• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_n6loi3oaeq1st5azho3_400.png

Ill throw something random out. Watch Madlax.

Madlax is alright, but it's the least good of the four 'girls with guns' shows. Watch Noir first, then El Cazador de la Bruja, then Avenger, and maybe Madlax last if you still want more sort of like that.

As for Noir, it's a fantastic show. I remeber some comments about how unrealistic the magic skirts were, though... I mean, both protagonists are wearing short skirts all the time, but there are no pantyshots. The solution in those other three shows (listed above)? The action girls wear shorts in all three cases, not skirts. That solved the issue.

Mature

Patlabor: The Movie Dub

Well I've never seen anything Patlabor before and clearly this was not the spot to start, most of the film was investigation work with characters I feel like I was supposed to already know but didn't. The action at the end was good but the film goes like an hour without any action just lots of investigative work which takes waaaaaay too long to pay off. I also find it strange looking at the poster for this series, and artwork for the series, and a brief series looking over on wikipedia that the main character of the series is Noa when she feels like a minor character for 90% of this film with Asuma really taking the lead role. Noa did get the awesome final action scene but it really felt out of nowhere in the context of the film stand alone as we never see her do anything in a mech until the finale.
Yeah, you made a mistake.

Instro

Parasyte is 2-cour? Not sure if I can continue watching, pretty dull these days. That Brain's Base show seemed like it could be fun, but then I saw who was directing. Nope. Im@s, Ikuahara, JoJo, and Death Parade seem to be the highlights out of the gate. Might bite on one or two more, if I drop Parasyte.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
icETYpS.gif

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 01

Why do I fucking listen to you people? Like what the fuck am I watching? It goes from fucking shy lesbians to some bad version of murder on the polar express or some shit. Then that creepy fucking ending! UGH

~WAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN

Deeper. Go deeper.

wonzo

Banned
all this yami talk makes me sad that i trolled hito over geass spoilers by spergin out over BED-KUN ;-;

Yuki Yuna 8

Figured that's what happened when you use bankai too much.

First real instance of despair, albeit mild. There's some potential in this.

Mushi-shi S2 - 21

This episode had a major impact on me. I thought that a great deal of it was well done, but it had issues, and in particular a problem that I've never experienced before.

These three images are all of the same character. I could post multiple other shots where he looks significantly different. This is embarrassing to admit, but I was temporarily confused at times simply because this guy is indistinct enough featurewise and inconsistently drawn enough to throw me. This actually seriously dampened the big reveal of the episode for me. I can't remember if I've ever been confused like this before, and I'm wondering if anyone else experienced this. Mushi-shi's character designs are usually quite plain, I'm sure that there are several characters from different episodes that would be hard to tell apart if shown side by side, but this just seems like bad art standards that created a disaster in my case.

In terms of writing, I really enjoyed this, up to a point. It was edited really well, keeping the viewer in the dark and uncomfortable without being obtuse. The foreshadowing was well done, and certain details made rewatching extra rewarding. However, it kind of falls apart near the end. First off, I'm shocked by how incredibly cold Ginko is portrayed as being. We know he's not exactly the warmest person, but (serious spoilers here)
suspecting that the man killed his brother, and still leaving the nephew with him? Really?
This seems absurdly callous, or more likely something that they hoped would be overlooked in favor of the central plot. Unfortunately that central plot also falls down seemingly just to create a heavily ironic ending, with (more serious spoilers)
Shigeru becoming comically psychopathic when Sousuke tells him he knows the truth, after being a character that is convincingly human and wracked by guilt for most of the episode.
It seems like the writers ran out of options or time here, and it's too bad because I think the main drama works.

One other detail that I found odd was
Shigeru's reaction to Shinobu's initial approach in the confession flashback. At this point, Shinobu's been uncomfortable with even talking about Shigeru "for some years now" according to Sousuke (which is also strange, since Shinobu's crime took place 10 years ago, but Sousuke looks to not even be in his teens, so how could he remember when they were still on good terms? Did Shinobu maintain a relationship with Shigeru for years after Yuri's death only to suddenly be overwhelmed by guilt so long after the fact?), so it stands to reason he hasn't had much of a relationship with him, but Shigeru greets him like a loving brother. Plus there's Shinobu's line "I have a son of my own," which seems to just be stating something Shigeru would already know for no reason, except maybe to set up the line directly afterward, in which case it's needlessly awkward.
Like I said, I like the core of this story a lot, but the episode as a whole could've used some real tightening up.

Jex

Anyhow, thought it might be fun to toy with the idea of New Year’s resolution nonsense (past the universal one we all share of watching less anime) and having folk picking some backlog stuff to finally get to this year rather than putting off for one reason or another. More than likely it’s something popular that might engender some discussion rather than people talking past one another and, frankly, deadline pressure doesn’t hurt. I wouldn’t get too involved though given how life can throw one a curveball nor would I expect everyone to post about every episode watched but hey, there’s still good stuff for most of us to watch yet.

To get us started, I took an informal poll of some people to help serve as an example. Something, say, like one long series, a couple short series, a handful of movies, or some sort of combination would be ideal. It’s not meant to be a burden but rather that extra push to chisel away at the lingering part of the ol’ backlog.
I'm disgusted how few people are planning to watch Silver Fang!

Not that I can blame anyone - this season is fairly packed!

Cross Ange 13

136d2807ea.jpg

LESBIANS FOR EVERYBODY! Too bad the next episode is Ange and Tusk, can the yuri dream live on against the mighty force of Rito Yamato's penis? Really it could go either way the OP isn't playing sides

Eh, New OP is alright.

For all you who wanted this to turn into a revenge/burn the world down story, well here you go. This was close to that final scene in Ground Zeroes. Except Jesus was there, and not in the joke Kira/Onii-sama way, this guy literally said he would carry the burden of their sins and was healing people.

I have zero clue where this is going, with the demons, dragons, angels, alternate dimension lesbians, and Jesus. I'm not sure the writers know where this is going either.
Oh and the singing. Can't forget the singing.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Attack on Titan 22

Man the pacing and writing on this episode was the fantastic for once.

Show's really finishing with a bang.

Shirobako 4

Voice actress time? Awesome.

The gang's finally back together!

Oh this little punk lol

Ping Pong 4

A marked lack of animation here, with some really fugly bits.

but then came Kong's match

and dear lord I never thought ping pong could be so fucking epic.

Mushishi Zoku Shou 14

Aww yeah the Shiver OP is back hell yeah

again, really calm powerful episode, that mist effect from the first person view was really special

Parasyte 4

Oh shit, that's a death flag.

yo he's totally changing

Blood-C 4

FUCK IS SHE GONNA SING EVERY FUCKING EPISODE

did you just jump up to a tree branch in front of everyone? is no one gonna comment ob this?

wow this fucking girl

this is so boring

how old is this cook dude anyways. fucking creeper.

yo that's some brutal shit again

seriously this show is such a goddamn tonal dichotomy

get fuck rekt scrub

so we don't even care about the dudes who got turned into monster munch? kk just checking

there's something weird about this teacher

Arjuna 4

this kid is useless

but serious fuck this chris fucker

lol this Obi-Wan Kenobi motherfucker

DAMN CITY KIDS NOT KNOWING WHAT TO EAT IN THE WILD FUCK MODERNITY

how the fuck are you growing all that shit in one plot. you don't shit about farming.

oh you're one of those like hippie farmers lol

WHY DO YOU KILL BUGS because they're fucking bugs fucker

this some serious hippy power trip

uhhh yeah. humans are a lot fucking different bugs moron.

oooowaaoooowaaa

what with the irish folk music i thought we were in japan

i...i don't even know what's going on anymore

this is the dumbest fucking shit

wow that's some horrible CG

WE'RE ORGANIC LOSER THAT'S SOMEHOW BETTER

this CG is killing me

yooooo wait you're this organic farming fucking hermit and you're still smoking fucking cigarettes :lol

this is so fucking hamfisted

yeah fuck urban life you should be a fucking dirty hippy and be one with nature that the way it should be idiots

this is anti-GMO all-natural wackjobs wetdream anime

this is killing me

alright, i'm out for now

phaze

Gonna be watching:

Tokyo Ghoul - Best beatdowns this side of Nisemonogatari. Migh put it in on hold if the censorship will be awful again.
Aldnoah Zero - lol
Durarara - Best barman returns.
Haremsyte - ...

Will check out:
Death Parade - The short was alright but I can see it getting old fast.
Yatterman - For nostalgia sake.

And wait for the impressions from other shows.

New Year Resolutions ?

Gintama - At least 30 eps to give it a proper chance to grab me.
Ghibli movies - I might have seen one years ago but I barely remember anything. from it.
Naruto filler hell - I've got nothing.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Why do I fucking listen to you people? Like what the fuck am I watching? It goes from fucking shy lesbians to some bad version of murder on the polar express or some shit. Then that creepy fucking ending! UGH

~WAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN

oh god

brace yourself

Jex

How come no is talking about/is hyped about Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 2?

I never get these threads man!

Because we're getting three more seasons of Durzzz and zero more seasons of Baccano!. In other words, there is no justice and the world is not square.

fertygo

Cross Ange - 13

Can't believe I really watching this show for the plot now. I mean we fighting Jesus now, male singing hymnos jesus.

BluWacky

I'm going to try and watch some anime this season.

It's not going to last.

Plans:

Yuri Kuma Arashi - Ikuhara :bow :bow. The more I hear and see, the less worried I am about it. Disappointed by the endless pantyshots in the promo art but hopefully Ikuni will make up for it with some more genuine usage of sexuality.

Death Parade - liked Death Billiards a lot. I suspect this may get a little repetitive - my understanding is that it'll be different "trials" each time? - but the "pilot" was excellent and assured in its handling.

Junketsu no Maria - I think I read some of the manga for this once and loathed it - I'm also no great fan of where Moyashimon ended up going. Yet the trailer manages to conjure an interesting atmosphere.

Fafnir EXODUS - UMBRELLA OF SMILES UMBRELLA OF SMILES UMBRELLA OF SMILES. For nostalgia's sake (and for an Angela OP) I will watch an episode.

Yoru no Yatterman - I dunno, this doesn't look like it's going to appeal to me very much, but it does at least have interesting art.

Why are there so many ONE BOY MANY GIRLS shows? Even if we're not supposed to call them harem shows any more, it's pretty dull. Particularly when one of them is noitaminA :( it's probably a good thing the block is going back to half an hour only :(

Cross Ange - 13

We EoE now.

tumblr_n8xp77kZ1q1sefquto2_250.gif

Well, poor man's EoE of course, minus the budget, minus Anno's direction. Still, it had a few heavy scenes,
with little girls being burned to death.

So we have the bad guy being bad guy and also being a faux-Jesus at the same time, he wants to destroy the world (Rapture?) but not without that much violence so he resurrects a pair of girls, and talks of taking all the blame and sins. But the series uses up this to "cheat"
and give us dramatic moments like Chris death just to be after revived by him. Same with Vivian, it seemed that he was going to be kidnapped by the bad guys, maybe to create a future plot thread but no, she was rescued in extremis.
And as I guessed, he kills off Julio, yay!

Embryo also sings, which caused exclaiming to myself "but of course~!"

What else. Salia vs Ange is still an ongoing issue, I doubt she liked being cut and sunk that way.

fertygo

I'm going to try and watch some anime this season.

It's not going to last.

Plans:

Yuri Kuma Arashi - Ikuhara :bow :bow. The more I hear and see, the less worried I am about it. Disappointed by the endless pantyshots in the promo art but hopefully Ikuni will make up for it with some more genuine usage of sexuality.

Death Parade - liked Death Billiards a lot. I suspect this may get a little repetitive - my understanding is that it'll be different "trials" each time? - but the "pilot" was excellent and assured in its handling.

Junketsu no Maria - I think I read some of the manga for this once and loathed it - I'm also no great fan of where Moyashimon ended up going. Yet the trailer manages to conjure an interesting atmosphere.

Fafnir EXODUS - UMBRELLA OF SMILES UMBRELLA OF SMILES UMBRELLA OF SMILES. For nostalgia's sake (and for an Angela OP) I will watch an episode.

Yoru no Yatterman - I dunno, this doesn't look like it's going to appeal to me very much, but it does at least have interesting art.

Why are there so many ONE BOY MANY GIRLS shows? Even if we're not supposed to call them harem shows any more, it's pretty dull. Particularly when one of them is noitaminA :( it's probably a good thing the block is going back to half an hour only :(
Let get real, one female many boys is just as much and lately more successful.

TUSR

Banned
Strike Witches Movie

thats was actually pretty good

hartmann >>>

Prisma Illya 2wei Specials 1-4

horrible

Jex

[Cross Ange] - 13

So when all your animators are working on G-Reco and the rest of your animators are working on GBF:Try what you get is the action scenes in Cross Ange. It ain't pretty.

Anyway, in this episode even more dumb things happened than unusual. No, really. Space Jesus turned up and then Embryo-Jesus turned up to heal the sick and carry Ange's sins.

Pooya

he's not jesus, he probably just genetically engineered himself way too much. I'm looking forward to the revelation that they're all inside Matrix.

Anything is possible with Cross Ange, you really can't predict.

----

Clever naming though, first I thought it's Cross Ange(r) but now it's also Cross Ange(l) lolol

Sigh. They raised the title screen in the final "splash shot" of the opening, so people can admire Ange's white panties in the opening, before the view was blocked by the words.

How do you rank Sanya? Consider your answer very carefully.
She MIGHT be on my top ten. The lower end.

Deeper. Go deeper.
You are a terrible person.

Cross Ange - 13

hLsNwMf.jpg

Savior Status

This episode man. I dunno even know where the fuck this is all going. They go full massacre on all the little girls and older girls. Then we lose a couple of the mains girls and suddenly fucking Jesus shows up and just fucking heals those two girls totally negating the impact of their deaths. Salia gets beaten by Ange, AGAIN, assuring that she is the plot's whipping girl and that she is going to do something really fucking stupid later in the story to make the audience hate her. But fuck it I'm behind whatever they have her do at this point. Julio fucking died though so that's something I guess.

~WAN

Jex

~WAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN
This review still makes more sense than Yami itself.

Thoraxes

Cross Ange - 12

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is incredible. Just when I think this ride can't stop,
all the DRAGONs are actually people.

Pure entertainment. It's glorious.

I just have this smug grin on my face whenever I watch this show. It's so good.

Dandte

@EmmanuelMunoz "Was Bacanno! on your list?"

Looks Good, will watch this.

Anime i'm Interested in:
Saenai Heroineno Sodate-kata
Rolling Girls
Hana to Alice Satsujin Jiken
Anime de Wakaru Shinryounaika

Jex

Sigh. They raised the title screen in the final "splash shot" of the opening, so people can admire Ange's white panties in the opening, before the view was blocked by the words.

Cross Ange is just being true to itself and the audience! No point hiding the trash!

Pooya

supposedly the final finished OP is actually way worse with nudity actually.

cajunator

Banned
RHShn6A.jpg

These were a thing? I guess I can do that

I never even heard of this. Sell it on me

Madlax is another of those "girl with a mysterious past is thrown into a situation where she must use her skills to survive as she rediscovers who she is and why they are after her" sort of shows. Like Noir, but less intelligent, and with more military action. It has some kickass music though and a few good episodes sprinkled throughout. Mainly its just something totally new to you and most of this community so it might be worth adventuring into. Or you could just watch Noir if you want.

Blood-C 4

FUCK IS SHE GONNA SING EVERY FUCKING EPISODE

did you just jump up to a tree branch in front of everyone? is no one gonna comment ob this?

wow this fucking girl

this is so boring

how old is this cook dude anyways. fucking creeper.

yo that's some brutal shit again

seriously this show is such a goddamn tonal dichotomy

get fuck rekt scrub

so we don't even care about the dudes who got turned into monster munch? kk just checking

there's something weird about this teacher

Arjuna 4

this kid is useless

but serious fuck this chris fucker

lol this Obi-Wan Kenobi motherfucker

DAMN CITY KIDS NOT KNOWING WHAT TO EAT IN THE WILD FUCK MODERNITY

how the fuck are you growing all that shit in one plot. you don't shit about farming.

oh you're one of those like hippie farmers lol

WHY DO YOU KILL BUGS because they're fucking bugs fucker

this some serious hippy power trip

uhhh yeah. humans are a lot fucking different bugs moron.

oooowaaoooowaaa

what with the irish folk music i thought we were in japan

i...i don't even know what's going on anymore

this is the dumbest fucking shit

wow that's some horrible CG

WE'RE ORGANIC LOSER THAT'S SOMEHOW BETTER

this CG is killing me

yooooo wait you're this organic farming fucking hermit and you're still smoking fucking cigarettes :lol

this is so fucking hamfisted

yeah fuck urban life you should be a fucking dirty hippy and be one with nature that the way it should be idiots

this is anti-GMO all-natural wackjobs wetdream anime

this is killing me

alright, i'm out for now

Taking on both of these shows at one time. You are truly a beast. Or at least very foolhardy.

She MIGHT be on my top ten. The lower end.

You are a terrible person.

Cross Ange - 13

This episode man. I dunno even know where the fuck this is all going. They go full massacre on all the little girls and older girls. Then we lose a couple of the mains girls and suddenly fucking Jesus shows up and just fucking heals those two girls totally negating the impact of their deaths. Salia gets beaten by Ange, AGAIN, assuring that she is the plot's whipping girl and that she is going to do something really fucking stupid later in the story to make the audience hate her. But fuck it I'm behind whatever they have her do at this point. Julio fucking died though so that's something I guess.

~WAN

Hmmm. I think thats far too low. Disappointing.

What exactly is this show about?
It's a GTO type of manga , you just replace onizuka by an alien - like creature.

it's fun , the cast has plenty of strong points

He hasn't directed a lot of things I'm really fond of, but he does have Humanity Has Declined and Carnival Phantasm under his belt. I loved both of those, so I wouldn't dismiss the show based off him alone.

However, he's directing it with the same studio that he did Danganronpa with. Now that's a good reason for your hype to deflate!

*Sigh*

I ...want to believe.

Deadly

Cross Ange 13
I thought I was watching Gundam Seed Destiny for a second there holy shit. The director needs to change his fucking openings, its exactly the same. The reused scenes is hilarious too. I know it's normal to do that but it's so blatant here (and in GSD).

Also, where the fuck is this show even heading? It's 2cour right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom