• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Due to production issues, Shirobako episode 24 is expected to be delayed. We thank you for your patience and understanding.

God damn it all to hell :(

tumblr_lor3tm6VEq1qi7deco4_500.gif

Parasyte 24 END

Yeah. Ok. It's over. Kind of didn't even give a shit about it being the last episode since I had problems with the manga ending but whatever. It was a good adaptation I guess.

Would you perhaps be implying that AnimeGAF is a hivemind ?

tumblr_mmcdo31drb1qdcdaul3.gif

Masterfully well executed show about cray, cray, seriously crazy people. But it's a bit of a Berserk like situation, where (judging by the last episode) anime is sort of a prologue and the rest of the story must be sought in the manga.

A better show than anime fans deserve.

I personally think it's good. I still have around 5 or 6 episodes to go, which I will finish during spring break.

Will watch. Thanks. I don't know if its due to the animation style but I remember watching a but and it reminds me of a drama but in anime form.....if that makes sense.

Not as good as Kill la Kill.

I want to forget about KLK as soon as possible.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Due to production issues, Shirobako episode 24 is expected to be delayed. We thank you for your patience and understanding.

TAROOOOOOOOOOO!

Yuri Kuma Arashi 11

High school bully are scary.
Love is sexy, cool, and beautiful.
Lulu is a good bear.

phaze

Let's be fair, Nozaki-kun doesn't even really attempt to have a "plot" or do any development of romance. It's more a straight-up comedy/shoujo parody.

I mean sure but the plot hook of Sakura's feelings for Nozaki is there and the show isn't above using it in a Nise like bait and switch.

And after so many chapters, one should get used to just what Nisekoi is and isn't. :p

Strike Witches 10-11
Glorious Jouji Nakata voice and more than 5 lines of dialogue.
wsol778swuoq.gif

Also, a shocking development - Witch with a skirt. Too bad she took off after one episode.

On the other hand, in a development that shocked no one, Yamato jobs and is up to the Witches to finish the fight, probably with a E̶x̶c̶a̶l̶i̶b̶u̶r̶ Shin Reppuzan if my precognitive abilities are to be trusted.

Theonik

Strike Witches 10-11

Glorious Jouji Nakata voice and more than 5 lines of dialogue.
wsol778swuoq.gif

Also, a shocking development a Witch with a skirt. Too bad she took off after one episode.

On the other hand, in a development that shocked no one, Yamato jobs and is up to the Witches to finish the fight, rpobably with a E̶x̶c̶a̶l̶i̶b̶u̶r̶ Shin Reppuzan if my precognitive abilities are to be trusted.
There are also witches with pants!
efsrhv.jpg

Here my last 7 Parasyte Episode Impressions, respectively written during and/or after each episode: (Obligatory Spoiler Warning)

Parasyte 18

Interesting engagement from the police. Gunfire sounded like absolute crap though and for how many officers there were the low frequency of shots and other factors made this feel rather awkward.

Ryouko, who thought a lot about the meaning of her life or the ones of parasytes and humans in general chooses to relinquish her life, handing over the baby to Shinichi. All that apparently helps him to overcome some of his anguish concerning his mother and Kana as well as showing more emotions again.

Tarou ('s voice actor) makes a guest appearance in Parasyte! And he promptly rubs one off :| He can also sniff out parasites it seems.

So this episode provides us with the end of Ryouko, one of the better characters in this show. After plenty introspection, which is a rather human thing to do, she didn't seem too interested in continuing her life, perhaps in large parts because she saw herself unable to escape Gotou, who's some kind of experiment of hers and "fragile' yet 'invincible'. Curious what exactly that's about. I can't say the conclusion to Ryouko is entirely comprehensive but I can live with it.

Satomi's reaction to the situation should've been much more bewilderment though, instead of shedding some tears and asking him whether he's back to his usual self. Like what the fuck girl, there's a corpse riddled with holes next to him and he's holding a crying baby; yet that's what your mind comes up with first?

Parasyte 19

Instead of doing a physical examination of Shinichi, which would reveal his scar and raise a lot of questions, the police used Tarou's psychic powers (which are really common in this anime) to evaluate Shinichi. Why? For plot reasons, otherwise there's no logical explanation as to why you wouldn't examine him properly. It's not even like Shinichi could argue against that, giving his involvement with Ryouko. So that's kinda dumb.

Now there's an anti-parasite task-force that intends to terminate the parasites. Am kinda surprised such a task-force is assembled only now but okay. Oh and this task-force has a camera or scanner that's capable of identifying parasites...

Satomi is together with Shinichi again and you know what, all this is stupidly dealt with and makes little sense. Satomi feels less like a real character than she did in the first couple episodes. Congratulations writers.

Also yuck at the CGI crowds. They hardly even move, so what's the point ._.

Parasyte 20

Thoroughly incompetent authorities, one of my least favorite tropes :/
Looks like they forgot about the hairpulling technique too, though that's admittedly not the most reliable way.

Gotou proves that he really does wreck face and can withstanding shotgun rounds easily. We'll probably learn how he does that later on.

Parasyte 21

So the guy running for major, Hirokawa, was actually a human and before getting killed he calls human the real parasites and proclaims that they need a culling, as they're polluting the earth, only caring for their own existence. It sounds a bit as if the Parasytes are basically there for this purpose, perhaps even some kind of human--made, bio-engineered live form? Or maybe the guy just thought the Parasytes fit that role in his kind of view on humanity and earth. There may be more revelations.

Shinichi finally gets some attention again this episode and this is were it gets more interesting for me too. Migi's reaction to the possibly 'loss' of the parasites is interesting. His priority is probably still simply staying alive, which means avoiding Gouto as well as the human authorities.

Most parasites appear to have died in the task-forces operation though it's unclear how many are still around, especially world wide? I'm not quite clear if they're trying to convey that other than Shinichi, Mamoru and Gotou there's none of them left. BTW. if I'm not mistaken it was never pointed out where they got the information about these parasites' location. Oh well...

Gotou spares Shinichi for now because he's tired (feels like a weak argument honestly) and he's allowed to go home, without further investigation/examination of his. The next morning Shinichi gets paranoid about Gotou possibly attacking him when MIgi's asleep. That was a nice sequence. The episode ends with Satomi inviting him for some sexy time and it just doesn't really work well. Satomi is too shallow of a character and the relation between the two too nonsensical at this point. Also, no remark on the fucking massive scar on his chest and back? Okay...

Parasyte 22

The encounter between Shinichi and Gotou occurs and despite coming up with a strategy Shinichi and Migi fail to decapitate Gotou properly and Migi (who separated himself from Shinichi's Torso) tells Shinichi to run for it. We get to hear Migi's 'last' thoughts which give the impression that he actually did gain some humanity. While a bit cliche at first sigh I do wonder if even this parasite organism wouldn't eventually develop in that way. After all, better understanding is part of a path that leads to empathy. On the other hand I really liked how logical Migi remained and the driving force was the will to survive/live. I'll have to do some more thinking on all that but it's too late for that right now.

Either way not only does it appear as if the Migi bits still remaining within Shinichi may be capable of forming a conscience, but the way it was shot I'm pretty sure that Gotou would absord Migi or whatever exactly is going to happen. It's just pretty unlikely that was the last of him (or it rather).

This old granny character seems entirely unnecessary though. Can't you work with the side characters that are already there, like Satomi? Why do we introduce a new, completely generic 'sensei'-type character to offer some wisdom and hospitality. Would've been much more interesting to see Satomi's thoughts on the events. Though going by her reaction to Shinichi's gigantic scars...she'd hardly even notice his missing arm.

There was also some foreshadowing about something weird going on at the place Shinichi's currently at. The whole dumping of garbage and weird events... I'm sure that'll play a role.

I'll watch the remaining 2 episodes tomorrow.

Parasyte 23

Shinichi engages Gotou and though it appears hopeless at first Shinichi manages to drive some metal stick from the trash heap deep into Gotou's body which, due to the toxins on it, renders Gotou unstable. The parasites within him become restless and to little surprise, Migi who really has been absorbed returns to Shinichi. Due to his instability and Migi's expert cutting Gotou explodes into a thousand pieces. After some smalltalk Migi and Shinichi return to his corpse as the pieces are about to reassemble themselves. Migi does not want to land another finishing blow as it would now constitute to murder in his mind and tells Shinichi to do so in his stead. Then Shinichi has his own doubts and the two philosophize about life, earth and its inhabitants. Shinichi ultimately does decide to finish off Gotou after all and god damn, that was the only correct choice. Letting Gotou live would've been just about the stupidest decision of all humanity.

Parasyte 24

After everything that's happened the parasites still alive are living a much more low profile life, no longer munching on humans much.

Migi decides to kind of withdraw from Shinichi in order to do some research or explore the world (or whatever kind of alternative world he really sees). While he doesn't really leave Shinichi he has no longer an outer active shell and returns the right arm to Shinichi. He tells him all that within one of those dream sequences we had before and I gotta say, it was really nice actually.

What follows is another date of Shinichi and Satomi, the latter helping him study as he failed his college entry exams. We get some more introspection from Shinichi and at this point the show could've concluded in an acceptable manner.

Instead we the Tarou-Killer to force some unnecessary drama that brings forth some more terrible dialog of Satomi, who primarily talks about Shinich being or not being Shinichi to begin with. Migi does help out again by grabbing Satomi who'd otherwise fall to death, so it's clear he's still capable of aiding in some form. The show ends with Shinich and Satomi feeling relieved...while there's also another poor murdered couple on the roof next to them.

What a fucking unnecessary second half. I also cannot believe how Satomi didn't actually really get to know about Migi in the entire show (even this last section doesn't make it entirely clear). They could've gone and use her character for something interesting that way but instead she was a cheap human-o-meter for Shinichi. Blergh.

Overall Thoughts

The core story was really interesting to me, though it got weaker towards the end, and along with the relatively fast pacing meant that I was hardly ever bored. Exploring Shinichi's and Migi's relationship was actually done relatively well and Ryouko's development was fun to follow too.

Everything else though...oh boy.

1. Subpar direction all around. Apart from maybe the first 1-2 episodes and another few exceptions, the scenes never managed to convey the tension and emotions well.
  2. Sound direction was poor, too. The OST is underutilized thanks to the bad editing thereof and the sound effects for Migi's transforming were terrible.
  3. The writing for most side characters is terrible. Satomi is a complete waste of a character. It's incredible how there's just about nothing to her despite the rather large screentime. There's also plenty illogical / unbelievable behavior, for instance when don't react accordingly to spotting a parasite.
  4. The writing for most side characters is terrible. Satomi is a complete waste of a character. It's incredible how there's just about nothing to her despite the rather large screentime. There's also plenty illogical / unbelievable behavior, for instance when don't react accordingly to spotting a parasite.

I'm certainly massively disappointed considering my expectations after the first couple episodes. It'll get a 6/10 from me.

/XX/

Super predictable when the preview from last episode was a still image. The second coming of Jiggly Jiggly Heaven.
Last two times it was on Crunchy's end, it aired in Japan fine.
But couldn't that be due to late delivery in Japan?
Not sure. Probably something like that if it's happened twice before.
Apparently, last episode has been a rushed production just met barely in time for the scheduled airing on Japanese TV stations (but reason enough for the delay at Crunchyroll), judging by recent 'tweets' from series' producer (at infinite) Takayuki Nagatani and director Mr. Mizushima:

【悲報】アニメ『SHIROBAKO』最終回は納品ギリギリすぎて作画が少し崩れてしまった模様!「すみません。必ず直します」 : オレ的ゲーム速報@刃
http://jin115.com/archives/52073149.html

Saying both of them things like "chicken run now" or "I'll fix [this episode] without fail" respectively doesn't make it sound promising... :-/

As some were mentioning the terrible MAL rankings... Parasyte on Rank 28.

Oh wait, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso on rank 13? LOLOLOL.

Clannad Afterstory 6.....

Oh boy, I should never look at this monstrosity again.

As some were mentioning the terrible MAL rankings... Parasyte on Rank 28.

Oh wait, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso on rank 13? LOLOLOL.

Clannad Afterstory 6.....

Oh boy, I should never look at this monstrosity again.

Their recommendations are the best. Hey, you liked Legend of the Galactic Heroes? Try watching Mahouka. Apparently Reinhard is just like onii-sama.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think I need another episode of Parasyte. I don't think they quite hammered in the lesson one was meant to learn.

Honestly, with it ending I feel I should say something about it but I honestly feel no motivation to. It was kind of drab. I suppose it was entertaining enough on a weekly basis to watch but I honestly wouldn't recommend it.

Not sure. Probably something like that if it's happened twice before.

Yeah, it's probably due to late delivery. As long as they can get it done in time for the airing it can air in Japan fine, but late delivery means that Crunchyroll can't get the translation, timing, etc done in time for the typical simulcast time.

dan2026

It still blows my mind how anime series are still being made when the series starts airing.

Its nuts when you think about it. It seems like bad practice for all involved.

It still blows my mind how anime series are still being made when the series starts airing.

Its nuts when you think about it. It seems like bad practice for all involved.

I agree. These things should be planned out, finished, and then shown on the air.

If that can't be done, then they should at least stick with whatever plan they have for the show and make no changes just to please the fans.

It's stuff like that that ruined Gundam 00 and made Kill la Kill more of a letdown.

javac

Random updates:
May 5th 2015
Astro Boy - The Complete Series
Run Time: 1011 min
Format: DVD
Price: [DVD $14.98]
ox2d0QRm.png

Upcoming Funimation Box-arts

Japanese Blu-ray + DVD Kantai Collection -KanColle- v2:

Upcoming dates:
04/14/15
The Pet Girl of Sakurasou: Complete Collection
Run Time: 600 min
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Format: BD, DVD
Price: [Blu-ray $89.98] [DVD $69.98]
yNKTRb0.jpg

04/14/15
DD Fist of the North Star Complete Collection
Run Time: 325 min
Audio: Japanese Language with English Subtitles
Price: [Blu-ray $59.98] [DVD $49.98]
OXaZSTe.jpg

04/21/15
Devil Survivor 2 - The Animation: Complete Collection
Format: BD
Price: [Blu-ray $69.98]
M5bhwwW.jpg

04/28/15
Hayate the Combat Butler Season 3
Run Time: 300 Mins
iJDxgCR.jpg

04/28/15
Nobunaga the Fool: Collection 1
Run Time: 325 Mins
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0/Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Price: [Blu-ray $69.98] [DVD $59.98]
qXjGChh.jpg

05/05/15
The World God Only Knows: OVA Collection
Run Time: 100 min
Price: [Blu-ray $39.98] [DVD $29.98]
2MNhJwY.jpg

05/12/15
Familiar of Zero Season 3
Audio: Japanese Language with English Subtitles
BpbBb0m.jpg

05/12/15
Muv-Luv Alternative Collection 2
Price: [Blu-ray $69.98] [DVD $59.98]
nrRe3FQ.jpg

06/02/15
Ranma 1/2 Set 06
Run Time:
Price: [Blu-ray $54.97] [DVD $44.99]
BkGBKnd.jpg

WKsirjH.jpg

06/23/15
Robot Carnival Complete Collection
Run Time:
Price: [DVD $29.99]
cU2zzef.jpg

06/23/15
Night on the Galactic Railroad
Run Time:
VQVNqRh.jpg

06/23/15
Night Warriors (Darkstalkers) Complete OVA
Run Time:
4YRFmHm.jpg

06/23/15
Galilei Donna Complete Series
Run Time:
Audio: Japanese language, English subtitles
Price: [DVD $39.99]
zrbsEYD.jpg

06/30/15
Turn A Gundam Part 1
Run Time: 625 Mins
Price: [DVD $49.99]
Mrb5xBI.jpg
Let me know if anything needs fixing.

Jintor

Gurren Lagann Movie 2

It's gorgeous and it's all my favourite scenes and it's got some new stuff (some really hype new stuff I didn't know about at all!) but a cour of TTGL does not survive being crammed into two hours and smacking every surprise into your face at this compressed speed.

God damn is it gorgeous though. God damn!!

Jarmel

Banned
Gurren Lagann Movie 2

It's gorgeous and it's all my favourite scenes and it's got some new stuff (some really hype new stuff I didn't know about at all!) but a cour of TTGL does not survive being crammed into two hours and smacking every surprise into your face at this compressed speed.

God damn is it gorgeous though. God damn!!

I found the movie to be a vast improvement over how awful the pacing was in the 2nd half of TTGL.

Jintor

I found the movie to be a vast improvement over how awful the pacing was in the 2nd half of TTGL.

Nope (imo). Movie spends (thankfully) less time in Rossiu Hell but you get completely blitzed by every single episode climax point smacking you in the face with less than 3 minutes between them, often less. Problems arise and are smacked down in minutes so nothing ends up mattering really.
In particular I felt it kind of robbed Kittan's Giga Drill Breaker because it doesn't seem like an act of desperation and defiance so much as it does 'well here's the designated solution for this problem so we can move on to the next bit'

Once it gets to the original content then the movie starts to feel like it has pacing and direction of its own, but while it's trying to cram as many episodes in as possible it feels way off.

Midonin

KanColle 12

My favorite "cute girls + military" series since Strike Witches. (C3 is really more of a sports show, I think.) A large cast that all got at least some characterization, plenty of important scenes that took place outside of battle, and it was, well, cute. Knowing there's more to come pleases me. I can see the arguments about it being about Japanese imperialism - much in the same way that Hyakkaryouran was - but it's not to Mahouka levels, and as long as things are better than that, I'm fine with it. The show was sort of hinting that the Abyssals are versions of the girls themselves, probably leading to a Neuroi-esque "They're not all mindless beasts" thing in S2, maybe. The CGI for the fight scenes could be better, but it was never distractingly bad. Plus the show gave me Kongou, who is wonderful. Taihou's last second cameo was also a bit of a surprise - wonder who else they'll bring into the fold in S2.

Aikatsu! Akari Generation 126

The last episode before Aikatsu changes its time slot, and introduces two new girls for the second half of S3. Another one of those "day off" episodes, with Akari, Hinaki and Sumire doing bonding and having a cute new song at the end. The primary storybook motifs for the new girls are Pinocchio and Alice in Wonderland, so looking forward to seeing what they bring to the cast. Though on this side of the Pacific, it changing to an earlier time slot doesn't affect me in the slightest.

javac

Still haven't seen the second Lagann film, but I thought that the first film was an improvement over the show...I guess. The characters just aren't interesting enough to spend 27 episodes with, but I can handle 2 hours. I gave Lagann a 6/10 but the first film was a 7, I'm going to watch the next film this week, but I think I'll end up hating that too. Last act of the film was weak, but I liked that it didn't spend too long on the battles, which were weak as fuck in the show and had me falling asleep at moments, especially the final episode. Snooze.

Jintor

Still haven't seen the second Lagann film, but I thought that the first film was an improvement over the show...I guess. The characters just aren't interesting enough to spend 27 episodes with, but I can handle 2 hours. I gave Lagann a 6/10 but the first film was a 7, I'm going to watch the next film this week, but I think I'll end up hating that too. Last act of the film was weak, but I liked that it didn't spend too long on the battles, which were weak as fuck in the show and had me falling asleep at moments, especially the final episode. Snooze.

Lol as a megafan of ttgl I wasn't super into movie 2. You might be able to deduce your own projected response from that, haha.

fell asleep in the final battle rabble rabble. Ain't got no spiral power huh, bub? :p

cajunator

Banned
A lot of it is simply their favorite shipgirl wasn't shown thusly its shit. Some complaints have been along the lines of believing the creators of the anime didn't do their homework regarding the personalities of the girls and the game itself. A fair number don't like the main character Fubuki because she's a very plain shipgirl.

That makes sense. Otakus ard pretty fanatical about this kind of thing.

So I haven't been interested in the Fate series at all, but I see the animation quality is pretty good so I thought I should investigate the anime.

tumblr_myp8req34J1tor0lpo1_500.gif

How much of it is there and do you have to play the visual novels too or is it an adaptation of those visual novels?

Fate Zero is great. Very watchable and a joy. Avoid the others. They are more like a harem than the focused magic war story in Zero.

why people be hating on sabre-chan ;_;

I dont know either. She is the best!

da fuck crunchyroll

been paying for a crunchyroll membership for quite some time now. recently decided to cancel since i don't have much free time to watch and there is no anime i'm currently following

stupid survey poppped up when i tried to cancel so i attempted to bypass it

crunchyroll wont let me cancel until i take their fukin survey

sbt4qs.jpg

Your membership will not be cancelled until you click below.

wtf? never seen any business do this before. i don't feel like taking your fuckin survey right now and i just want to cancel my service.

the actually require you fill out every part of the survey, including section 3 and 4 where you actually have to type a response.

this kinda shit leaves a bad taste in my mouth. fuck off crunchyroll i'm done with you for good.

aight done ventin

Novid was right! We should have listened..

Tuck

da fuck crunchyroll

been paying for a crunchyroll membership for quite some time now. recently decided to cancel since i don't have much free time to watch and there is no anime i'm currently following

stupid survey poppped up when i tried to cancel so i attempted to bypass it

crunchyroll wont let me cancel until i take their fukin survey

sbt4qs.jpg

Your membership will not be cancelled until you click below.

wtf? never seen any business do this before. i don't feel like taking your fuckin survey right now and i just want to cancel my service.

the actually require you fill out every part of the survey, including section 3 and 4 where you actually have to type a response.

this kinda shit leaves a bad taste in my mouth. fuck off crunchyroll i'm done with you for good.

aight done ventin
I mean... it takes like ten seconds. You don't even need to read the questions or give them a meaningful short answer (I usually type a single character)

I agree, its annoying. But its not that annoying.

Cornbread78

The Irregular at Magic High School Episodes 19- fini:

It's done GAF and what a ride is was. In reality, it was only boring for a few episodes at the beginning of the final arc, however, the ending was full of action and helped explain some of the back-story. As you can tell by the final episode, there has to be a second series to tie up a huge number of open ends including:

Mayumi Saegusa- Why did she leave suddenly? Does she really want to marry Tatsuya to get him status into the 10 great clans? She was an awesome character..
Tatsuya- Is he still even human if he has no human emotions left? Can he go back to his student status? Can he be normal again? How is he viewd by his classmates going forward. Wasn't he "released" from his bond with his little sister?
Miyuki Shiba- Can she correct her feelings towads her brother and move on to a relationship with Masaki Ichijō?

Who are Mayumi and Tatsuya's parents? Who is their aunt, what is the full relationship here with the master magician?

So many questions left after the end of the first series. I really hope they do make the second series to continue the story. Thak you to whoever recommended this one, I know it is not universally praised, however, the character developement, the sci-fi injection, the good story arcs and high action sequences made this one well woth it. If they can incorporate the budding love relationship that are shown to be developing (not the brother and sister crap) thsi show could get even better in the second series...

Well, off to continue Puella Magi Madoka Magica and see where those acid trippy dungeons lead me down into the depressive abyss.

javac

Robot Carnival is kind of a big deal, right? For such a notable film, it's strange but I don't think it has ever had a legitimate release on disc in North America before.

Hopefully now that Night on the Galactic Railroad won't be out of print & only available for obscene prices that'll get a bit more exposure as well.

Yup, at least it is for me! The reaction to the announcement on Facebook was touchingly positive too :) Robot Carnival is one of my favorite anime films of all time, I own the LD, Japanese DVD and went as far as to buy some cels for it, and I'll definitely import this too. Super excited, I hope people support it and give it a shot and maybe we'll get Memories :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom