• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Rolling Girls-1
iWr0tBsyjFDlv.png
Yea, I'm not sure I liked this for a few reasons. The first is that this is clearly meant to be the 1st part of a 2 episode opener. So right now it feels like we're still in the prologue point waiting for the sister to die. Which of course has to happen in order to shift the focus to the boring ass fuck younger sister.

The second part is that I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like the main character. "Oh look how just completely average she is, all the while trying to be a good imouto who helps out her sister". Unless she undergoes a drastic character change with the death of her sister, she is not doing anything for me.

Third thing is that this show is very much Japanese. Yes I know that sounds like a very stupid complaint. The major issue driving conflict in the show is over territorial disputes. The problem is that for an audience who isn't familiar with where any of these places are, it's hard to understand what is going on. It sort of reminds me of Hōzuki no Reitetsu and why I couldn't get into that show.

Fourth issue is that this episode felt pretty messy. It's just sort of scattershot and the pacing is fairly quick. This is seemingly the prologue so I'll cut it some slack though.
The animation though is pretty good. Even outside of the fighting sequences, there were some really good cuts like the eating contest. The animation uses a lot of smears and squash/stretch. It's very dynamic in a similar way to Yozakura from 2013.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Rolling Girls-1

Yea, I'm not sure I liked this for a few reasons. The first is that this is clearly meant to be the 1st part of a 2 episode opener. So right now it feels like we're still in the prologue point waiting for the sister to die. Which of course has to happen in order to shift the focus to the boring ass fuck younger sister.

The second part is that I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like the main character. "Oh look how just completely average she is, all the while trying to be a good imouto who helps out her sister". Unless she undergoes a drastic character change with the death of her sister, she is not doing anything for me.

Third thing is that this show is very much Japanese. Yes I know that sounds like a very stupid complaint. The major issue driving conflict in the show is over territorial disputes. The problem is that for an audience who isn't familiar with where any of these places are, it's hard to understand what is going on. It sort of reminds me of Hōzuki no Reitetsu and why I couldn't get into that show.

Fourth issue is that this episode felt pretty messy. It's just sort of scattershot and the pacing is fairly quick. This is seemingly the prologue so I'll cut it some slack though.

The animation though is pretty good. Even outside of the fighting sequences, there were some really good cuts like the eating contest. The animation uses a lot of smears and squash/stretch. It's very dynamic in a similar way to Yozakura from 2013.
I really don't mind the whole warring territories thing especially when it's pretty relaxed and campy like it was here, though I was disappointed the really vibrant art from the intro didn't show up during the actual episode.

Boring MC will be a problem (seriously, not every show needs a boring grounded character to "relate to", give us cool kickass characters plz, or at least give them worthwhile character arc like Simon from TTGL) but hopefully the supporting cast will be quirky enough to pull through.

cajunator

Banned
Its quite rare though....well for me and the anime I choose to watch.

I think we can all agree that harem and the tropes that follow that "genre" are by far the worst.

Yeah NTR is horrible.

Koufuku Graffiti - 1

this show is adorable

Cant wait to watch it tonight!

Yurikuma 1

I... what? I was sorta keeping track up until the courts. Although the flower thing was... everything was...

what?

Yup. Exactly.

KanColle *- 01

Well an excellent episode if you know about the kancolle verse or play the game.. but i'm not sure that was as intresting for people who don't.
But hey they did try to push as many characters as they couldin a single episode so i won't mind depending on how they go from there .

Best girl !

So far, I think I will have to say yes she is.

e_i

Despera is till alive huh? That anime has been kicked around for a decade now? Okay, okay, since 2009, but it's felt like a decade. Good to see it moving forward with a new director.

Kyuur

I'm not really sure where to find this information: do we know if Death Parade and Rolling Girls will be 1 or 2 cours yet?

Despera

Banned
Which anime has NTR? Do you guys even know what it means? :lol
According to the urban dic:

NTR: Japanese acronym for Netorare, used to define a genre of Eroge (Hentai Game), meaning "Cuckold". In short, the main protagonist's loved one(s) are taken or seduced away from him and the heroine might be willing or unwilling. This is to cause an emotion of deep jealousy on the reader.
lol at the bolded

Kansoku

I really need a summary of Durarara's first season, cause I don't remember shit and was super confused with the new season. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Reddit comment on Rolling Girls:

Hopefully that is fixed. I mean it's clear that they cannot uphold that kind of animation quality throughout the entire season but I hope the drop off won't be too drastic either. Looking forward ep3 then if that's where shit's going to happen :>

Actually, that was just based on a single comment on 2chan which yaraon reported on, so it's not exactly a reliable source. It could easily be one person who got upset over fairly loose animation.

Actually, that was just based on a single comment on 2chan which yaraon reported on, so it's not exactly a reliable source. It could easily be one person who got upset over fairly loose animation.

Oh, good to know. Guess I shouldn't just randomly quote stuff :<

Either way we'll see for ourselves soon enough.

Aldnoah.Zero - 13

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT. You're telling me that
absolutely NOONE died?!?! Atleast the Princess I could believe with floating in soup and in coma, how the fuck does Inaho fucking live with a shot through the damn eye socket?!?! I mean at first I thought it was due to futuristic medical tech they were talking about but no that didn't happen because CPR Aldnoah powers (or was it blood?).

Log Horizon S2 14

I think this requires my full attention and I'll have to rewwatch. Many info dumps while I'm grinding professions on the other screen.

Why does a bot pick a healer class? Doesn't make sense to me.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Rolling&#9734;Girls Episode 1:

Well, this was a lot better then I was expecting it to be and I guess sometimes you just need to watch something that is both rock stupid and entertaining. I will say this show needs a much better soundtrack though.

phaze

The only characters worth caring about in Durarara are:

- The headless lady
- Her doctor lover
- Awesome russian dude

I find pretty much everyone in the cast at least mildly enjoyable. Used to dislike Shinra but he got better later.

I really need a summary of Durarara's first season, cause I don't remember shit and was super confused with the new season. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Wiki episode recaps perhaps ?

Log Horizon S2 14

I think this requires my full attention and I'll have to rewwatch. Many info dumps while I'm grinding professions on the other screen.

Might not have been her choice and that's just how she was created.

Beefeater

Banned
WveT88u.png

Everything Imagawa touches is a masterpiece. I wouldn't describe it as Tezuka-inspired art either when nearly every (maybe all!) characters are borrowed from the various works of Mitsuteru Yokoyama.
Well, that mangaka was inspired by Tezuka to make manga in the first place. His style is distinct though, but there are similarities.

I'm sorry to hear that bro.

You don't enjoy being NTR'd?

NTR is the ultimate aphrodisiac you poor folks who haven't experienced just don't know the pure ecstasy. Aldnoah Zero had so much NTR I eventually learned to live. Call me Dr Cheatlove: or How I learned to stop crying and love the NTR.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
But they've kept both the director and series composition dude from S1 going into S2, the only difference between the two series post-studio switch is the art staff ... as far as I know.

Indeed and that is why I have to place the change there since that is what is different and Season 2 has actual directorial ambition and choreography compared to Season 1 where everything was about as dynamic as a Kevin Smith movie.

Rolling&#9734;Girls Episode 1:

Well, this was a lot better then I was expecting it to be and I guess sometimes you just need to watch something that is both rock stupid and entertaining. I will say this show needs a much better soundtrack though.

What are you smoking?

Durarara X2 1

The episode was mostly reintroducing the characters for the most part, but it was still a good first episode. The new opening is a bit of letdown however.

Log Horizon S2 14

She fights with dual shield , so the one who choose that build has great taste.

The reality is that ( true info )
There was 29 bots like her and they picked a weapon of choice and a class choice at random

Firemind

You don't enjoy being NTR'd?

I think it's amusing when readers or viewers associate themselves with the main protagonist and get mad when some injustice occurs to him/her. Like, honestly, why are you getting mad? You're you, not him/her. If you don't want the protagonist struggling and going through hardships, then watch K-On or something where nothing actually happens. People love drama because stuff happens that doesn't happen in their ordinary lives. It's like NTR. Vanilla is dull because it's normal.

Having finished Shinsekai Yori and adoring it, can anyone recommend anything similar? I loved how rich and fleshed out the world and backstory were. Check it out if you're looking for something unique.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Dog Days - 01

After seeing a number of people getting hype for Dog Days' return I decided to give the first episode a look to see what I've been missing. The male lead seems alright. I'm glad he's not some dumb perverted leech that lacks social skills. Seriously, thank goodness. :lol Will continue watching.

Leonmitchelli has my eye, RIP dog kingdom

PK Gaming

Durarara!! X2 1

Didn't really dig this episode. To be honest, I don't see how I could ever fully enjoy the subbed version of DRRR given how attached I was to the english dub. It's not a matter of quality (i'm sure the JP VA cast is quite good) it's just everyone incredibly sounds off to me (especially Shizuo; I goddamn loved Crispin Freeman). But aside from that, my biggest legitimate gripe with the show lies in the fact that they're reusing of old songs. The original OST was phenomenal, but a new OST would have definitely given this season it's own identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom