspective character so I wonder if they'll just have a lot of monologues throughout.
This is a anime where we need to see what the characters are thinking , since it's the basis to explain most of their actions. We also need the various conversations between the people in charge as their try too adapt to the changes they face.
Well every anime has powerlevels , but that's again , not the focus here.
I'm hyped for a Skeleton as a MC.

You should.

Tuck

This, really.

It's completely out of place and, frankly written because they're Gainax and a last fuck you is required by law.

The ending of Gurren Lagann made me feel like I had been kicked in the stomach - it was absolutely burtal. Caught me completely off guard.

Garo 23

Man I swear these warriors cannot catch a fucking break. Each time they are on the verge of success or something joyous the story snatches it away and kicks them in the dick, or vagina, it also kicks them in the fucking teeth for good measure. I'm not quite sure how this last episode is gonna turn out but shit looks as bad as its ever been.

Yup. Second half of the show has really impressed me - some pretty dark things have happened.

One thing that has been bugging me though is why the people in the city weren't freaking out over the giant gun in the sky. Well okay, I guess to them it would be a giant castle. But still.

Jex

[Yatterman Night] - 10

Yeah, I dunno. I feel like this show tried the walk a thin line between it's own unique series while paying homage to the original and it just never quite that mark.

When the series started I felt as if knowledge of the original source material was unnecessary and that the work would stand on it's own and it seemed to be originally heading that direction. However after the last few episodes it's pretty clear that knowledge and understanding of the original work is pretty important for giving you context for this show. I'm glad I checked out the first episode of the original Yatterman on a whim several weeks ago as it really prepared me for the events of this week's episode.

Moreover, I've never been happy with the way this show oscillated between comedy and drama. During the happy go lucky, episodic middle of the series it worked well enough but considering the start and apparently where we are going with the end, I don't think they made the right choice. I would probably have preferred a stricter drama if this was the end point.

I suppose this all comes about from the decision to turn a fairly wacky 70's kids show into a series dystopian drama. Those two elements are inherently at odds with each other and that conflict of differing thematic tone is inescapable.

Narag

Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part I: Beginnings

Well that was Madoka alright. I've been feeling the urge to get to Rebellion finally and figured I ought to take a refresher on the franchise so opted to give the first two movies a watch before checking out the third. I like to think I can appreciate the work beyond the plot nowadays although the early dialogue (how meta), Kyubey, and Homura were certainly viewed in a different light all things considered. Between Jexhius' YYH posts and anitwitter's recent fixation on Shinbo, it felt like I could better understand the small cues used to establish mood and setting as well. Maybe that's why this felt like the rarest of creatures: the successful compilation movie.

Maybe that's why this felt like the rarest of creatures: the successful compilation movie.

It also doesn't hurt that the running time is much closer to the original series. When a 12 episode show is condensed into a pair of two hour movies it flows a lot better compared to a 50 episode show being made into a set of 90 minute movies.

Jex

I speak from a position of total ignorance having not watched any of the Madoka movies, but from the perspective of the adapting a TV show into a compilation movie, it certainly makes more sense to do it with a 11 - 13 episode series than a 26 or 52 episode series.

Edit: God dammit

Maybe that's why this felt like the rarest of creatures: the successful compilation movie.

Madoka is amazing yes, but this reminds me; For someone wanting to start on UC Gundam stuff, are the compilation movies of the 79 series ok to watch on their own instead of the TV version?

I remember it being said that the Zeta movies were bad but I heard different things about the 79 movies.

Theonik

It also doesn't hurt that the running time is much closer to the original series. When a 12 episode show is condensed into a pair of two hour movies it flows a lot better compared to a 50 episode show being made into a set of 90 minute movies.
I don't think you can call it condensed when it has the same runtime as the actual series.

Madoka is amazing yes, but this reminds me; For someone wanting to start on UC Gundam stuff, are the compilation movies of the 79 series ok to watch on their own instead of the series?

I remember it being said that the Zeta movies were bad but I heard different things about the 79 movies.
I was recommended the movies as an alternative to the series, and was told it trimmed out a lot of filler. I can't necessarily say how true it was, but I went into the Zeta series immediately afterwards and felt it was a good starting point for UC.

JCG

Madoka is amazing yes, but this reminds me; For someone wanting to start on UC Gundam stuff, are the compilation movies of the 79 series ok to watch on their own instead of the TV version?

The movies are perfectly fine as an introduction to Gundam. They cover all the essentials of the first TV series in a manner that doesn't demand previous knowledge.

But now I would also recommend reading Gundam The Origin (not necessarily watching, since they're only adapting a certain part of the manga so far) since that's an improvement over both the TV series and the movies in terms of storytelling technique. Admittedly, it does require a lot of shelf space if you wish to collect the physical volumes.

ibyea

Banned
I don't think you can call it condensed when it has the same runtime as the actual series.

Yeah, each episode is around 21 minutes, and there are 12 episodes. 252 minutes for all the episodes. The combined runtime of the first two movies is 240 minutes. So it almost fits.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G Episode 14 (engdub)

Pretty great episode for a new character. I loved the eradicator cards they had on display. Ambush Dragon Eradicator, Linchu, Assault Eradicator, Saikei , Two Sword Eradicator, Koenshaku, and the ultimate one for Takeru, Supreme Conquering Dragon, Conquest Dragon. Narukami clan ftw.

Seven deadly sins - 23

Did what i think happenned , really happen ?
Nanatsu%20no%20Taizai%20-%20The%20Seven%20Deadly%20Sins%20-%2023.jpg

{insert insults and angry rant here}

So the explanations for many mysteries during the show were there , in front of us , the whole time. i can accept that.

But that guy deserve the most intense and impressive beating ever given in a shonen anime after what he just did.

Don't let me down , episode 24 !

Seven deadly sins - 23

Did what i think happenned , really happen ?

So the explanations for many mysteries during the show were there , in front of us , the whole time. i can accept that.

But that guy deserve the most intense and impressive beating ever given in a shonen anime after what he just did.

Don't let me down , episode 24 !

I wan't
Hawk-chan( So goddamn badass!) back now, pronto
. He's the best part of the series.

Thoraxes

i know from an emotional perspective it's contrary to TTGL's usual drive-forward solve-everything-with-overwhelming-force nature but that's kind of the point of spiral nemesis in the first place I suppose. Peeps never seem to get that. I haven't watched movie 2 though so maybe they do a total runback on it and I have no idea really

I liked it because he still got to
say goodbye, and have their wedding. He didn't let it get him down even though it was a major bummer. He accepted fate, and was strong enough to move on. He never wanted to be a major figurehead, he just wanted to do the thing he did best; help people and drill, just like he did with his bro.

I never thought it was a kick in the balls because it showed how much Simon matured over the series that he could be strong enough to deal with that situation. It's his story.
He learned from Kamina's death that he has to move on and be strong for the people that love him, and I found that really touching that they were able to accomplish that and show how strong his character had become, emotionally. Even when he refuses to use spiral power to bring all the dead back to life, it's a major indicator of character that he knows why it shouldn't be done, and how he acknowledges that death is as much a part of humanity as life is.
He finished the series happy and at peace with himself, and had grown into a strong man.

I never understood while people were offended when the series never had any cop-out to remedy that ending situation. He accepted it and moved on. It happened, and there was nothing that could have changed that without
leading humanity down the path of destruction all over again.

Hell, in one of my interview books they mention that
they toyed around with a lot of the anti-spiral sleeper agent ideas.

Finished my rewatch of The Big O. Haven't watched it since the second season aired 12 years ago.

The ending and story definitely made more sense than it did the first time.

The allusions to Lucifer, "Big Venus" and the morning star, a fallen angel, and the control room at floor B666 were great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom